Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » why does one become evil (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: why does one become evil
pam
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The old saying is:
power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

So, if you have a protagonist that is powerful, evil, wants more power - what are some scenarios that would bring him/her to such a point? I'm not asking for plot scenarios but rather emotional.

[This message has been edited by pam (edited July 31, 2002).]

| Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

If I'm reading you right, then emotional insecurity is a particular trait. The search for power becomes a translocated attempt tp control events around the self. Aggression as a symptom of fear used to preserve a bastion of attempted controls.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
pam
unregistered

Here's my problem: Several evaluators of the manuscript want to know why the protagonist is cold and evil. Take Saddam Hussan, if you were writing a book about someone that is resisting his regime, how would you describe 'why' he is so evil (without distracting from your plot)?
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
I think from the get go, it would be very difficult reading a manuscript in which the protagonist is cold and evil. I would never be able to identify or empathize with a protagonist that felt like a villain. I think the villains are cool, but I NEVER cheer for them.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, a protagonist has to be sympathetic, particularly as the POV character. Your readers need to feel good about sharing this person's thoughts and emotions, otherwise they won't continue reading.

The POV character has to be similar enough to the intended audience for them to understand the thought processes and emotional reactions depicted, at a bare minimum. If you have a POV character that is just coldly evil for no reason, then you either have to rely on your audience being willing to admit that they are coldly evil themselves for no reason, or you will not have an audience.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing wrong with an evil protagonist. A number of authors have used them and done well with it. OSC makes mention of quiet a few with tones of awe and respect in How To Write SF&F.

Everyone has a dark side, so why wouldn't they connect with someone who explores it rather than burying it?

Pam, a few ideas. First, your CEO (Cold and Evil One) might not think he's evil. The CEOs of this world often believe they are the good guys. Hitler thought he had Christ behind him. Bin Laden thinks he has Allah behind him. So he may be a good guy in his eyes, and evil only in other people's eyes.

Fear is always a good one. Being very powerful, I imagine it would be easy to be paranoid, thinking everyone wanted to assasinate you and take your power. So he uses a heavier hand in dealing with naughty bears, so people will fear him enough that they wouldn't think of challenging him.

Anger. Maybe he's suffered deep loss, and he's lashing out at the world that hates him enough to take X away from him. With so much power, he can lash out a tad more than most people, and inflict the most damage.

Addiction. Perhaps he did a bad thing, or he's angry as above (such anger would fade). But the use of such power was such a heady experience that he has to do it again. Or, he fears that people would want to unseat him after using such power (which leads into fear).

I'm just throwing out whatever comes into my head. Hope its helped in creating your CEO.

JK

[This message has been edited by JK (edited July 28, 2002).]

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
pam
unregistered

If you are feeling heat, it is from the burning in my face... So much for trying to sound like I know what I am talking about. I apparently was not talking about my portages but my villain (I am sure that there is a technical term, but I am not doing so well with technical terms...) Your comments are very helpful and insightful. However, evil is not what I am exploring. But apparently it is important to explain the why and how the villian became so. How to do so without changing the focus of the story?
Survivor
Member # 213

Antagonist is the word you're looking for. If the villian is not the POV character, then there is no need to go into why the *&%$er is evil.

There may, however, be some need to go into how the villian gets away with being evil. For instance, Hitler (by the way, not a big fan of Christ or Christians, Hitler was heavily into paganism and planned to eradicate Christianity, albeit more slowly than he intended to exterminate Judaism) was a psychopathic monster, but he couldn't have held power in Germany if it hadn't been for the monsterously unfair peace settlement of WWI (Fairsye my eye!--that's a pun on Versailles ). If you just are portraying a psychotic monster being in power, then your audience might demand (and rightly so) to know why he is allowed to remain in power. Hitler gave voice to the sense of injury and insult of the entire German nation at the unfair (and it was unfair) treaties they had signed to end the first world war. And in return they made him Fuehrer.

Or Bin Laudin (et all) or Arafat, who equally feed their followers on a diet of hate and imagined slights and wrongs (well, largely imagined). These are good models for villians. In Arafat you can see how it isn't a matter of misplaced idealism or paranoia (though the truth is that if he ever loses control, he's in for it). With him everything is about staying in power the way he knows how, no matter what the cost in innocent blood. So he uses propaganda so blatent that even his most ignorant followers know that he lies through his teeth, backed by terrorism so brutal that even his friends know that he'll have them killed the moment they cross him.

