Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » abandoning rationality

Author Topic: abandoning rationality
uberslacker2
Member # 1397

- posted      Profile for uberslacker2   Email uberslacker2         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about writing a story which aside from the first page or two (it probably won't be very long) rationality gets a nice chuck out the window. It starts off with all the main characters seperating themselves from their bodies because they care so little about the world that they can focus their attention on other things. Then they go join up with Queen Rebecca, the queen of the universe. From this place they become known as the uberslackers (the generals at least) [I came up with the idea when I was explaining my name to someone]. They have to fight a war against invading '
'presences' that are trying to come into the universe. Would this be absolutely way too crazy or would some people accept it at the allegorical value I intend it?

The 'Great Uberslacker' (it's my story...hehe)

Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds surreal. Personally, I like my surreal to be humorous. I'd give it a look, though.
I guess if you abandon rationality completely, you'll be alright. What will kill you is trying to rationalise irrationality.
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, if it's consistent and clear within the constraints of its irrationality (in other words, if it works and the readers can make sense of it), then go for it.

Just remember the three questions that every writer has to be sure to answer for the readers (according to OSC):

Is it believable? (aka "faith" or "oh yeah?")

Why should I care? (aka "hope" or "so what?")

What? (aka "clarity" or "huh?")

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
epiquette
Member # 1272

- posted      Profile for epiquette   Email epiquette         Edit/Delete Post 
For irrationality done well (IMHO) you should read some novels by P. K. Dick. They are great reads, and in some cases, extremely weird.

Specific books I'm thinking of would be: Ubik, Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, and Game Players of Titan...(others, anyone?)

The first two of these are must reads, period.

Also there is award winning Man in the High Castle, which is a different kind of book (alternate history), also excellent.
Stay away from the Valis trilogy.

This may not be quite the same kind of irrationality that you have in mind, but in any case, I think these books could offer some useful techniques in keeping readers interested as all the rules fly out the window.

That is...if you haven't read these already.

Just my thoughts,

Erk

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Falken224
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet! Someone else who likes Dick! In my social circles, nobody's ever heard of him, it seems like. IMHO one of the greatest short story writers of all time. You could do worse than him for an example.

'Paycheck' has to be my favorite mystery short. :-) Very cool.

| Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
You said you like Dick..heh heh heh heh

Sorry, I was channeling Beavis and Butthead. And I was the one who reminded everyone this was the over 18 BB on another thread.

Uberslacker, rationality is overrated. If the characters are cool I'll read just about anything.

JOHN!!!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited May 21, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited May 21, 2002).]

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
The general idea really doesn’t sound that out-there to me as I read over it. I think if worked right, you could actually make it sound fairly credible (SF credible anyway).

It does seem like it would need some length to do that though, and I’m not exactly sure where the allegory part comes in.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
uberslacker2
Member # 1397

- posted      Profile for uberslacker2   Email uberslacker2         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really even trying to make it sound credible. I would need a very long story in order to explain all the phenomena that would allow me to write a story and that's something I really don't want to do. The allegory has to do with what they have to fight (the forces from outside) and who is doing the fighting. (Slackers). Plus it has something to do with my theory that slackers (at least my brand) aren't all bad. Really I guess the way I'm telling it it's more fantasy than SF, which is usually how I write anyway.

The Great Uberslacker

Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, did anyone say that it was a SF idea?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
By SF, I meant speculative fiction, which I was under the impression was the preferred blanket term for science fiction, fantasy, horror, alternate history, and any other type of fiction where the rules of our universe don't exactly apply.

I suppose it could be some other sort of fiction, if the idea above was just some sort of day-dream that happened to a character in the story, but if you are assuming any sort of literal use of the idea (which is how I read the initial post), then I think that’s pretty much SF.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JeremyMc
Member # 1400

- posted      Profile for JeremyMc   Email JeremyMc         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm mainly posting to stand amidst the ranks of PK Dick fans. His stories work on so many levels, driven by allegory almost as much as Joyce stories. I'm not even into SF as much as I once was, but his stories go beyond genre limitations. Try 'The Pot Healer'. Nothing to do with drugs.

As for Uber, I think anything can work depending on the narrator's view of it and his/her voice.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Mar 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuckles
Member # 1331

- posted      Profile for Chuckles   Email Chuckles         Edit/Delete Post 
Phillip K Dick is a fabuous writer of short stories. I keep meaning to delve into some of his novel-length stuff....

As for abandoning rationality, I would give you a very enthusiastic "go for it"! But, as others have pointed out, one really has to know the rules through and through before one can break them effectively. Where a lot of writers fall flat is in having a brilliant idea, but writing it ineptly. Your idea sounds fascinating, but the key will have to be internal consistency. You can draw readers into the most bizarre, surreal circumstances, through completely foreign experiences, and expose them to weird points of view, as long as you write it well. There have to be underlying reasons why your irrational universe works the way it does.

As long as the reader cares, doesn't feel insulted/condescended to, and isn't distracted by internal inconsistency, the universie is at your command.

Take care
-Justin-

Posts: 23 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.