Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The Grammar Thread (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Grammar Thread
Jon Boy
Member # 1512

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy   Email Jon Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
"Is 'indicative' the same thing as 'declarative'? i was also taught that exclamatory is a separate fourth 'mood' (i wasn't taught to call them moods, but i can't for the life of me remember what my teachers called them)."

You're thinking of sentence types, not moods. I believe that set is declarative, interrogative, exclamatory, and imperative. Those have more to do with the structure of the sentence.

Moods, on the other hand, have to do with meaning. They're kind of like tenses, but they express a "feeling" instead of a time.

"I think the best way to learn English is to just read, then you can really get a feel for how to effectively communicate."

Absolutely. Studies have shown that learning grammar has very little impact on how well someone communicates. Learning usage on the other hand, is very helpful. It'll help you learn why to do something, whereas grammar just tells you what its technical name is.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor~ alas, i enjoy many of those things (i've never tried pottery or woodcarving). my beef is that they can't be learned by reading a set of instructions, though i know that's asking a lot. but just because i despise how i must learn something doesn't mean i despise the activity itself. {reads back through post} i guess my PS made it sound like i loath the activities, sorry about the confusion.

Jon Boy~ thanks for clearing that up.

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 1512

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy   Email Jon Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
No problem, Cosmi. I really should de-lurk more often. I've become too addicted to the Hatrack River Forum, so I don't come here much. I just can't resist discussions about language, though.
Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
But of course. I was just being silly. On the other hand, you are being silly as well. In order for you to have truly "learned" anything, you must develop a "feel" for it (or to be more specific, you must develop those neural and nervous pathways that actuate the skill you are learning). That is what we mean by "learning" in the neurophysiological sense. It is impossible for a human (or other animal) to learn in any other way than by training the nervous system, since this is what we mean when we apply the term to an entity that uses a nervous system.

I do understand what you mean, though. You mean that a skill that seemingly cannot be fully described by a finite number of rules will always leave you "chasing a moving target" in your attempts to master it, and so no matter how much you enjoy the activity itself, you never feel satisfied by the learning process. Of course--again, I am just the opposite. Any finite learning process leaves me cold rather quickly

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.