Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Alien compasses

Author Topic: Alien compasses
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm going to get more information than I need or want, given what I've been reading on some of these threads, and this is probably a stupid question, but...

Would an ordinary compass work on any planet? Would there conceivably be a compass specific to a specific planet?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Falken224
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on what you mean by work

I'm sure every planet generates a magnetic field of some sort, but I'm not sure what the rules are about how that field is oriented. As you no doubt know, even Earth's magnetic field does not place magnetic north directly on the north pole. And science suggests that the Earth's magnetic field has reversed several times. not sure how long it takes tho.

So yes, if you used a compass on another planet, it would most likely work, but it also would most likely NOT point north, or south or any any terribly useful direction. Until, that is, you figured out where magnetic 'north' was on the planet. Once you figure that out, it would make navigation a bit easier.

Hope that helps a little.

-Nate

| Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Certainly, if the planet had a roughly north-south orientated magnetic field then a compass would work - though remember also that magnetic north on earth is actually the magnetic south [confused yet?].

But not every planet has the same orientation - Uranus rotates on its side, but its field direction is offset about 60 degrees [roughly - relying on memory here]. But not all plnaets have a magnetic field either - can't remember which one - possibly mercury. Try researching if you want proper answers

Highly recommend that anyone looking to write sci-fi reads up on our own solar system - there are plenty of books around aimed at different levels of understanding.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Actually, I thought my posted question was research. I don't need a thesis, just some helpful information.

The two replies confirmed my own thinking on the matter, and I'm guessing compasses could be made specifically for particular planets, especially if the planets had some metals not found on Earth. That's all I needed. Thanks, you two.

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Sorry, Kolona - didn't mean to sound patronising re:research. I just meant with regards which planet in our system has no magnetic field.

You wouldn't need to build different compasses for different planets where the field is aligned at least along similar orientation - for example, a compass for earth would work just as effectively for most planets in our solar system [though the tug from Jupiter may damage the needle!].

Perhaps a need for a different compass design would be where the field is specifically aligned at obtuse angles - such as 90 degrees from the plane of rotation. So one solution would probably be to have the usual needle hidden behind the display face, with a different needle, offset ot the correct angle [ie, 90 degrees here], on the facing display.

As for metals not found on earth - this is a definite danger area - unless you're going to start playing with the mechanics of nuclear physics, or else be happy to disregard them [which may lose you readers, unless you're aiming at juveniles].

If you're trying to keep to physical realism, then there's a hint that there are islands of stability at the end of the periodic table - atomic number 112 I think I remember being one such island [but stable meaning existing for approx 10x 10-8 seconds, or so].

Now, if you were to postulate the existence of a stable element with an atomic number around there, then what you could potentially have is a material that would be heavier than lead, but stronger than steel.

[I've been told that UFO lore has it that "the Greys" use element 115 as a fuel source].

In fact, thinking about it, if you really wanted an equivalent to Tolkien's Mithril [excluding its mass! - unless you mess with the density] then islands of stability at the end of the periodic table would be the ideal place to mix speculative fiction with fantasy realism in discovering new metallic elements with unqiue and useful properties.

Hmm...bit of a ramble.

[This message has been edited by Chronicles_of_Empire (edited June 27, 2002).]

JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea whether or not a compass would work on another planet, but I think toying with the idea that it doesn't would be lots of fun. You could have that be a major plot point in your story, actually. They were going in the wrong direction the whole time or stumble on to something else because they're following an eath made compass on this planet.

Damn, I'm definetly a writer, the orginal post and two replies and I had a hundred different ideas how that could kick ass.

JOHN!!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited June 27, 2002).]

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

quote:
Am I understanding correctly that only books with no GENERAL market appeal are considered "true" sci-fi--that anything that is not "a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma" {Churchill}is a poor relation?

quote:
As for metals not found on earth - this is a definite danger area - unless you're going to start playing with the mechanics of nuclear physics, or else be happy to disregard them [which may lose you readers, unless you're aiming at juveniles].

