Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Agent Hell---and cow doo doo

Author Topic: Agent Hell---and cow doo doo
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Got a rejection letter today that had me ROFLMAO. I sent out the requested partial 6 weeks ago, and then discovered that the agent in question had been involved in the edit ink scam a while ago. This is where the agent recommends you to an editor (book doctor) and then gets a kick back. As I have three other good agents also interested and looking I thought I would see what sort of rejection/acceptance letter they sent me.

What I received would roll you on the floor. The letter contradicted itself several times and used bad form as well as bad grammar. She told me I used too many !!!!, funny in a 91,000 word manuscript I used two—and none in the three chapters she had. In it the said agent rewrote a paragraph for me showing me how much better the work could be.

A joke does not begin to describe her re-write. She used the word filled within three words of each other---used “natural” dialog in a way that was crude and sounded like it came from a bad sitcom. Substituted emergency room(her use) for trauma unit(my use)_ (believe me, they are far different places), In my story I have the tech on duty give the doctor a run down of injuries and vitals---yes they do this when someone comes into the trauma center and the doc arrives, I have first hand experience. This agent said, your dialog is not natural try this----

“What’ve we got?” I asked the head nurse. (ok the doc might say this but it is out of character for my doc)
“It’s bad, Doctor. A truck hit a van load of people. Some of them are critical,” the head nurse answered. (Oh my gosh. Talk about bad dialog.)(and that was the end of it the doc goes on to treat the pacient) (and then she went on to tell me that I needed more details so the reader understood what was going on after she gave me her solution to the “non- natural” dialog I used and cut out any tech info---and in the process any reality to the scene.) (And the head nurse? Good grief, she wouldn’t be a head nurse while offering info like that much less work a trauma unit)

I was told being a writer required that I be smart, dedicated, and to do my research so I understood the way a medical thriller would be told, and to use natural dialog the way people would really talk. Get a grip lady—lets compared emergency tech credentials and then go round about my research.

And low and behold it ends with----If you don’t have an editor in mind go with---blah blah blah, I have worked with them and find them to be blah blah (more speal). Then the clinch if you decide to use bal blah blah I would be interested in a second look.

Ya right honey. Shove your offer where the sun don’t shine. How’s that for natural dialog?

Watch for the scams out there folks----they run aplenty. Do a Google search using the agent's or editor's name. Hits galore, if they are bad or good you will know. And this one did come out of the Writers Market guide to agents.

Shawn (fed up with scam agents)

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

There are plenty of scams out there, but a little research before submissions should highlight the bad agents - there are places on the web that blacklist such folk.

I've placed a number of resources on my own site, but I figure netiquette here will frown on my posting the URL. In which case, e-mail me and I'll share what links and info I've already collected [it's an appreciable amount].

Brian

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
SFWA (Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America) has information on scams on their website:

http://www.sfwa.org

plus a lot of other good stuff, including sample contracts that are fair to writers, and so on.

If you discover a scam, they are very interested in knowing about it, too.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
already made copies of all mail exchanged with this preditor and sent them off to Victoria this morning.

and thank you Kathleen for sending me the name you did. I have not run across that one but it is on my avoid list.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.