Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Writing Insights

Author Topic: Writing Insights
Augustine
Member # 1265

- posted      Profile for Augustine           Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps this is too broad of a topic, but I would like to know about the insights into the craft of writing you all have gained. Not every insight; that would be far too much. Not the insights that make you whack your forehead with the heel of your hand and say "duh." Those are too common. I'm interested in that one insight where the light when off, where you jumped up and had to walk of the excitement off, where you said, "Hey, baby, this is it!"

Now I'm a beginner, so for me my insight may be old hat to many of you. But recently, it hit me that what makes a story are the characters. Foolish of me to think otherwise, you might say. But in my chosen creative field--namely, speculative fiction--a heavy hand is laid on ideas and world-building. Stanley Schmidt, the editor of Analog, defines the science fiction story as a story that wouldn't be without the science. The same is true for both fantasy and horror.

And when writers talk about their work, they talk about the development of ideas. Stephen King talks about the "What if..." question. "What if vampires invaded a small New England town?" And so he wrote Salem's Lot. But what about the characters, Steve, what about Ben? Where did he come from?

So I spent a lot of time thinking about ideas, and when I began writing I would give up about 10% into the story. I have six unfinished novels that barely made it past the 15,000-word marker. And I couldn't figure out why, until recently. Over the past two months, I have read a number of hard-core SF stories that I absolutely despised. I asked myself why this was so. And then the light went off -- I didn't care a flip about the characters.

I stared looking back on some of my favorite books, and I discovered that it was the characters that intrigued me, not the idea, not the background. For example, Ender's Game would be a boring story if it was only about developing a child genius into a military genius. But that's only the situation. The story's about a person, Ender, whose only desire is for friendship, acceptance, and love. It's about his fear of becoming the one person he hates the most, Peter, and about his craving for Peter to love him.

Another example is The Silence of the Lambs. The situation is about a serial killer who is about to murder a senator's daughter. But the real story--the main course, if you will--is Clarice and Lector's relationship. It about Clarice's deep feelings of guilt due to a childhood incident. It's about her coming to terms with herself. And it's about Lector, about this macabre yet strangely sophisticated individual that you both hate and admire.

So storytelling is about the characters, who they are, what they do, how and why they act the way they do, how they respond to events around them, and how that makes them feel. I have read OSC's book, Character and Viewpoint twice before this insight came. I knew the theory. It made sense; it was logical. But I never understood the rationale of characterization intuitively. Now I do. And it's great.

I have pulled out one of those unfinished novels and have spent all my creative energy on the characters. The story is now about 200% better than before, because they characters are fat and round, not thin and transparent. And I know I will finish it, because I know the characters.

So, what is that one writing insight that has totally changed the way you think about storytelling? I know I can learn a lot from you all.

[This message has been edited by Augustine (edited October 03, 2001).]

Posts: 39 | Registered: Sep 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that I can pick just one insight, because I-- like everyone else here-- am constantly learning both from what I enjoy reading and from books like "On Writing."

I absolutely agree with your assertion that a plot can be great and the concept might be exceptional, but if you don't care about the characters NO ONE is going to read (or at least finish) your novel. In everything I enjoy-- books, TV, movies-- it's the characters that grip you. In the end, everything else is really just scenery. (That is not to say that if the rest of it is bad, it'll be a good book, but....)

Two 'insights' that have helped me the most recently are 1) read and 2) research before you ever put pen to paper. I used to be an avid reader, but then felt that I should spend more time writing and I cut out a whole lot of reading. Big mistake. It absolutely does fuel your creativity and whether you are aware of it or not, shows you what to do and what not to do. Read voraciously, and I recommend branching out to read books that you might not ordinarily think of. In writing my fantasy novel (65,000+ words so far), reading "Ghost Soldiers" and "An Archer's Tale" helped give me additional insight that I might not have otherwise gotten by reading my usual dose of Koontz, Card, Gemmell, etc.

#2 Research. I found an incredibly useful site that recommended new authors thoroughly 'research' their world and gave a boat load of questions that you should answer before beginning to craft your novel. These questions helped you to understand the nuances of your world's society, culture, history, etc. It's really just background stuff-- and it may never appear directly in your novel-- but by fleshing out your world so that you have an intimate knowledge of it, you will be not only help prevent narrative inconsistencies, but will have more believable characters. Who you are as a person is based in no small part on your environment. Although I had some general ideas about my characters, fleshing out my world FIRST made it infinitely easier to flesh out my characters and give them real substance in light of what I'd discovered about the world I had created.

