Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Yet another inane question.

Author Topic: Yet another inane question.
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as you've all noticed--I'm incredibly paranoid.

I want to send away for submission guidelines, but I'm a little unsure of how to go about it. Do I use a regular sized envelope, and then just fold the SASE inside of it?? Or do I need to use a big envelope?

I know, I'm really quite pathetic, but I'm also quite curious! This is one of those little details that I've never thought about until now.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 1198

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally send stories in a large manilla envelope, with a legal sized SASE included.

In my experience, the rejection letters have always come back in that envelope along with the first page of my story.

Unfortunately, I have no experience yet regarding accepted submissions.

Posts: 231 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

That's typically how I submit things as well, but I was actually just hoping to get submission guidelines back. I wasn't going to submit anything yet.
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Have you tried checking out the websites of the agents you're selecting? Guidelines are often posted there.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always used two #10 envelopes (the regular long business size), and folded the self-addressed stamped one in threes and stuck it inside the outer one with a formal letter request for writer's guidelines.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

Yes, I often do that--But I just haven't been able to find this one!

Kolona, that's what I was planning on doing. And what do you mean by a "formal" request? Don't you just jot down on a piece of paper?

Rahl

Kolona
Member # 1438

I realize "casual" and "informal" are the watchwords today, but I subscribe to a particular philosophy, especially as regards writing: When I'm dealing with people who can change my life, I'm going to stack the deck in my favor. That means I'll take a business-like approach in all my communications with them and their industry, even in simple things like requests for writer's guidelines.

A formal letter request means a standard business letter format--return address and date at the top, inside address beneath it, salutation, letter body (short full sentences, no extra gibberish), closing, etc. At best, I want to convey a professional attitude/appearance; at least, I want to avoid any avoidable prejudices against my work.

Rather than "jot down" my request, I'm inclined to type it out. It seems more business-like that way, but that's just my opinion.

P.S. Your might try the library for a copy of Writer's Market.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited September 28, 2002).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want guidelines for science fiction and fantasy markets, you can go to

http://www.ralan.com

and find lists of such markets, each of which will have a link directly to any website guidelines a market may have.

It's a quick way and saves on postage.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Also just discovered that Formatting & Submitting Your Manuscript by Jack & Glenda Neff and Don Prues has a sample letter for, among other things, a request for guidelines.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.