As for exploring "why does one become evil?", I just say, "Hey, some people are evil." Some people love power. If you get them drunk (whether on alcohol or demagogery) and show them a potential victim, they'll act without any restraint to assert their power. Why do people beat the hell out of innocent people during riots? Because they can. Give people the opportunity, and at least half of them will choose evil so vile it makes you want to retch (if the people in question are humans, then it'll be more like two thirds). Now I'm getting all "anti-human" so I'll just stop there for now.

SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
I like there to be a why... Certainly the whys can't justify the actions (or else he'd be the hero and not the villain), but they're understandable. I'm a Xena nut, so forgive me for pulling an example from there: Callisto, a really NASTY in the most vile sense of the word villain, is amazing to watch-- she's wicked, evil, cunning, and the perfect foil for our hero. But she's also very human... She's the "monster" she is because Xena slaughtered her family when she was young; she dedicated her life to vengeance, and she became the very thing she wanted to destroy. You have empathy for the little girl who watched her family be killed, while still hating the villain who can so casually kill anything who steps across her path. It's fun to watch... I suppose you could make the same general argument for Darth Vader; there was a lot of pain and anger behind the villain; the teenager who saw his mother die in his arms (oops! spoiler!) eventually became a really good bad guy.

My long winded point is that those kind of angst driven villains are exceptional-- unfortunately, a lot of writers fail to give their villians that kind of depth. BUT you can humanize your villain without taking away the evil.

Hope that helps!

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
DragynGide
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for DragynGide   Email DragynGide         Edit/Delete Post 
A character actor famous for playing the bad guy said this: "I don't play villains, I play people."

Alot can be learned from this.

Shasta

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorditio
Member # 1451

- posted      Profile for Gorditio   Email Gorditio         Edit/Delete Post 
You want a truly evil villian? Pure malice and hatred? Most of the TRULY evil people came from nothing. Well, something, but nothing really external. Of course there are the 'victim villians' that go crazy after a traumatic event, but c'mon, they don't stand a chance against the self induced crazies.
Who was worse, Palpatine or Vader? Especially after we learned why Vader was evil, Palpatine had him unquestionably topped. Why now? Because we can sympathize with Vader (his mother died), but Palpatine is nuts just for the sake of being nuts (simplified ), we can't understand him, or rationalize, or justify his actions - he's the unknown, and nothing scares us more.
Don't give your ultra-villian any room for sympathy, after all, when people are feeling bad for him they're not running through their minds in terror from the unspeakable evil your character exudes. People want to know why your protagonist is doing what he does, and that's great. They should, and they probably will if you write him in correctly. The antagonist on the other hand is far below the protagonist in terms of 'screen time' (for lack of a better word...). The words you have for him are limited, so spend your time SHOWING us how (s)he is evil, make us hate him (or her). Describe the cold demeanor as the antagonist orders the destruction of a city, or the execution of a child, not delving into their past to figure out why they came to this point.
Robert Jordan's 'Wheel of Time' series is a perfect example. The Dark One (I forget his name) is unquestionably the most important character in the series (as is the antagonist in most series). Every action of our hero is a reaction to those of the Dark One. Without our villian the series does not exist. But Jordan gives the Dark One very little 'wordage' ( ). A few sentences here and there in his monstrous tomes, but when he does speak it is with pure evil, and those to whom he has spoken quake with terror. We know nothing of the villian himself, really, but we know that he makes very powerful people very afraid. THAT is where you can show his vileness. Descibe the response he elicits from the characters, how he draws Kings and Queens to their knees in subservient terror.

I honestly don't have a closing for this, so I'm just going to end it. Good luck

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

Bah! I disagree! (For those who don't care, clock out now.)
If the villain is not the POV character, that doesn't excuse a lack of background. Bad guys don't spring from the ether. Just because he won't need to explain his background as much as the POV character, doesn't mean the reader should be ignorant of it, or (worse) that the writer should be ignorant of it! (BTW, Hitler did indeed believe that he had Christ on his side, although he was not a Christian in the 'proper' sense in that he planned to eradicate the faith in order to strengthen the people.)
Gordito, I disagree with you the most. No-one is evil, pure and simple, end of story. There's always a reason. A character that is inherently evil with no reason is distinctly 2D, something to be avoided. And I don't think you'll find Palpatine is 'nuts for the sake of being nuts'. Look carefully, you'll find all he wants is order. He believes order comes from a totalitarian government. There is his subjective evil, the rhyme and the reason.
To return to the actual point of the thread; pam, I think it's a case of dropping hints. If your CEO isn't and will never be a POV character (i.e. we won't be looking at things through his eyes and we won't be looking inside his head), he (or she, of course) might say or do things that hint at the why and the how. You don't need exhaustive detail, you may only need a rough guide for the reader.
JK

JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, some of those replies were long! I have to admit I didn't read all of them, so bear with me if I repeat someone's sentiment.

