Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Realism vs Fantasy

Author Topic: Realism vs Fantasy
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Personally, I'm one of those sticklers for realism, where possible. I find the distinct lack of even a basic attempt at realism in a lot of fantasy work to be disappointing.

Although I can quite accept there is a place for it, I never feel there's enough mature end work that seeks to bring an entire reality into existence, rather than a simple daydream.

You know what flaws I'm talking about - cities with no history, peoples with no culture, 21st century healthcare, anachronistic behaviours and technologies...etc.

So if this is a direction you'd like to take your own writing [and my expression of personal taste here is simply that], then here are my main Mediaeval Resources links [I hope some of them prove useful - I personally favour paper resources, but all sources can provide useful information]:

INTERNET MEDIAEVAL SOURCEBOOK:

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook.html

NETSERF.ORG [MASSIVE ONLINE LIBRARY]

http://www.netserf.org/

THE VIRTUAL LIBRARY - MEDIAEVAL:

http://www.msu.edu/%7Egeorgem1/history/medieval.htm

MANCHESTER MEDIAEVAL SOURCES:

http://www.medievalsources.co.uk/

And here's a beauty - just a few important mediaeval terms explained:

BRITTANIA LEXICON:

http://www.britannia.com/history/resource/gloss.html

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are some nice looking links. Didn’t look to deep just at the moment, but they look wonderfully full of content. Thanks for posting them.

I do have a comment here though…

quote:
You know what flaws I'm talking about - cities with no history, peoples with no culture, 21st century healthcare, anachronistic behaviours and technologies...etc.

I get what you’re saying here. I would agree that you need some sort of consistency of technology levels – sophisticated brain surgery and sword-based warfare probably in most cases should not go together.

Nothing wrong with historically accurate. Not saying that at all.

But if avoiding such thing requires historical accuracy, I’m not so sure about that.

In fantasy, if you have elements like magic, and depending how you choose to set it up, you might have a different state of technology development all together because of that different stimulus. Example – Magic diminishes the need to develop guns because if fills the same technology role, so more energy gets focused into health care, an area that this magic can’t influence. So some things might not be anachronistic in the newly developed setting.

Cities with no history and people with no culture is more a problem of sloppy world construction or execution of said world into the story than anything else.

So I guess what all this opinionated babble is trying to get at is sort of the following thought:

Does realism really require historical accuracy? (And by realism, I’m taking that to mean that the world used as the story setting feel real and fleshed out. That may or may not be the correct definition.)

I’d say no. At the same time, certainly having a healthy background of history, technology, and culture is going to given a lot of really sound examples of how to do it so it looks real and a good understanding of where you are tweaking around what is real, and all-out throwing a ringer into it.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread of very nice Medieval Links.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I'm speaking for Chronicles (who does a darn fine job himself!), but I wouldn't get bogged down on the "historical" aspect of realism. I think that all of us should strive for a realism born out of thorough world construction, which I believe was Chronicles main point... But by the same token, if we say that our Healer uses willow bark to treat headaches, we need to be sure that the real substance of willow bark could be used that way (hence, the historical accuracy). If we say that our longbow archers can shoot up to 400 yards accurately, then we should have done our homework to determine the appropriate range of a longbow archer (I had to research this baby myself for my novel!). Similarly, we can draw inspiration from history-- one of my main characters is loosely based off of Genghis Khan, so I had to research Khan's strategy and tactics to not only create realism but also to provide interesting knowledge tidbits (such as the importance of silk shirts in a confrontation with archers).

Even magic should be thought out... I like how Stephen King puts it: You have your ONE untrue thing (such as magic), and surround it with facts (realism). Your readers will accept the "make believe" of your world if you surround it with realism and accuracy.

Wow... That was a quarter's worth of words for a 2 cent thought!

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
As always, I recommend:

http://www.sfwa.org/writing/thud.htm

How many times have I out that link up? Six?

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
The phase that prompted all my first post was “anachronistic behaviors and technologies.” In my babbling I probably wasn’t very clear about that (Obviously if I was babbling, right? )

If you are going to use real elements, then by all means, get the facts and do them right! Otherwise you’re going to get people going “That’s all wrong,” and by association throwing out the rest of the things you said as improbable, resulting in your story getting chucked out of the window. I think this was discussed recently in the Alien Compass thread concerning physical reality. A good deal of the reason I put the “thank you” in the first post is that I’ll probably use those sites to snoop around for some more information on a couple of things I’ve been thinking about using lately.

