Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What I hate about most sci-fi out these days...

Author Topic: What I hate about most sci-fi out these days...
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
I respect and look forward to the opinions of those on this board, but please realize I’m only editorializing. This is my opinion and I’m sure there’s those that disagree, but it’s something I’ve noticed recently and to put it rather crassly, it really bites my ass.

I’ve picked up two science fiction books recently and have not been able to get past page 100. I won’t mention the authors of these books so not to offend, but they were the perfect example of what I feel is wrong with the genre these days. The authors got so bogged down in their research or knowledge that already had that the lost sight of their story. This isn’t more of my characters-are-more-important ramblings. If your story is event driven, that’s fine, but your latest sci-fi (the term doesn’t offend me)novel should not read like a technical journal for NASA.

Just because you’re smart and just because you can write, doesn’t make you a novelist. Just because you’re well versed in a particular subject doesn’t make you a novelist. There are ways to use this information and still write a compelling story and not bore the reader to tears. To add insult to injury these novels are nominated for the most prestigious awards in the field.

Arguably, the most famous science fiction story in any medium is Star Wars---Lucas was telling a good story. (at least the first three times or last three depending on how you look at it) and not trying to prove how much he knew about space travel. The same for Star Trek and Logan’s Run---hell, even Ender’s Game. I’m a comic book fan from way back so “bad science” doesn’t offend me, but the focus of the book should not be your research or your scientific knowledge. It should be to tell a stroy.

I wish someone could write a good sci-fi novel. It doesn’t have to have an alien invasion or anything that pedestrian, but for the love of God, do really need to read the story from a squid’s perspective?

These authors are the reason it takes me 45 minutes to find a book to read, and thankful for Barnes & Nobles liberal return policy.

JOHN!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited August 26, 2002).]

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
John, consider your comments to be reviews, and don't worry about naming titles of the books you're talking about.

Once a book is published, it's fair game for reviews and criticisms like the one you've posted here.

Also, using specific examples of what doesn't work for you can give writers help in what not to do and how not to do it.

As long as you don't get personal in your remarks, and stick to what's in the book itself, your comments can be very useful.

I remember talking to David Brin on the day that he won the Hugo for STARTIDE RISING, and telling him that by writing the book the way he had, he made it hard for me to really care about any of the characters until I was much more than 100 pages into it. (He had written one chapter after another introducing a large cast of characters, and that took almost half the book. I recommended that he introduce a few characters and let the readers get to know them a little, before introducing more characters.)

He was very gracious about my comments--and he did not come back after winning and tell me how wrong I was. In fact, in his next book in the series, UPLIFT WAR, he introduced a few characters first, and then introduced the others as the story developed.

I don't know whether it was because of what I said or not, but my comments certainly didn't hurt, and he was a real gentleman about them.

So, please, tell us which books you're talking about and let us discuss with you what the authors could have done better.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
EnderMartinez
Member # 1497

- posted      Profile for EnderMartinez   Email EnderMartinez         Edit/Delete Post 
My vote for quote of the year:

"Just because you’re smart and just because you can write, doesn’t make you a novelist."

I could not agree with you more.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
huntr
Member # 1490

- posted      Profile for huntr   Email huntr         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was younger, I had much more patience. I even finished reading a lot of those technical novels. Now 20 pages is enough. There is so much out there to read and so little time.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

The first book I was referring to was by Gregory Benford--The Martian Race. But it's been a while since I attempted to read that one so I won't really comment on it.

The more recent book I was referring to was Manfold Time by Stephen Baxter. First off, he breaks up the characters which is tolerable if you see them together at first, but when it's really disjointed and you have to read over half the book to see how they relate, and one of them is a super-intellegent squid---well you can see how it gets convaluted real fast. Give us a few hints how that fit together. Well, some statrt to come together but others just leave you scratching your head.

The characters are almost interesting, different if nothing else and I like some of their relationships, but with the way it keeps changing POV (the chapters are named after characters and some relate some don't.) you stop caring and you primary goal is to figure out what the hell is going on.

Mr. Baxter is obvioulsy intellegent and despite my protest concerning research I respect the amount of work and time that went into it, but again your book should not be about your research. There's only one book by OSC that I read that I didn't absolutely love and that was Pastwatch which suffered from the same problem.