No one is evil just to be evil---I mean, no one precieves themselves as a bad person and does this things because they like it so much. Think Mum-Ra in Thundercats. This was a childern's cartoon on the 80's so it wasn't exactly educational, but the guy had no motivation. I don't know if the words ever came out of his mouth, but I could see him saying shit like "It feels so good to be so bad." I really don't think anyone thinks this way. Everyone thinks they're doing the right thing or they've been forced to do the wrong thing.

That's my advice---

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I made a hierarchy of antagonists once. It had the comic-book bad guys ("little does the hero know, but I am the evil so-and-so who loves to do nasty things for the heck of it, nya-ha-ha") at the bottom and characters who were working to achieve goals as worthy as those of the protagonist, but who came into conflict with the protagonist anyway (the stuff of certain tragic hero stories).

In between, I had those who were simply insane and did evil for no reason at all, those who didn't believe there was really such a thing as good and did evil to get even or to distract themselves from their own pain, those who actually got some kind of buzz/thrill/high out of exercising power over or causing pain in others, and those who were able to rationalize that their goals justified any means.

There may be others, but those are all I can think of right off.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorditio
Member # 1451

- posted      Profile for Gorditio   Email Gorditio         Edit/Delete Post 
Say, Pam. Perhaps you could tell us a bit about the story? It might help to create a better picture of what you're trying to do.

I suppose it's all what you believe. Many people here tend to say we are a product of our environment. I think that's true, but only to a point. Take abuse victims. Even this area, where those abused have an unusually high percentage of becoming abusers (in relation to other 'victim' type crimes) the rate is only 7-26% (depending on which study you choose to believe). With these diminishing 'returns' of molesters, we'd have run out of pedophiles several generations ago!
Start out with 100 pedophiles, the next generation would breed only 15 (average between 7 and 26), followed by 2.25, then .3375 (3/10th of a pedophile, go figure ) and so on. Further, a study found that most adult sex offenders claimed to never have been abused as children...go figure?

Why the Hell am I even talking about pedophiles? What relevence do they have in this discussion? Obviously because the sexual abuse of children is one of the worst crimes an individual can commit. Yet the pedophile population is rising with the general population, instead of diminishing as would happen if they were merely a product of their environment. Where is this evil coming from, then? It seems that the human brain, in all it's complexities is generating perversions at random within itself. This is the worst kind. If you have a victimized villian, he can be reached (Vader) and reasoned with, whereas those who feed off their own perversions are unreachable, unknown and by and far the most dangerous.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
pam
unregistered

I really appreciate all your replies. Although my own thoughts were that the 'how and why someone becomes evil' are not important to the storyline, you all have convinced me that it may be essential. Gordito, your comments about someone being evil because of their environment as compared to someone choosing evil was especially helpful.

[This message has been edited by pam (edited July 31, 2002).]

JK
Member # 654

The paedophile still has motivations and reasons for doing what he/she does. Just because child abuse is not one of them, does not mean that there are no motivating factors.
And, just for any record that might be lying around, these:
quote:
[CEOs] who were working to achieve goals as worthy as those of the protagonist, but who came into conflict with the protagonist anyway
are my favourites.
JK

Survivor
Member # 213

I personally think that these types of antagonist (it is inappropriate to call a good character caught in a tragic situation a "Cold and Evil One") are the most interesting, but senselessly evil villians are necessary to fiction that tries to reflect life.

Many of us have experiences coming into conflict with individuals that act from the best of motives, but the fact of the matter is that 90% of all human conflict is because someone is not acting from good (or even comprehensible) motives. Most of us act from bad (or at least not good) motives some of the time (according to Christian theology, only Christ never acted from bad motives).

One good way to show how bad a character's motives are is to show the attempted rationalization (if you claim not to be familiar with the process of rationalizing bad motives, then it comes to naturally to you that you just never notice doing it anymore ). But you can't be afraid of having bad or unjustifiable motives for your characters, otherwise your fiction will be patently unrealistic.

JK
Member # 654

Hey, it's my term, I'll apply it how I like. Plus, he is a CEO in the eyes of his opponent, isn't he?
There is no motive that is wholly bad. To our CEO, murdering this guy is perfectly justifiable. It's an exception, due to exceptionable circumstances. You call it rationalisation because you are not the CEO. You do not have his perspective.
JK

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is no motive that is wholly bad. To our CEO, murdering this guy is perfectly justifiable. It's an exception, due to exceptionable circumstances. You call it rationalisation because you are not the CEO. You do not have his perspective.

