Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Plot Twist...

Author Topic: Plot Twist...
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here’s the deal. I was chugging along on my novel and I came up with a plot twist. Allow me to explain. I’m doing the three tier bad guy thing. Bad guy C works for/is in alliance with Bad Guy B and both Work for Bad Guy A. The plot twist is this Bad Guy C is actually Bad Guy B and vice-versa. This is really convoluted; let’s start over.

It goes like this. I have Satan, the Anti Christ, and a human pawn. I won’t to lead the reader to believe that the human pawn is actually the Anti Christ allusion, and after the human pawn, who they believe is the Anti Christ, is defeated the protagonists realize they’re mistake. This would really help me work in a major plot point involving the male and female lead.

Here’s my problem. If I was reading something similar I would think this plot twist was something the author simply pulled out of his ass and hadn’t intended the whole time. Ever see the movie Point Break (should’ve been more aptly titled Point Less) Nick Nolte and Keanu Reeves spend like the first 45 mins. chasing the wrong bad guy and you feel like you wasted your time, which in fact you did. The characters slap their heads and go about their way, trying to solve the case. It was like the screenwriter needed to fill in 45 mins.

To avoid this I was thinking of dropping hints throughout the story. That way it won’t seem pointless. If the reader didn’t see it, having the same evidence that the characters did than they can’t call them stupid. Ever see Fight Club? You were totally shocked by the ending. Ever see it a second time? You thought you were a dumb ass because they were telegraphing the “surprise” ending to you the entire time.

Does this make any sense? What do you think?

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It can be done, John.

The main thing to be sure of is that you don't leave the readers feeling cheated by the plot twist.

Best wishes to you on it.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

Your laconic advice is appreciated.

JOHN!

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, the whole part where they are chasing the "wrong" bad guys is how he develops his relationship with Swayze's character--which he couldn't have done if he was still looking at all surfers crosseyed, which he would have been if he hadn't already been certain that it was this one gang.

That's the whole point of them chasing the wrong gang, so that Keanu can join the real gang of the outlaw surfers without knowing that he's doing so. Only by thinking that he knows who the real bad guys are is he able to trust a group of people that would otherwise be high on his suspect list.

Woa, dude, if you didn't pick up on that in Point Break, then maybe it isn't such a good idea for you to try writing this type of plotline...

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Laconic, eh?

Well, how about this, then?

Barry Longyear, in his SCIENCE FICTION WRITERS WORKSHOP I (there hasn't ever been a II, so far as I know), talked about the basic plot skeleton for most adventure stories.

In that skeleton, he describes what he calls the Bright Moment which is followed by the Dark Moment, both of which come before the payment of the final price which brings about the resolution (where the good guys win).

The Bright Moment is when the good guys think they have won, and Dark Moment is when they find out that they haven't won after all.

Example from a movie that I hope has been around long enough that I won't spoil anything for anyone:

In THE TERMINATOR, the hero and heroine think they killed the robot when they blow up (and set on fire) the semi-truck. This is the Bright Moment.

The Dark Moment is when the robot walks out of the fire.

The final price is paid by the hero after that, and the heroine is then able to finally destroy the robot.

So finding out that you've been battling the wrong bad guys (after you've finally defeated them--the Bright Moment) would qualify as the Dark Moment--when you find out who the REAL bad guys are.

Then you have to pay some kind of price--winning isn't quite as simple or easy as you thought it was going to be--before you can defeat these bad guys.

But everything you've learned in battling the other bad guys will help you (or at least make you stronger, etc) in your battle with the REAL bad guys.

So, John, not only has it been done, but it has many variations and they've all been done. You just have to make sure that when you do it, you are fair to the reader--so they'll go back and see all the clues you gave them that they should have noticed (and maybe they'll feel stupid for having missed them, but at least they won't be mad at you).

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

My login hasn't been working so I'm just testing things out.

JOHN!

Good, it works now. I thought I did something wrong. It' been a while since I seen Point Break, but I still think the relationship could've been develpoed better---you know without alienating the reader.

Kathleen, laconic was my word of the day, and I couldn't resist the temptation to use it. I admit it was forced and not exactly in context. Thanks for the extended advice, though.

Wasn't King Solomn that said there's nothing new under the Sun? So, everythings been done---I just do it better---or try.

JOHN!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited August 23, 2002).]

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

John -

If you're using Biblical references, then ensure you've done your research on the issue. There's nothing more galling than someone writing about a subject they have tried very little to understand!

And that means you'll need to do more than simply read "The Book of Revelations"!

And if you're not planning to base it properly on any Biblical interpretation, then at least define what interpretation you are using early on.

As for the basics of the unfettered plot twist you're using - foreshadowing is definitely going to be a help. But be aware that it's worth juxtaposing both characters in such a way as to show the difference in scale [not least in intelligence and action] of both - at least, in the moment of realisation.

Ever read "Watchmen" by Alan Moore?

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

When the subject of research has come up I've noted it's importance but also how much I loathe it. I don't like reading nonfiction UNLESS it pertains to theology and philosophy. Those subjects fasinate me. I've read much more than just Revelations and I have little things in the story that if you get that's great but if not it doesn't take away. It's a subject of great interest to me and I grew up in the church so it's not that big of a stretch.

Wow, someone else read Watchmen? I'm good, but no Alan Moore. There should be a trade paper back collecting issues he did on a comic book called Supreme coming out in Novemember. SuprememE: The Story of the Year I belive it's called. If you get a chance pick up you won't be sorry. (just don't compare it to Watchmen; it's more super hero orienated.)

JOHN!

Studebach
Member # 1404

- posted      Profile for Studebach   Email Studebach         Edit/Delete Post 
What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; and there is nothing new under the sun. Ecclesiastes 1:9 RSV

This said by the king who had everything, but yet, really had nothing. Everything seemed meaningless.

Anyway, couldn't you see the coming of Jesus as a tremendous plot twist for the Jews. Here they were under rule of the Romans, a mighty empire who had conquered the Greeks who'd conquered the Persians, who'd conquered the Babylonians, who'd conquered the Assyrians. All the while, the Jews being moved from one occupation to the next. And then John the Baptist comes and tells of the One who is to come, and who is in the line of the great king David. Yet, when He shows up, he does not come like a warrior to destroy the oppressors, but comes to bring peace and to offer eternal life. Can you understand how the Jewish leaders reacted? I imagine it was quite a blow. But I am thankful nonetheless.

Well, sorry for the religious tangent. Was just inspired.

By the way, John, for clarification, it was Gary Busey and not Nick Nolte.

And thanks for the little push. I'll try not to explain so much and just let the story flow. Excellent advice, since I'm not too technologically-minded.

Stu

Posts: 17 | Registered: Mar 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

quote:
By the way, John, for clarification, it was Gary Busey and not Nick Nolte.

I get them confused loud mouthed, big teethed annoying actors. I love Bibical referrences---that was great.

JOHN!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited August 27, 2002).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.