Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » My is getting confused......

Author Topic: My is getting confused......
Soule
Member # 1250

- posted      Profile for Soule   Email Soule         Edit/Delete Post 
My gets confused easily, but I was wondering, how would one become part of one of the groups? Help!
Posts: 79 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
A_Bear
Member # 1212

- posted      Profile for A_Bear   Email A_Bear         Edit/Delete Post 
You all ready have, since you can post messages. It will take about a month and kathleen will assign you to a five person group.

Arron

Posts: 30 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Go to

http://www.hatrack.com/writers/writers/index.shtml

which will tell you how the writers groups work.

After you've read that page, please select "How to Join" which is in the column on the left side of the webpage. This will take you to a page where you can read about joining a group and getting a group area assigned to you.

After you've read that, please select "Please fill out this form" which will take you to a page where you can enter the answers to the questions for our application form.

Once you've filled out the form and sent it on to me, I will work on finding or creating a group for you to participate in. It make take a few weeks
before there are enough other people with the same interests as you, but I
will contact you about a group as soon as possible.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen, this raises a question. What are you looking for, and what are others looking for in a writing group? You may recall I've asked around here before what other people are working on, and there are very few shorts writers here (at least that post regularly in the forums). Are most working on novels, and critiquing chapters as they come along?

I for one won't be working on a longer piece for quite some time, focussing instead on my shorter pieces. Are groups formed around pieces other than novels?

And what is Literary Boot Camp? How does one get involved in it?

Thanks,
JP

Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Soule
Member # 1250

- posted      Profile for Soule   Email Soule         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!!

[This message has been edited by Soule (edited August 23, 2001).]

Posts: 79 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
JP, when someone signs up for a group, I put them on a waiting list depending on the kinds of things they say they want to write and are willing to give feedback on.

The lists are usually novel, varied-length fiction, short fiction, varied-length fiction and poetry, varied-length fiction and nonfiction, and varied-length fiction, poetry, and nonfiction.

I haven't had enough people for a purely short fiction group for a while, so I just put short fiction people in the varied-length fiction groups which have people who are writing either or both lengths.

I try to create groups according to the kinds of fiction (SF/F, mainstream, romance, and so on) people say they want to write and are willing to critique (which is why the form asks about lengths and types as well as genres).

By the way, the pickier someone is, the longer they have to wait until there are enough people for a group for them.

There are more people interested in writing short and long, than there are interested in writing just long (so there are more varied-length groups than novels only groups), but there are probably more novelists in the varied-length groups than short story writers.

Does that help clarify things?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

(JP asked about the Literary Boot Camp.)

Literary Boot Camp was a workshop Card had this summer, and the participants get to go to a private space on the website to continue their participation.

There was stuff about it on the homepage for quite a long time. I guess you don't come in that way?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.