Perhaps you should add to the first sentence "in the eyes of the CEO." Just because the murder is justifiable in his eyes, doesn't make it not wholly bad. It is still bad. Ted Bundy, the 911 suicide bombers, et al, had perspectives they thought justified what they did.

If civilization is to work, some things must be off limits, with a price to be paid for stepping outside those limits. Ever hear of anarchy?

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

senselessly evil villians are necessary to fiction that tries to reflect life

Absolutely not - using such figures would demonstrate the author does not understand the subject matter they are trying to convey.

But you can't be afraid of having bad or unjustifiable motives for your characters, otherwise your fiction will be patently unrealistic

Characters with unjustifiable motives are called "melodramatic" characters. They are usually stereotypes and flat. Serious writing should avoid them.

90% of all human conflict is because someone is not acting from good (or even comprehensible) motives

Everyone acts in a way comprehensible to themselves. To plot a character the writer does not understand the motives to, would demonstrate poor character construction - possibly due to a poor understanding of the human experience. In other words, lack of empathy.

After all - if a writer cannot justify the motives of their own characters, why should a reader?

srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the writer has to have an understanding of motives. Do you understand what drove the 9/11 people? Read the Koran? It doesn't mean you agree with them, but a careful study of "evil" people will reveal that underneath they do not do evil for the sake of evil. They do have reasons that they have justified in their own heads.

Now unless you are writing a God against the Devil (whatever God and whatever Devil) then you can not have pure evil and pure good--hey now wait a minute even the Devil has a reason for his influence. He did not agree with God’s choice in how to make us behave, so he is out to do us good by his influence, then we will be made to behave in a certain way. And is even God wholly good? Can’t tings like plagues of locust, great floods, and pillars of salt be considered evil? But I am sure a god would say, “But they did not follow the rules, they made me mad!” Ah, but the child/wife beater also says, “They did not follow my rules and made me mad!”

So good and evil are mixed, with no evil there can be no good, and without good there can be no evil. So no person or character can be inherently one or the other.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

Ah...but even then, those concepts of good and evil are particular to mainstream Christianity. Judaism regards the issue very differently. As would many other spiritual outlooks.

Ultimately, a humanistic stance accepts that morality is a relative issue. A more religious view may insist on scriptures providing an "Objective Moral Standard". But even then, there are many different scriptures, and many relgious beliefs - even within the same faith. Thus morality becomes reduced again to relativism . For a really good antagonist, that needs to be understood.

srhowen
Member # 462

True, take many Native Americans and the way they believed and many still do, evil or the doing of an evil act, simply means the person is ill and must be cured. No one is pure evil, and if they do continue to do evil acts then they are a witch or possessed by a witch.

Every system has its own framework, and I failed to make my point clear. But oh well.

I think I was trying to say that no matter what, each person has a reason based in their belief frame for what they do. Good or Bad.

Shawn

Kolona
Member # 1438

quote:
they do not do evil for the sake of evil.

Still, it is evil that is being done, as your comment acknowledges. It seems there are three questions:

Is anything inherently evil?
    Can evil be done to bring about good?
    Is there an across-the-board truth?

quote:
Ultimately, a humanistic stance accepts that morality is a relative issue.

That's a dangerous view. Murder itself becomes relative and consequently non-evil. Anything goes. Kind of like how the American Psychiatric Association's "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual" deals with pedophiles; as long as they experience no "clinically significant distress or impairment" about it, they have no disorder. It doesn't matter how the kids feel about it.

Murder is either inherently evil, or it is relative to one's perspective. The 911 bombers saw murder as a respectable act that would be rewarded. The laws of the US believe murder is evil, reasonably setting aside war and self-defense, and attach punishment to it. Those who commit murder despite the law, risk penalties, no matter how justified they believe themselves to be, no matter how they believe they manipulated the means for the sake of the ends. CEOs can't just off people for the sake of the company.

quote:
the Devil....did not agree with God’s choice in how to make us behave, so he is out to do us good

God does not make us behave. We are not instinct-driven, but have free will. The devil was not concerned about any line we had to toe; he was interested in his own agrandizement.

quote:
And is even God wholly good?

If not, we're in deep doo-doo.

quote:
But I am sure a god would say, “But they did not follow the rules, they made me mad!”

If you believe God is, then it follows that he wrote the playbook.

quote:
Ah, but the child/wife beater also says, “They did not follow my rules and made me mad!”

