Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Page length and chapter length...

Author Topic: Page length and chapter length...
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay... Way back when there was a thread regarding this, but now it's gone, and I'm desperate to refresh my memory!!

Approximately how many words are in a standard paperback page? Not manuscript format, but your regular paperback.

Also, what-- in your opinion-- is a good chapter length (word or page count)? My chapters end where the scene ends, but that's usually around the 6,500 mark. I'm trying to get a feel for whether that's too hefty a chapter for the reader who, like me, is waiting to go to bed as soon as they finish the current chapter!

Thanks for the insight...

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I responded to this one before. I won't go into the same formula I used before, which I got from a Writers Digest Magazine---It would start a firestorm of debate again.

Think in terms of how much you feel comfortable reading in one sitting---you don't want the reader to feel as though the chapters go on and on and on---and most people I know want to stop at a chapter ending.

OK, so I will state the formula again---for a first book the word count should be (recommended) between 70,000-- 90,000 words. Closer to the 70,000 mark is better. Think in terms of about 2,500 words per chapter and 3 to 4 scenes per chapter. Does that move fast? You bet it does. The article is by William Hutchenson and can be found in the February 2001 issue of Writers Digest Magazine---<I>10 steps to planning your second draft.</I>

I kept this in mind when I wrote my last book---it took four months to write and about six months of re-writes. The writing came out tight, the story moves quickly, and I was surprised at how it turned out. And in the end I came out at 90,000 words after about 10 drafts.

I start sending out query packages on Monday thanks to my wonderful group 6.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
This may not make much sense, but I'll say it anyway: I finish a chapter whenever it FEELS finished. I don't stop in the middle of a scene, and I don't string together dozens of scenes per chapter. Sometimes, though, when I reread, the chapter seems to short, so I'll go deeper into detail about a character, or a setting, or a number of other things. I don't want to say I'm stretching out the chapter, because that would be because I'm trying to write a longer story for more money (and I'm not), so I'll just say I'm filling in blanks. Still, even when I'm revising, when a chapter or scene feels finished, I finish it.

Chris

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

Ah, but consider this----what happens if you finish the very last scene in that chapter? The reader sets the book aside and turns off the light and goes to bed.

If you leave the character hanging from the cliff about to fall----the reader truns the page to the new chapter. Thus the can't put down novel.

Just a thought.
Shawn

SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, if I've got to shoot for only a 2,500-3,000 word count per chapter... I'm way over!! I always end the chapter where it feels right; for me that is either when the scene ends, when there's a sudden change in the scene, or the scene is flowing along and all of a sudden pow! there's a revelation that makes you want to read more (and the reading more begins the new chapter). But, like I said, my shortest chapter is about 4,000 and I'm averaging 5,000-6,500 words. This is my first draft though, so no telling what will happen in the editing process once the novel is finished.

Any insight on how many (average) words per paperback page? Per hardcover page? In the back of my mind, I want to say 300 words on the paperback, but....

Thanks again,

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
Chapter length: whenever I want to end it.
Novel length: whenever I want to end it.
It's easy to see in black and white when you can't see colour *grin*
Seriously, I've never really held with word lengths and the like. All I think really matters is that chapter lengths are relatively consistent - i.e. chapter one isn't 2,500 words followed by a 4,000 words chapter. Novel lengths I hate. The novel should be as long as the writer wants it to be, whether it's the nice and standard 70,000 (though I've heard 80,000) or the huge 150,000. Personally, I've always been a fan of the big ones anyway; there's more room for development and depth.
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
epiquette
Member # 1272

- posted      Profile for epiquette   Email epiquette         Edit/Delete Post 
Just as an example...

OSCs chapter lengths are all over the place, even within one novel. Some are over fifty pages (like in Xenocide, I think), some are literally a page and a half (Seventh Son).