Anyway. Enough rambling.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Red Wolf
Member # 1237

- posted      Profile for Red Wolf           Edit/Delete Post 
Sili, what's the addy to that sight, or what's the questions. I could use something to help me flesh out my worlds.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
when you were describing your little "revelation", it reminded me of one of my own.

a few years ago i was beginning a second draft for a novel i'm still picking at. i knew there was something i didn't like about the way it was written. the plot itself was fine, the characters, the development of the plot, etc. there wasn't any reason i could think of; i just wasn't being drawn into the story.

it took a while to figure it out. like Sili said above, reading is vitally important. i was reading OSC, actually, when i figured it out. i was getting really into this book and suddenly i asked myself why. it was like my subconcious (my concious was too busy reading) self whopped me on the head and said "hey! what the heck makes this book worth the time?"

and you know what my concious said? it said, "shhh! let me finish this part... i have to find out what happens after..."

that's when it dawned on me. the problem with my book was with its "flow", if you will. the books that keep my attention constantly have something going on. or something big you know will happen just around the corner. or is it page? anyway, i went back to my book and noticed there were brief periods that didn't contain any riveting minor conflicts. the only real suspence was in the main plot, and that wouldn't be resolved until the end of the book. they were only brief periods, most no more than a page, but it was enough.

what did that mean for me? i had to go back, pull my book apart, and add a whole bunch of background issues that didn't need to be worked on constantly, but added suspense to my gaps. they tied in later on and kept my readers (alright, i don't have many readers, mainly friends and family, but hey,) curious as to what would happen next.

does that help you at all? it's one of those duh things, i know, but then, so is interesting characters

just my two cents

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

[This message has been edited by Cosmi (edited October 02, 2001).]

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
Where to begin...?

Okay, first, I must disagree with some of what y'all said. I DON'T demand good characterization. If I have the choice between a well-characterized and a poorly-characterized book, all other things being equal, OF COURSE I'll read the well-characterized one. If all other things AREN'T equal, however...

All I DEMAND is original, accurate scienctific speculation. Original AND accurate -- reprising a scienctific idea Heinlein did in the 50's doesn't count, no matter how accurate (unless you EXPAND it). Just making something up doesn't count, either; work the math!

Similarly, this is why I don't read fantasy. Tolkein knew history, mythology and linguistics, which made his writing the best in the genre. He also invented, perfected, and beat to death, the quasi-mideval Europe setting. Everyone else is stuck in his shadow. I wish more people would set their fantsy in non-European settings. Conan the Barbarian was a great movie because it was set in a prehistoric (pre-mideval!) Europe and Asia, which we haven't seen a million times before. If I had any inclination toward fantasy (I don't, but if I did) I'd learn about ancient micronesia and the Pacific islands. HOW MANY good stories could be set amonst the island chains of the south Pacific? Every island is its own world!

But, it's healthy for different people to have different tastes. The free market will serve us all.

Rant over. Sorry. Feel free to flame me, I earned it.

ANYway... back to insights.

I've got two insights that I think other people might find interesting.

1) You don't need to think of very many ideas; there are plenty out there to steal.

Yes, you heard me. I spend most of my non-writing free time reading science and engineering books, magazines, journals and websites. Every now and then, I find a great scientific idea that I haven't seen turned into a SF story yet.

Those ideas that lead to a full story are kind of rare, but they are out there.

The best reason to read science books, etc., is to get the kind of background details that make a story seem more real.

For example, my current project requires that the spaceship loose much of its air reserve; the characters are living under low atmospheric pressure.

These means sounds don't carry well; you have to yell to be heard. That's perhaps just one sentance in the story, but that's the kind of detail that makes the reader -- me, anyway -- feel like they're there.

You can steal other ideas, too. I read military history, to get a glimpse of the mind of my characters in the service, for example. (When I treid to join ROTC in college, they turned me down [eyesight]. I've often regretted that I didn't serve. Since the Black September War started, I've felt like a worm.)