Oh, my. Comparing God to a child/wife beater? The beater is already in the sad position of violating the playbook.

quote:
So good and evil are mixed, with no evil there can be no good, and without good there can be no evil. So no person or character can be inherently one or the other.

Regarding men, it is true that "There is so much good in the worst of us,/And so much bad in the best of us,/That it ill behooves any of us/To find fault with the rest of us." (Unknown). However, I see no logical progression or reason to assume the same as regards God. God existed before time, before evil, before one of his created angels introduced evil. If you want gods who acted more like men in their dichotomy of good and evil, go back to ancient Rome and Greece. But then you're at the mercy of capricious, fickle gods instead of the guy with the playbook.

I was an atheist for two weeks, and they were the most miserable two weeks of my life. I don't envy the atheist who denies the goodness of God or the relativistic humanist who refuses to acknowledge the ugliness of evil.

quote:
those concepts of good and evil are particular to mainstream Christianity. Judaism regards the issue very differently.

Seems like those two share the same view on the matter, hence the term Judeo-Christian.

And, again,

quote:
Ultimately, a humanistic stance accepts that morality is a relative issue.

Relativism is as dangerous as true democracy (which is why the U.S. forefathers gave us a republic). The majority could rule that murder or rape are fine and since it's all relative anyway.... No, give me a set of laws set on some coherent base that acknowledges a bedrock truth, that we "are endowed by our Creator with certain inalienable rights."

(Quietly stepping down from soapbox.)

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited August 01, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited August 01, 2002).]

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

Hi Kolona -

I sort of figured there would be a danger of offending yourself, so I wasn't trying to declare an objective rule of morality based on relativism.

I won't attempt to make argument against specific points you raise, both because I don't see this as the correct place for hardcore debate [I run a couple of debate communities elsewhere ] - but secondly, because I would be in danger of offending someone who has helped and encouraged myself tremendously.

My point about moral relativism was strictly intended to be applied to authorship. At least the relativistic positions of antagonist and protagonist need to be ajudged fairly by the author for "serious" writing. A mindless antagonist achieves little but vaudevillian melodrama. "Bwa-ha-ha!" etc. But an antogonist with deep personal motivations can create great sympathy, even if those motivations are likely to be perceived as "wrong".

Even when an author applies an "Objective Moral Standard" to their writing, this doesn't mean to say that antagonist need to exist without reason, purpose, nor without comprehensible motive.

Perhaps a poor example would be the development of Anakin Skywalker in the Star Wars films, which is utlimately about his redemption. Even in the old series it is explicitly stated that the person behind Darth Vader used to be a great person, turned to "the dark side" by events only later related in the newer films. He is given personal motivation, reasons for for his being, and ultimately creates a figure whose sacrifical death brings immense sympathy to this otherwise incredibly powerful personification of death itself.

[This message has been edited by Chronicles_of_Empire (edited August 02, 2002).]

srhowen
Member # 462

My points have been taking literally, when all they were, were examples. Guess this is a good example of how people judge what you write to be what you believe. I do not believe that any person is good or evil in totality.

If we want to talk about belief or what I have been taught here goes.

When God presented the plan of salvation the devil wanted there to be no free agency that way we would all achieve the same level of salvation. (this is what I meant by the devil did not agree with....God’s choice in how to make us behave, so he is out to do us good.) In his mind that would have been for our own good--no free agency. So he was cast out and now seeks to turn us away from God as his way of getting back at God.

When written out it sounds just like the way men act--you didn't do what I say so I am going to get back at you.

As to comparing God to a wife beater, that was not the point either. It was only to point out that people, and deity it seems, have motivations and reasons for what they do, and we little humans and fellow humans, sometimes have no idea or understanding of that reason---but in the head of the person doing the act (which may be perceived as evil)(and the acts of God can be and are often perceived as evil by those that have a different belief system)they are doing right for the good of what they believe.

Hope this made more sense or comes across a bit clearer. I will get off my soapbox now as I do agree with Brian that this is not the place for theological debate.

If I offended I beg pardon for my offence. I had not intended it to be taken literally this is what I believe it was merely an example of how anything can be thought of as evil if we do not understand the motivations, so when doing a character we must put layer upon layer to give them more depth than a character who is pure evil.

Shawn ( removing foot from the "it" I stepped in, as in Shawn really put her foot in it.)

Kolona
Member # 1438

Hey, you two,
I was not offended. Your shoes are clean.

I understand entertaining ideas for the sake of writing fiction, but sometimes--especially on these more casually written posts--I have a problem determining when that is being done as opposed to someone throwing out an idea with an implied "of course we all know this is true" behind it. Not responding to the latter sort of comment would seem to imply my consent with it.