Personally I wouldn't worry about rules too much. If it works, it works; that's all there is to it.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
epiquette
Member # 1272

- posted      Profile for epiquette   Email epiquette         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I forgot to add that in long chapters, I think it can be good to break up the chapter with white-space breaks. Readers can stop at one of these almost as easily as a chapter ending.

I personally an finding my chapters coming out ~6000 words, but they usually have multiple white spaces (and often end in mild cliffhangers, as srhowen mentioned above). The cliffhangers drive my wife crazy.

Erk

BTW
Survivor: Did you get my email?

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
RoJoHen
Member # 1030

- posted      Profile for RoJoHen   Email RoJoHen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe...someone remembered one of my topics. I find that funny
Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Heimdall
Member # 1323

- posted      Profile for Heimdall   Email Heimdall         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends upon what you are writing.

A quickie paperback will have short chapters, an action packed book will have short chapters and a book about plants will have chapters long enough to discuss the specific family or seasons.

An Epic will have longer chapters.

I am a firm believer in writing with the flow and keeping the flow going, stopping it at a logical point and not being formulaic about the whole thing. If it feels right then it comes from the heart and most people read from the heart. Strange analogy but I think it's true. If I want to learn something then I will pick up a book of hard facts, but if I want to escape then i pick up a novel.

I can spot a formula book a mile off! Go with your heart. Write the whole thing and then go back and work at it with a fine tooth comb. If your chapters are 11,000 words approx (most of mine are) then just let it be. If they are less and it feels right then leave it at that. Stir the readers heart with fiction, spur his mind with facts. Use the same organ to write with.

(just my own feelings)

Posts: 30 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

A formula book is written based on a formula that dictates plot ect---many romances are---most TSR books are formula books.

I speak of the advice given in a specific article about first books---break out novels. Yes, by all means write from the heart. But I ask this----

What if I like pink paper and half inch margins and onion skin paper---hmm agents will reject me because I don’t know the rules or because I think I am above them or just plane would be hard to work with.

Just as with any job, when you try to sell your book, you are selling yourself as well. If an editor has two books in hand and one follows the standard for first books, and first bestsellers—and the other doesn’t---but both are good, chances are that the book that follows industry standards—(according to this article) will be chosen. I speak here of first books, break out books, the break in ones. Not of the latest Jorden--- Go back and look at their first books-----I think you will find shorter works with fast paced chapters.

I have five other complete books other than the one I used this formula on----the one before this one is as good and well written as the current one-----but I have had three requests for this current one----short chapters less than 3,000 words, and the book in at about 90,000 words. The one before---got rejections with personal notes---this is too long for a first book or longer than what we want---190,000 words with 6,000 to 10,000 word chapters. So, I conclude that the “formula” works. But that doea not make it a formula book.

IMHO
Shawn

Saffron Buggles
Member # 1357

- posted      Profile for Saffron Buggles   Email Saffron Buggles         Edit/Delete Post 
Shawn, brings up an excellent issue here and that is...

Most of us are just starting out in the industry. Otherwise many of us would be busy, earning that living. I'd just like to point out that whole "starter" issue.

Let's take a look at J.K. Rowling, for instance. She dreamt up her story on a train, and when it came time to publish, she was an instant success, no prior publishings, true rags to riches - type story.

I read Philosopher's Stone, and while I know many people believe it to be a children's novel, it's quite a brilliant first novel.

It's a little over 75,000 words, and though the chapter lengths are around 4,000 words, I devoured it in 4 days. (Not a particularly fast reader, but that was kinda a record)... I digress...

The point that I'm trying to make is that as a first, it sold like wildfire. If any of you have been following the series... (I can't seem to stop)... then you will notice a marked difference in the lengths, as you progress through, steadily increasing till we have the latest instalment Goblet of Fire which is nigh on 200,000 words. Clearly by then Rowling had established herself as a sellable writer and is now beginning to dictate her own terms.

Piers Anthony is another writer of such calibre... I don't think that I've ever seen such a prolific writer, who, even though it took him many years, discovered the FORMULA that allowed him to be published in the first place.

