Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Copyrights... Do I Need Them?

Author Topic: Copyrights... Do I Need Them?
A_Bear
Member # 1212

- posted      Profile for A_Bear   Email A_Bear         Edit/Delete Post 
If I make a submission to an editor, or a workshop, do I need to have my work already copyrighted?

I noticed that copyrights can cost around $70, is there any way around that?

Any insight/experience out there dealing with copyrights?

Thank You

Arron

Posts: 30 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
$70 Where did you get that from? Copyright cost $30 right now at the US copyright site. That's it. I just did one.

One: your work is copyrighted as soon as you write it.

Two: editors ect. know this. Don't insult them by putting the little copyright symbol on your work or informing them you have copyrighted the work.

So do you need to copyright the work? Since you do own the copyright the answer is no---but--if someone were to take the work you have no proof it was yours other than your say so.

To dispel a myth here as well---many books have said that you can mail a copy to yourself and then don't open it--proof that it is yours written before the thief published it. THIS WILL NOT STAND IN COURT!

You can take a synopsis to a notary republic and get it notarized for whatever fee they charge. I have been told this will stand in court.

So, it is up to you. You have the copyright once it is written, but not legal protection if someone wants to steal it. Most writers are so much in love with their own work that they rarely want anyone else’s. As to needing it when submitting for publication---professionals wouldn’t stay in business if they were thieves looking for work to steal.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.