Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » History references

Author Topic: History references
Mr.Xcitement
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for Mr.Xcitement   Email Mr.Xcitement         Edit/Delete Post 
I am studying up some of my own familial history. they were an order of knights in spain at the beginning of the 13th Century during the crusades. I was wondering if any of you had some good resources for the weapons, tactics, armor, ect... of that time for spain, or later times.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, in any local library you'll find a lot more cool stuff than you will from us...even on Google.com you'll find more than we could ever give you by typing in Crusades Knights Medieval and so forth.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Xcitement
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for Mr.Xcitement   Email Mr.Xcitement         Edit/Delete Post 
well i meant do you guys know what books or sites that are good
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

I placed a number of mediaeval links in the "Realism vs Fantasy" thread.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You will probably know best what in particular you are looking for. There are many Middle Ages enthusiasts out there, though. You should shop around, rather than depending on just a few sources.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrWhipple
Member # 1436

- posted      Profile for MrWhipple           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that if you really want to get immersed into the medieval world you should consider hanging out with some folks from the Society for Creative Anachronism. You can check them out at www.sca.org. They have organized elements all around the world and don't eat newcomers until they get to know you better.

My whole family are members and we go to an event about once a month. There are more events we could attend, even weekly ones. Most of the big events are weekend ones and involve camping. Everyone dresses up in period garb and there are tournaments where guys (and gals) beat the stuffing out of each other, in full armor, for the right to rule. There are merchants who will sell you garb, weapons, jewelry, etc.

Many of the members are true experts in weapons and tactics of the era and would be happy to explain it until you are bored to tears. They even have workshops on all sorts of subjects like food prep, brewing, spinning and weaving, calligraphy, money making, armor making, (I can even make a bit of chain mail myself ) and many more.

You might have to pay a small site fee for the camping events or a materials fee at a workshop but on the most part it is run totally on a non profit basis. And besides that it is a blast.

If you don't have an outfit, they will usually lend you one for the day. The idea is to get immersed into life in the middle ages the way it should have been.

[This message has been edited by MrWhipple (edited July 11, 2002).]

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
esp. if you tell them you are a writer. We went to some of the big events in Germany--wow they were a blast and held on the grounds of old castles. Haven't been to one since we got back to the states . Though we were regulars before we went to Germany.

No better place to learn. Live the experiance.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.