Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Ask Dr. Fiction

Author Topic: Ask Dr. Fiction
PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

- posted      Profile for PaganQuaker   Email PaganQuaker         Edit/Delete Post 
For the past year or so I've been collecting usual solutions to usual writing problems, and I'm guessing that many of us here have clear answers to some common writing problems. If anyone's interested, I thought this might be a useful place to post for help for problems we may be experiencing in particular projects in a very general way. That is, without giving any specifics about your particular project, you describe what the obstacle is and anyone who has a technique that's sometimes helpful for that obstacle posts it.

Example:

Q: I've been working on a novel and have gotten to a point where I need to get characters from point A to point B, but I can't seem to write this in a way that is exciting: it always comes out boring and plodding. Any suggestions?

[Then several people post possible answers.]

A: Maybe your characters are always reacting to circumstances; if that's the case, is there anything they can do on their own initiative that rises out of their own needs?

A: Maybe you're trying to make the characters fit into the plot rather than letting them act in character. Can you let them do whatever they want and not worry about whether they get to point B or not?

A: Maybe it's too easy to get from A to B. Would it help to introduce problems or obstacles? From the characters' point of view, what's the worst possible thing that could happen? Would that be something that you could make happen?

A: Maybe you could benefit from doing more invention of the area between A and B, and/or invention about the characters. Discovering more character history, more character motivations, or more details about the setting they'll be in could bring up ideas that would energize this part of your novel.

Luc

Posts: 380 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
A: "They caught the bus. On arriving at B,..."
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
---"we need to get to B's house," said character one.

---"You're right. Let's go."

***(or double, double line space)

Character one and character two arrived at B's in the middle of the night---

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.