Another nuance of Baxter's which annoyed me was when a character is talking to an audience, congress, board room, press conference etc, that character is the name of the chapter and his speech is written in normal font with no quotations and everyone else's dialogue is written in italics This is annoying and bad form.

Basically, too much science and not enough fiction.

As for my "quote of the year" being smart certainly helps and you do need a certain amount of intellegence to write, but this alone doesn't make you a novelist. Everyone speaks so therefore they thnk they can string sentances together, until they have enough to make a book.

Fiction writing is a skill---a talent. Either you have the apptittude for it or you don't. It's like playiing the violin or painting. Smart people don't automatcally assume they can do these things. It's not such a common part of their lives like reading and speaking that they realize some talent or skill is involved. (just like Emily Dickenson and Sylvia Plath have convinced every woman on the planet that the only thing you need to write poetry is female sex organs, but that's a rant for a different day)

I wish editors would stop being impressed with research and intellegnece and actually worry about publishing GOOD stories.

JOHN!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited August 26, 2002).]

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, John. This was basically my point in the threads "Sci-Fi Caste System" & "Alien Compasses." I don't want to go into labor just to read a sci-fi book, and I don't think only science experts need apply to write them.

The one side needs the expertise to wrap their pure science into a good read, and the other side needs the expertise to take its modicum of science and make it sparkle. Both types of books should be available, since reading tastes vary, but neither side should assume an elitist attitude toward the other.

I'm not familiar with the process, but I would hope sci-fi awards don't attach greater weight to one side just because of the science involved. Imagination and writing skill should be just as important. Or are sci-fi awards like the fashion industry where the winners are things few people wear?

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited August 26, 2002).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

Alien compasses and alien caste systems are cool ideas actually. As I stated on your thread an alien compass could spawn a million ideas and if you use "bad science" you can add a million more to that. I've always been sort of fascinated by caste systems even in human cultires. It's a really shitty thing, but at the same time it's kind of effective, so exploring that could also be cool.

I'm not trying to come off as a elitist, but for people who enjoy research and the actuall science aspect of it should write non-fiction as obvioulsly that's their interest. The key word in the title of the genre is FICTION not science. I've always like the term Speculative Fiction too.

I just think in the places I've seen it it's a crutch for a story that wasn't fully developed. Not to talk about the same authors over over, but David Eddings (fantasy writer) has done more research than healthy, like waking up at dawn and walking until sunset just to see how many miles he could cover. It adds realism to his stoy, but it doesn't take away. That's what research or interests should do add, not be the main thrust. IM(ns)HO

JOHN!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited August 27, 2002).]

Kolona
Member # 1438

Hi, John,
Actually, it was sci-fi caste system, but I agree, you could definitely run with alien caste systems.

quote:
if you use "bad science" you can add a million more to that

I love it! After all, one planet's bad science can be another's reality. However, I can appreciate the fact that one person's science fiction is just as good as another's science fiction. I, too, like the term "speculative fiction," as long as you can speculate all you like. In any case, the story is paramount. All the bells and whistles in the universe won't make up for a fictional flop.

IM(ns)HO ???

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
IM(ns)HO stands for In My (not so) Humble Opinion

FWIW (for what it's worth)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Ah.
JOHN
Member # 1343

quote:
IM(ns)HO

I sure less people pay attention to me than I actually think, but to those that may have, have any of my opinions been that humbele?

I guess my problem isn't so much that these books are published are even that they're nominated for awards, but the fact that I waste my time and money on them. I swear to God I spent probably an hour at B & N (I'm a picky reader) and I was actually trying to find a fantasy novel written by a chick author to no avail. (all looked really bad or I could only find book 3 of a series) After all that time I feel like I got burnt. I really, despise books lik that and it's kinda tunred me to sci-fi.

There has to be something out there besides the type of books I've mentioned, books that spawn cults, and books with alien names that are spelled like Kp'tgsdfs'dtw (I hate that shit).

