Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The 'God Particle'

Author Topic: The 'God Particle'
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how to link to an outside site for you, but there's an interesting article on Worldnetdaily.com August 17th entitled "Racing to the 'God Particle'" by Lakshmi Sandhana. Sounds like even physics isn't set in stone.

Hmmm. Did George Lucas have any of this in mind when he named Anakin's mother?

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited August 17, 2002).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Physics certainly isn't set in stone - it's overflowing with mysteries. One of the great things about it!

Here's a copy/pasted quote:

The Higgs boson field is the mechanism which extends the Standard Model to explain how particles acquire the properties associated with mass. The Higgs boson is the exchange particle in this field; it has not yet been discovered. Theorists estimate that accelerator energies of around 1TeV are the minimum required to detect the Higgs. Thus there is some chance that the Higgs will be found in Run II of the Tevatron at Fermilab. More likely, the Higgs will be discovered and studied when the Large Hadron Collider comes online at CERN in or after 2005.

Here's some more info:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/origins/cern/ideas/higgs.html

As for the named Shmi - not sure, but for Anakin look at this - possibly significant:

Anakim- In the Heavenly Chorus it is the voice of the Innocent who sings loudest among the Blessed Souls. Those mortals who "earn their wings" and are allowed to transubstantiate into a celestial form of life through a path of naivety and purity leave behind the last vestiges of their humanity in this choir before proceeding onward in the great Upward Spiral. This term too can be applied to those members of the nephilim who repent of their origin and serve the Light.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't seem to find that article, so I can't comment on its particular contents, but I doubt WND.com is, in general, a reputable source of scientific journalism.

Could somebody post the link? I'd like to see this specific article.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

CofE,
That sounds very New Age religionish but, since we're talking Hollywood, I guess that's about right.

chad,
Posting an article from elsewhere--whether WND.com does it or any other news site--simply comes under the heading of reporting what's going on out there. It's not an attempt to assume a scientific posture.
I hunted it down, and the original article is at http://wired.com/news/print/0,1294,54507,00.html

(So that's all you have to do? Just type all the jibberish around the address? Although I see the computer/site added a bunch of stuff to this board where you actually type in the message. )
[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited August 18, 2002).]

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

I've been doing some heavy research into angels the past couple of weeks - lot of weird and often contradictory stuff. When you mentioned Star Wars I remembered the word "anakim", and simply pasted something from a website. Possibly not at all relevant, though.

And now, back to the Higgs Boson...

[This message has been edited by Chronicles_of_Empire (edited August 18, 2002).]

chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. Interesting article. And, as you say, if it's linked THROUGH wnd.com, I've got no problem with it.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

I have no problems with Worldnetdaily period. Just about anything that doesn't kowtow to political correctness has my vote.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Kolona: if you want to get your political views and editorials from worldnetdaily that's your business. But if worldnetdaily is your source for scientific news, then you are not going to understand anything about how science works. Worldnetdaily is utterly, completely biased, and their covereage of science is highly selective.
Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Have you ever read Bernie Goldberg?
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

As a general point - perhaps we should start pooling some good science resources into a single thread? Then paste up URLs for pages that may be of particular interest?

Btw - it's maybe beside the point, but there's a good list of links to national press sites on WorldNetDaily:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/resources/foreign_newspapers.asp

[perhaps of interest to the global citizen]

[This message has been edited by Chronicles_of_Empire (edited August 23, 2002).]

Kolona
Member # 1438

P.S. I've had my political and world views long years before I even heard of worldnetdaily.

P.P.S. If a mime swears, do you wash his hands off with soap?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.