If you're trying to keep to physical realism

Isn't this the closing of the big tent I asked about? If science fiction is all about "keeping to physical realism," then it's hardly the stuff of imagination it can be. I had the impression that suspension of reality was the name of the game. Otherwise, only science experts need apply.

If anything less than that is "juvenile," then maybe that's what I called "general market appeal."

I know I'm not into dark and convoluted sci-fi and I am going to guess the general public isn't, either. If there are spaceships taking off and landing right next to houses, I will happily assume--and I don't need to know the scientific explanation, or even to know that it's really quite impossible--that the afterburn has somehow been tamed.

Earth to sci-fi purists: Many of us are not looking for "physical realism." Why isn't there room for all of us? Besides, insofar as we have not explored much of the universe, why wouldn't strange metals be possible? Why define the universe within our own narrow parameters?

How is that any different than believing in white dragons that fly "between?" Or in aliens of any sort?

I go back to my original thought: It seems to me sci-fi rules are written as a caste system.

GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
The science fiction thing really needs to be looked at as a spectrum. You’ve got your “This could happen next year and here are 5 papers in field appropriate peer reviewed journals to back me up” on one end with “Here’s some technology that works because I said it does” on the other.
A variety of things exist in between.

There is an audience for all of it.

I get the impression that you are more interested in the “It just works” end. I hedge more in that direction myself. I don’t object to reading “hard Sci-Fi” now and then out of variety, although I don’t think I’m too interested in writing that way. But things have to be grounded in some sort of consistent reality or there is chaos.

So here is one argument for looking at the compass situation from a physical realism perspective. You might have problems just doping up a planet with metal not found on Earth because there is a large body of the general public who is familiar with our planet and solar system, and certainly with how a compass works. Other rules of physical science are applying I assume. Where is the line drawn? You risk that they aren’t going to buy into the idea of it working differently because they know it isn’t true. Then you’ve lost your credibility, which may or may not kill the story for them.

It’s a bit different than dragons going “between.” There is no real-life parallel to that one. In that case people will believe whatever you define the rules to be because there is no other definition (more on this below).

But if you bend the rules just a little bit, the reader could bend along with you. Maybe a rare Earth metal or isotope is at an unusually high level on the planet. Maybe a scanner, not a compass, that works on something other than magnetism. The hint of reality is the hook to make they take the entire bait of the (and I’m just guessing here) more fantastic things that they are going to find on this planet.

Either that or you need to branch away from the known rules far enough so that it loses the real-life parallels, and so then all new rules can be applied.

All that said, really, if you’re going more for space-situated fantasy, go the full distance, hand-wave the technology, and run with what makes the story works. Because then you aren’t trying for something that will fit into our known reality. It’s something different. Give it it’s own rules, and then stick to them to make it its own version of reality.

That’s a place that weird metals can live quite happily.

It really all just depends on what sort of backdrop you are trying to use.

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited June 27, 2002).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Hi, GZ,

I like to think sci-fi is a spectrum, too. I've read and enjoyed Asimov, Dune, Farenheit 450 (am I remembering the title right?), Ringworld, three or four White Dragon books, and others. But I keep bumping into comments insinuating that if sci-fi isn't die-hard accurate scientifically speaking, it isn't true science fiction.

I can relate to John and his 100 ideas about the compass possibilities.

quote:
You might have problems just doping up a planet with metal not found on Earth because there is a large body of the general public who is familiar with our planet and solar system, and certainly with how a compass works.

I guess some erroneous assumptions have been made. I'm not planning to use odd compasses on planets in our solar system. I'm thinking strictly about planets that have been birthed in my own mind, planets that do have strange metals.

But if it's possible for an odd compass to work on different planets, even in our solar system, then even the fantasy becomes more believable. Hence, my question.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited June 27, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited June 27, 2002).]

