Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Universal Translator

Author Topic: Universal Translator
JeffElkins
Member # 1516

- posted      Profile for JeffElkins   Email JeffElkins         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on a time travel scenario.

1. Travel is only possible backwards
2. Travel is only possible to prehistory
3. Being prehistorical, no known languages exist.

I need to have my protagonist be able to enter into dialog with 'natives' immediately, so I need some sf magic...a universal translator.

I'm thinking about some type of nanotechnology flim-flam, that I can introduce in a sentence. It's not a focus of the story at all, just a block to get past.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Primitive, largely nomadic human populations must have been adept at bridging language barriers if they were willing to interact with strangers. Therefore, a universal translator would seem to be unnecessary. A good ear for new vocabulary and knack for simple syntax would be sufficient. Remember that the core vocabulary of most modern languages (what is needed for basic communication) is usually only a few hundred words. Since it would seem impossible for any translation matrix that didn't involve "telepathy" to provide understanding of a word before it is used, and since it would be the common experience of almost all primitive nomadic humans that strangers would speak a somewhat different language, any plausible translator would not provide a significant advantage.

However, it is a very good idea for the time traveller to have a neuro-sybernetic interface with an implanted computer system. This would provide the ability to "record" language elements and "replay" them to augment natural language abilities, thus allowing the user to "learn" any phrase immediately. It would also be well if the system contained an extensive "knowledgebase" relevent to survival in a prehistoric setting as well as being linked to a nano-medical system to effectively prevent disease transmission (both ways, critical for a time traveller) or other mishap.

I would like to point out a couple of issues with your initial statements.

1. Time travel into the future is known to be possible Either cryogenics or relativistic time dialation both can transport a human any "distance" into the future.

2. Any time travel mechanism that could move a person into the past would logically make it just as possible to visit the near past as the distant past, so the only reason that travel to the near past would be "impossible" would be regulations prohibiting it. A regulation prohibiting only travel to the known past, while permitting travel to the distant past, would have to be based on the quite silly presumption that events in prehistory in no way affected or could affect those in history. This is, naturally, demonstrably false. If the human race is wiped out in prehistory, then all of history is affected dramatically.

These issues are, for purposes of your story, unimportant.

1. Your time traveller is interested in travelling back to prehistory for particular reasons.

2. Your time traveller cannot (or does not wish to) take with him any means of returning to the future.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 1198

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's always a babble-fish. Then again, those cause God not to exist, so you might want to take that into consideration...

...also, you'd have to be able to tolerate really bad alien poetry.

Posts: 231 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffElkins
Member # 1516

- posted      Profile for JeffElkins   Email JeffElkins         Edit/Delete Post 
>>A good ear for new vocabulary and knack for simple syntax would be sufficient. >>

Thanks for your comments.

For my story, complex immediate verbal interaction is required, no learning period, no language classes, no grunting.

I like the babblefish concept, but don't want to get sued

We're talking 'sf magic' here, in a sense. Just as an FTL drive is 'sf magic.'

It needs to be expressed in just a sentence or two, just to move the story along.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Then either just say that the thing is a "universal translator" and leave it at that (any technical details will only remind technically competent readers that it is an impossibility) or just have the time traveller know the language already (just call it Urdic Prime or something so that the reader knows that it is a primative language an that the traveller has already learned it).

I say again, the only way to make a working "universal translator" of the sort you are talking about would involve some type of mind reader--a device capable of decompiling and translating at least the language and conceptual centers of a human brain. Any such device, however, could more easily be used to translate thoughts than natural language, since translating thoughts would be a logical requirement prior to translating speech.

My suggestion is to just have the guy know Urdic already.

Survivor
Member # 213

By the way, an FTL drive is no more "magic" than is any form of time travel to the past, in almost all modern conceptions of physics, either implies the other (and in all interpretations, time travel to the past logically implies FTL travel).

Cybernetics dictates that a "universal translator" is possible, but only by the means I have stated, namely, a mind reading device (or telepathy, which amounts to the same thing).

huntr
Member # 1490

- posted      Profile for huntr   Email huntr         Edit/Delete Post 
How about making it a side affect of time travel and letting it go at that if you want it short and sweet.

I would go for having the traveler take on an overlay of memories and the proper appearance consistent with the destination. That would cover a multitude of problems.

Chuck

Posts: 20 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
Need he be the first time-traveller? The "pathfinder" group, so to speak, might have picked up the language the old-fashioned way and taught it to the follow-up team.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, the "Universal Translator" concept is great fodder for comedy in a number of ways. Below is one I used once, showing the absurdity of the Star Trek version of the device. Remember the Star Trek rules: if a person wearing a Universal Translator converses with a person who speaks another language, the translator translates BOTH WAYS.

