Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Age of Writers

Author Topic: Age of Writers
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I just went through the Introduce Yourself thread.

I now feel old---I have grown children the age of most people that have posted there.

So, is it that mostly younger people use the Internet and post on these boards, or is it that most writers struggling to get their first book published are young?

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 1369

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I would imagine primarily the latter. But, after all, much of OSC's fiction attracts younger readers, so perhaps primarily young writers find the spot.
Posts: 55 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bardos
Member # 1260

- posted      Profile for Bardos   Email Bardos         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that mostly young people use the net. There many older writers unpublished. But, of course, as you age, your chances of geting published are increased.

How old do you make me?

Posts: 80 | Registered: Sep 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Human For Sale
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Human For Sale   Email Human For Sale         Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly younger people use the internet. I'm online more than my mom, my older sister, her boyfriend as well as my aunt and uncle. My younger brothers are online more than me. And so it goes.

Pretty soon, we'll have 18 month old children hacking into government files...

Bardos --> old enough? heh...

~Tashina~

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Space Command is establishing a sub-division that will track potentially malicious code through the internet to its physical point of location so that reaction forces can be directed immediately to the site of an information attack. When the next generation of the internet is put in place, they intend to have the ability to perform this in real time.

So pretty soon, the result you get from hacking into a secured site will be uncomfortably like the reaction you would get if you tried to blast your way through the front office with an Uzi.

Of course, the Chinese already have something like this in place...which is part of the reason that mainlander Chinese tend to be so pro-communist on the web.

I do not explicitly reveal my age here, but I have done so elsewhere, for any that care.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no children (unless you count cats or sports cars), but I am twice the age of some of the regulars here. I feel just as comfortable in this community as anywhere else on the web.

I'm struggling to get my first book published at this age because I have a career . . . a day job.

Don't feel old, srhowen. Just feel like a writer.

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited February 15, 2002).]

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

CAts and Cars? Well, glad I ma not the only one. I love preformance cars and have 4 cats. NO I don't feel old--old---but I just noticed it, that's all.

I know many older peopple that are on the net as much as I am----a good 6-7 hrs a day, I just think they don't surf as much---I surf for a bit but I stay mostly to the sites where I fel that I fit in.

Shawn

cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not that young (18 years old), and I don't use the internet that often. This is mostly because of a lack of an modemless computer at home. I go on the internet at lunch, but mostly to check my email and this site.

Bardos -- I thought that many on this site were younger than they actually are, but apperently that's not the case. Sooooo, 35?

Chris

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, 18 may seem old to me, but I've had people tell me they wish they were my age. So if anyone tell me that 18 is young yet, I already know. Save your breath.

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited February 15, 2002).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 1198

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I don't think I'd want to be 18 again. But I certainly wouldn't mind staying 24 for several years... say, maybe 10 years or so.

Then I'd be ready to spend 8-10 years being 25...

Posts: 231 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 1369

I'm twenty-six, and I feel ancient.

OTOH, I'm a little more aware of death than most people my age. I've had some major health problems.

srhowen
Member # 462

So have I--on the health problems thing. There are two ways to look at it--I can sit and feel awful or get up and get moving on life.

When I was in my 20's they told me I wouldn' see 30--when I turned 30 they said I wouldn't see 40--guess what? I am past 40---I don' listen to them anymore and go on.

You are as old as your mind belives you are.

Shawn

Maccabeus
Member # 1369

*nods* In agreement, SRhowen. In fact, I'm not saying I'm expecting to die soon. I just have the suspicion that it will be sooner than average. Say, to sixty rather than eighty. And anyway I don't know that. The real crises for me passed years ago.

In any case, I simply feel older than I am because of it. I'm a pessimist and the cup is, therefore, half-empty rather than half-full. Who knows? Maybe it'll drive me to greater achievement...

GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
"You are as old as your mind thinks you are"

Isn't that the truth. When I was younger I never would have imagined that by the time I got to 25 I would feel "older than the hills" some days and "green as a gourd" on others (or heck, sometimes in the same day).
Maybe it goes along with starting to feel stupider every year (A common trend among friends of a similar age). It's not really that I'm actually losing brain capacity, it's just that I actually realize how much more there is to know about.

It's enough to make a person very tired sometimes.

GZ

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

A friend and I recently discussed walking through a High School. I teach in middle school---at both ages a person thinks they know everything there is to know, then we get older and somewhere around the middle twenties a person does start to think--hey maybe mom and dad weren't so dumb after all.

funny--I think writing goes the same way--you start out thinking everything you do is great—(no need to follow any “rules”—you are great and your great work will sell no matter what) then you realize that hey it isn't so great—(maybe I better see what everyone else has done), and then you read all the books you can get your hands on about writing and hopefully reach a stage where you can, one see the faults--or most of them--in your work and what you write is good stuff. (some of those faults are seen trough the eyes of others--but I think you have to reach a stage where you can accept them) (and two the writing in those books on how to write will make sense in relation to your work.)

Shawn

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.