I suppose the nit-picker in me expects to see qualifying words like "some might say," "some might ask," or "it is said" when the writer doesn't himself necessarily believe what he is writing. Without them, or with words like "I am sure," I take it that the author is putting forth his own views. And, of course, he is entitled to them, but when the "of course we all know this to be true" seems present, I feel, as I said, as though letting them stand without comment implies my agreement.

The more important the subject, the less I am inclined to allow that implication.

I am not offended/upset/fill-in-the-blank-yourself. We're . You two just happened to be pitching when I was at bat trying to figure out which pitches were good and which were not worth swinging at.

I certainly apologize for any offense I may have given.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited August 02, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited August 02, 2002).]

JK
Member # 654

Kolona: murder is wrong to you, because that is your morality. You'd call cannibals murderers, though to them, it is not so. Modern society, for the most part, has made the taking of a life inexcusable. But that does not make the act inherently evil. You yourself said that it was okay in self-defense or during war. So murder is wrong, but okay. There are exceptions to the rule.
Likewise, our CEO thinks that these circumstances are an exception to the rule. His perspective differs to your's, but there is not agent that can say 'yes, he's being evil'. It's all relative.
JK

Kolona
Member # 1438

JK,
Obviously, murder is wrong in my morality, but it is also wrong in the morality of the society of which the CEO is a part. I'm, of course, assuming he is not a CEO of a cannibal tribe.

However, I do not believe everything is relative. I do believe there are immutable truths, and murder being wrong is one of them. Running with "murder is not inherently evil" gives you a mafioso-style society in one of its manifestations--hardly a pleasant thought.

If we wholly accept the concept that murder is relative, then cannibals, human sacrifice adherents and their ilk could set up shop in the U.S. and we would have no right to stop them from practicing their relative views. Are you suggesting we say to the CEO with his personal view of murder, "As a people we are against murder, but since it is okay in your eyes, you're free to carry on."?

Fortunately, we have laws against that sort of thing (at least for the time being). Anyone who partakes in murder and certain other practices gets punished. It doesn't matter what the CEO or whoever thinks. A broken law garners punishment.

Exceptions to a rule do not rule out the rule. (Ah, wise words from my sub-conscious. ) Self-defense seems a no-brainer, and war is a fact of life on planet Earth. Fact is, there can never be peace between people who believe murder is evil and those who believe it is good, or at least relative. The one can never trust the other. No trust = no peace, which can easily escalate into war which, like self-defense, is sometimes unavoidable.

The agent known as God can and does say the murderer is being evil, but then we're not supposed to argue faith here. However, with this sort of subject, there is no other recourse. Sorry. (And now I'm probably in trouble again, so I'll end here.)

Survivor
Member # 213

By the way, "murder" is usually defined as being "unlawful and malicious" killing, not just killing. Legal killings, or killings without "malice" are by definition not murder. Because killing in self-defense and warfare are both legal, neither is "murder" as generally defined.

I would point out that many people consider this definition unsatisfying, and define murder as the taking of innocent life, whether or not legally permitted. By this definition, killing a person that is sufficiently guilty to deserve death, even when clearly illegal, is not "murder".

But "murder" cannot be used as if it were simply synonymous with "kill", unless it is explicitly stated that this is the case. Therefore any argument that depends on the equivalence of "murder" and "kill" must state that this is a premise, because this premise itself is questionable, in that many people will disagree with it if it is stated openly.

I challenge anyone here that has never done anything wrong for transparently nonsensical reasons to demonstrate their moral perfection by raising the Three Stooges from the dead. If you find that this is beyond your abilities, then you might want to examine your motives for doing certain things in your life, and determine whether or not some of they really were just senselessly bad.

Kolona
Member # 1438

You're right, Survivor,
There is a distinction between "murder" and "kill." As you demonstrate, it engenders its own argument, which is why I try to work under the main banner of "murder."

srhowen
Member # 462

Thou shall not kill. Ok, does that mean murder is OK?