Anyone ever watch Robotech as a kid? I'm not much of a anime-geek, but that's science ficition at it's best. Great characters , not so distant future, cool aliens and tech. It was great. I'm gonna to write a sci-fi novel one day. It's going to be Robotech meets Pulp Fiction meets Saved By the Bell. It'll be great. (I'm only half serious)

JOHN!

srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in school we were taught that the definition of SciFI and fantasy was that SciFi was the nuts and bolts, hard science based on the scientific trends of today. Fantasy was the unexplained magic that had no grounds in science.

I remember at a Squaw Valley writer’s conference, one of the author speakers gave a great talk. I still have my notes from that conference way back when. He told the story of how one author (the inference was that this happened often) kept getting rejected even though his work was good. He was writing SciFi and marketing his book as SciFi, but the science in his book was telepathy. There was and explanation as to why the people had the telepathy—based in science. But the editors were reading it as Fantasy because he didn’t give the explanation.

Perhaps these new writers have taken that division too seriously and that’s why they are devoting so much time to the hard science aspect to be sure that they are understood as SciFi writers.

We also seem to live in a world of let’s explain it. You may not care so much about the nuts and bolts but want a people story. But the author assumes you know nothing of the topic. And many readers do not “get” many things about another science, so need the explanations, same goes for books like PASTWATCH. I have written a historical fantasy/SciFI. And in it often times my crit group would say—“What’s this?” And that was just with Native American terms that to me are everyday. If an editor does much the same---well I many end up with more “tech” explanations than I want.

Sadly, though, I agree. I stand in the SciFi or Fantasy isle and groan. Probably why I have been reading so many mysteries lately.

Shawn

[This message has been edited by srhowen (edited August 27, 2002).]

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
There's one thing to remember:

Technical sci-fi has a loyal, dedicated, hard-core audience. ANALOG magazine, after all, has one of the highest -- if not THE highest -- circulation.

Benford and Baxter are among my favorite authors simply because they get their facts straight. My personal vote for "Best Rising New Star" is Geoff Landis, who is a NASA engineer/physicist who writes in his spare time. (I've read some of his technical papers -- they're just as SF as his novels. Good stuff!) Landis' MARS CROSSING was an excellent, high-tech adventure story.

The reason technical books get published, and people like Benford and Baxter make a living, is people like me -- and there are a lot of us -- can't abide by novels where the science is less than 99.5% accurate.

Not that YOU have to read such stories, of course!!!

We have a free market economy, and the market will decide who is a good writer. Simply because I can't stand Robert Jordan doesn't make him BAD; it only means he won't get my $5/novel. Benford and Baxter will. They, in turn, won't get your $5/novel.

Indeed, fiction is what it is because everyone has different tastes. If everyone wrote and read the same stuff, it would get really boring really fast.

Consider: the so-called New Wave writers of the 1970's (I am told) rebelled against the hard-SF paradigm. Larry Niven made dump-truck-fulls of cash in the 1970's because he was about the only new hard-SF guy. Not that the "new wave" were bad, simply that a dedicated audience cried out for hard science and Niven delivered.

Similarly, with the rather impressive quantity of heroic fantasy being published these days, we hard-SF types eat up all the work the few still-living hard-SF writers can produce.

Certainly Orson Scott Card is a brilliant author, but I haven't read any of his stuff lately, simply because I have finite time and money, and I want to cram a different sub-genre into said finite time.

[This message has been edited by chad_parish (edited August 27, 2002).]

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

chad_parish,

You’re exactly the voice I was hoping to hear from. When I express an opinion, I don’t expect people to agree with me, although that would be great, I just want them to understand my point of view. In return I’d like to understand the opposite side as well.

I’d like to know the allure of these novels. To me it’s stops being so much a story and starts to seem like it should be one of those books in the library I’m not allowed to check out.

Have you read Manfold Time? Does it get “better” as it goes along? I thought the relationship between the main character and his ex-wife was kinda cool, but not enough to keep me going. The politics, NASA being the bad guy, was also a neat catch as well. To me it’s like watching Jurassic Park or Twister the special effects are the main characters and plot---so his the reality based science in the types of books I mentioned. If these books used the same research and were just as technically sound, but had more characterization, I would be more apt to read them. I think these men are extremely intelligent, hard working, and good writers. If you like their books more power to you. I just don’t think their very good storytellers.

