Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Attending a Writers Conference.

Author Topic: Attending a Writers Conference.
ladyscribe
Member # 1478

- posted      Profile for ladyscribe   Email ladyscribe         Edit/Delete Post 
I will be attending this years Writing Conference in Surrey Canada in October. I have a few questions that I am hoping someone here may be able to answer for me.
First, would it be advisable to have something prepared to take with me? This is not mentioned in any of the liturature I have on the event.
Secondly, as this is my first Conference, would I be best to attend the workshops on technique and form, or the business end of fiction writing. Quite a few of these overlap and I am only able to select one or the other.
Any suggestions on this are welcome and appreciated.
Corinna

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been on the speaking end of writer’s conferences, and on the attending end.

When attending, do not take complete copies of your manuscript! Editors and agents lug enough to these things, they don’t want to be lugging several 100 manuscripts home with them. Does the conference offer you the chance for an appointment with an editor or agent? If so, I hope you signed up for one. For that, take a query letter and a business card. On the back of that card print a one-line plot summery of your novel. It may take a bit, but give it a twist.

Example: Police officer with a past uses one serial killer to catch another. (Silence of the Lambs)

The one liner serves to remind the editor or agent of what your story was about and they don’t mind taking home a card.

For those who you will meet while you mingle, and you must mingle, just give a brief overview of what you have to offer, less than 5 minutes, then hand them a card. They too will take it home and they will appreciate that you didn’t gush all over them and try to make them take a complete manuscript. (even sample chapters are a no no)

But bring the sample chapters and synop. Then if you have that appointment and they ask for it you have it.

Also, don’t swamp every agent or editor there. Be sure you know what they are looking for before you get there. Read the info packet. Meet up with one who is just attending as you are? Intro yourself. Don’t be afraid to ask what they are looking for.

And---take every workshop you can that interests you. Make the most of the experience.

And have fun!

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.