Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Question about Rejection Slip

Author Topic: Question about Rejection Slip
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
I just received a rejection notice in the mail today. After the standard, "We regret...", the editor listed - in his own handwriting - what he liked about the piece and why it was ultimately rejected.

This is the first rejection letter I've received (I'm somewhat new to writing fiction), and I was wondering what this means. Do editors usually do this?

I remember reading somewhere that you know you're making progress when editors start jotting notes on the rejection slips. Is this true?

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Editors do not usually do this--they are way too busy to do stuff like this unless they want to encourage a writer.

So, yes, you are ahead of the field if this is your first rejection letter.

Since the editor did not say "if you fix this, I'd like to see it again" don't send it back to the editor after a rewrite. Fix the things that you feel will improve your story (after all, it's still just one editor's opinion) and ignore the rest, and send the story to a different editor.

Then, send a new story to the editor you just received the rejection from (and make sure it doesn't have any of the problems the editor pointed out in your first story).

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the response and the advise!
Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm insanely jealous. Albeit I've only submitted about four pieces now (still waiting on rejection slips) I know that mine wont have personal comments!

Lucky you.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
Some editors seem more prone to this than others. The magazines run by DNA Publications -- such as ABSOLUTE MAGNITUDE -- seem to use a checklist-rejection, and will often make a comment or two at the bottom.

Others, like ANALOG, jusr use a photocopied form.

Who, specifically, rejected you?

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.