Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Endings

Author Topic: Endings
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
My endings are unsatisfying. Not sometimes. Always. I love how some endings feel as if the story could go on forever, and will, but the storytelling is over. This story is complete, and the reader is then left to wonder what will become of everything. I also like endings that feel wonderfully closed--Lord of the Rings comes to mind. Tolkien tied up every single loose thread at the end without killing the story. By the time Sam says "Well, I'm back," the story is 100% complete.

I can't do either one. I have tried both, but each one, in its own way, feels like I have severed the story. I start well, get things rolling, and conclude, but everyone who reads it assumes I have written this as the introduction to something bigger. But I have no more ideas. In my mind I have finished the story. How do you end stories, and how long should a good ending take?

Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess some of it depends on whether you are speaking of a novel or a short story. You need to look back through your story and see if yu have left things unanswered. Ask your friends why they think it should go on.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to kill off all my characters on the last page.

Really.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the things that is so great about OSC's HOW TO WRITE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY (in my opinion, anyway) is how he discusses his M-I-C-E story categories in terms of structure, and especially in terms of satisfactory endings.

I strongly recommend you get the book and read it, even if it's only for ideas on how to improve endings, but in the meantime, a
quickie rendition of what he says goes as follows:

M--milieu stories start when a character finds himself (let herself be understood here, okay?) in some place strange and has to learn how to deal with this new place while trying to return to familiar territory. A milieu story ends either when the character finds the way home, or learns to live happily in the new place.

I--idea stories start when there is some puzzle or mystery or question (what is really going on here?) and they end when the puzzle, mystery, question is resolved/answered/revealed.

(I'd like to add that there are many amateur stories which try to be idea stories and end up sounding like the beginning of a novel because the readers want to know what the characters do about the situation now that they understand what is actually going on. If that is the case, to end the story with just the revelation would be cheating the reader, and that's why they're amateur stories.)

C--character stories start when a character experiences role problems. OSC talks about characters who desire a different role from the one they're in, but I think this also applies to characters who are torn from their comfort zones/roles and try to get back. Character stories end when the character either achieves the desired role, or learns to accept something else.

E--event stories start when the main character decides to do something about the loss of the status quo. (Whatever has upset the status quo could be centuries in the past, but the event story starts when the main character finally won't take it any more.) Event stories end when the status quo is restored, or a new (and, we hope, better) world is created out of the struggle.

Since most stories are not just one kind of story, it can be hard to figure out when you've come to the right ending, but I hope this summary will inspire you to read OSC's book and get a better idea of what he advises.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Kathleen! I did read HTWSF&F over the summer last year, and I remember reading that MICE quotient part. I had forgotten that OSC answers the ending question as a part of it. Hmmm...okay, well, I'll be a little more specific, I guess. I started a story as an Idea story, so of course I have to tie up the mystery. But pretty soon, this story went the way of all my stories--and became a Character story. Okay, so I like cool characters. I like writing cool characters. The problem came when my character's story was finished before I had concluded the Idea story. I can't end the story now, but there's no reason for the character to keep going. It's very awkward. Have any of you encountered this problem? How did you fix it?
Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
So you're saying that your character resolved the role issues and has no reason to go on?

I would think that once the character has found his/her proper role/niche then that character would be empowered and ready to go on to solve the idea question part of the story.

If the problem/question that started your idea story wasn't important enough for your character to still want to resolve it, then maybe what you need to do is get rid of the idea part and just concentrate on the character story part.

Bardos
Member # 1260

- posted      Profile for Bardos   Email Bardos         Edit/Delete Post 
<<The problem came when my character's story was finished before I had concluded the Idea story. I can't end the story now, but there's no reason for the character to keep going. It's very awkward. >>

An idea would be to change characters. Use ones your main characters have met and are now interested in the mystery. Or think WHO would be interested in this mystery now? Of course, if the answer is no-one, then let it be. Some mysteries are never solverd, anyway --and this smells of reallity...

Posts: 80 | Registered: Sep 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Falken224
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Or, you could pull a Robert Jordan and take 37 more books spanning 17 generations and involving a cast of somwhere in the vicinity of 37,248.3 main characters by way of introducing the TRUE nature of your mystery. Of course that would mean you have to write 67 more books to FINISH the story, but hey, small sacrifice, right?

Seriously, though. If it's an idea story, you have to wrap the idea up, otherwise people will never truly buy that it's the end of the story. You can wrap up the character's story if you wanat, and call that at the end. However, as Bardos said, SOMEBODY needs to pick up and solve this mystery, be it the same char 20 years later, his descendants, or somebody else completely. (though if it's somebody new you STILL need to tie it in to the old story in some way, shape or form, though it doesn't have to be an obvious tie-in.)

| Report this post to a Moderator
epiquette
Member # 1272

- posted      Profile for epiquette   Email epiquette         Edit/Delete Post 
My problem is...(err, sorry if I mooch off your thread)--

I'm having trouble with the end-end, that is, the part after the big climax. Perhaps I've heard this called the denoument? I'm not sure. Anyway, I've gotten more-or-less successfully through mount doom, but I am struggling with the scouring of the shire, so to speak. The novel is mostly a milieu/event story with a bit of the C and I thrown in, and these are basically all tied up in the climax.