It's all very well to flout the "rules" that are accepted in the industry, but it's not going to put that bread on the table.

I myself would prefer a 3 course dinner.

May the light of creation shine forever in the hearts of those willing to share it.

Dave

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Heimdall
Member # 1323

Formula? Hmm, that needs thinking about.

Can anyone think of any first books that were epic? I mean 6000 to 10000 words per chapter?

What about trilogies? If a first writer wrote three books that followed on from each other as with the Lord of the Rings and each one had about 20 chapters with 6000 to 10000 words each chapter, would they be likely to get the first one published? and have the others published seperately?

cvgurau
Member # 1345

Okay, I may be revealing my inadequacy as a writer (I can't believe I actually used that word in a real sentence! *grin*) but I couldn't help but wonder, and if I don't ask I'll go nuts, what are the formulas that so many of you are mentioning? I don't know of any, so I was hoping some of you would fill me in.

Helplessly but not hopelessly clueless,
Chris

cvgurau
Member # 1345

BTW, srhowen, if a scene is ended, and the reader puts down the book and goes to bed, then I'm hoping that it would be a good enough book for the reader to pick up again the next day. Besides, sometimes it feels right to end a chapter in the middle of the scene, so you're left hanging until you turn the page. I hate not knowing what happens next in a book, and I write what I'd like to read. What else makes sense?

Chris

srhowen
Member # 462

Ahhh---so the book is good---but when you send it to an agent or editor you want them to feel compelled to read on rather than shut off the light.

The formal definition of a formula story is----A term that refers to a genre of fiction that uses a familiar theme treated in a predictable way. Such as the romance formula—boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl.

Some publishers supply a “bible” of sorts that tell the writer what they can and can’t do with plot and characters and then tell what formula they want the writer to use.

I refer to a certain way of writing a book that has nothing to do with plot or characters---a formula in where you base your book on what sells the best in terms of word count, scenes per chapter, words per chapter, and the cliff hanger middle of scene chapter ends.

Does that clear the water a bit?

Shawn

Heimdall
Member # 1323

So which are the formual publishers?
What chapter length are we talking about as having the best chance of being published?
Book length? etc.

Does anyone know of any writers in fantasy whose first book was very large? Which publisher did they use?

What are the chances of a first book of 180,000 words in length and part of a two or three part series that end on the last book being published?

JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I think we all need to remember is that the lengths that many have mentioned appear to be of first drafts, not completed mss. Stephen King and others would suggest, and the advice seems sound, that you'll CUT 10% or more (honestly, can't remember the amount King uses in On Writing). You may say that in a 6,000 word chapter, that's only 600 words, on average, but my real point is that you'll likely (ideally) be cutting and paring down and editing huge sections upon your second, maybe third rewrite. So, don't get hung up on chapter/novel length at these early stages of the game, just keep writing until, as many have said, it seems right to stop. Once you've put it away for a month or so, and come back to it, you'll know if it was really the right place or not.

And one thing about the 'first novel'. I would have to think that unless the writing is top notch, nearly superior, a publisher isn't going to take a very large, first part of a trilogy, novel unless it truly stands on its own. I can't imagine them committing to all three at once, that's for sure. I've had this conversation with SiliGurl before, off board, and my suggestion is to possibly try and get a) either pieces of the novel that may stand alone as a short (perhaps with some tweaking of course) published in a mag, or b) write some shorts that somehow fit into the novel (set in a common locale, using some of the same characters, whatever) published. I would imagine a publisher would be much more willing to take a change on an epic first novel if you have some credits behind it to back it up. (Yes, any credits help, of course, but I think credits specific to the novel may be more beneficial??)

JP

[This message has been edited by JP Carney (edited January 31, 2002).]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

Long first epic novels--the only one I can think of is something called The Light Bearer--spelling may be wrong and I can't of the author at the moment. It didn't sell well. I found it largely boring and I wondered how that author got it published in the first place.

