Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Shark-like?

Author Topic: Shark-like?
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

I've been wracking my brains over this...

How would folks here, in a single sentence, refer to the shape of something as shark-like?

I checked in the dictionary under shark and came up with a biological class named "cucullia", so I thought to construct the word "cucullian". But I've just found I accidently took that from shark-moths. Obviously not the stream-lined shape I wish to convey.

I've checked now the scientific classifications for sharks - the sub-order is Elasmobranchii, and the sharks are in the squalomorphii division.

But somehow "squalomorphic" doesn't really conjure up the sleek image, does it?

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you looking for mere shape description or are you using "shark-like" to convey an ominous/dangerous aspect as well?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

I was looking for something for the shape. Also considered cacharadonian. But I figured today on leaving the emphasis and allowing the reader to shape it more themselves with just basic info.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Mako-esque.
Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyrael
Member # 1456

- posted      Profile for Tyrael           Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have to be related to sharks? If not, you could maybe use hydrargyrum or hydrargyran (Maybe take out a few "r"s)

-Tyrael

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Um… as unique and intriguing as words like “squalomorphic” and even the now rejected “cucullian” sound, if I saw them in a sentence of fiction, I wouldn’t get shark-like out of it. A shark fanatic might or someone with a fluent understanding of biological classification terms, but to this un-shark educated person, “squalomorphic” only gives me impression that it is something that changes somehow (the “morphic” part). If there are sharks in this world you’re using, would it not just be a lot clearer to say something along the lines of “it had sleek, powerful lines (or angular proportions, or whatever most shark-like quality of it you are trying to convey) reminiscent of a shark” or something more to that effect. That's still keeping it to a one sentence description.
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Anaquam
Member # 1153

- posted      Profile for Anaquam           Edit/Delete Post 

I have to agree with GZ- I wouldn't know what in the world you were talking about.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the sleek powerful lines... perhaps sharply angular... You really can go a lot of different ways with it. Why a shark, btw? For instance, perhaps a snake might work; ie, I could see how you could say that (hypothetically) "it reminded him of a snake blown to gargantuan proportions, with sleek powerful lines that emphasized its..." See where I'm going?
Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

Thanks for the comments, folks. Funny how trying to describe even simple seeming irregular shapes can be so challenging. Think I'm on top of it now, anyhow.

[This message has been edited by Chronicles_of_Empire (edited July 13, 2002).]

DragynGide
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for DragynGide   Email DragynGide         Edit/Delete Post 
..."shaped like a streamlined torpedo"...

Err, uh... at least I tried?

Shasta

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
"Manta-ray-like" ???
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Since it's what you want to say, how about "shark-like?"

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited July 14, 2002).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, the only problem I can think of for you just saying "shark-like" is if your point of view character doesn't know what a shark is. If said character does know, why try to use anything else? (Would this pov character tend to use multisyllabic words? The most important thing about description is to do it the way the point of view would do it.)

If your character doesn't know sharks (from another planet, from the future, whatever), then you have to come up with a description that fits what the pov would know.

"It was long and sleek, like a needlefish."

"It glided along like a flexibullet, only slower."

<shrug>

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Falken224
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Gotto go with Kolona on this. 'Shark-like' says it all. And if, as KDW suggests, you can't USE the work shark but you still want to get across the 'sharkiness' of what you're looking at, just remember a shark's most prominent feature . . . its fin. (And the funny Jaws music, but I don't think a musical score would really work in a book.)

-Nate

| Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.