I wrote a scene with four people who spoke different languages testing their brand new "Omniversal Translators." The four spoke English, Spanish, Hungarian, and French.

The English speaker says "Hello." His translator repeats it in the three other languages.

But at the same time, the other three translators are also translating "Hello." So the English translator hears Spanish, Hungarian, and French and dutifully repeats "Hello" three more times.

Meanwhile, the French translator is hearing Hungarian and Spanish, the Hungarian translator is hearing French and Spanish, the Spanish translator is hearing Hungarian and French . . .

Thus, the moment the first word was uttered in any language, the Universal Translators would all start babbling furiously to each other, making communication impossible.

It was a very funny scene. Imagine "Turn off the #%&$ing Omniversal Translators!" screamed over and over in four different languages . . .

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

That would obviously occur if the translators both picked up the audio and translated into another audio, just one (very minor) reason that it would be essential that the translator read minds rather than translate an audio stream.

It is not a terribly difficult difficulty to over come, however. All the translator need do is focus the output to the intended recipients. This is not actually impossible, like extrapolating the meaning (and precise usage) of terms not previously encountered, a commonplace of "Universal Translators".

As I suggested before, if the UT is not an important part of the story, then just have your time traveller study the language beforehand (interesting use of the term, that), and just mention that fact in passing. If you can travel into the distant past, then it would not be difficult to learn a lot about the distant past without assuming any other novel technology (you could simply transport simple, durable audio recorders disguised as rocks back to the vicinity of a village, then retrieve them in the future). You don't need to go into how the language was first studied--any intelligent reader will think of a number of ways it could have been done the moment the question is raised. Just say, "Elizabob recognized the language as Urdic, just as Proffesor Lupindershloss had predicted (don't mention what an interesting use of the term "predicted" this is, unless for comic effect)."

Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff~

i'm assuming you have a pretty good reason time travel can only occur backwards, so a word of caution if you take Survivor's advice (about setting up pseudorocks and letting them get to the future the old-fashioned way) at the moment, we don't have any information-storing technology that could save information for such a long period of time. so if you do that, the easiest way to go about it (i can see chad_parish cringing at this one) is to make up some new alloy or new method or whatnot that could stand the test of time and don't get into details.

what's wrong with telepathy? what if people sent out a non-verbal "gist" of what they were speaking as some form of electromagnetic radiation, but for one reason or another, mankind's receptive center for it wasn't as developed? then, you could have some sort of nanotechnology boost it in your protagonist pre-trip and voila! he knows exactly what the natives are trying to say. obviously, this wouldn't work both ways. it would be interesting to read about him trying to get his own messages across, i think, but if you must have two-way communication, then i suggest some sort of nanoprobe that could be injected into the natives.

anyway, just mtc. i'm interested to see how this turns out.

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
Being a metallurgist, that's the kind of thing I enjoy speculating about.

The biggest problem would be a storage media -- how do you save data for that long? CD-ROMs are gauranteed for 100 years, I think... magnetic media for a lot less. You'd almost have to engrave it, and then prevent the decay of the engraved material.

There's been lots of research lately into materials to withstand thouadns of years in a nuclear storage vault (Yucca mountain, et al.), so mentioning that the technology is dervied from nuclear storage technology would be as much detail as you might need.

Cosmi
Member # 1252

actually, it was the lack of detail i didn't think you'd like...

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Survivor
Member # 213

It wouldn't be too difficult to come up with a way to store information for thousands of years, particularly if you are using nanotechnology (in fact, there are many information bearing artifacts from thousands of years ago, so you could persuasively argue that humanity has come up with plenty of ways to store information for thousands of years). It would certainly be far easier than getting anything from the present thousands of years into the past.

Which brings up a point for all you "hard" SF writers out there. Don't ever "justify" anything more than the science that your story absolutely depends on. In this case, that means time travel to the past.

Cosmi
Member # 1252

i can see it now...

...and as the primitive beings talked, the computer-rock hummed to itself. Deep within its bowels it recorded the grunts and gestures of the people and deciphered their meaning. for years it worked until, one day, it was gone. slinking away in the night, it found its way across hill and stream and valley and journeyed all the way to the cave. there, using the dexterity given to all computer-rocks, it scrawled upon the walls one of first languages of man. and thus, the dictionary was born....

