Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Having trouble...

Author Topic: Having trouble...
Soule
Member # 1250

- posted      Profile for Soule   Email Soule         Edit/Delete Post 
Help!!

I recently wrote a short story. I like it, it's got good characters, good setting, and I think that it's one of the best things I've ever written. One problem -

There's no plot.

Does it have to have a plot?

Yes. Otherwise, it's not a story - just a bunch 'o' nice bedtime tales - and even they have plots. The problem is, I just can't think of one to fit it. A good plot would be intriging. A plot to fit this story would be a bedtime tale, or, worse, something from Exodus. Except for one thing - it's not a kid story, and Exodus didn't really have much of a plot either. Does it really have to have that good ole problem-resolution? Or can it just be a story - and I think it's pretty darned good w/o one.

Help!!

Posts: 79 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Augustine
Member # 1265

- posted      Profile for Augustine           Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps I'm not the best person to answer this qeustion, but I will try. I have heard that there are basically two categories of fiction -- commerical fiction and literary fiction. Commerical fiction, I think, needs a definite plot: here is the problem, where is the soloution.

Literary fiction, on the other hand, doesn't need to have a definite plot. For example, Ernest Hemmingway's short story, "Hills Like White Elephants," is just a conversation between two patrons at a local bar. Hemmingway doesn't have a plot -- rather, he is tyring (I think) to evoke in us the experience.

Now, I'm not too sure, but I think there can be "literary SF/F." Why not?

But then, what does what I think really matter? I'm not the one buying the story. So if you really like it, send it out an see what happens. And if it gets rejected, send it to another editor, and another one, until either the story is sold or you run out of editors.

And if it doesn't get sold, it doesn't mean that it sucks. It just means that this one piece doesn't fit the market right now.

[This message has been edited by Augustine (edited October 06, 2001).]

Posts: 39 | Registered: Sep 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bardos
Member # 1260

- posted      Profile for Bardos   Email Bardos         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends why you write for. You write to sell? or you write for yourself mainly, and if it sells, ok?

If you write for yourself, you can write pretty much whatever you like. But, IMHO, the characters create a plot by themselves, whatever you want it or not. What I mean is: Don't they have problems? If they do (and some problems they, surely, must have!), then the plot is about the characters' problems.

Now, if you write to sell, then you must have a plot that draws the audience (or the editor, more like it ). If it doesn't do that....

[This message has been edited by Bardos (edited October 06, 2001).]

Posts: 80 | Registered: Sep 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
Soule~

the issue, i think, is in how you define plot. for example, a plot can involve conflict, but conflict isn't neccessarily a plot.

i think in short works, a "plot" per-say (sp?) isn't needed. as long as it involves the reader (you know, stimulates them either through the senses, through an event, or through thought) it's fine. it should include a sort of conflict either for the reader or between the characters. if it doesn't, then what's the point of reading it?

TTFN & Lylas

Cosmi

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Soule
Member # 1250

I do not write to "sell" - not yet, anyway - I write for the pure entertainment of the select few of my friends who are brave enough to wrench it from my hands and sit on me to keep me from ripping it out of theirs. I write for the brave souls who daily risk their lives to see what I have written next. Don't get me wrong - I like it when they read my stuff - I just have an impecible talent from getting sat on at lunchtime (dinnertime, snacktime...you get the idea).

Also, though I may consider it highly untertaining, there are no true problems. There are problems, they just come at the end of the story, a sort of what happens next kind of thing. However, I've noticed that a lot of short stories don't have here's the problem where's the solution plots - they are merely great and highly entertaining stories.

So, upon serious reflection, I have decided that I really don't care if there is a bigger plot to it. However, I have also come to the conclusion that only 50% of my audience will like it. Hopefully. Therefore, I will make all write-to-live stories plotful. Sound good?

tylipher
Member # 1268

- posted      Profile for tylipher   Email tylipher         Edit/Delete Post 
"Exodus didn't really have much of a plot either."

Obviously Exodus wasn't written as a work of fiction and as such probably doesn't have what we would consider to be a "plot". However, it works as a piece of literature because it has a point. Namely to identify for the Children of Israel their origins as a nation, why they should worship God (see Ex 20:1,2,11) and the history behind their religion. Some scholars even assert that Exodus (among other Biblical books) were written as propoganda to explain why Israel found themselves in bondage to the Babylonians. There are more points to the book of Exodus but these should be sufficient to get the idea across.

Now, what is my point? Funny you should ask. In order for a piece of literature to work, whether it be fiction or non-fiction it must be meaningful and relevant to the reader. If what you have written is meaningful to you chances are it is meaningful to others as well.

Secondly that which appears to have no plot on the surface may in fact have one at a deeper level. Certainly in the case of Exodus the enitre conflict between Pharoah and Moses contains elements of good story telling. There is tension which must be resolves, a strong protagonist and a strong antagonist and supprisingly a plot. Will the Israelites be freed? Will pharoah find some way to overcome Moses and his God? And while it may not be captivating reading in the modern sense, it certainly was for the ancient Hebrew.

Now, where were we. Ah yes, my point. A story must have some kind of hook that draws the reader in. Whether that be a strong plot, powerful characters, fascinating technological ideas or moral connundrums. Your piece may be a little weak on the plot side as you say but that doesn't mean it is an ineffective piece of literature. At least that's my take on things.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

A story must have some kind of hook that draws the reader in. Whether that be a strong plot, powerful characters, fascinating technological ideas or moral connundrums.

Hey, good point! I'd never thought of it that way.

Hopefully the story will be marketed properly. I subscribe to the magazines Analog and Absolute Magnatude, so I know I'll get science or action, respectivley. Just make sure you send your plotless thing to the proper market.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Soule
Member # 1250

tylipher-
You make it sound snotty. I didn't mean it as a demeaning phrase. I've read Ex. It was very enlightening. Actually, it was quite enjoyable.

