Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Pen names

Author Topic: Pen names
Soule
Member # 1250

- posted      Profile for Soule   Email Soule         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that this has already been discussed elsewhere, but all I want is an opinion ( or several) on mine own pen name. How does Soule V. Wells sound? And none of that "If it was a good book, I'd read it regardless" junk - I know that many of you, writers yourselves, probably would, but the general public is not so forgiving, and I want an honest-to-gosh opinion. Pleasethankyou.
Posts: 79 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
writerPTL
Member # 895

- posted      Profile for writerPTL   Email writerPTL         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want my honest opinion...

It's a mouthful. Soule is unusual, V. is generally unusual, and Wells makes me think of H. G. Wells, and coupled with the Soule and the V, that all makes it seem like you are trying too hard.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Augustine
Member # 1265

- posted      Profile for Augustine           Edit/Delete Post 
In my humble opinion, if you like it Soule V. Wells, then use it.

I recently read a book by Donald Maass (an agent of 25 years and the author of 17 novels) called, Writing the Breakout Novel. His thesis is simple. There is one reason--and only one reason--why a book sells: it is a good story (and his book talks about the different aspects of a good story). Stories sell books, not names.

Whenever I thought about using a pen name (which I decided I'm not going to do) it was always because I thought my name wasn't good enough, that somehow if I had a better sounding name--say, a name such as Stephen King or Orson Scott Card--I'd have a better chance at being a full time writer. What nonsense!

But now I'm getting away from your question and close to the issues dealt with in another forum, so let me answer your question: do I like the name, Soule V. Wells?

Yes, I do. And I like it for the very same reasons why Writer PTL didn't like it. Soule is unusual, and therefore easy for me to remember. The initial "V" stands out, which is good. And "Wells" is somewhat ordinary -- at least because there has been another author with that last name. So I think you have a nice blend of the unusual with the ordinary. And though "Soule V. Wells" does sound like a pen name, it's not nearly as obvious as the name "Robin Hobb."

But let me emphasize again, I'm not going to read a novel because the author has a name that I like. And in my experience, there has only been ONE time where I picked up a book because of the author's name -- Robin Hobb, indecently. What happened? I remembered the name, and then I saw that both OSC and C. J. Cherryh thought Hobb was a good writer. So I bought volume one of her trilogy, but I haven't got around to reading it yet.

I hope this helps. Sorry it's so long.

[This message has been edited by Augustine (edited October 05, 2001).]

Posts: 39 | Registered: Sep 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Soule
Member # 1250

Thanks - it does help.

If you really want to know - which you probably don't - the Soule and the V both have sentimental value, and the Wells is my mother's maiden name.

I personally liked it, and I need a pen name because not only does my real name have 26 letters in it, I hate it, and am seriously considering changing it. It is dull, boring, and my father picked it out - I have a certain grudge against him.

Therefore, anything I wrote under my real name I could never feel was truly mine, because the name isn't truly mine.

Thank you both again for your thoughts - they are very helpful.

Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
Soule~

V? i get the Wells--we've talked about that before--but V?

i'm off topic. i like the V because, like it was said above, it's unique.

i can accept the Wells because you're not using it because it worked well before ( )--which is actually pretty stupid because in every library and bookstore you'd be smack dab in the middle of other great Wells. but if you can live with that, go for it.

i have a problem with the Soule. unlike other names, it rightfully evokes a certain expectation that is NOT fulfilled by your usual genres. your choice to use that name makes sense to me, but it wouldn't to ANYBODY else.

my suggestion is to use a different first name. i wouldn't use an initial; it would draw away from the V.

but that's just MHO.

TTFN & Lylas

Cosmi

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Soule
Member # 1250

The V - think reallyreally hard, and you ought to get the meaning behind it, Cos. I don't expect anyone else to, and I really picked it because of the aforementioned uniqueness, but you aught to get it if you think about it, and it's not the first thing that would come to your mind, nor is it the second.

Soule? You have a problem with Soule?

I think you think too much. Honestly, if you were an anonymous someone, what possible 'expectations' could you derive from a person's name? If this were true, I would be a lot more popular, and disapoint many more people, don't you think?

And I have no problem being overshadowed by Wells', and I'm not using their fame. I don't even know them yet!

JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
I made my opinion on the topic of pen names very clear before, but you said to clear of that area, Soule, so I will.
If you want me to be brutally honest, I'll say that I don't like Soule V Wells.
However, if I'm being supportive, I'll say that I like Soule. It's odd, unique, different. It stands out, and if you're looking for something that will stand out on a shelf, use Soule.
The V is also unique, and would be alright if it weren't for Wells. But because it sounds so much like G (say the too out loud), it is reminiscent of H G Wells. If you're gonna use V, don't use Wells, and vice verse. IMHO.
Hope I've helped.
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
My advice is to pick something else besides the name that means the most to you for your pen name.

Why? Because unless you can hit it off right away, you may find yourself being urged to try again with a different pen name, and the one you love so much will have to go by the wayside.

Save your personal favorite for yourself and use something else for commercialization.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.