Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Good writer's resource

Author Topic: Good writer's resource
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently read the book Confrontation in Space: the wars of the future will be fought in space, by G. Harry Stine.

Pros
What a great source for anyone interested in writing militaristic or action/adventure science fiction! Stine considers the technology of space weaponry and the inherent properties of space itself to predict what warfare in space will be like in the next 50 or so years. Reading gave me innumerable background details for my writing, plus several ideas for full-fledged stories.

He examines the basic doctrines of space warfare, the technology of future weapons, and even issues such as "unconventional warfare."

Cons
It was written in 1981, so some of it is out of date, primarily the politics. Stine often predicted "by 1990" or "by 2000" this or that will happen. He was wrong; they're all looking more like 2010 or 2015.

(But, he did put in the caveat, "barring total political or economic collapse of the USA or USSR." Well, he got THAT right!)

Much of the politics could be fixed by replacing "USSR" with "China" and "Europe" with "Taiwan;" it's still a good reference.

You'll have to buy it used, but it's worth it.

(Everything I've read by Stine was well worth the time and money.)

[This message has been edited by chad_parish (edited August 27, 2001).]

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, I print a monthly newsletter for new and aspiring SF/F/H writers and I'd like to include your review. May I?

There is a free downloadable copy of the newsletter in PDF format if you'd like to see what I'm asking for permission to put your review in.

It's at
http://www.burgoyne.com/pages/workshop

and all you need to read it is Adobe Acrobat Reader (which is also free).

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
You do, Kathleen? Is that related to Hatrack, or is it an independent thing? If it is related to the site, I haven't seen or heard of it.
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen,

Sure!

I could write a more formal one if you like. What's the deadline, word count limit, etc?

Chad

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I do the newsletter every month and put it together right around the middle of each month, so you could consider that a deadline. Word count would be around 500 words. (I also print articles on writing--range is 800-1200 words, though longer is okay if the article needs it. Payment is only in copies, however.)

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

JP, the SF and Fantasy Workshop is a by-mail workshop that I've been doing for almost 20 years. (I didn't start it, but I more or less inherited it.)

It is still by mail, but it is also by email (and the newsletter is free via email).

Because of the SF and Fantasy Workshop, OSC asked me to do the writing groups here.

So they're only indirectly related.

JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I remember reading that in OSC's How to Write SF & Fantasy book. Sorry, silly me *grin*
And by the way, I'm JK, not JP. Sorry to disappoint! *grin*
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Oops! Sorry about that JK. You people with similar names.... (Consider it an example of why character names should be as different as possible so readers won't get confused.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.