I’ve read the Pohl article at www.sfwa.org before. The just of it was, use some common sense and reason, and where appropriate, do the needed research. People do not gallop horses all day in the dead of winter while wearing a fur loincloth and have horse and rider live to tell the tale. This is beautiful and highly practical advice.

Back to the “anachronistic behaviors and technologies” part…

I just think there is a case (depending on how they are set up) for fantasy situations having anachronistic behaviors and technologies in them and still being realistic. Such situations result from some fantasy element being introduced having such a profound effect on the society that it logically shifts its development in another direction, which may not be historically accurate in a real world sense. Such shifts in reality better be reasonable and logical, and their affect on the created reality well thought out such that the new world “works.”

Take Pern for example. (And yes I have heard that Anne McCafferty classifies these books staunchly as science fiction. It will still work for my point.) The basis is a pre-industrial society with transportation means limited to beast-of-burden type animals and walking. Such limited transportation should equal isolation and long times for news, etc. But that doesn’t take into effect the dragons. Because of their instantaneous means of transportation, you have a much more global sort of culture, with frequent world meetings and news traveling swiftly at least between major population centers that seem fairly modern concepts, than should be “historically” demanded by such a pre-industrial society. No, not everyone gets the full benefit, but it is there and shaping the culture.

So there may be things that would seem anachronistic given the initial foundation for the setting, but in the created reality would not be.

Hence, the realism does not equal historical accuracy (with its real world anachronistic issues) opinion.

That might just be taking the idea of anachronistic a bit too far and overly defining gray areas of definition. And reading more into the initial post that really need to be. Actually, reading over it again, that defiantly looks like what I did. Sorry for derailing your thread Chronicles with about a $1.50 dump when $0.02 probably was overkill.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Zoe
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for Zoe   Email Zoe         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, thank you! Those links will help me a LOT. The story I'm 'prewriting' now is in a mostly Mediaeval setting, with the technology taking a slightly different turn than it did in real life.

I find that most unrealistic fantasy novels were written by people who either a) thought all they needed to do was copy Tolkein's basic setting, or b) tried to be creative and got bored halfway through the world building process.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I encourage anyone in the process of prewriting or world building to complete the world building questions asked by Patricia C. Wrede. The list is VERY long and quite daunting; I admit to not having answered all, but what I did was extremely helpful. Time consuming yes, but immeasurably helpful.

You can find the information at:
http://www.sfwa.org/writing/worldbuilding1.htm

(Oh, and it should go without saying that the other articles found on this website are helpful too!)

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Darkwing
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for Darkwing   Email Darkwing         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I feel realism is very important - I hated First Knight for the anachronisms, quite aside from the horrid acting (what happened to Sean Connery?). Armor that looked like Versace's interpretation of the Conquistadores, pistol crossbows before the 20th century, a peasant mouthing off to nobility freely and w/o fear of scourging, and so on.
D&D has an Eastern style Monk in a world derived from medieval Europe, and complete quality of gender, despite the fact that it doesn't fit the model.
Aside from authors not bothering to research the technology, I'm more annoyed at modern attitudes in allegedly ancient peoples - I don't care for Knights giving speeches on democracy to Kings, or brigands explaining to shire-reeves the need for universal free health-care (well, time-travellers can get away with it as an in-joke, but the locals need to have historically reasonable world-views). Excessive egalitarianism or contempt for religious views we find (validly, IMO) contemptous today does not ring true in a world based on medieval history, which is why I read so little modern fantasy.
Feminism is one aspect that really turns me off - the psuedo-medieval world with an enlightened queen, and the women who get treated just like the men (when it's to their benefit), and still get treated like ladies (when that's to their benefit), with no explanation how this "equality" came to exist. The way women were treated in earlier times derived, in good part, from survival - men taking the risks, and feeling like they deserved special treatment thereby, the mothers (and hope for future generations) doing the scut work at the (hopefully safe) camp/cave. Today, we are getting past that, due to technology, but a Norman peasant's outlook would not even contain the possibility of such changes.
Greg Porter has asserted that the Romans had all the material technology required to build an Ingramus Mk X, in IX millimeter, they just didn't have the background ideas and theory to know it could be done in our history. This seems reasonable to me, so an alternate history in which it happened seems reasonable to me, and, in fact, I like the Procurator series of alternate history novels. In them, a Rome that didn't fall, due to Pilate's refusal to crucify the Carpenter, has, 2,000 years later, crude aircraft and ungainly tanks that make our real-world first tanks look like sleek, refined, and sophisticated war machines in comparison. I've also seen 'Rome never fell' stories that have the "Romans" colonising Mars and Venus around 1066, and acting just like Americans, except for their names and togas. Doesn't fit. Rome was very conservative, ideologically, and her advances mostly came from harnessing the ideas of others, rather than inventing things herself.
A little thought and research can go a long way to making a milieu that doesn't violate suspension of disbelief, but too many authors can't be bothered today, which is a sad commentary on modern education and rigor of thought.
Darkwing