But the pacing seems wrong to just stop when the story is going full speed. I'm not sure how to make it work. The current draft has a two page last chapter that is kind of a 'riding off into the sunset' ending, which is not too horrid, but still somewhat abrupt. I have considered a sequence of scenes that show some of the fallout across the land, but this seems too saccarine sweet to me--too fairy tale.

I know this is not a lot to go on, but any general hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Erk

PS. I think I'm almost ready to show this to a group! I'm both excited and nervous.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC used to have a bit of a problem with dramatic structure termination in his novels, such that a few of his novels ended up being defined by the life span of the protagonist. It was a structure that worked well for the novels where he used it, but was ultimately limiting because not all stories are biographical (in the sense of being one character's life story).

All stories are defined by the essential dramatic structure of establishing a problem or tension that the audience wants to see resolved, then bringing that tension to a climax, then resolving it in a manner acceptable to the audience.

Every story breaks down into sub-stories, just as any real world problem can be broken down into discrete but interelated steps, each of which have to be successfully accomplished in order to deal with the larger problem. This process is usually nested, such that each smaller problem fits entirely within a larger problem. If your character's dramatic transformation takes place within the larger context of the resolution of a mystery, then it makes sense to treat it this way, even if you feel that this element is more important than the larger story. Another option is to have the mystery as background in the story, the same way that even though many of our lives have been lived chronologically within the context of the history of the U.S., or so forth, we don't write our life stories as subordinate elements of that history, we simply leave that history in the background of our personal life stories. If you have really lost interest in using the mystery story as the overarching dramatic tension, then you should simply eliminate all the story prior to the begining of your character's story.

In a more general sense, I would say that you should take a single dramatic tension, work that through to its resolution, and consider that story finished. 'Tis okay to have characters that still have issues, problems that haven't been solved, milieu that hasn't been fully explored, or ideas that are hinted at but not fully explicated. These might easily become the subjects of sequels, if they are actually all that interesting, or simply be left alone, if you have no interest in them.

In any case, you should consider your story finished when the core dramatic tension is resolved. To make things easy, this should be the tension that you have introduced near the beginning of the story, brought to a climax near the end, and that is related to (either affecting or being affected by) everything within the story. You should consider this tension resolved once the audience is satisfied that it has been resolved. If the tension is a murder, then the usual resolution is revelation and punishment of the murderer, the audience would typically be unsatisfied if you let the murderer get away. Alternatively, you can have a homicide turn out to be justified, and this revelation can ease the tension felt by the audience such that they don't insist on knowing the fate of the killer. In either case, you have to relieve the underlying tension experienced by the audiance.

The reason that the ending of the LOTR dragged out so long past the scene on the slopes of Orodruin is not because (or not only because) Tolkein naively wanted to get all his characters safely home. The central dramatic tension of the story is the ending of the Third Age of Middle Earth, and properly must cover the departure of magic from the land. Thus the scouring of the Shire demonstrates a shift from the heavily magical adventures of the previous age, and establishes a supplanting ordering principle in the world of Middle Earth, the battle is unmagical, and won by sound tactical sense, not by heroics. If Tolkien had gotten everyone safely home, but then failed to show magic passing out of the world, at least some of his more perceptive readers would have been outraged, since he makes it clear that the ending of the Third Age as seen by the hobbits, not the overthrow of Sauron and the destruction of the One, is his central story.

Still, I have to caution against holding up LOTR as an example of perfect writing. It is probably unwise to attempt to imitate it in most respects.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Narvi
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Narvi   Email Narvi         Edit/Delete Post 
If your problem is that no character can reasonably uncover the idea, remember that none has to. Consider Second Foundation: everyone is content and satisfied and ready to go on with their inevitable historical duty, but the reader still doesn't know where the Second Foundation is! So Asimov tells us.

While I haven't tried this sort of ending, it doesn't look that difficult , and it can be very satisfying.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

epiquette, I think you're talking about what Algis Budrys calls "the validation" or the scene at the end (after the resolution) where Luke and Han and Chewie get medals put around their necks, even though we don't really need to see that part--we know the Death Star was destroyed and the Rebellion lives to fight another day.

If you think of it in terms of a validation (or a recognition that the story is over), then it might be easier to think about.

Yes, the hero rides off into the sunset, and he can do that because he has beaten the bad guy and saved the people, and they have come to thank him before he goes.

Some stories really need something like that at the end, and some stories work better without it--you have to decide which works best for your story. (Would STAR WARS, A NEW HOPE have felt okay if it had ended with the MILLENIUM FALCON and the two Rebel fighters flying away from the Death Star as it exploded? Possibly, but the award ceremony was kind of fun.) (Does AMERICAN GRAFFITTI need the epilog--what happened to everyone--at the end? Maybe not, but it was kind of fun, too.) (Why am I citing George Lucas movies here? AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!)

Anyway, I think looking at the "denouement" as the "validation scene" might be useful.

I hope so, anyway.

epiquette
Member # 1272

- posted      Profile for epiquette   Email epiquette         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Kathleen! Much appreciated. I think I understand what needs to happen. Hopefully some (story) specifics will now find their way into my head that will fit the bill.

Erk

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.