The problem that publishers see with an epic length series is that what if you can’t follow through with the other novels—now you may be certain that you can, you may have even started on that second and third book----but they have no real idea if the first book will sell. I can think of several writers that got the big contract for more books and then couldn’t do it. Jean M. Aural<sp> comes to mind with the Clan of the Cave Bear series—the first book was very good—the rest went down hill from there.

We can say but my writing is so good, and good writing will sell. But to the publishers the marketing dept. with their bottom line of $$$$ is going to rate very high.

I have three novels all of them over 150,000 words---all of them set in the same world. The first is 350,000 words long. The second 200,000. The third 300,000. I got some nibbles on the first---the advice I got—cut this in three or four parts and resend as a stand alone book. I have not been able to do it because I can’t figure out where to stop so it makes sense to stop.

Even using Kings theory second draft=first draft minus 10% will not make those short enough. But I believe King also said that if you are a short writer that second draft can = plus 10%.

That’s why I went with the “formula” to write this last one and the first draft ended up at 73,000 words. The last and final draft ended at 90,000. I am now working at figuring out where to divide the others.

Formula publishers---contact TSR (Wizards of the Coast) (www.wizards.com) for fantasy. They have you write a sample then if you pass that they send you a “bible” of their worlds and characters and assign you a story. I turned it down. They want less than 75,000 words and only pay a one time write fee to you and you get no royalties. Some romance companies work this way as well. That was how they worked a few years ago—I have not checked recently but they tell you in the Writers Market to request guidelines before sending material. They may have the guide lines on their web site.

Shawn

JK
Member # 654

I'd just like to start an argument with Saffron Buggles, if that's alright with everyone *grin*
Your point is well-made, Saffron (interesting name). But are you really telling me that you'll compromise a story just to sell it? You'll stretch it out to longer than it should be, or shrink it to shorter than it should be? That's what takes the fun out of writing. Word limits are nice as a guideline, nothing more. Who here (other than you, Saffron mate) will lengthen or shorten a story just because Mr Publisher says so?
JK

JP Carney
Member # 894

Okay, I went back through the threads from the last year and found the two threads I know dealt with this question. Below is a highlight of some info I pulled out of them. The info was posted by various people, and I in no way claim accuracy of the info that follows.

In a mss formated document, Time Roman, 12pt, you get 25-26 lines of 55-60 characters, giving you approximately 250 words per mss page.

Thus, 10 mss pages would be approximately 2,500 words, or a shor story (approximately 7,500 words in length) would be about 30 mss pages.

Someone noted, after doing a google search, that several resources said that the average paperback book page length was 350 words.

So, using that, your mss page of 250 is about 70% of a paperback book page. Thus, if your mss novel is 125,000 words long (or 500 mss pages), your novel is around 350-360 paperback book pages long (or hell, forget the 70% and just divide your word count by 350 for the paperback book page rather than the 250 for the mss page).

Additionally, someone cited the Feb. 2001 WD as saying that the suggested length for a marketable first novel is approximately 70,000 words (or 280 mss pages, or 200 paperback pages).

Hope this helps.

JP

JP Carney
Member # 894

JK, if Ms. Publisher likes my story, but would like it to be longer (or likely shorter) for whatever reason and it'll get published? I'd probably work at it, see if it's possible, and go with it if it is. If I think doing so (after trying it) ruins the integrity of the story, I'd tell them so and say (as best I could) that they'd have to take it as is, and see what their response is (and what mine is as a writer really wanting to get published).

Now, if you're asking if I'm going to completely conform to the rules during the writing process, not likely, at least not right away. The process isn't about formulas and rules or even guidelines, it's about creating. Once it's down, I may start reading the second and third drafts with the 'rules' in mind, as a part of the editing process, but again, with the integrity of the story in mind.

