Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » going separate ways

Author Topic: going separate ways
Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
i find a common theme in some fiction (especially fantasy) involves, at some point, a core pair or more of characters going their separate ways, at least for a time. and the book follows both/all their journeys. i don't have a problem with this, except when only one group contains a character well-defined as the protagonist. then i often get discouraged, wanting to skip ahead to the next part with them in it, but not wanting to miss anything important. not that i don't care about all the characters, i just wanna follow the prot. more. anybody else ever feel this way?

the reason i ask is that a project i'm working on looks like it's going to take a similar route: characters splitting off (well, sort of; some were never together in the first place...). to me, everyone's "journey" (again, not exactly a journey, but...) is equally interesting, but i don't know if others will agree.

any advice?

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Cosmi, my personal preference in cases like this is to ignore the "rule" some people have about ending each chapter in a cliff-hanger.

When you are moving from one set of characters to another set of characters (which you more or less have to do to keep them current with each other) you want the reader to move between them along with you.

If you end the part with one set of characters on a cliff-hanger, and then go to the other set of characters, you are running the risk of having the reader skip the part about the other set of characters in order to find out what happens to resolve the cliff-hanger.

Even if the reader is interested in all of your sets of characters, cliff-hangers can be particularly irritating if they are not resolved in the next chapter.

So PLEASE! Give the reader a break when you move from one set of characters to another.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Also consider that if your preferance as a reader for a single protagonist that the story follows is very strong, then you might be better off writing that way. Before writing something that you as a reader would be prejudiced against, ask yourself if there is a compelling reason for you to write it that way.

If none of the characters that you are splitting off are main POV characters, then you might be better off letting them tell a main POV character what happened to them rather than trying to follow them. If you do not view them as being important protagonists, and you dislike reading POV for non-protagonist characters, then you will need a very compelling reason to write it this way.

Remember, much of the information that we rely on in real life is second (or more) hand rather than first hand. The same is realistically true for most people even in fantasy works (exceptions being the super powerful villians that are everywhere at once). So there is nothing wrong with having important plot developments come to your main protagonist (and the reader) at second hand.

On the other hand, there are reasons that you would want to use multiple POV, and if those reasons are present, then you should (if you feel comfortable with it). But there is no reason to use "cliffhangers" in writing a book unless it is going to be serialized (since if the reader really wants to find out how the story ends, they can just read the last page...you have to make them want to read every page, not just the last one).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rina_Mystery
Member # 1487

- posted      Profile for Rina_Mystery   Email Rina_Mystery         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had the same feeling reading certain books, regarding cliffhangers and multiple protagonists. The purpose of cliffhangers seems to be to encourage readers' curiosity. Therefore, when you introduce an entirely new set of people and/or goings on, the reader will want to skip ahead. The last time I felt like that, I was reading 'Through Wolf's Eyes' by Jane Lindskold. Perhaps you could take a look at that.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never felt using cliffhangers at the end of every chapter is a very good literary device. After all, the best part of cliffhangers is the waiting, the anticipation and the nail-biting until the next installment comes around. If the next installment is just over the page, it makes a cliffhanger redundant.
That's a tad off-topic, but I have a problem keeping my opinions to myself *grin*
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
there is no reason to use "cliffhangers" in writing a book unless it is going to be serialized

quote:
the best part of cliffhangers is the waiting, the anticipation and the nail-biting until the next installment comes around. If the next installment is just over the page, it makes a cliffhanger redundant.

I disagree. I think cliffhangers have their place in fiction. If serialization is their only justification, then they're obsolete, but I don't think it is and they're not.

Among other things, cliffhangers are a little like charging $7.99 for a product instead of $8.00. It's really all the same in the end, but pyschologically it works. Sure, ending a chapter or a scene with a cliffhanger may not keep the reader in suspense for long, but it does ratchet up the tension nonetheless. It keeps the reader turning pages, which -- all things being equal -- they would have done anyway, but it makes a more enjoyable read.