I've been predicting for YEARS that terrorism will be the bane of the 21st century. (I'm sorry to have been proven right.) I'm reading about the troubles in Northern Ireland. This can give some interesting insights into mindsets on both sides of the law.

Note: you can't read about something you aren't interested in. If your bent is fantasy, read history, or whatever. Browse the library and pick whatever strikes your fancy.

2) Often, my characters are attempting to solve their problem, then they come to a sudden stop, and say, "Well, what next?"

I lean back in my chair and reply, "I don't know!"

That means I haven't thought out my background enough. Typically, I sketch a map of the city, calculate (in greater detail) the orbital mechanics of the spaceship, or whatever; basically, if I just think more about the setting, I can normally see what they might try next.

[This message has been edited by chad_parish (edited October 03, 2001).]

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
WillC
Member # 185

- posted      Profile for WillC   Email WillC         Edit/Delete Post 
My main single insight:

Treat all aspects of your composition equally. Do not just focus on character, or on plot, or on grammar, or what have you. Treat them all as if each is the single most inportant part of your story. Study, practice and apply.

The reason for this is that recently I have been involved with an online workshop and also have had a piece critted by another experienced writer. Both of these, as well as most of my other work has been judged "powerful", "intense", and "hard hitting imagery". Yet all have been rejected over and over again. And that is because even though these qualities are great in a story, the VEHICLE of the story was weak. It is like putting the engine of a Mercedes into the body of a Yugo. It just doesn't run right.

By the way, how the heck did you guys add the formatting?

Will.

[This message has been edited by WillC (edited October 03, 2001).]

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Red, ask and ye shall receive!! This is an incredibly useful site period:

http://www.sfwa.org/writing/

and from that site, you'll find tons of useful info, tips, etc. by 'the big boys.'

The specific site (from the above link) that has the world building questions is

http://www.sfwa.org/writing/worldbuilding1.htm

I've done about 75-80% of these questions totalling about 30 pages (yes, you read right) of world-building notes. You'll find questions like:

- How far back are there records or tales of historical events? How widely known are these stories?
- Which peoples/etc. are considered the most civilized and why?
- What are the rules of magic?
- What customs surround a birth and the introduction of a new child to the family? For the death of a family member?
- Are there classes of people/beings who are never introduced to other classes of people/beings?
- How has the presence of magic and magicians affected law and government?
- What is the basic style of government?
- What type of military present? How is it organized?
- What industries (ie mining, farming, etc.) are important, and in which areas?
- What do people generally look like? Would a blonde (redhead, brunette) stand out in a crowd? Someone 5' 10" tall?

Patricia C. Wrede is the author of this absolutely insightful tool, and I have to give her many kudos for helping to 'arm' me for the battle I was to face when I began writing my novel.

Hope those links helped!

[This message has been edited by SiliGurl (edited October 03, 2001).]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Augustine
Member # 1265

WillC --

For answers to your question about formatting, go to the following page.
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/ubbcode.html

It instructs you how add hyperlinks, make words bold and italics, how to use the (most obnoxious) quote separator, etc.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Soule
Member # 1250

- posted      Profile for Soule   Email Soule         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...my own revelation?

For any of you who have read even one of my messages, you may have realized that tying my shoes is a revelation. However, a writing revelation is a much different thing.

Of these, I have had few. ;P

I have found, through much hardship, that it IS the characters that make the story, and, often, the little pricks can change it quite suddenly, without your consent or even your knowledge.

Poof...it's changed.

It has been my expierience (sort of) that it is much more helpful to sit down and create your "world" in your mind - how it exists, where it exists, some of it's background, ect. Not all of it, mind you - just enough to give you a basic idea of how the characters' world works a bit. Even this can change - it's just a begginning. Then, create your characters' begginnings, however you may choose to do that. Then, just sit back and do your stuff. Not that that *POOF* creates a story - it is just a begginning - a slight model for you to work with, as a sculpter works with clay. Or something.

Posts: 79 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Augustine
Member # 1265

Well, I found another insight, and I am thinking that it is more profound than my insight on characters -- namely, writing in order to evoke images and emotions in your readers.