JP

srhowen
Member # 462

Shawn raises hand and says twas me that quoted the Feb 2001 WD magazine article.

Hmm---I may start a debate here as well. That’s ok I’m good at those.

As I stated, I have three very long complete novels----I wrote them with passion, with flow, and without flow, I wrote them flaunting the rules, and formulas—I flaunted the advice of published authors---my writing is good, my writing is great. Hey, I’ve sold non-fic, I do ghost writing, I do not have to conform---it is about art, it is about creating, it is about writing because I am a writer, and I have to write or my skull would explode.

I have a file box full of rejections on those novels---I kid you not. The first, I think I have close to 30 on. I got one request for the full mss from an on-line e book publisher that said---too long in bold letters. I sent the full mss to a couple of publishers that still accepted complete mss---I got two form rejections and one advising me to divide it in four---at the least three books. I got one very nasty personal letter saying—the book goes on and on---on and on---and on and on---while interesting—this is just too long. But, oh how that book touched my soul. You have no idea what it felt like to finish that thing. Not my first book------that one I finished many years ago and it sits in the back of the closet where it belongs---but this one---wow. I wrote with art, flow, and with the fire of creation.

The second book, I think I stopped at 20 rejections and set it aside. I’d stopped sending to publishers and sent only to agents. I got 20 form rejections. But I ignored them. This is art, I am an artist---I create! The h--- with all of your rules and suggestions, why should I listen to you. I am a creator!

At this point, I started seriously reading all those writing books that lined my shelves. I subscribed to WD and read it cover to cover. A light went on somewhere. Hey, these people are artists just like me. So, why does it take me 200,000 plus words to tell a story and they can do it in less than 100,000? I began doing the exercises they suggested. I marked up books with highlighters—I underlined descriptions----everything they said, I tried. Then I got wrote my third book---

I patted myself on the back---told in 150,000 words. I was getting somewhere. But when I read it I still saw many flaws. So, it was back to the books and the examples, and the crit groups.

Guess what? I was still creating. I am still an artist. Then came two things. One—a book called a “The Complete Guide to Editing Your Fiction”, and the February 2001 issue of Writers Digest Magazine.

I sat down and thought---what would happen if I wrote a story with the guide lines in mind instead of going back and trying to make an already written book conform to them later?

By the end of May, I had the first draft of a 73,000 word novel. I sent out 10 queries on it. I had two requests out of those for the complete mss. I got other personal notes.

I was still an artist, I was still a creator---but now I had shown that I can follow the standards.

So, what am I saying? Being a non-conformist is fine, if you write for yourself, or perhaps for a small audience of friends and relatives,---but if you want to sell your first book---I think you need to keep the standards in the back of your mind as you write. Read the books on how to edit first—then go at it. If you are a creator, a true artist, then I think you can create within the publishing standards.

We shall see, I have just sent out another 9 queries---on a much edited and re-written novel that follows the standards.

IMHO
Shawn

[This message has been edited by srhowen (edited February 01, 2002).]

Bardos
Member # 1260

- posted      Profile for Bardos   Email Bardos         Edit/Delete Post 
I've writen chapters of 500 words and chapters of 10,000 words.
The important thing is each chapter to have a certain meaning, not to be a bunch of scenes put together.
Also it's nice if you can write chapters that end in minor cliffhangers. They make the reader want to read more of your stuff.

I agree with Shawn about having to write as they say, if you want to get published. That's why we get bad fantasy, there days...

But I would suggest, Shawn, that you write as you feel it. Hell, Steven Erikson needed six years to get published; and he writes THE most original fantasy nowadays, imho.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Sep 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

That was sort of my point----that you can still create, and write what you feel, but within the industry standards.

In fact, this last book is my best effort yet. It is a fresh idea, and the writing is tight and precise, it had to be to fit those guides.

No, I do not recommend a bunch of unrelated strung together scenes just to make the count---but by keeping the count in mind it is surprising how mush less editing things needed later.

