Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » question regarding manuscripts

Author Topic: question regarding manuscripts
LadyPeace
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for LadyPeace           Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive my foolishness in not having known this before (and my melodrama of that phrasing) but are the sci-fi magazines (Analog and the like) requiring that you send them the summary first now, or the whole manuscript?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Augustine
Member # 1265

- posted      Profile for Augustine           Edit/Delete Post 
Technically speaking, each magazine is different, so you should find out a magazine's requirements before sending your manuscript to them.

However, as far as I can tell, most SF/F magazines want you to send the entire manuscript. I'm not sure if a cover letter is required (I always include a very, very brief one).

Below are links to the web sites of the three top SF/F mags. All of them have a link to their submission guidelines.

Analog -- www.analogsf.com/
Asimov's -- www.asimovs.com/
F&SF -- www.sfsite.com/fsf/

[This message has been edited by Augustine (edited October 28, 2001).]

Posts: 39 | Registered: Sep 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

- posted      Profile for PaganQuaker   Email PaganQuaker         Edit/Delete Post 
In terms of magazines that pay pro rates, are highly-regarded, and whose stories receive consideration for the major awards, I would also add

- Realms of Fantasy (no Web site), and
- British SF magazine Interzone (http://www.sfsite.com/interzone) <-- sorry, there had been a typo in this. All fixed now.

Omni also publishes some SF, and pays handsomely, but is a very, very difficult market to crack (I am told). It's at http://www.omnimag.com.

However, there are also innumerable semi-pro and fan publications, including Web publications, which generally don't pay as much and are unlikely to be looked at for handing out Hugos, Nebulas, and World Fantasy Awards. However, they tend to be significantly easier to get published in, and they serve a much wider array of interests within the genres.

Luc

[This message has been edited by PaganQuaker (edited October 28, 2001).]

Posts: 380 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bone
Member # 1280

- posted      Profile for Bone   Email Bone         Edit/Delete Post 
The URL to the British site does not seem to work could you edit it or post it over again?
Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
WillC
Member # 185

- posted      Profile for WillC   Email WillC         Edit/Delete Post 
And then, if you would care to browse a site that lists pretty much every market --

http://www.Ralan.com/

will do it for you.

Will.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
So far as I know, OMNI magazine no longer buys fiction. Ellen Datlow used to be the fiction editor there, but she has moved on to another publication.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I heartily second the recommendation for www.ralan.com as a great place to get good, up-to-date market information.

Markets are listed by payment category and story length (more or less), and each market listing has a link to that market's guidelines.

Very informative and useful.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

- posted      Profile for PaganQuaker   Email PaganQuaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Omni was continuing to publish fiction on its Web site for a while, but their Web site is now abandoned -- still there, but never updated.

Sorry, didn't know about that before.

Luc

[This message has been edited by PaganQuaker (edited October 29, 2001).]

Posts: 380 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.