I recently started reading Tad Williams Otherland series. On the first two pages he is describing a WWI battle field. Some of the images he uses are rather grim:

-- "muddy ground cratered and desolate as the moon"
-- "torn earth and skeletal trees"
-- "red fog, gray earth, sky the color of old bones"

I was struck by the power of the images. I re-read the passages again and again, trying to figure out what Williams was doing. And then it hit me. Desolation means there can be no skeletal trees. And I've never seen red fog, and I don't even know what old bones look like. Are they beige, gray, or black? Then I realized that he wasn't describing a photo as much as he was painting a picture, attempting to evoke in me a sense of horror and despair (which he does very well, I think). And then I realized what was so pitiful about my own descriptions. I want them to be accurate and factual instead of poetic and emotional. There is a hugh emotional difference between crooked trees and skeletal trees, and I would have talked about the crooked trees and my readers would have found me boring.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this with you all. And thanks for all of your responses. I don't know if I agree with them all, but you all have made me think about storytelling in a different way.

[This message has been edited by Augustine (edited October 06, 2001).]

Soule
Member # 1250

- posted      Profile for Soule   Email Soule         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for YOUR insight. I suppose that everyone has their own way, and if they didn't, then all books would be the same, and then where would we be?
Posts: 79 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, I agree about getting the science right, but I submit that many science fiction readers (and science fiction writers, for that matter) don't know enough science to =know= if the science is right a lot of the time. I also submit that many so-called science fiction writers are actually fantasy writers who use science as the magic.

I also agree, Augustine, about characters. I think many writing insights may come from looking at how we ourselves read, and I have noticed that if I don't care much about the characters, the story had better have other really cool stuff going for it or I won't keep reading. (Really cool science can be cool enough to make up for poor characters, but the longer the book the cooler the science has to be.)

An insight I'd like to offer--not to fully explain it, but to get you thinking about it--is that it can make a very big difference who the author selects as the point-of-view character (or characters). I've talked about this before, and I consider it "advanced point of view." I recommend going to some of the books you've enjoyed and looking at the characters you've liked. What would the story have been like if the author had told it from the point of view of a different character?

(My favorite example to consider is the body of work A. Conan Doyle wrote about Sherlock Holmes. If Doyle had put us in Holmes' head instead of using Watson to tell us the stories, would they have been as interesting?)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen:

I agree with you.

My point was, if a writer or publisher wants my money, he had better have his science right. I said nothing about anyone elses buying habits.

Similarly, the hard-science genre is what I enjoy writing; and why else would I write, when I could just play video games or whatnot, if not for enjoyment? (And perhaps, eventually, cash?)

I do enjoy well-characterized hard science the MOST (Niven, Heinlein, Bear, etc.), and endevor to write it.

I wasn't implying EVERY writer should do so. Like I said -- the free market will decide who is a good writer and who is not.

OSC's science, for example, irritates me, but his extraordinary skill as a fiction craftsman is more than sufficient to overcome that irritation, so I read him.

[This message has been edited by chad_parish (edited October 11, 2001).]

Augustine
Member # 1265

Kathleen, I have already thought about the viewpoint character before, and I'd say that the only time the viewpoint character really comes into play is when he or she is NOT the main character -- e.g., Watson is not the main character, Holmes is.

Of course, changing viewpoint adds whole new dimensions to a novel. I remember when I was reading Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. The main viewpoint character is young Simon. But throughout the epic, Williams would switch viewpoints and we'd get a chance to see Simon through another pair of eyes. So when Simon thought he was being silly or foolish, others thought he was being mature or wise. It added a completely different feel to the hero story.

I also wanted to comment on what you said about characters. If the character's are weak, then the situation (you said science, but I'm going to expand it to also include fantasy and horror) better be really strong. But the reverse is also true. If the situation is weak or cliche, then the characters better be really strong. That is so true in the field of epic fantasy, since ever epic fantasy had exactly the same plot. Again, we see in Ender's Game the cliche that the game is not really a game. But Ender is so powerful of a character, that we forget that OSC employed a cliche.

This also helps me understand the power of, say, Stephen King (perhaps my biggest influence). In his best stuff, he not only has strong situations, but also strong characters.

Thanks for such a powerful seed. I think it has produced good fruit.

[This message has been edited by Augustine (edited October 11, 2001).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, let me recommend a book that I found to be an interesting combination of hard science and good characterization: DARK MATTER by Garfield and Judy Reeves-Stevens. It's a serial killer murder mystery with an interesting investigator and a theoretical physicist as the serial killer.