Shawn

JK
Member # 654

I still feel unwilling to write stories according to standards imposed by others. It's my story, and it'll be as long as it is, in the format it is, and so on. Maybe that doesn't fit in a neat little formula for the publishers, but hey, if its written well enough, it should sell. If it's been forced into a box too big or too small, it won't be written well, and so it won't sell at all. Or, at least, I won't want to sell it.
JK

Heimdall
Member # 1323

Look at a lot of fiction nowadays:
Terry Goodkind for one. His books are vast (personally I find them incredibly boring where the whole of the book could quite easily be set in a small room where all the characters sit on chairs and play out their petty part) and I don't like his use of syntax.

He still sells loads of books! I wonder how long his first one was.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
JK, I had an experience with writing for a specific publication that may be helpful here.

I have a friend who is a well-published, well-known writer (as in able to make a living with his writing and do well enough to have money to spare for other projects).

At one time, he was looking into publishing and had arranged with another friend to put out a fantasy anthology. The other friend would be the editor of this anthology.

I had written a story that hadn't sold yet, and so I queried these friends about sending it to them for the anthology.

The editor asked if the protagonist were female, because there weren't enough female protagonists among the stories submitted so far.

My protagonist wasn't female, but I was willing to rewrite the story so that the protagonist was female. (I could do this because the story had grown out of an idea instead of a particular character.)

The editor liked the story as rewritten and only had a few suggestions to make on the story.

One suggestion, however, was that I have the character do something that was not only out of character, but that I considered incredibly stupid in that situation.

When I said I couldn't make that change, the editor implied that they didn't want the story, then. (This is known, by the way, as a "deal-breaker.")

I felt that the story was a good story without the change and so withdrew it. I sent it around to some other anthologies, including the Magic: The Gathering (TM) anthology, TAPESTRIES.

The editor of TAPESTRIES contacted me and said that they'd filled that anthology but were doing another, DISTANT PLANES. While my story didn't particularly fit the Magic: The Gathering (TM) game, she could see how it could be adapted to fit, and would I be willing to make the changes?

I said I'd be willing to see what I could do, so the editor sent me photocopies of the card set she felt my story fit, and asked me to see if I could slip in some references to some of those cards.

This I did, and resubmitted the story. She had a couple of other suggestions (of cards to refer to, and of some clarifications she felt I needed to add) and I did what I could with those.

Then she bought the story. If you want to read it, it's in MAGIC: THE GATHERING DISTANT PLANES--"A Monstrous Duty" by Kathleen Dalton-Woodbury (promotional plug <grin> ).

There are things editors may ask you to do that you just can't do and have the story work.

But there are other things editors may ask you to do that will work fine with your story.

Only you, as author, can determine which things are which.

The anthology my friends were going to do never did happen, by the way.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Buggles
Member # 1357

- posted      Profile for Saffron Buggles   Email Saffron Buggles         Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly, JK, I don't mind an argument. I have enough opinion and experience, and, dare I say, knowledge, that I can hold my end of an argument and not sound like a complete dolt, (which I have done in the past, but we won't go there. Ahh the lessons on humility that we must endure...).

I do object though when my opponent(s), try to read more into what I actually say, to further their own arguments.
I'm not saying that you did this intentionally, JK, or with any malice what-so-ever, but let me set you straight on one point.
I didn't say that I would compromise, shorten, or lengthen a story, because of Mr. Publisher.

The main thrust of my point has been iterated, and reiterated by SRHowen, (and others), and it's all about my desire to begin my career as a writer.

Of course I'm an artist first and foremost.
None of us, I believe, begin writing, because we think that there is a s*** load of money out there to get from the unsuspecting public. No! We write because we are compelled to express ourselves artistically.
For some it's Fine Art.
For others, like myself, it's Acting. (though it's very easy to think of the money in acting, because stars are paid soooooo much - again, NOT why I did a performing arts course)
For those of us who have the imagination that screams for a release, we put pen to paper, literally or cybernetically speaking. Why? Not because there's money to be made, but because We HAVE To, for whatever reason, sanity, etc...