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The conservatism of Rome was mostly ideological and philosophic (or anti-philosophic), not really that much different from modern Americans (you all think yourselves much more enlightened than you really are, I've noticed).

They were also deeply theocratic, in the sense of having a state religion that had an enormous amount of importance in politics. While they did have sufficient technological skills with metalworking, chemistry, and mass production to manufacture fairly modern arms...basically anything short of solid state semiconductor components or advanced materials like carbon composites (and I would tend to thing that they could even make some of the rare earth ceramics if somebody told them how) would be within their manufacturing capability if they had directions on how to make them. But that was true of the ancient Chinese over three thousand years ago, too. Heck, we now have the manufacturing capability to create genetically engineered telepathic, intelligent, motile plants that can survive in deep space and travel near the speed of light carrying humans in complete comfort to other worlds where they will obey their every whim and create a personalized paradise for each individual, as well as producing a nectar that will activate the telomerase reaction while suppresing mutations in somatic tissue, thus allowing humans to live forever.

We have the manufacturing ability, not the technical knowledge to actually design such a creature.

I would, however, have to say that if Rome found a way to overcome the degeneracy that led to its downfall, it would certainly have had to involve a radical shift in cultural attitudes. Constantine's conversion to Christianity allowed the Eastern Roman Empire to florish for another thousand years, for instance.

This all brings up an interesting point. If we manage to destroy ourselves somehow or other, how long will it take future generations to believe that our world was anything more than a mythical "golden age of miracles" such as is so common in prehistories? We are discovering that the Classical Greeks were actually far more advanced than was even suspected, having invented the steam turbine, the chronometer, and any number of fabrication techniques that we still haven't duplicated.

So don't trust everything Poul Anderson says. 'Tis actually not all that difficult to cut off an enemy's head in one blow

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Survivor. America was founded by a bunch of Christian Puritans. A century after declairing independence from England, America was a materialistic haven for technology. Rome could have gone through similar phases.

FWIW it seems plausible to suppose that America is currently swinging back to Christian Puritanism, and that the 21st century's nexus of technology will be in Asia. Some trends in our American and Asian education systems point to it. Could make for interesting stories, yes?

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Actually, one of the subsidiary goals of the "Christian Right" is to reverse the decline in (hard) science and technology education that has been occurring over the last several decades. Curiously, it was the Euro-Christian culture that first really embraced technological and scientific advancements as being improvements in society, most other cultures (including that of China) really only tolerated new technologies at best. Or maybe giving novelty and liberalism positive cultural value is so dangerous that most other cultures that attempted to embrace fundamental change as a cultural value went self-destruct...that seems likely, in fact.

China will be a nexus of technology in the upcoming decades, but underlying that will be a deeply entrenched conservatism of certain Chinese values, like the centrality of China as a nation. One thing that is critical to understand is that to the Chinese, "advancements" in the sciences and technology are really just a return to the historical superiority of China in these respects (it is a fundamental element of Chinese culture to regard itself as superior in all cultural respects, actually). Without some external influence to push them along, they are likely to be quite conservative from a scientific point of view.

In fact, there is a significant danger that a resurgent Chinese Empire will decide to wipe out European culture altogether...the Europeans managed to inspire much more hatred in a far shorter time than the Mongols managed with their invasion, and look where the Mongols are today! Not that this was all because of China...exactly.

Anyway, it is just as likely that there will be a massive, full scale civil war in China before they can establish stability. On the other hand, the current government may start a war with an external enemy to prevent this. The Chinese are good at war.