For readers who have to steal small segments of time to read and who may, more often than not, stop at scene or chapter endings -- a sort of self-imposed serialization -- cliffhangers make them more anxious to get back to the book. Without them, that edge of urgency is absent.

When cliffhangers are not overdone -- not every scene or chapter should end with them, else you risk tiring out or annoying the reader -- they are simply one more tool in the writer's toolbox. Like any tool, they should be used properly.

quote:
The purpose of cliffhangers seems to be to encourage readers' curiosity. Therefore, when you introduce an entirely new set of people and/or goings on, the reader will want to skip ahead.

This might come under the heading of using cliffhangers properly. I confess, I've never felt compelled to skip over passages just to catch up with a previous scene. I've skipped over boring passages or off-color ones, but I've always been content to follow the author's lead and trusted him to get back to the scene in question, while I enjoyed the anticipation of the cliffhanger.

From a writer's standpoint, why would we not want to utilize something that stimulates reader curiosity?

I can see a use for cliffhangers when two or more protagonists are operating in separate scenes in an overlapping time frame, and both or all of them must be brought together at the end of that time, especially if the scenes are longer. (Short scenes might be too unwieldly for this kind of stop-and-go, although somewhere there is probably an author who made it work.) Also, if the resolution to one or more of the scenes would lead to too much of a jump ahead, time-wise, it may be necessary to stop at a cliffhanger.

Again, it's only a tool that must be used properly.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I think that properly escalated dramatic tension is far better than a "cliffhanger". By definition, with a "cliffhanger", you are ratcheting up the tension of a situation, then making the audience wait for a resolution.

I think that properly escalated tension will keep the reader turning pages because the dramatic action is ongoing, while cliffhangers make the reader want to skip pages because the waiting is artificially imposed. I don't know any real reason that you would want to encourage readers to skip pages, it seems like a patent waste of effort both for the writer and for the reader (both those that slog through the pages they were supposed to skip and those that have to hunt about for the resolution page when skipping those pages), but that is really all that "cliffhangers" as such, are good for in a book...unless you are writing a series of books.

A series has a lot more in common with a serialization than just the first four letters of the word. But you have to be aware that many readers don't want to get stuck reading a series unless they really are impressed with the authors writing. Cliffhangers do play some part in increasing the anticipation of the next book, but they are only effective in doing so if the reader actually cares about the characters and dramatic elements of the previous books. My belief is that if a reader cared for the characters of a previous book, then they will seek out additional books about those characters, so the "cliffhanger" really adds nothing except heightened anticipation (which only leads to readers feeling a bit less patient with you should you take a sabbatical or work on another project, as far as I can see). And I personally believe that too many cliffhangers tends to eat up a bit of the audiences good will for the author, and by proxy, the characters.

Still, if you find that you really enjoy cliffhangers, then you should probably incorperate them into your writing as you see fit...not using literary elements that you really enjoy (on the theory that leaving them out will make your work more popular) is almost as fatal to your artistic integrity as using elements that you despise (again, on the same theory, there are valid artistic reasons for doing either).

JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps, you're right, Kolona. But what seems to happen when a writer opts for a cliffhanger is that they drum one up for every chapter ending. The cliffhanger becomes contrived, and often is not a logical progression of events. So it doesn't work, at least not very well. I blame TV *grin*
For once, I believe I agree with Survivor. Natural escalation of tension will the do the trick far better than a cliffhanger, as far as I'm concerned.
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Ugh! Who invented the concept of the "Season finale", anyway? The only thing worse is the #$*& sweeps week and "very special" episodes. Bah! Idiot box!
Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for all the feedback. i'm not one for writing cliffhangers myself (although i enjoy them in moderation), actually. like i said, i think every section is equally interesting (okay, a biased opinion there...), so i think i'll go with Survivor's advice on this.

if it really erks me later i guess i can always scrap it and start again. i've been doing that more and more lately (alas).

thanks again everyone!

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.