Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Book Signings

Author Topic: Book Signings
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to OSC’s book signing last night. A delightful event that left me with nifty signatures in two of my favorite books by him. He came early and did some signings of those of use that had, well, come early , then did an engaging question and answer session for about an hour, followed by more signing for those who had come later. During the quick chats he had with people while he signed/personalized their books and the Q&A sessions, you could really see the personality coming across that shows up in his writing, especially some of the essays and columns posted on this site. Everyone seemed to really be enjoying themselves, and there was just this great atmosphere.

This was only the second signing I’d ever been to (Whether people don’t come to my part of the country much or I just never find out about it, I don’t know). The first was one for Anne McCaferty, right when The Dolphins of Pern came out. Much different situation. Had to buy the new book to get a ticket for the line. There was no presentation/talk/Q&A what-have-you. I hardly remember her out of the whole thing, because the way it was set up the interaction level was about zero. Plus, my one signed Pern book is no where near my favorite. It was still cool that I went, but I don’t know how much I really got out of it.

What I find sort of curious is how publishers see the signing thing (they having to look at this from a business perspective). I always assumed they used it as a marketing tool of some sort. But I wonder how that really works. I myself would only go to a signing of someone whose books I read or planning to read anyway in most cases. Seeing them in person, while wonderful in it’s own right, doesn’t inspire me to buy the book. If I’m interested enough to go to the signing, I’m already interested enough to buy the book. I certainly buy books from people I’ve never been to a signing for. My best guess is that the publisher sees it as a means of increasing name recognition and garnering reader good will, things that might influence sales. And of course, maybe there are other people who do buy books just because of a signing (I guess especially if you have to buy one to get the signature).

Well, whatever reasoning the publisher works out for it, I’m glad they do it. As a reader, how wonderful, in whatever way, to see a glimpse of the person behind that page with squiggles on it. I’m still sort of giddy about it.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe book signings help the publisher only because they help the author. To stay alive in publishing, authors need to pay attention to their readers, to cultivate and keep in touch with them, since readers are the final arbiters of the whole merry-go-round. The personal touch can go a long way in keeping interest in an author's books alive. What you, GZ, have witnessed, is the right way and the wrong way to conduct signings.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
I can come up with an analogy for any situation, but try to stick with me through this one.

I’ve always seen any meet-and-greet situation like a strip club. (wait…wait… I can pull this off)

Speaking as a male, when I go to a strip club (unfortunately I live in the not so great Commonwealth of Virginia (Virginia Beach to be specific) so strip club is a bit of a misnomer. Bikini * yawn * bar would be more accurate, but I digress)

Yes, when I go to a strip club I went to see T & A (if you don’t know, don’t ask) but I don’t want to watch some girl who acts like she’s only bilking me for money and she’s at work and is bored and would rather be anywhere but there, which is more than likely the case. But at the very least pretend you like me. When you get right down to it that’s her job. If a woman seems personable I'll be more than happy to fill her g-string with a few crumpled, sweaty dollar bills. I'm not suggesting they stop dancing, that is after all what I’ve come to see, but smile, flirt, ask me how my day was and what I do when you get off stage, grab my ass when you walk----ok that’s a bit much but you get my point.

(If I can have your attention, please, we’re going full circle. Be aware that both the “Fasten Seatbelts” and “No Smoking” sign have been turned on…)

The same is true for signings. Let’s face it, the author, artists, athlete, etc. would probably rather be anywhere else in the world the signing for a multitude of raving fans. It’s not like they have any animosity towards these people, they pay their bills after all, but I’m sure they rather be with their family, or sleeping or watching TV or whatever. It’s part of their job.

Anyone that has worked in retail, customer service (or as an exotic dancer) can attest that the customers are a pain in the ass, but you wouldn’t have a job if wasn’t for them. (I could have avoided the analogy business and just posted that last sentence--oh well) I’m sure that interesting things get said and some of the fans are really cool, but it takes the author away from what they would be doing if that didn’t have to do that

People on the other side of the table at signings should be personable. I don’t agree with HAVING to buy the new book, but I guess you have to remember everyone has bad days. To wrap up my ham-fisted analogy. Just like a stripper if an author acts like he’s happy to see you, you’ll be more willingly and actually happy to part with your money.

JOHN!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited September 06, 2002).]

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Let’s face it, the author, artists, athlete, etc. would probably rather be anywhere else in the world the signing for a multitude of raving fans.

I think that (and a couple other comments) makes artists (I’m using this word for the group listed above) as a whole sound cold and calculated. It would seem to me that how much a particular artist enjoys such encounters would be highly dependent on his or her personality. Some may, as you said, want at heart nothing to do with it. As far as writers go, the job requires an ability to sit and put words to paper in an engaging manner for long periods of time, and a need to express him/herself to drive the putting down of the words. Public speaking and face-to-face people skills with strangers are of course desirable skills, but seem in this case to be more secondary skills for the primary job. But there are people that get a thrill out of such attention or are energized by interacting with people. Maybe they don’t want to do it everyday or drug all over the country for weeks at a time to do it, but surely there is something they personally get out of it beyond it being a pain. I think most artists would enjoy the validation of having other people come up to them and indicate for something that holds so much of the artist’s self, “I got something out of that.”