Augustine, there's more to choosing who the point of view character should be than whether or not you've got the main character or not. With strong, believable characters, you can argue that each is the main character in his or her own story--whether that's the STORY the author is telling may be another question, of course.

Another example, from fantasy: consider how Tolkien selects his point of view characters. It isn't just a matter of main or not-main characters. In many cases, you could say the point of view character in a particular scene is the main character in that scene, but in other scenes you couldn't say that.

If there's only one main character, then why did Tolkien select the point of view character he did if he didn't choose the main character--he usually had several to choose from?

I submit that he selected the character in the scene who was closest to being an Everyman character. At one point, when we're with Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli, Aragorn is the only human, and the closest to Everyman for human readers, so he's the point of view character. At another point, when the scene is described by Gimli, it's because he is closest to the Everyman character. Legolas has a bit to say about that scene, but he doesn't say much.

When Aragorn takes the Orthanc palantir, he finds his resolve and knows what he must do, and he is no longer unsure of himself (or qualified to be an Everyman point of view), and Tolkien never puts us into his head again.

I submit that if you want to create a sense of awe about certain characters, whether they are elves or returning kings or Victorian detectives, you stay out of their heads and pick point of view characters as close to those of ordinary readers as you can.

It isn't a matter of main or not-main. It's a matter of effect, of creating an emotion of awe in the mind of the reader. It's a way to make sure your reader is impressed.

Bardos
Member # 1260

- posted      Profile for Bardos   Email Bardos         Edit/Delete Post 
Since the discussion is going that way (pov), I would like to ask you something: What's your opinion about Dune and the way Herbert shifts the pov in mid-scene?
Posts: 80 | Registered: Sep 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Bardos, are you talking about one scene in particular, or are you saying Herbert did this all through the book?

First off, I'd say that if you noticed it, and it bothered you, then it didn't work.

It's been a while since I've read DUNE, so I can't say whether I think such practice is sloppy writing or not. It could have been omniscient point of view, which is a valid, though not often used nowadays, way to do point of view. (Your best clue that the author is using omniscient point of view is that the reader is put into the heads of several characters--even all of the characters--in one scene. Of course, if there are only two characters in the scene, and you get bounced back and forth and made to feel that you're watching a tennis match, that's not good.)

chad_parish
Member # 1155

Herbert did the tennis-ball thing a few times. The alternative would have been NOT to know what the characters are thinking and feeling (the criticism by group gives my writing the most), so it was the lesser of two evils, in my opinion.
Bardos
Member # 1260

- posted      Profile for Bardos   Email Bardos         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I like Herbert's style ( ), but I just wanted to ask your opinion, 'cause I hear many people dislike the omniscient pov, which I, personaly, happen to like. It doesn't confuse me, if the author writes well. I think the most important thing in writing is to make your point clear, so that others understand you.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Sep 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Augustine
Member # 1265

Kathleen,

Thank you for the explanation. The concept of telling a scene from the "Everyman POV" gives me a lot to think about. I understood why Doyle choose Watson instead of Holmes -- namely, to create an aura around Holes. But it also explains the power of my favorite novel--To Kill a Mockingbird. Without going into a lot of analysis, Scout Finch is definitely the Everyman character in that story, and the story would simply loose its power if told from Atticus or Jem's POV.

However, shouldn't one consider more than the Everyman character when choosing a POV? For example, Book One of the Lord of the Rings is told predominately from Frodo's viewpoint. It seems to me that Tolkien chose Frodo's POV because he's the one with the One Ring -- not primarily because he's the Everyman character, nor because Tolkien wanted to create an aura around Gandalf.

Or what about OSC's Ender's Game? It seems to me that if any character had the potential NOT to be an Everyman character, Ender did. However, Card choose to focus on those things that we all feel -- loneliness, desire for friendship, longing for acceptance -- thereby making him the Everyman character. Couldn't have Card told the story from another POV and created an mystic around Ender?

I guess my point (or question) is that when considering POV, we have to consider whose story we want to tell. Is that a fair assumption, or should we be looking for the Everyman character and telling it from his or her POV?