Of course, that's a pretty standard scenario.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

I don't intend to conduct a political discussion here, Survivor, but I see different trends that lead to equally plausible scenarios. America's current Christian Right opposes many very important fields of hard sciences, such as teaching evolution, conducting genetic engineering, experimental cloning, etc. At the same time America's public school system is becoming a world-wide joke (though the fault here lies on both sides of political extremists). Current American politics shows a clear trend of anti-science and anti-technology.

OTOH Asian nations, Japan and India more than China, are doing a wonderful job in educating their children in science and mathematics.

Reasonable Prediction #1: Within 50 years a software company will bring Microsoft to its knees. That company will be Asian.

Reasonable Prediction #2: Within 50 years the cost of healthcare will drop due to falling drug prices. The reason will be that American pharmeceutical manufaturers will be bankrupt, and all the new medical discoveries will take place in Asia.

I post this here because both predictions could lead to interesting stories.

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Doc, but evolution does not qualify as a "hard science."

Besides cosmic expansion discoveries being ascribed to "some ethereal agency" {God, maybe?}in Physics Today no less, and Einstein Gulfs and myriad other problems, the probability of all the necessary proteins and peptides and whatnot coming together to create life is less likely than someone winning every lottery worldwide and getting struck by lightning each time.

I know this debate is somewhere on another thread so I don't want to belabor the point here, but as someone said, "When a frog instantly turns into a prince, it's considered a fairy tale. When a frog turns into a prince over 400,000 years, it's called science." Go figure.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Actually, the Chinese Government is already the world's largest developer of Linex software (albeit only in Chinese language programs for the time being). As Linex becomes the de facto standard for governments world-wide (free, reliable, open source, complete API Documentation and customization...gee why would anyone want that?) it will be Chinese developers designing most of the world's "off the shelf" software used by most governments.

I don't anticipate that this will bring Microsoft "to its knees", anymore than the recent anti-trust suit did, but it will make them considerably less important to the future of software (and despite Microsoft's various attempts to dink about with hardware, I doubt that they will become a major player in that arena). But I'd say that this will happen in much less than 50 years, more like 20 years.

I would tend to argue that the only way the cost of healthcare will fall is if people stop trying to live forever by overusing every single medical advance made...which is going to happen sooner or later. Once the demand for healthcare drops, the price will follow suit. This will happen just as soon as a significant number of Americans stop using "conventional" medicine entirely, and not before. I can't give a time-line, though. But I doubt that Asia will take up the slack in researching new drugs, particularly if doing so is not very renumerative...intergenerational ties are too strong in Asian cultures to permit the very old to selfishly gobble up resources that could better be used to improve the lot fo the younger generations (just think for a moment...when's the last time you heard of a western story in which the old person was depicted as a monster for demanding expensive medical care?).

The only way that medical costs will fall short of people learning to accept that everyone dies sooner or later would be if one of the various biotech companies now working on immortality drugs makes a breakthrough. I personally am betting against it, not because immortality drugs are impossible, but because there isn't enough time left ("hah," you ask, "what does that mean?").

Kolona is right that "evolution" is not a hard science. But Biomolecular chemistry is. However, human macro-genetic engineering is too far off to matter, and the Christian Right actually favors genetic engineering for food sources and drugs. The Christian Right is also comparatively tolerant of animal and plant cloning (I mean compared to the eco-lefties ). So as far as the next several decades of the field are concerned, the Christian Right is no bar to progress, whereas the liberal left is.

You might be interested to know that in this country, also, Christian Right homeschoolers are matching asia in hard science and math education...which means that in a few decades, a disproportionate number of our native science and technology workforce will be Christian Right types...now there's an interesting premise for a SF story

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Please, Kolona and Survivor, let's not engage in a political debate here. I see no reason for you to attack either hard science or the political left when we are merely speculating possible sources for good plotlines.

The following is submitted in the spirit of intellectual stimulation:

I live in Ohio, clearly the most backward of the 50 States. We might actually have the arrogance to start teaching "Intelligent Design Theory" as science. It's arrogant because it supposes that humans are capable of recognizing Intelligent Design when we see it.

It is possible to recognize intelligent design only if we can understand the purpose of the design (e.g. the purpose of a roof is to shelter from weather). The arrogance is in supposing that we can assume intelligence went into designing a complex system whose purpose we do not and cannot objectively understand.

This could lead to many very good science fiction stories that go both ways.

