Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Boot Camp

Author Topic: Boot Camp
slnease
Member # 1254

- posted      Profile for slnease   Email slnease         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I have read, it sounds like the Literary Boot Camp is closed to new interest. Will there be another one in the future? How can I get in on it? Thanks. Stephanie
Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if there will be another one.

I'm sure that OSC would be willing to do another one, but it would depend on a lot of things.

I'd recommend watching the home page every so often, especially in the spring.

I'll let you all know if I hear anything, okay?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I remeber seeing something on it, but in my quick cursory glance I remember thinking that it was an actual class he was teaching at some university. Clearly I didn't look at it too closely.

I'd love to hear news if there ever is another one. Thanks, Kathleen.

Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Liza
Member # 1123

- posted      Profile for Liza   Email Liza         Edit/Delete Post 
The Literary Boot Camp was a "real" class, and I think the section on the website is for students of that class to keep in communication. It was advertised a few months ago as part of a writer's retreat in North Carolina. I think it was this summer, but i can't really remember. Might have been the spring.
Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

- posted      Profile for PaganQuaker   Email PaganQuaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Literary Boot Camp was in the beginning of July of this year, and taken together with Uncle Orson's Writing Class, lasted almost a full week. "Boot Camp" is a good description, since we didn't get much sleep and did critique after critique. I can't speak for other participants, but it was exactly what I needed, helping me understand specific problems a story can fall prey to and how to avoid them, as well as what the feeling of something that's really working is. Ah, that's a bad summary. Anyway, I got a lot out of it. It was at the University of North Carolina/Greensboro.

I understood that this was the first time he had tried this format, which is to say an intense critique group with this many (20) writers in it. The schedule was basically this: Some really good lecture and exercises during Uncle Orson's Writing Class (much of which covered the territory in OSC's _Character and Viewpoint_, although of course much better than can be done in a book alone), then a break over the Fourth of July during which we each wrote a story, then intensive critique of the stories and all of the learning that came with that for the actual Boot Camp part.

I don't know if he expects to do it again the same way, but the way it worked this time was that a notice was posted here and on the UNCG Web site (and probably elsewhere). To get in, you submit the first page of a story, and then up to 20 people are chosen from the group that submits.

The cost was substantial (I think in the neighborhood of $700, not counting travel or lodging or anything) and for me worth every penny. If I succeed in breaking down Gordon Van Gelder's (F&SF) or Gardner Dozois's (Asimov's) endurance and finally get something published, I should probably earn that back in a scant ten years or so of short story writing. (Kidding, just kidding. But I will wear them out. One day they'll finally say, "Another Luc Reid story? Oh, for cripes' sake, just buy the damn thing and get it off my desk. Why can't he just leave us alone?")

Luc

[This message has been edited by PaganQuaker (edited September 07, 2001).]

Posts: 380 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.