Shawn

JK
Member # 654

Survivor defined 'murder' as "unlawful and malicious". My point earlier was that taking a life in any sense is against the law, except under circumstances such as war and self defense. Survivor's definition applies to both these instances, simply because of 'malicious'. It is very likely that there will be malice towards the armies of the nations that wish to take over your own. Similarly, there will likely be malice towards the man who wants to end your own life. Murder, in both cases. And therefore, inherently evil. But permissable because of law.
Now, the big point here is not to debate the meaning of evil. We're talking about how to present evil in fiction. No doubt Surivivor and Kolona, for example, will argue that there is no malice, or that, if there is, it's not the same. It's a special circumstance. But it's all a matter of perspective. There are men and women who would rather die than have blood on their hands because it is such an evil act to kill. They have a different perspective to the soldier, who will kill to protect the innocent people back home.
Likewise, our CEO has another perspective. He kills because this is a circumstance which he believes it is permissable. Perhaps this woman is speaking out against his methods of ruling. He silences her. Evil in someone's eyes, but alright in his, because if he allowed her to speak, his rule would be weakened. If this happened, perhaps the nation would crumble, because only he is up to the task.
It does matter what the CEO thinks, Kolona. Because if you don't know what he thinks, you don't understand him, and then you have no right to judge him in your ignorance. Since the reader will be the judge, they need to understand why he does what he does. And for the writer to present our CEO's thoughts, he or she needs to know how a CEO can see the world so that his actions are okay.
JK

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

The often quoted commandment "Thou shalt not kill" is more accurately translated from the Hebrew as "You will not murder". Anyone who checks will find that public execution was usually the proscribed punishment for breaking any of the big 10. The now populist interpretation rendered from the KJV would therefore be immediately nonsensical and contradictory, if taken literally.

[This message has been edited by Chronicles_of_Empire (edited August 03, 2002).]

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

Pam -

Actually, to get back on thread -

Why don't you try and find motivations for your antagonist in the first place? What makes that person the way they are? If you can answer that, then it's doubtful that you'll distract from the focus of the story - in fact, you'll probably strengthen it.

pam
unregistered

The motivation is there - he became evil because of his desire for greed and power. The question remains as to why he has such a thirst for power and money. As I read through the responses, there is a consensus that readers want to know why/how the antagonist(s) reaches the point where power (or lust, greed, etc) is the motivating factor.
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

Pam -

Here's a little info for you that may or may not be of help.

Personality profile: CEO

Charismatic, but manipulative. Good at managing others. Direct and goal driven. Lives to achieve.

Emotional profile: excess greed/lust

Serious personal insecurities. Material drives used to compensate for lack of emotional development. Fears loss of status. Peer pressure is a consideration in all decision making. Highly competitive. Probably little emotional nurturing from parents, who may also have been frequently absent.

Childhood scenarios:

Possible parental absence due to executive careers. Untreated post-natal depression in mother after birth leads to poor bonding. Emotional detachment later enforced by additional conditions, ie,: continual absence of parents; neglect of primary caregiver due to alcohol/drug abuse; loveless marriage with frequent emotional shifts through infidelities leads to insecure familial foundations; experience of poverty in early childhood of CEO leads to extreme desire to succeed; one or more parents experience poverty in early childhood, thus instil a desire to succeed in child.

Possible background for CEO:

Parents ran small store in local area which was badly hit by the depression of the 1920's. Parents become bankrupt. Recovering economy in the 1930's leads to father achieving small role in manufacturing base. CEO born late 1930's, early 1940's. Mother suffers post natal depression and is prescribed sedatives [check possible types of medication - ie, how change if anti-depressants?]. Expansion of US manufacturing in the 1940's leads to father gaining management positions.

Possibility of father joining up for WWII [check joining requirements] - involved in the liberation of Dachau [check possible camp options US soldiers actually involved with]. Father returns emotionally destroyed and becomes an alcoholic.

CEO is now 5/6 years old, in the care of a mother still on heavy medication, and a father who provides no emotional stimulus. Potential violence in the home, directed at mother. Child witnesses and is also threatened. Father spends time in bars picking up women, before choking to death on own vomit in the street. Mother's medication continues through different prescribed medicines, and blames child as a scapegoat for father's behaviour and death.

Child get's manufacturing position in the late fifties - possible nepotism from colleagues/friends of father. His desire to escape home makes him enthusiastic, and he rises quickly in a small expanding company.

1960's - Manufacturing company CEO involved with in a managerial position undergoes an aggressive corporate take-over. He is retained on the payroll and expands responsibilities. CEO now has possibility of studying for professional qualifications, either in spare time, or through work - suggestion area: corporate law.

1970's: CEO is headhunted by a foreign company looking to establish a commercial base in the US. CEO accepts with important non-executive position. Probably already married and divorced by this time. Treat women as a status symbol, and never able to relate to emotionally. Frequents prostitutes.

Etc etc

Hope that helps,

Brian

[This message has been edited by Chronicles_of_Empire (edited August 04, 2002).]

GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
The line separating CEO (Cold and Evil One) and CEO (Corporate Executive Officer) has been strangely blurred by that last post.