{sigh} okay, i'm done.

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

PS: good point, Survivor, i hadn't thought of that. (although i was thinking from a computer/electronic standpoint)

Survivor
Member # 213

Umm, yeah.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of encoding the information in a strand of DNA and replicating it a few billion times (hence my nanotechnology referance). The referance to early human information technologies was...just to point out that there was no insuperable theoretical barrier, I guess.

Though that does bring up an interesting side consequence of time travel...you could send robots back into the past to meet construction deadlines...no wait, Douglas Adams again. Darn.

Cosmi
Member # 1252

where would you put the DNA? in the early humans? couldn't adding to the available DNA of a species possibly effect its evolution? obviously i'm no expert in this area, and i think i'm confused. please elaborate.

TTFN & ?

Cosmi

chad_parish
Member # 1155

quote:

actually, it was the lack of detail i didn't think you'd like...

quote:

Which brings up a point for all you "hard" SF writers out there. Don't ever "justify" anything more than the science that your story absolutely depends on.

The author should work out all the details of the super-long lived metal, or whatever, to several decimal places. He should also, however, only put a comment such as "derived from nuclear-storage-vault technology" in the actual text.

It should be JUSTIFIABLE, but only subject the reader to enough data to convince him that you HAVE justified it.

As the great sage of the 1980's said: "Trust, but verify."

PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

- posted      Profile for PaganQuaker   Email PaganQuaker         Edit/Delete Post 
My first reaction to the "universal translator" question is that it's nonsense science, and likely to turn people off to your story who don't like nonsense science. A universal translator is not possible in the way it's depicted in Star Trek, for instance, because there isn't a one-to-one relationship between meanings of phrases in English and other languages.

Example: English speaker says "hello" and wishes to translate to German. In German, though, you don't say "hello": You say "good day" or "good evening." Thus the translator has to pick a roughly approximate phrase as the closest match, and the translated phrase doesn't have the exact meaning of the original. If the translator says "good day," the German-speaker could respond "We don't use your system of timekeeping; it's not day yet for us." (Wir benutzen nicht deine ...) This wouldn't make any sense to the English speaker when it was translated back.

This given that the languages are not only between members of the same species at the same moment in history, but also given that English is largely *based* on Germanic languages. They're very close. Languages spoken by completely different kinds of beings, from different environments and different cultures, might in many cases be virtually untranslatable -- and certainly not immediately translatable into easily-understood English concepts.

OK, I'll stop myself there and do a complete 180. I think a universal translator of the kind you're talking about *is* theoretically possible. Since knowledge is stored in the brain electrically, language is bound to be encoded in specific constructs that, if we understood the brain incredibly well, we could decode. So your universal translator scans the brain of a local with some sort of near-distance neuroscanner, deciphers the language constructs it finds, and either does instant gratification cybernetic learning or else acts as an interpreter -- in which latter case it would do not only a translation, but also provide explanations where necessary. For instance, if the person says "I would like to eat your family," the translator might mention that this culture believes you gain the strengths of those you eat, and that the person is complimenting your family by saying they'd be worth eating.

As to being able to travel to prehistory and not historical periods, this seems a little arbitrary to me, but it could be justified. Consider the analogy of the catapult: It can't fire at a target five feet away, but it can be used to lob across a battlefield. Machines can have all kinds of limitations based on their conditions.

All this said, I always feel slightly annoyed when a story skips over important considerations of the situation (like the language barrier) to get to what the writer wants to write. If the character gets into the far distant past and is immediately able to understand the residents of that time, I first need to be convinced that's possible (or else I'm disgusted with the story because it has a gaping logical hole in it, unless I'm willing to ignore that because I am loving the other elements of the story so much -- not something that it's a good idea to bet on even if the other elements of the story are absolutely wonderful), and then might still be disappointed because we've skipped something that might have been interesting and made it dull. Again, I probably wouldn't care too much if I were greatly wrapped up in the rest of the story.

Hope this is helpful. And please remember that in physics, the limit of the speed of light isn't just a good idea: it's the law.

Luc

Posts: 380 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, the fact that time travel logically implies FTL travel is one of the sturdiest arguments against it.

As for DNA, it can be stored in an enclosed, nonreactive container (in fact, that's the best way to store it). The point is that it carries information, can be replicated to create many copies, lasts for thousands of years, etc. You would just synthesize the code strand and 'amplify' it using PCR, all in a very small test tube, then store it. Such an information storage medium would be able to hold information for millions of years if it was well shielded against radiation and the storage cells were not compromised.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.