I totally agree with you that these kind of books have a hardcore following because it’s the only thing I can ever find. These books have decent plots because the back of the book sounds great and then after a few pages it sounds like Popular Science. It’s not that I’m stupid and can’t understand what’s being said (although I do get a little bogged down) it’s that it just doesn’t interest me.

JOHN!

chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
I did not read the specific book in question, so I cannot comment on it.

In general, I find the appeal to be much like that of a mystery story: the author presents a scientific puzzle, the way a mystery must immediately present a murder.

As the story goes on, the author drops scientific clues. I race the characters to the conclusion, trying to firugre out what weird bit of science the author is driving at. In a mystery, the resolution you try to guess before it is revealed is "Who dun it?" In hard SF, you must guess, "How dun it?"

That's the sub-sub-genre of the hard-SF puzzle, anyway. People like Crichton, who write the hard-SF adventure (or whatnot), make more money because their well-characterized, well-plotted books are better.

Don't get me wrong; good characterization and stroytelling are preferable to not! Simply that all we DEMAND is hard science. If it's in conjuction with character et al., excelsior! If it's a poorly written story with kick-ass science, we'll make do.

Crichton is a better author than most, because he does both. But few things can engage my mind like a Robert Forward pure-puzzle story, or a Benford-type scientifically architectured milieu.

Character is NICE, but science is MANDATORY.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

See, I get that! I don't agree with it, but I get that. Thank you. It's a literary Rubix Cube, which explains my contempt for the sub genre or whatever. Ruix Cubes were fun for all of about 30 seconds when I either threw it across the room or peeled all the stickers off and stuck them in the right place.

quote:
We have a free market economy, and the market will decide who is a good writer. Simply because I can't stand Robert Jordan doesn't make him BAD; it only means he won't get my $5/novel. Benford and Baxter will. They, in turn, won't get your $5/novel.

Don't think that I missed the point, but Jordan won't get my $5(more like $8)/novel anymore. Book one was enough. I DO see what you mean, though.

JOHN!

Kolona
Member # 1438

Loved the Rubix Cube comparison.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually not a big fan of so-called "hard" SF. For me, 'tis nice if the author gets stuff right, but what is far more important is that the author not get stuff wrong. And the problem with deliberately "hard" SF is that the author's usually end up makeing a lot more science errors just because they concentrate on the science more.

I don't care if a writer doesn't know enough to pass a first year physics class, just so long as there are no explicitly drawn science errors in the story. But for most writers, the more "nuts and bolts" they try to be, the more science errors they make. The worst part is that "hard" SF writers often invite the audience to root out errors by over explicating their science. I can forgive a few mistakes by someone that is just not thinking about the science, but dozens or hundreds of frank impossibilities coming from a writer that claims to know better turns me off real quick.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
This is something I've noticed actually.

I'm a third year Astrophysics student, and every time I've tried to write a piece of 'hard' scifi, I always have difficulties. I mean, I am well aware of what I'm writing and so I am so anal about making sure that the science is right, that it stops being fun. More like I'm correcting a technical journal.

So, I think you have to make a few omissions, or atleast stretch some things in order for it to be exciting.

Hell, just look at Timeline. While I admit it isn't hard scifi, the science in that book is atrocious--and it's sold millions of copies.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

That's an amazing insight, Survivor. It never occurred to me, yet now it seems so obvious. And Rahl's observations about losing the fun of it all....

I just read something by an agent: If you're not having fun writing, stop already. Put yourself out of your misery. (paraphrased) Or, in this case, identify and eliminate what it is that's sapping your writing enjoyment. If a too-anal determination to be scientifically flawless has placed a monkey on your back, throw the thing off.

'Course, then there's Churchill's line that he didn't like to write, but loved having written.

JOHN
Member # 1343

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just wanted everyone to know I exchanged the book in question for something I throughly enjoy, by an author I'm actually familiar with. I met him at a convention and sat in on what was labled on the agenda as a writing seminar, the coordinator didn't know the meaning of the word seminar and only allotted 45 minutes so it turned into a lecture with a reading of one of the author's short stories that wasn't published at the time. I read a good deal of his stuff and liked it all.

Anyway, the book I got was Sir Apropos of Nothing by Peter David. I'm only a few hundred pages into it but it's a great read and really funny. Check it out; the sequel just came out in hardback as well Sir Apropos The Woad to Wuin.