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it all depends upon the individual writer. For example, the late, great Douglas Adams seemed to really enjoy meeting and mingling with fans, and took a lot of time with each to chat, give hugs, or pose for pix. And he didn't demand that you buy anything new...whatever you brought to sign was fine with him. By contrast, Harlan Ellison would rather smack you over the head with a baseball bat than sign anything but what he is currently pushing, and he'll still sign that with reluctance and nary a glance up at the requestor. (BTW, these are both based upon first-hand experience. If anyone had a different experience with these fellows, feel free to chime in).

The point is, some people like to mix it up with their fans. Some don't In my opinion, the don'ts shouldn't...all they succeed in doing by forcing themselves to attend signings or cons is piss off and alienate their fans. As a marketing person, it seems completely illogical to force these authors, or anyone else, into attending something they obviously abhorr...it is counterproductive from a promotional standpoint.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit, it would please my conceit to be aware that people were willing to travel thousands of miles and stand in lines to get my autograph, but I wouldn't actually enjoy sitting there giving them out.

I'd enjoy the dreamless sleep of the forgotten grave more than signing autographs, but I doubt that is true for most writers. I'm willing to bet that many writers (and some other public figures) actually get a kick out of being surrounded by hordes of sweating mammals. In fact, one person on this thread admitted to being willing to pay to enjoy the company, sight, and touch of particular types of sweating mammal. Whatever. I prefer my mammals skinned and sauted for the most part.

My point is that even though most of us might not enjoy hanging out with adoring fans, some people do.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Wen Spencer
Member # 1509

- posted      Profile for Wen Spencer   Email Wen Spencer         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to meet authors, check out the sf convention listing at www.locusmag.com

At sf conventions you can meet authors and talk with them and here them read and get them to sign books without the normal 1 or 2 hour time constrain of a signing.

As for book signings, they depend on the writer's level. Beginning writers like myself have to set up signings by contacting the bookstores and begging. It's only when someone makes the Stephen King, Anne McCaffery level does the publishers start setting up the booksignings as a publicity thing, and then its a mix of what the bookstore manager wants to do, what the publisher has left the author time to do, and what the author wants to do (which usually depends on how many days they've been doing book signings.)

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rina
Member # 825

- posted      Profile for Rina   Email Rina         Edit/Delete Post 
I've talked a lot with OSC... personally, I think he enjoys his fans, at least the ones who have something to talk about, but he gets easily annoyed with fans who just wanna know him because he's famous.

He got annoyed with me, but personally, he misinterpreted my question... too scared to write back to him now.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

- posted      Profile for PaganQuaker   Email PaganQuaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Some belated responses to old posts in this topic ...

About writer as stripper:
No, I don't think that all writers necessarily hate being on signings. Certainly at least a few of us have daydreamed about having successful ones, right? You sit there and one after another star-eyed fan comes up and says "_Spinning Eyeballs of Mars_ is the greatest book of all time!" or "I know this is going to sound goofy, but when I read _Paint in a Space Cave_, it really changed my life."

OK, OK, even aside from that kind of silly stuff, the idea of being able to talk to a bunch of people who have spent time in my fictional worlds, are interested in them, and can give me all kinds of feedback and opinions on the matter sounds wonderful to me. Not wonderful enough to be out signing instead of writing and being with my family six months out of the year, but pretty darn wonderful.

This is the "fame" part of "fame and fortune." The fortune part is, of course, generally not available at this time, but if you'll leave a message ...

About the purpose of signings: My sense is that the key purpose from the publisher's point of view is to help generate word of mouth. If you meet someone even slightly famous, you may have a tendency to talk to a lot of friends about the person -- and their new book, and their other books that you've enjoyed, etc.

Additionally, I think it actually does sell copies of the book, although probably not enough to pay for the writer's transportation, lodging, and time.

After all, to use your analogy, John, we're not up here taking our clothes off because we need the money. We're up here taking our clothes off because we enjoy being up here taking our clothes off. (Don't analyze that too literally, please.)

Luc

Posts: 380 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

- posted      Profile for PaganQuaker   Email PaganQuaker         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, it occurs to me that signings seem often to occur at writers' conferences and SF/F conventions, both of which seem to happen much more regularly than I previously realized. These seem especially useful kinds of signings: More people with stronger and more well-thought-out opinions to talk to, rubbing elbows with other professional writers, and getting the attention of some of the most enthusiastic fans of the genre, many of whom may not ever have heard of you before. While I'm not convinced that I'd want to do bookstore signings (so much time away from family and writing!), I am convinced that if I got to the level of being asked to participate in cons as a writer, I'd certainly go.

Much more work to do before that, of course!

Luc

Posts: 380 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.