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

Hmm...I'm in danger of offending unintentionally here. Remember, "faux pas" is my middle name...

Ultimately, all literature is about recreating reality - and sci-fi and fantasy genres specifically seek to extend the bounds beyond the norm.

The future is a mystery - without detailed precognition no writer can know what scientific advances or technologies may exist in the future. This is both the strength and weakness of sci-fi.

The strength is that it allows the imagination to be unbounded - but the weakness is that the reality created can be made irrelevant by continuing advances in human thought, and thus easily become "dated".

It is also for this reason that "realistic puritism" rests on its own shaky foundations with science fiction - precisely because those future constructs are unknown.

Using scientific thinking as a guide to the structure of the reality of a writer's making can provide excellent reference points, and help establish a sense of reality for a reader - in short, make the experience more believable.

But it is a device, nothing more, and one to be wielded carefully. Good storytelling is simply good storytelling, and will use many devices. Attempting realism is simply one option.

Ultimately, science-fantasy is bounded only by imagination. And there are no rules on that.

[This message has been edited by Chronicles_of_Empire (edited June 28, 2002).]

GZ
Member # 1374

quote:
But I keep bumping into comments insinuating that if sci-fi isn't die-hard accurate scientifically speaking, it isn't true science fiction.

Oh I know. I’ve heard it too. Some people are very adamant about that fact.

Silly sort of argument, don’t you think, where there are so many examples to the contrary? I’d say there is room for everybody, so then every reader can go home from the book store and revel in the science fiction that fits their needs best. But people live in the tents the size they want to make them.

GZ
Member # 1374

Oh, since you asked, you missed a degree. It’s Fahrenheit 451 Good book, though the concept made me sick when I read it.
Kolona
Member # 1438

All of this--and the only reason I needed a compass was to hit one of my characters in the head with it. It simply crossed my mind on one of my umteenth re-readings that maybe a regular compass wouldn't work on my planet (not to strike a head with, but to determine directions), so I might have to specify that it was a planet-specific model. (I didn't want the sci-fi purists to come after me.)

But this was fun.

quote:
Ultimately, science-fantasy is bounded only by imagination. And there are no rules on that.

That's where I live. Thanks, CofE.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited June 28, 2002).]

Kolona
Member # 1438

quote:
Fahrenheit 451 Good book, though the concept made me sick when I read it.

Didn't it, though? I read that when I was a teen and it really made an impression on me, as it should on any reader, I would think.

quote:
But people live in the tents the size they want to make them.

...or the shape, or the color, or location on the planet of their choice...

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited June 28, 2002).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
So all you really needed, Kolona, was a heavy enough blunt object, right?

Sailing ships might have had compasses that were heavy enough, but I think they tended to be bolted down.

So maybe some other kind of blunt object would serve better.

And if your heavy, blunt object were on a space ship (hence a planet other than earth), I find myself wondering why a space ship would have a compass anyway?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Actually, Kathleen, the compass striking a head happens on a shuttle whizzing along the surface of an unfamiliar planet.

The compass had been included in a purchase of survival gear prior to setting out, since the terrain between the departure and destination points is decidedly unfriendly. A subsequent crash landing dislodges the compass from its clip and it makes contact with said head.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Kolona, but aren't most compasses just little, hand-held things?

Whether one would work or not on an alien planet, I find it hard to believe that a hit in the head by a compass would do much damage.

But maybe I'm just being nit-picky.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
magnetic compasses would not work on all planets. Gyroscopic compasses would be much more universal, assuming the planet has an appreciable rate of rotation. Gyro compasses get more accurate as speed of rotation increases. Unless of course the axis of ration keeps shifting. I have no idea what could cause that.

You might envision a magnetic field produced externally . . . a compass on Jupiter's moon Europa, for example, might show you what direction you are facing relative to Jupiter, not Europa.