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited August 30, 2002).]

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor beat me to it.

I am a fan of hard science fiction, but I do not need an explanation of how everything works, unless the explanation is important to the story.

Suppose a character needs to move a spaceship. It's enough for the writer to tell me "Captain Ironrod needed to blast out of orbit, so he engaged the fusion drive and the starship surged ahead." I don't need to hear about H, He, Dueterium, or the temperature of pressure of the engine, unless that information will be an important clue (or red herring) in the plot.

But woe unto the writer who tells me "Captain Ironrod needed to blast out of orbit, so he shoveled some coal into the firebox. The drive wheels bit into the rails, and with a metalic squeal his cosmic locomotive chugged foreward."

Yuch. That science is awful to the point of being comical!

I routinely accept things like fusion, antimatter, spectroscopy, doppler shift, time dilation, etc. I understand them without an explanation because they work in the world around me.

But other sci-fi staples (e.g. telepathy, time travel, faster-than-light travel, telekinesis, etc) cannot follow the laws of nature that I know. If an author is going to use them, he/she had better give me some explanation of how they work in his/her world!

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited September 03, 2002).]

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
POV is the SF writer's best friend for this. Put in whatever information of which the POV character is actually, leave out whatever the POV character doesn't think about.

If Captain Ironrod needs to "blast out of orbit," then he has to have some idea what actual actions on his part will accomplish this if the action is to be accomplished. Just describe what Captain Ironrod is actually aware of doing and thinking. It can't miss, particularly if you choose a more action hero type for your POV character, rather than a science geek (of course, action has its own "science", but most readers have almost no academic or practical knowledge of real action hero theory, so mistakes usually don't cause problems with the majority of the audience--as is clear from the popularity of John Woo action movies).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
talans fury
Member # 1507

- posted      Profile for talans fury   Email talans fury         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem seams to arise when a prominantly scientific minded person writes a novel. I tend to write in the manor that John speaks of, it comes from a compulsion to make the writers fantasy more reality in his or her own mind. I keep a quite large "scientific" journal on the environment that my story takes place. For me half the fun of writing is creating the laws and properties that govern the environment i am writing about. It helps maintain consistancy in the story it self.

Of course i agree that some authors go overboard. I do so my self sometimes.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

What I'm referring to is the "blah, blah, blah, zzzzzzzzzzzz" aspect of it. Just pages upon pages upon pages of narrative explaining these advance scienctific ideas--no not ideas--facts. It never ends. I have a really bad habit of writing so much dialogue that my novel looks like a screenplay at times, but I'd rather explain things through the mouths of the characters then in my own voice (narrative). If these sciencetific facts are part of your story I think there's a better way to go about explaining them. Have your characters discuss them or set up a straight man. Someone who's pulled in to the situation, but has limited knowledge of these things. That gives you an excuse to explain things to that character, and in effect the reader. It's the snore factor that gets me. I don't need ACTION! ACTION! ACTION! all the time in fact I find straight up fight scenes boring in prose, but again I don't want to feel like I'm reading a text book. But what do I know because apprently there is a fairly big market for these books. I just wish there was some more sci-if out there that was set more then 20 years into the future, and involved interesting characters, and the author didn't try to write a thesis paper and a story at the same time. These books are the only thing I can find. I want the novel equivlent of Star Trek and Star Wars (but not the shitty tie-in books ) The science fiction I used to love growing up. Anyone ever read the Fantastic Four comic book? Reed Richards had the ability to stretch his skin, and people wondered how his costume could didn't rip when he used his power, or how Invisible Woman's custome was able to turn invisible when she used her power or the Human Torch's costume didn't go up into flames. The explanation give, unstable molecules. Reed Richards made the groups costumes from unstable molecules---100% unadulturated bullshit, but it was enough to make me stop asking. It's FICTION; the reason God gave us the ability to suspend our disbeilf.

JOHN!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited September 11, 2002).]

Kolona
Member # 1438

John, I'm looking for pretty much the same thing in SF. I just finished "The Icarus Hunt" by Timothy Zahn and I think you might enjoy it. Zahn does write "Star Wars" tie-in books, but this is not one.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited September 12, 2002).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.