Why do I then say that I would be willing to confine my creative talent to a word limit?

Because: a. it isn't really confining! and b. to be able to make a career in this field, we must be able to MARKET OURSELVES.
We have to establish our audience, before we can dictate terms ourselves, and that means getting published.

If you're happy plodding along for 6 years, sending mss after mss (what does that exatly stand for by the way? LOL) to the same publishers again and again, until one of them finally gives up and says.... Okay, so you write really well, already. If we publish your book, will you leave us alone then??? (tongue firmly embedded in cheek) by all means, plod away.

If, on the other hand, you can't wait that long, like me, and you do have a talent that you want to share with the world, and you ARE willing to compromise, (not your creativity or integrity or the Quality! of your writing), or should I say, make concessions, to get that first novel out of the way, then you [u]should[/u] keep to the industry standard GUIDLINES for a first book.

By no means, Bardos, do I advocate writing BAD fiction. You write YOUR fiction. If some think it's BAD then that's just their opinion. For those who truly write bad fiction, and we feel sorry for them, sometimes the only way for them to get published in the first place is to write it formulaically. (yes that is a word, by the way... I looked it up. *grin* ^_^)

The point that many don't realise, is that sometimes you have to make those consessions to get your foot in the door.

Even Tolkien first published the shorter "The Hobbit" before LOTR was accepted.

Try telling Robert Jordan, or David Eddings, or any of the "established" writers what to write. They'll tell you to get f.....far away. Many of them started with shorter fiction.

Once you make the inroads, then you can tell the driver which way to turn.
WITHOUT COMPROMISING your writing.

JK, you don't have to "box" your writing at all. Just write a story that fits the box. It will sell, and you wrote it to perfecly MATCH the package.

my ¥2
Dave

[This message has been edited by Saffron Buggles (edited February 05, 2002).]

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

Hey, just so we all know, when I said I was going to start an argument, I didn't mean it literally *grin* I just meant I had a counter-point.
I would say, Mr Buggles, that I didn't read any more into what you said to further my own points, because you said everything I said you were saying in the last post.
Starting your career as a writer is fine. But I, for one, refuse to be forced into thinking 'Okay, if I want to start a career, I have to conform to these rules. I'll break out somewhere along the way.'
quote:
We write because we are compelled to express ourselves artistically.
That's my point. Conforming at first is writing in order to make money, even if that money is pittance. Marketting (SP?) yourself doesn't mean doing exactly what some publisher wants you to. I'll happily plod along for six years sending out my ms (which stands for manuscript, mss is plural). Obviously not to the same ones as before, because if they reject it once, they won't accept it a second time. But I won't stop because it's 120,000 words instead of 80,000. I won't try and cut it down to the latter if I feel the novel is finished. At the end of the day, word count is an admin tool, and admin doesn't concern me enough that I'll change the way I write for it.
I'm afraid I have this attitude because I'm stubborn. Chronically so. Perhaps you're willing to make concessions, Buggles, but I'm afraid it's not in my nature. I also feel that the same concessions will produce bad fiction - or, at least, not your best fiction. Even if you don't cut up a novel to fit into guidelines, but start one fresh, you'll still be aiming to create a story that's limited from the start.
quote:
Even Tolkien first published the shorter "The Hobbit" before LOTR was accepted.
Bad example, because you're wrong. Tolkien wrote the Hobbit first, and LOTR grew up as a result of that children's story. I imagine the Hobbit is short precisely because it was meant for children. Tolkien is actually a bad example for your case because the sheer size of the LOTR story proves my point; Tolkien wrote the story until it was done, then sold it 'as is' to a publisher.
I've ranted a little, I know, and I apologise for that. But it's a subject very close to my heart *grin*
JK

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.