You might get something cool if you put a planet around a star with a stron magnetic field. "North" would move around, based on the time of year. Seasoned navigators would know how to account for this, but beginninr could be easily lost.

If your team is landing from a big mothership, why not use GPS? If the mothership deployed a few dozen small atellites your team would be able to carry hand-held navigational units. These would be good for pointing directions, showing locations, and bonking craniums.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Okay, now we're moving beyond Kolona's plan for her compass, into other ideas for alien compasses--which I think is great.

I like the idea of gps instead of the old style compass, Doc. My husband has one that is about the same size as a large tv remote, and I have heard that they are expected to be small enough eventually (if they aren't now) to fit on or with a wristwatch.

Kolona
Member # 1438

Hi, Kathleen, Doc,

(I raised my kids(17 years) in Garfield Hts., Doc. I miss Ohio.)

After Kathleen's post, I checked around & lit upon "Howstuffworks" among others (CofE would be so proud of me),& discovered the gyrocompasses, too--also a gyrosyn compass for aircraft that is a magnetic compass stabilized by a gyroscope.

I gather the gyrocompasses are electro--(electric, electronic, electromagnetic?)--which means they need a power source?? In which case they couldn't convert to hand-held--for too long a time at any rate??

Also read they have to be periodically verified against a magnetic compass, so it sounds like a shuttle would need both?? Gyrosyns sound like they have both to start. (I'm not sure where that gets me, since the survival gear would surely have hand-helds. I don't know where I'm going with this.)

Anyroad, I had envisioned a compass similar to the ones on the dashboard of cars, set in a bracket/clip and interchangable if planet-specific ones were needed. They weigh in at about 10 ounces, so I thought that would create a good enough bonk under the circumstances, & if squared at the base, could draw some blood, too.

It seemed to me that too much miniaturization might not be beneficial with a dash/console-mounted compass, so I figured I was safe there, unlike GPS--which I had considered.

Having a friend who has a GPS, I thought that miniaturization would be more compatible with it and its bonking capacity might then be a problem--although in a crash landing, wouldn't a lot of otherwise innocuous items develop sinister bonking capabilities?

However, I figured redudancy might be important to space travelers since, as in this case, the transport ship is also on the ground. (My understanding is GPS is strictly space/satellite-based.)

I do love that stron magnetic field. What a riot that could be.

chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

You’ve got your “This could happen next year and here are 5 papers in field appropriate peer reviewed journals to back me up” on one end with “Here’s some technology that works because I said it does” on the other.

It's interesting you put it that way...

...I steal most of my ideas from peer-reviewed journals!

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Hi Kolona. Ohio is particularly perfect right now, so I'll keep my answer very short and get back outside to watch the Porsches, Ferraris and Jaguars go by (that's how I spend nice days).

Theoretically, you don't need a huge gyroscope for a gyroscopic compass. Given a culture with nanotechnology, I could see a pretty accurate one running for a year on a AA battery. But (I believe) it would NOT work in space. I think gyrocompasses work by the rotation of the planet. If you change latitude you probably need to account for it, so if you want that to be automatic you probably need the GOS system anyway.

Magnetic compasses point to the planet's magnetic poles. Geographically, it is possible for these to change over time.

Edit: I live just a few miles from Garfield Heights. I was born there.

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited June 30, 2002).]

MrWhipple
Member # 1436

- posted      Profile for MrWhipple           Edit/Delete Post 
Doc

Gyros are exactly what they use in space. It is called an inetrial guidance system. If you spin up a few gyros they want to stay oriented the same way forever. You just have to nudge them once in a while to keep them going. Watch the movie Apollo 13 and see how concerned they were about turnning so fast that they tumbled the gyros.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

But GPS won't work if the main transport ship is on the ground, right? So I'm back where I started:
No matter what other systems a spaceship/space travelers have, a planet-specific compass is possible.

It may even be desirable on a strange planet so characters wouldn't have to do adjustment calculations as they would if reading a normal compass.