Imagine a human explorer who discovers something more complex than the entire human race and announces that it is proof of God. How would human society react?

Imagine an alien explorer landing on Earth long after the human race is extinct. The explorer can figure out the purpose of a house, a car, a Playstation, even a Furbie. But when he/she tries to understand a condom (or an electric chair, depending on your political bent) the alien goes insane.

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Please, Kolona and Survivor, let's not engage in a political debate here. I see no reason for you to attack either hard science or the political left

I re-read my posting and stand firm in that it was neither political nor an attack. I was discussing what is or is not hard science.

Labeling a difference of opinion as an attack is somewhat disingenuous, and seems only an attempt to intimidate or embarrass someone into silence.

The fact is, the evolution emperor is not fully clothed, my friend.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited July 12, 2002).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

One thing that I have to wonder about is whether any discussion of what is or is not a realistic portrayal of social evolution can avoid being at least partly a political debate.

This particular discussion is a good example. Doc seems to think that a Christian value system (historically the only value system that lead to the modern age) will inevitably retard technological progress. I think just the opposite, that the underlying values of Christianity (individual moral freedom and so forth particularly) are still the best values for rational development of useful technologies. Which of us is right? Only time will tell (though there isn't enough of it left to get an experimental answer, darn it!).

Anyway, there are plenty of cases of "a human explorer who discovers something more complex than the entire human race." So far this has failed to have far reaching consequences for "human society" as a whole. And I have to wonder why an alien capable of understanding the purpose of a Playstation (or a Furbie, even ) would have conceptual difficulty with a condom (or an electric chair). I must be missing something.

By the way, Microsoft is now trying to convince the Chinese to use Windows instead of Linux Excuse my laughter, but what makes them think that the Chinese would then actually pay for the software?

Which brings us back to realism, in a way. Microsoft's efforts to persuade the Chinese to use Windows is based on a grand delusion of epic proportions. They must actually think that if they convince the Chinese that Windows is actually superior to Linux, then the Chinese will (for reasons unknown) refrain from simply making billions of illegal copies of the software. Heck, the Chinese already do that, and they don't even use the software themselves.

By the way, bringing up politics again, I think that patent law should be re-written so that if anyone can demonstrate that a patented device occurs in nature, then the patent automatically expires. Partly this is because I'm tired of being in violation of dozens of patents by virtue of the molecular structures in my cells (which I happen to require for the continuation of life, you jackals). Partly I think this because it just makes no sense for our government to allow people to patent naturally occuring phenomena. It's really kind of sick.

Patenting a genetically engineered animal is okay, I guess, as long as it is really different from the animal that occurs naturally. But that's not the kind of thing that most of these patent applications cover.

Okay, that doesn't have much to do with the topic except to point out that weird laws are not "unrealistic" when you're talking about human civilization. But of course you have to have realistic consequences for the law. For instance, when the Emperor of China outlawed knives, do you really think that all those people went without knives?

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

quote:
Doc seems to think that a Christian value system (historically the only value system that lead to the modern age) will inevitably retard technological progress.

If this is what you think I said, then I've gotta sharpen my communication skills.

How about this statement:

ALL conservative sets of values always inevatably retard progress, be it technological or sociological or both.

Christianity is not a special case, conservative Muslims or Budhists or (fill in the blank) do the same thing. We're probably most familiar with Christians conservatives having their dark moments of desperately trying to stifle human technological progress because they had built their beliefs with incomplete knowledge. Once they insisted that the world must be flat. Then they insisted that humans did not evolve from apes. Now they are insisting that human beings have "free will" and "personal responsibility" (whatever that means).

(If that doesn't get this thread closed then nothiing will!)

quote:
Which of us is right? Only time will tell (though there isn't enough of it left to get an experimental answer, darn it!).

I can tell you the answer immediately: neither of us is right.

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited December 06, 2002).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Sh---eeu-, mahn! If you want this topic locked down you gotta try harder than that!

I would argue that certain types of conservatism are necessary for civilization to continue. For instance, if we become too "liberal" in education, then our children will not be able to understand or invent new technologies. If we become too "advanced" in certain kinds of technology (macrogenetic engineering, computer intelligence, industrial production, etc) then society may gain the power to enforce total uniformity or quash freedom (improvments in technology were critical to the totalitarianism of both Germany and the Soviet Union--and if there hadn't be "free" nations competing against them, they might have lasted forever).

