Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Plot is pointless

Author Topic: Plot is pointless
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this is a theory of mine that I came up with, but I'm sure I'm not the first person to do so.

I have no interest in writing stories based around an epic plot and the characters are nothing more than a specal effect.

I was wondering if anyone felt this way. When I sit down to write a story I may have an idea but I never turn this idea into a fleshed out plot and then make up some people to shove into it. I usually come up with some characters that I find interesting and then have them write my story for me.

Think about it in the world of movies. Especially when it comes to writer/directors like Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarintino. Can anyone tell me what Pulp Fiction or Chasing Amy was about? Probably, not, but I bet you have a few lines of dialouge memorized, a scence that automatically comes to mind, or
know the first and last names of your favorite characters.

I don't know; I've shared this theory with a lot of writers and violently disagreed. What do ya'all think?

JOHN!!!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
epiquette
Member # 1272

- posted      Profile for epiquette   Email epiquette         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure there are many people out there that are exactly the same way.

As for me, I'm probably the exact opposite. I read mostly for pure escapism, and I much prefer concept to people, at least normal, everyday blah kind of people. They are the ones I am escaping from! I like ideas and concepts and noble events that stimulate my imagination and intellect. I would much rather have an intriguing concept than meet some character with an entertaining wit or with tormented psyche. I like LotR because of the plot, and the vision, and the noble deeds; I find the extremes of moral character refreshing (although I know other people find that unrealistic.) I like stories like Dragon's Egg, or Diaspora (Greg Egan?), or Tau Zero (Poul Anderson). I admit there are some character stories I like. I like the Wheel of Time, but if Jordan doesn't start getting back to the PLOT I'm going to abandon him.

OSC states (IIRC) that people read to understand other people even better than they ever could in real life. I'm not sure that fits with me. I read to find 'cool' ideas. I've read probably 25 feet of SF/F and still have yet to run out of neat things to come across or new ideas to discover. I guess if I get to 50 feet, I might then have found them all, and then will become jaded. Who knows?

Erk

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotta have both... Great characters that I care about and want to spend the next few weeks with, and a great plot. If the character is fantastic but the plot isn't, I put the book down, never to pick up again. Vice versa. I think that the really great fiction (and movies too!) have both, and leave scenery (the scifi/fantasy element) where it belongs (in the background).

Just my 2 cents worth!

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
Characters are fairly central in my opinion. If I start to read a book, and the characters are poor, there's going to have be a miracle to keep me reading it.
However, plot is equally important. You may have a fascinating character. He or she may be deep, three-dimensional in the extreme. But that's all for nothing if nothing interesting happens to them. Plot is the story you're telling. If there's no plot, you're just painting pretty pictures of people. If there's no plot, you need an equally large miracle to keep me interested. Films can do this with a lot of action. Short stories and novels don't do this as well as films.
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have powerful, compelling characters, they will make a plot of their own.

If you use a contrived, senseless plot it will destroy your characters.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 1198

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I much prefer stories with a well developed plot, and characters I enjoy. To quote some movies for you, Usual Suspects, The Game, LA Confidential, Shakespeare in Love.

Characters to me can be either vehicles for myself - like Frodo, or Ender, or Michael Douglass in the Game - or be characters I'd want to meet. The first type is where you insert yourself into the role, and want to be part of the action. What does Ender look like? He's short, end story. OSC never gave him physical description other than that. Hair color, eye color, distinguishing marks like scars or freckles, etc. And it made it easy for me to picture myself as Ender. (and makes me fear the movie ever being made)

Other times I want characters who I'd want to meet, or hang out with. Bean, for instance, in Ender's Game - he was fun, and I liked him. Dink, Alai. Aragorn, Gandalf. Hockney from Usual Suspects. They're fun, they're alive.

But I need the story, the cohesive plot. S'why movies like ID4 turn my stomach, because they're so contrived. And why movies like Planet of the Apes bug me because they make no sense or have no real development.

Plot is very important to me, the events of a story and how they play out for the characters. But you can't have a truly good plot or story without characters you care about. The gimmicks and "cool ideas" and the rest are all just seeds you build your story and characters around, to me.

Posts: 231 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheNinthMuse
Member # 1306

- posted      Profile for TheNinthMuse           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Isaac Asimov on this one: "I'll skimp on character or anything else if I need to. Never idea."

The reason that I read primarily sci-fi and fantasy is because they are almsot all based on cool ideas that differ from the world we live in. I love speculative fiction because it is just that: "What if we lived forever? What if we could put on and cast of bodies like so much clothing? What makes us human, the mind, or the genetics? Is death a curse or a blessing?" (All questions raised in the series I'm working on.)

Characters are a vehicle for a worldview, or at least they are in my stories. Sure, I try and make them real and believable like every other writer I've ever met, but I've never written a story about a character, only about an idea.

Just my two cent's worth.

~The Muse

"Death comes to those who wait for it."

Posts: 25 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 1198

I agree that idea is very important, but to me it's just the first step. I'm more with Robert Heinlein, taken from an essay:

"In the speculative science fiction story, accepted science and established facts are extrapolated to produce a new situation, a new framework for human action. As a result of this new situation, new human problems are created - and our story is about how human beings cope with those new problems.

The story is not about the new situation; it is about coping with problems arising out of the new situation."

Emphasis was his, not mine.

