Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » question--yikes

Author Topic: question--yikes
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
OK my last question bombed, but maybe I can find the answer to this one. When sending out queries---do you use the blitz way or send one at a time? By blitz I mean send out maybe twenty and then wait as each one comes back and then send a replacement. I have always done this and never had more than one agency ask to see a complete novel manuscript at a time.

Now on to the big question---if more than one agency has asked to see your manuscript at the same time—(and neither one has asked for an exclusive)---then what? Say both agencies want to be informed if anyone else is interested---but is it ok to tell them the other is interested and then send the requested manuscript on to both? Do you think this will light a fire for them to get to it sooner or will it kill interest?

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Shawn, if they both want it at the same time, I'd send it to your first choice (of the two) right away and tell the other one that such and such agency is also interested, do they want to see it, too?

If your second choice still wants to see it, I'd write to the first choice agency and tell them that so and so (#2) is also interested and ask if they mind your sending it to them as well.

If they're okay with that, then send it to #2.

And don't worry about this taking some time (you can phone if you're really worried, or email). They won't be sitting around tapping their feet, waiting to hear from you. Things take time in the publishing business, and you will have time to do all the back-and-forth communications.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Kathleen. I learned my lesson with the rush job, last year. But this time the manuscript is as flawless as I am able to make it--and it was before I started sending out queries.

Can I say that I am elated, apprehensive, and scared, at the same time? I have a friend that does movie reviews--she used to do book reviews, she asked "So, when do I see this on the shelf?" and had very few negative things to say at all.

Shawn

[This message has been edited by srhowen (edited March 08, 2002).]

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.