What is a connundrum?

Chad-
It is not a "plotless thing", thank you very much, it is my baby.

It actually HAS a plot, it is just not one of those major-gigundous-problem, let's-go-find-the-answer spiels. It has a plot, and is quite entertaining. It just isn't a suspensful thriller. It's a really great story. If you want, I can e-mail it to you, to show you what I mean.

chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
My mistake -- sorry.

As a general rule, don't take it personally when engineers say stupid things. We don't know any better. My interpersonal skills are more adapted to electron microscopes than people. (Speaking of, I'm late for my session on the 200CX...)

Sorry.

PS: conundrum ~ dilemma

[This message has been edited by chad_parish (edited October 10, 2001).]

SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Soule, I think you have to be careful about not having a plot... In my EXTREMELY limited experience, I had a short story that was rejected by a magazine editor who said that although it was written well, there was no conflict (until the very end... but even that was more like reaction to a conflict). She said something to the effect that a story without a plot is no story... it may be an impeccably grouped set of words, and may in fact be very evocative of a time or place, but it's not a story. BUT like I said, that's just my limited experience.

With that said, I recently listened to the unabridged audiobook of "The Death of Vishnu." I absolutely loved it and marveled at the book, in part because it's one of those 'literary fiction' books that I've never read before outside a class. It had the most evocative, lyrical, and engrossing narrative I've ever read... and it was unique. The way the author strung this word to that was so different and unique, that it was like discovering a book for the very first time. HOWEVER, there wasn't much of a plot. There was conflict, but minor trivial conflict, and there were definitely storylines to the story... but it didn't have a plot like most people think of it, or like what you usually find in novels. But even without it, it stands on my top 5 list of books.

Hope that helped some.

[This message has been edited by SiliGurl (edited October 10, 2001).]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
tylipher
Member # 1268

- posted      Profile for tylipher   Email tylipher         Edit/Delete Post 
Re: Soule

I figured you weren't being snotty. I'm sorry if my post came across like a false start in the fourth quarter with two minutes to go. In otherwords I wasn't trying to criticize you.

Also a great way to improve your vocabulary is that "word of the day" toilet paper. I personally don't have it so I have to rely on the old fashioned dictionary.

Conundrum - "Anything that arouses curiosity or perplexes because it is unexplained, inexplicable or secret."

--Ty

BTW. I'm not trying to be snotty either. There is a fine line between my weak attempts at levity and snottiness. If I cross it feel free to cane me.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ty...

No caning please!

There's enough violence in RL, let's keep the boards clean!

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Cosmi, it's "per se" in case you wanted to know.

Soule, if an editor tells you he or she wants stories with plots in them, remember to send that editor only stories with plots in them.

If you agree with Damon Knight, however, a story doesn't need a gigundus plot to qualify as a story.

I strongly recommend that anyone wanting to write short fiction find a copy of Knight's book CREATING SHORT FICTION and read it (more than once). He discusses plot and other important stuff.

I'd also recommend that short story writers get WRITING IN GENERAL AND THE SHORT STORY IN PARTICULAR by Rust Hills. Short, tight, and inexpensive, this book is also extremely useful. (My take on what Hills says about plot is that short stories follow OSC's "C" structure--from his M I C E analysis of stories--in that they are basically about characters and role changes. Novels would work differently, but Hills is talking about short stories.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

I like the book by Knight. The section about "starting the story" (or something to that effect) I found particularly useful, especially how to create characters, the writing skill that gives me the most trouble.

Knight is great when used in conjunction with Card's Characters and Viewpoint (to put meat on the skeleton Knight gives us) and my personal favorite, Bova's Writing Science Fiction That Sells (to make a character into a SPECULATIVE story).

Kathleen:

quote:

My take on what Hills says about plot is that short stories follow OSC's "C" structure--from his M I C E analysis of stories--in that they are basically about characters and role changes.

Was he discussing fiction in general, or specifically SF/F? I think many SF/F stories fall more into the "I" or "M" categories.

I sit here thinking of my favorite short storeis. Many -- 50%? -- fall into the character camp (there's a revelation, actually) although all are also idea-intensive. Many are "C", but they don't have to be... do they?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, Hills was talking about general fiction, but science fiction is a subset of general fiction (or, as some argue, general fiction is a subset of science fiction, since science fiction deals with all possibilities, and fantasy deals with all impossibilities).

Science fiction got started with ideas--what if--and that is pretty basic to it, but if solving the puzzle is the only thing a story has going for it, it often ends up being a punchline story, or a "I fooled you" story where the writer plays a joke on the reader, or a short story that really ought to be the first chapter of a novel (as in, now we know what's really going on here, what are we going to do about it?).

Not only should science fiction be about the idea, but about how that idea affects the characters, how it changes/upsets their lives, how they try to find stability, how they try to find answers they can live with, how they try to fix what's wrong, how they use the idea to make life better, and so on and so forth.

I submit that the strongest science fiction involves characters having or using or understanding new ideas and being affected or affecting their surroundings with those ideas.

It's more or less a teamwork kind of thing, I think.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't a story that is low on plot content (like the Hemmingway story cited by Augustine above) generally called a "slice of life" story?

That type of story just shows a snapshot of a some characters in a situation. It is possible for the situation and the characters to remain completely unchanged at the end of the story. Many episodes of some television shows would qualify. M*A*S*H did several very good "slice of life" episodes.

In my view this type of story can be very powerful. Instead of conflict in a traditional plot, the reader unconsciously feels the contrast between her/his life and that depicted in the story.

At the same time, "slice of life" stories are notoriously unmarketable. Or so I am told.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.