The idea is important, yes, but having your characters deal with it in a realistic, human way that a reader can relate to... well, to me that's of equal or more importance. It's not enough to have the possibility of faster than light travel, and explain your new and fascinating take on it - that change to our reality has to have an immediate effect on the characters and plot for me not to see it as extraneous information.

This isn't to say I don't think purely idea stories work - in fact I often find great enjoyment from them. But the ones I enjoy generally come in under 10 pages - any longer than that and I start looking for some more depth.

TheNinthMuse
Member # 1306

I also read this essay, and I agree with it completely. All I am saying is that idea, not character is at the heart of a good story. Character is, as I said, a vehicle for this, but the vehicle must be truthful and believable, or the idea is lost anyways. Everything has to be good and work together for the greater good, but the idea is at the core.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have any arguments in favor of Milieu or Event as being the true heart of story, now? (They're the other two parts of OSC's MICE story categorization.)

This disagreement could go on and on, you know.

Different readers read stories for different reasons, some want to read about ideas, some want to read about characters, some want to read about the setting (Milieu), and some want earth-shattering thrills and adventure (Event, perhaps?). And some want combinations of those things.

Writers start from different things when they write their stories, and they don't always start from the same thing. This is why OSC has talked about these different kinds of stories and the different ways to approach them and develop them.

I remember when idea was the center of the stories I wanted to read, too. It isn't so central to me any more as a reader. I find now that I need to care about the characters in order to care about a story. Later, I may care about other aspects of a story, and then, again, I may not.

Perhaps different things appeal to different readers at different times in their lives, and perhaps some readers prefer the same things throughout their lives.

Every reader is different because we're all individuals. Same for every writer. That's why we have to write what is important to us as writers who like to read. It's also why not everyone will love what we've written.

You do what you can as best as you are able.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 1198

I can see that that's true for a good deal of SF, and I agree that idea is integral to the genre - well, the "hard" side of it definitely. The "soft" side of science fiction has a lot more leeway.

Stranger in a Strange Land - the idea was there merely to set up an objective character, and see how that character would interact with the world.

Ender's Game - the idea itself is actually pretty cliched. "And the game turned out to be real" is one of those no-no's... but because of the importance of character, it's a fantastic book.

There are lots of others, but mostly they fall into the softer side of SF. Speculative fiction focuses more on the impact the idea has on the characters and the plot - rather than the novelty of the idea itself. And Fantasy, for the most part, relies far less on idea to carry it. World creation, strength of character, powerful events, and epic plot are often more important.

I think it's important to find a balance. OSC talked about the MICE quotient in Character and Viewpoint - four important things that are addressed in every story, but with different emphasis: Milieu, Idea, Character, and Event.

Thinking of one to the exclusion of others, or to the detriment of others, only wounds story potential. Focusing so much on character that you skimp on idea yields a weaker story than one where a bit of time was also spent generating some sort of novel concept. Similarly, focus on idea at the cost of strong characters or events handicaps a story in other ways.

Personally, stories that focus exclusively on idea need to be short, or they become tiresome. This is not so for other focii - like character, event, or milieu. Lord of the Rings is focused almost exclusively on the milieu and events - with flat, static characters, and ideas lifted directly from mythology. But I read that through all 900 or so pages without complaint. It was a world I wanted to know more about.

If a story focusing around a novel way of looking at time travel lasted that long, without characters I could relate to, or intense events, or some fascinatingly alien environment... well, I'd put it down after I realized my other needs wouldn't be fulfilled.

Granted, focus on those other areas can seem "boring" to some. Anne Tyler's Back When We Were Grownups was a great book based solely on character development. There was very little action, no real original ideas, and a standard milieu - but the cast of characters and their interplay was rich, intricate and compelling. (Though it wasn't SF, I confess).

But I liked it, and it put my parents to sleep. (Then again, Jane Austen puts me to sleep, and I have friends who just can't get enough of her)

In short, Idea to me is like candy. Your body burns it really quickly, it doesn't give a lot of nourishment, and you can't really sustain yourself on it indefinitely. But damn it tastes good, and it's fantastic for giving you a quick boost.

If you want to run a marathon, though, you need your carbo's and a heavy meal of character/event/milieu pasta to keep you going.

But a diet of all pasta is just as dull as a diet of all chocolate. No matter how much you may like either.

TheNinthMuse
Member # 1306

It's almost exactly the opposite for me. The idea is the meat of the story, the thing that my brain turns over and digests as I read the story. Without that, the story becomes 'just another one of those'. The events demonstrate the consequences of the idea, and the characters make us care about the events. All this must take place in a realistic, effective milieu or we will be thrown out of the novel and back into the harsh reality that is life. The candy is a character that I care about deeply, or an environment that is so rich and deep that I almost believed that I lived there instead of here.

On the Ender note, I completely (but respectfully) disagree with your statement about the idea being 'it was all a game'. That was the ending, the event part of the story. The character of Ender, though it could have been a novel in it's own right, was NOT the central focus of the novel--Ender did not decide to change his life or make a huge decision (at least, not as the point of the story). It started when Ender became involved with the chaos--the Buggers--and ended when he destroyed it. But it was grounded on the idea that the commander shapes his troops, and that the victor will be the one who is the better leader. Even if he is a child.

[This message has been edited by TheNinthMuse (edited February 05, 2002).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.