Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Most interesting

Author Topic: Most interesting
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
There has been a lot of discussion about book length and what will sell, and what won't. I believe I commented once that as a first book, long works don't sell well, no matter how well written--(I mean to publishers here) et al ect on and on we have gone.

This morning while surfing through some web sites and doing research into some of the agents who have requested a partial of my manuscript I came across this on an agent’s site.

The agency is The Zach Agency. They are a big one. They rep Peter David among many others--so I think they know what they are talking about--here is what they had to say:

quote:
A first genre novel, e.g., science fiction or fantasy, over 120,000 words is highly unlikely to sell. They are simply too expensive to produce (i.e., for paper, printing and binding) for publishers to risk spending the money on. Also, since wholesalers tend to buy by rack pockets or shelf spots, they are unlikely to buy more copies than will fit in one pocket or shelf spot. Hence, if your book is 150,000 words and only three copies will fit, they will only order three copies. But if your book is 100,000 words and five copies will fit, they will order five copies. Believe it or not, publishers consider this stuff when deciding to buy your book.

A mystery of less than 70,000 words is likely too short. I seem to be getting a lot of 40,000- to 60,000- word projects and, frankly, they are too short to sell in today's marketplace where a paperback is $6.99

I had no idea on this one folks, but it makes the most sense of any reason I have found for that 70,000 to 90,000 range (as ideal)(for a first) I have seen so often recommended.

It is about the mighty buck, and it is about the marketing potential of your book. NO matter how well written, if the investment out weighs the probable income--no go. Isn't that the truth, no matter what you do in life?

Something to think about when murdering your darlings, or crafting your story.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.