You have to remember that "All conservative sets of values" conserve something. The best ones conserve something valuable to real progress (remember, not all change is "progress", change can easily be regressive--like our growing worship of Ashtoreth and Molech).

"Liberalism" can destroy progress as easily as allow it, "conservatism" can protect progress as easily as prevent it. The failure to understand this is at the heart of most "unrealistic" societies. Every society in history in which "liberalism" has completely won out over "conservatism" has self-destructed in the end. The flower of Greek democracy in Athens lasted only a century before the mob destroyed it (with a little help from the outside).

If you want civilization to survive, then you need to conserve some things. And if society doesn't survive, then how can it advance?

Of course, just because something doesn't need to be conserved to retain civilization, doesn't mean that it shouldn't be conserved. We don't actually need individual liberties. But I'd like to keep them.

By the way, changing directions again, I think that the only plausible method of protecting "soft" targets (meaning civilian populations or installations under civilian control) against terrorism is to let citizens carry weapons. An armed populace was (and still is) a critial element in the defensive strategies of many successful civilizations.

Of course Doc's assertion that between the idea that the Christian value system will retard technological progress and my assertion that it is the best value system for rational development of technology are not polar opposites. Logically, both could be true (in other words, if even the best value system for promoting rational development of technology also retards some technological progress) or both could be false (if the Christain value system doesn't retard technological progress, but is still not the best system of values to rationally advance technology).

As it so happens, Doc's assertion that both statements are false is just silly, hence his wink. My initial contention that the positions were "just the opposite" of each other is also incorrect, except that the two views are in fact, opposed to each other in the world in which we actually live (meaning that it is true in a literal rather than abstract sense).

In fact, both positions, as stated succinctly are true. A rational development of technology must retard some technologies so that all technological advance can continue. The best system for advancing society must conserve certain elements of the society it seeks to advance. But now I'm simply repeating myself...again

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

You're right, Survivor, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. Taking technical progress in isolation, anything that does not allow infinite progress in zero time is "retarding" the progress.

I think it's safe to say that the human race could have survived if the technical progress of the last 200 years had been a little faster. But it couldn't survive extremely fast technical progress. Imagine if Napoleon had suddenly gotten computers, supersonic jets, atomic bombs, and cloning. The human race would probably be extinct by now.

Conservatism does retard technical progress somewhat. If only we knew the optimum speed of technical progress, we'd have a good idea of the optimum conservatism that we should practice.

Survivor
Member # 213

Hey! Don't be so hard on the leettle guy

The optimal speed of technological (and fiscal, etc. etc.) progress is instantaneous--as long as I'm the one benefiting. If someone else is benefiting, then the optimal speed is determined by how much I like them.

Hey, so simplistic it sounds stupid, but that is the heart of all arguments over how fast we should allow technology to progress. If we suspect that someone will use wealth and technology to hurt us, then we would rather they not have them.

Which means that allowable progress in technology and wealth is determined by the degree of conformity in morals and values

Fahrion Kryptov
Member # 1544

- posted      Profile for Fahrion Kryptov   Email Fahrion Kryptov         Edit/Delete Post 
Liberality is essential for the progressiveness of a successful society, but there must also be some conservity as something to lay back upon if some enterprise goes awry. Religion plays little into this effect in the wealthier and higher countries/regions/etc.-however, in some third world-countries the leading retardant of progress is failure to reform, instead maintaining their
a) stolid beliefs and refusing to indulge in such modern conveniences, or
b) unreasonable hatred and animosity, which leaves little room for change.

Change is necessary, but all too often it is believed that liberality is the only thing from which change spawns, but conservity inevitably creates a slow, but steady, change upon those around, for nothing can be truly static when surrounded by change.

I've just signed up for this workshop, so I've never replied to these topics...I just found this topic interesting, for it is what I've been working on...

Posts: 101 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
welcome Fahrion!

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Hey, I read an interesting article by some guy a while back...let me see-

I can't find it. Okay, short form, there was a guy that, a while back, postulated seven or eight socialogical factors that corresponded to "failure" in societies that displayed them.

One of the factors were:
1. Opression of women
2. A dogmatic belief system
and I just can't remember what the rest were (I feel like I've had an overload ).

So what I'm asking is if anyone remembers this (it wasn't all that long ago) and knows where to find it. If not, then I really do understand.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.