[This message has been edited by Augustine (edited October 12, 2001).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Bardos, omniscient point of view, when well done, is a great way to tell a story--but the difficulty is in the well-done part. John Barnes wrote a fantasy novel with omniscient point of view, and I found it very well done.

Augustine, I apologize for being unclear. I was not arguing that we should all use an Everyman point of view in telling our stories.

I merely wanted to point out how that kind of point of view choice works and what it does to and for readers.

There are plenty of other choices, and ENDER'S GAME, as you point out, is a good example. You may have noticed that OSC has taken the opportunity to tell the same story from different points of view, and has made that same story interesting all over again in the process.

What I was attempting to do was to get people thinking about what happens when they select this character instead of that character for their point of view. It really does depend on what the story is that you want to tell.

PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

- posted      Profile for PaganQuaker   Email PaganQuaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I'll have to think about the One Revelation. Maybe I haven't had it yet.

But I have to protest the idea that the characters make the story. I think that for some people, the characters make the story, and that for most people, the characters are important to the story and you have to have something really special if they're just cardboard figures being pushed around with a stick. But ultimately I think it's the story as a whole that makes the story, which sounds dumb and redundant, but I'll try to elaborate:

Something is happening in the story: A person is changing, the world is being saved (or lost), a mystery is being solved, etc. There may be a bunch of things like this, things that stretch through the story and keep you reading. Any one of them, if really well conceived and delivered, can carry a story for some readers -- probably not all readers, but some. So a mystery story with a really wild setting and a compelling puzzle to be solved will carry some people through without the character being of any interest.

That said, I bore myself when I write stories that don't do a lot with the characters, so for me, I had better pay a lot of attention to them.

Luc

Posts: 380 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

- posted      Profile for PaganQuaker   Email PaganQuaker         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, I figured out what the biggest Aha recently has been, although it's misleading, because the really amazingly helpful experiences I've had have been getting a pile of insights all together, first when reading OSC's Character and Viewpoint, and later when attending Uncle Orson's Writing Class and Literary Boot camp.

Anyway, the insight was in watching the movie Speed. Whatever my reservations about it, I found it riveting: I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. After it was over, I asked myself, how are they doing this? And it turned out that it was little arcs within arcs.

First the big arc: They put out one situation that wouldn't be resolved until the end of the movie, the terrorist guy. Who is he? How can he be defeated? Whenever there wasn't something else to draw our attention, they always brought us back to that question and we said, "Oh yeah, I'm still worried about that!"

Then within that they drew smaller arcs of suspense. The major one within that grouping was the bus. Oh no, the bus will blow up if they slow down! How will they survive?

Then within *that* they had scene-by-scene arcs of suspense. Will Keanu Reeve's character get killed as he reels in under the bus? How will they survive that gap in the freeway? Etc.

I guess that's the whole insight: If you want to create suspense, start with a big thing that can be sustained through the whole story, but then within that make smaller suspenseful situations that bear the brunt of attention for a while, and maybe even make smaller situations within those. Don't rely on the single main item of suspense to carry you, and don't rely on one suspenseful item after another if each resolves before the other starts, because then you have dead space when one is wound down and the next is picking up.

Luc

Posts: 380 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
TreebeardFangorn
Member # 1281

- posted      Profile for TreebeardFangorn           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope y'all will forgive a brand-new poster's ideas in this technical thread.

The original poster (Augustine) strikes a chord with me when he mentions that
Characters draw me to a book, the plot-line is desert.

Possibly this is why "Goodbye, Mr Chips" is one of my favorite stories. James Herriot
proved that a fortune can be made selling to character lovers. This is why Mrs.
Pumphrey and Tricki-Woo could never die. The little Peekinese was pushing 30 in the
last book.

But what makes the character interesting? and why?

I love a character because he is either like my image of myself or someone I love or
wish that I could love.

Adults recognize Bean and Ender's genius like they should have recognized mine at a
similar age. (yes I am being a little facetious)

Sister Carlotta has my mother's compassion, unwavering faith and willingness to
cheerfully fight for their beliefs. The fact that my Pentecostal mother and the Catholic
Nun would unhesitatingly consign each other to Hell is beside the point.

The English public school teacher, Mr. Chips, may disprove my point. I have never
met a male elementary teacher that I liked.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.