[This message has been edited by GZ (edited August 04, 2002).]

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

Ah...I only know the acronym CEO to mean Chief Executive Officer.

Oh, dear!

JK
Member # 654

Chronicles did a good job in that last post. The idea that our CEO already has the talents of manipulating others and being charismatic is a good one, because that could conceivably lead to him merely excercing talents that his god (either a God or nature) gave him; after all, he wouldn't have them if he wasn't meant to use them, right?
JK

Survivor
Member # 213

As this thread is now two pages long...oh, wait, it isn't.

[This message has been edited by Survivor (edited August 06, 2002).]

Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
This is an old topic, but it still has relevance today. I think that some of our newer members (including myself) can benefit from reading it.
Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
loggrad98
Member # 1724

- posted      Profile for loggrad98   Email loggrad98         Edit/Delete Post 
Two good books for exploring the origins of evil are "Whispers" and "False Memory", both by Dean Koontz. They show 2 very different ways to end up with very similar evil tendencies. And both are definitely worth a read just cause they are a good read... =)
Posts: 45 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nexus Capacitor
Member # 1694

- posted      Profile for Nexus Capacitor   Email Nexus Capacitor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think living in an apartment above a fried chicken restaurant will make you evil. I've seen it happen in two different cartoons.
Posts: 144 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this post won't sound too simplistic, ( ) but I do find I learn a lot from other works I enjoy.

While reading your post, Pam, I thought of Lord Voldemort in the Harry Potter books. At the beginning, we, as the reader, are not sure WHY he is evil, but we know that he is the antagonist. As the stories progress, we get little clues and tidbits about Voldemort's past. And though we still know he's the bad guy, we begin to see his story unfold, and even start to empathize with him. We may not agree with the choices he made, as we may have chosen another path, but we become more familiar with his "crossroads" of decision. We can see how he became the person he chose to be.

Sometimes, the journey the antagonist has taken is one of the most fascinating, as Rowling shows in her books. Tom Riddle's path to becoming Voldemort parallels Harry's path, but Harry chooses differently. But because of the similarities, we see the real story or tragedy. Harry COULD become a Voldemort-type wizard (just as Luke COULD have become a Vader-type person) but he chooses NOT to be.

So I guess what I'm saying, is that it is one's CHOICES that makes one evil or good. Two different people can be given the same test of character, and have two very different stories based on what they DID. Many people grow up in poverty, but the poverty itself does not create evil. What a person DOES with the poverty they find themselves in, is where their path will lead them.

Hoping this was not too redundant..,
LL

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Here's a question (actually, several): If Lucas had produced the Star Wars series in chronological order and we had been privy to the devolution of Darth Vader, would Vader have been more or less of a villain in the eyes of the audience? Does knowing and therefore empathizing with a villain remove some of the enjoyment of booing and/or being delightfully scared of the bad guy? Is the question of how someone becomes evil sometimes better left unanswered depending on the type of book/movie desired -- or at least that information delayed, as Lucas did with Vader?
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I think with any villain, once you give them a motive you loose a bit of the revulsion of the villain. It is much easier to sympathize with a bad guy who has a reason for being bad, than one who has no reason. If someone found out that Hitler was abused when he was little by a Jewish person, and that caused him to hate all Jews would that make him less evil? No, but it would give people a reason to feel pity for him.

I have a short story I wrote where the main character is supposed to be evil, uncaring, and ruthless. First draft I got uncaring, but I experimented with giving him a reason for the way he was. The result was pity, and sympathy. I didn't want either of those, so the reason had to go.

If you want people to connect with a evil character then reasons are the way to get them there. If you want the reader to dislike or hate the evil character, keep the reasons to yourself.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I gave up trying to read all the replies to this question about halfway through it, because it was so freaking long. My opinion though, is that everybody here is a huge fan of making huge, sweeping generalizations that aren't necessarily true. (An ironic statement, huh?) Do villains think they are doing good? Of course. Do villains know they're evil and do what they do because they actually enjoy it? Of course. Do villains do evil things completely senselessly, just because? Of course. There are all sorts of evil, and all sorts of motivations (or lack thereof) for doing it. I don't think anyone can say it is always good to have a villain with good rationalizations, or that it is always good to have a senselessly evil villain, or any of the other sweeping generalizations that have been made here. Write your villain as appropriate to your story. In the end, it is you who must make the decision about how your story will be written, and not your critics, unless your critics happen to work at a business whose name ends in "Publishing House."
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
LDS made a couple of really good points-- you really don't HAVE to explain to the reader why your "bad guy" is evil, but I do think that YOU, the writer, should know!

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.