Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Outline vs Synopsis----

Author Topic: Outline vs Synopsis----
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Which do you find more difficult to write---an outline or a synopsis? I finally had the synopsis thing down. I can do one in only a half page. Not very detailed, but I have gotten the knack for it---so now I have had to do an outline.

Let me tell you---outlines are as flat as a penny run over by a train! I wonder why an agent would even request a chapter by chapter outline. It gives the facts, but the flavor of the book is certianly lost

So what do you think? Synopsis or outline? Which is worse?

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually, I think of an outline as the plan for the story that I use at the beginning.

The synopsis is what you come up with after it's ready to be submitted and you want to give someone a capsule version of the story.

(Synopses can be in chapter-by-chapter format, but they don't have to be.)

If the agent has specifically asked for chapter-by-chapter, you could always send along stuff with it, like character sketches, to help flesh out the dry plot outline.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, its done---synopsis in outline form---writing it wasn't that bad--but it seems so flat as compared to the actual writing. I am glad that there are sample chapters going with it.

Sheesh--well if someone else asks for an outline form synop---I have one now.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.