It may even be necessary if planet has strange metals, which is also possible.

So it could be the object that collides with my character's head and could conceivably cause loss of consciousness and draw some blood, depending on size, shape, and crash specifics, and I guess the term "freak accident" could enter in and cover a multitude of sins even for the purists among us.

'Course, I could just make up a whole new guidance tool/system and really take a chance. Naw.

Note: I don't think I ever saw a Porsche in GH. I did see a Thailand Fingernail Dancer, though.

Kolona
Member # 1438

Ah, Mr. Whipple, you got in there while I was typing my reply. That's quite interesting--"inetrial guidance system." I wonder what they look like.

So many rabbit trails here...so little time.

Kolona
Member # 1438

Ok. So it's "inertial guidance system" according to Google. We simply must watch the typos in this WRITER'S GROUP.
Kolona
Member # 1438

I'm sorry, three posts in a row--but if you want a real laugh, pick up "Inertial Guidance System for Dummies" @ http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/94q3/inertialguide.html
You'll get a real chuckle.

Kolona
Member # 1438

OK. It's four posts--five now. Stupid thing wouldn't let me edit.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Gyros can keep an orientation in space, as they do in inertial guidance, but they don't point to a fixed geographic location the way a magnetic compass does. Suppose you have an ordinary gyroscope lined up to point north-south-east-west. If you just wait six hours, you'll find that east and west have become up and down. If you move far enough in any direction, any direction could become up or down. If you move on some obtuse angle, your orientation will eventually be very strange!

That could lead to a humorous scene, if an inexperienced explorer consulted a gyroscope, only to discover that west had become straight up!

You don't need the mothership in orbit to have GPS. You only need it to deposit a bunch of tiny satellites before landing. I'd expect any mission that knows it's going to be finding its way on an alien planet to use equipment like that, if not more sophistocated.

Kolona
Member # 1438

quote:
You don't need the mothership in orbit to have GPS. You only need it to deposit a bunch of tiny satellites before landing. I'd expect any mission that knows it's going to be finding its way on an alien planet to use equipment like that, if not more sophistocated.

I know you mentioned the satellites before and that's an interesting idea.

Two possible problems:

1.) They didn't know they'd be trekking across the planet. And if they had been inclined to launch the satellites as a precaution, they still might not have because

2.) they were somewhat intent on avoiding being tracked, and I'd imagine leaving tiny satellites might constitute proof they had been there. Yes, they could have somehow collected the satellites when leaving but, again being cautious, might have anticipated the possiblility of leaving in a less orthodox manner than in the same ship in which they arrived--which is what happens.

However, would any satellite work for GPS? If the outposts on the planet already had one/some in orbit, would they be sufficient for anyone's use as regards GPS?

Boy, if spaceships are always leaving tiny satellites in orbit around planets--space littering--wouldn't that be a danger to other vessels?

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

List of possible alternate objects for landing on head in a spaceship:

- thermos flask
- first aid kit
- ship's cat
- ship's monkey
- fluffy dice
- cheeseburger
- alien egg
- alien
- penny jar
- weekly shopping
- Arthur C. Clarke
- leftover sausage roll
- matchsick model of Mount Rushmore
- laundary bag
- "Astronaut's Companion" blow-up doll
- Jell-O
- TV set
- GPS satellite
- plastic Godzilla
- instruction manual for flying spaceship

Kolona
Member # 1438

I'm starting to favor a wholly different object, too, CofE. What with gyroscopics, gyrosyns, GPSs, and inertial guidance systems, I was beginning to entertain thoughts of tiny satellites worm-holing their way into the shuttle and launching themselves at my character's head.

Maybe I'll chance publication without indicating how these intrepid space travelers oriented themselves--or is that orienteered? I think there may be something to be said here for assumptions. Let the disgruntled purists write me and complain.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited July 01, 2002).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.