Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What's your addiction?

Author Topic: What's your addiction?
uberslacker2
Member # 1397

- posted      Profile for uberslacker2   Email uberslacker2         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey. This isn't really about any of the literary things normally discussed (dialogue, character development..ya know stuff like that) it's actually just a wild idea. I thought of this question while writing an e-mail to my old english teacher.

Stephen King describes writing as the thing that keeps him going, and Roald Dahl says, "writing is to me what burbon is to a drunk." Do any of the rest of you feel like this? I know that sometimes I do, it's probably why I build fantasy worlds. Since I can't just up and run away from the world for a couple of days (I'm not about to walk and I can't drive legally so I'd probably get caught and sent home) I write in this fantasy world. If I'm really lucky my head gets completely into the story and I don't think about the outside world at all. It's sort of my drug so that I can forget about whatever crap I'm going through at that specific time.

Do any of you feel the same way? or something like that?

The Great Uberslacker

BTW, I also write because it's fun but that's just an added benefit.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
Writing takes second place behind martial arts.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
For whatever it's worth, when I'm in my "writing zone" then that's the addiction, but I have other "zones" (such as genealogy).

I tend to do a lot of things, some at the same time ("dove-tailing"?), but there are things, like writing and genealogy, that I will think about a lot even when I'm not in that particular "zone." What I am thinking about the most depends on what "zone" I was in most recently.

Moderating here at Hatrack, or any of the other things I do working with writers (you didn't think this was the only thing, did you?), can fill my thoughts, too.

Don't know if I'd call them addictions, though. Unless the thinking is an addiction of sorts. If I didn't have something to mull over as I go along, I'd probably go bonkers, so maybe the thinking is the addiction....

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited March 25, 2002).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Salt--I think it must be salt---

And writing--but I eat salty food when I write. Then reading.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
There are certain things in this world which belong together. Peanut better and jelly, beer and pizza, etc. Another such pairing, for me anyway, includes two of my addictions: smoking (cigarettes) and writing. I have so many ideas I can't help but to write a few of them down. While I'm writing I'll be stuck on a certain sentence or scene and I'l take a smoke break and run ideas through my head and things seem to come clearer. I think I could give up writing just as easily as cigarette smoking, which is to say never. Give me a a pack of Marlboro Lights and a blank page and I'll be content.

Yes, writing is an addiction.

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I find First Person Shooters pretty addictive. On the other hand, I can quit basically whenever I want...like when I start losing

Seriously, I wouldn't say that I'm addicted to writing. Actually, just the opposite. I need impetus to actually write. I'm constantly thinking, except when I'm asleep (I would say I was addicted to sleeping, but I don't think that you can be addicted to something that is a universal need of all humans, all vertabrates, in fact), so I guess that I might be addicted to thinking, but I bet that more people think than show any signs of doing so (maybe not very interesting or original thoughts, but neurobiologists have correllated certain types of brain activity to cognition, and so far haven't found a lot of humans that don't at least display electrical activity consistent with cognitive activity).

So I guess I'm not addicted to anything. Including salt.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Chocolate – chocolate might be the closest thing I have to an addiction.

Getting lost in a book or in writing is good stuff, but I wouldn’t qualify it as an addiction. Too much rational control involved on my part.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Falken224
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Reading. I'm addicted to reading. I just picked up a book the other day by Lawrence Block. It was your standard hitman story . . . 'bout 400 pages or so. It was done 2 days later. Just read Phantom . . . 3 days. Ender's Shadow . . . day and a half.

Suffice it to say, my book habit is REALLY expensive. That's why I'm taking up writing . . . to PAY for my reading habits.

And I am NOT addicted to writing. I'm addicted to making up stories, and I'm quite good at it. Putting them down on paper . . . I HATE it! In fact, I can think of few things I hate more. Although, seeing the words once I'm DONE writing is rather nice.

But the reading . . . it's gonna kill my budget. *sigh*

| Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry Pournelle once said something more or less to this effect:

"Most writers hate writing. They like having written, but hate writing. I only know one writer who enjoys writing, and I'm worried about him."

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy writing, but I would not say that I am addicted to it.

I am, however, addicted to the Hatrack website.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't even go the Web route--since I discvoered the e-query--I am addicted to my mail box----there goes Shawn to check her e-mail--fifty times a day. "What do you mean the phone will be down for the next three hours?"

I HAVE TO CHECK MY MAIL!

And for me I have to write or I turn into the female dog from hell. Anyoneknow of WMS pill? (Writer's Mental Syndrom)

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 1198

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, I'm not addicted to writing. I am, however, addicted to the idea of writing. The planning, development, world-building, character development, "what if..." scenarios, etc...

I never stop thinking of new story ideas, or new ways to develop old story ideas... which is unfortunate, since I find it so hard to actually put all of that addictive thinking on paper. And the longer I wait to write it down, the more of a loggerjam backup of ideas I get in my brain.

... hopefully this addiction to planning is a gateway to addiction to writing.

Posts: 231 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
ink1373
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for ink1373   Email ink1373         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seperated my life into five elements.

Reading, Writing, Drawing, Painting, and Music.

RWDPM

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought
Member # 111

- posted      Profile for Thought   Email Thought         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm, addictions. My biggest is Dr. Pepper. I am a DP fiend. As a total aside, DP is one of the only soft drinks out there that is not owned by either Pepsi or Coke. And it is also the only company that admits to using artificial flavoring (and I should hope so. No one is going to mistake DP for prune juice).

But as far as writing goes. Aye, its an addiction. A mistress and a tormentor. I love it, and yet there are few things that I dread as much. They reason for this being is that its all well and good once I get into the mind set of writing. But getting into that mindset, forcing my mind to concentrate on a story that, at the slightest hint of, my mind has already raced ahead chapters. And then of course there is the terror of when I must eventually stop... its like planting a tree. The roots just get established, then you uproot it again.

Then there is the terror that waits in the darkness. No matter how tired I am, how much I just want to sleep, as soon as my head hits the pillow my mind begins to overflow with ideas, demanding me to get up once again and tend to them.

So I am addicted to writing but it is a very cruel taskmaster.

Just a writing

Thought

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
Much like FlyingCow here. I'm addicted to creating background, as well as the story in my head. Actually writing the story down takes some effort. I thoroughly enjoy it when I start, but I'm incredibly lazy, so I have a thousand ways of putting it off. Including reading and computer games. The Gamecube, when it comes out over here in Old Blighty, will probably kill my writing for a couple of weeks, unless I get really disciplined.
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.