Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Police Research

Author Topic: Police Research
DragynGide
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for DragynGide   Email DragynGide         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to decide whether to include police in my book, and how much; and in order to do so I have to find out as much pertinent information as possible. Can anyone suggest to me some resources? A good book I'll buy if I can; internet resources would be invaluable if they're worthwhile.

Thanks!

Shasta

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it's the same where you come from, but in my hometown, you can ask to ride for a day with a police officer. I know that first-hand experience beats any other type of research, and while some book research will be necessary, I'd start with trying that out. That way you could ask the officer you shadow for the day (or the couple of hours) some specific questions, or ask him or her to talk about the job in general.
Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
What book is this exactly?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
DragynGide
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for DragynGide   Email DragynGide         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like it would be great, but in my current circumstances, I wouldn't be free to do that even if it proved to be a possibility.

As far as what book this is, it is a novel I'm working on that does not actually revolve around police procedure; but the main character's father is a police officer, and I need to know enough about the police to portray him convincingly-- and also to know what he can and can't do.

Shasta

Survivor
Member # 213

I'm going to assume that you're setting this book in the present or very near future, then.

If you just want to know what the rules are for police in a particular area, then there is a good deal of information available online, rather too much, actually. The thing is that the body of case law that restricts police in what they may or may not do is extremely complex (and sometimes seems to have very little to do with the putative principles of law referanced).

As a practical matter, police do pretty much whatever they can get away with (much like intelligent criminals). If it turns out that a judge doesn't like what they did, then a criminal gets off and the cops don't try that particular trick again.

General information about the sorts of things police can and cannot do is readily available on the websites of many lawyers (particularly criminal defense lawyers). If you want to review the "Constitutional" issues, then law school sites have plenty of information about the theories on which laywers base their arguments.

chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends. A small town 2-man department will not resemble LAPD or NYPD, and the federal agencies are a whole other level of complexity.

Then, a patrolman will not resemble a SWAT-team member will not resemble the FBI's hostage rescue team, so on and so forth.

The autobiography COLD ZERO by Whitcomb is interesting because it covers many different aspects: from his time as a junior FBI agent in No-wheres-ville, Middle America, to being one of the HRT snipers at Ruby Ridge and Waco.

It's a case study, not a text, mind you. But it's good!

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
DragynGide
Member # 1448

Okay, a few more specifics then.

1) It is set in the present day.

2) The character in question is going to be either a patrolman or a homicide detective; I haven't decided yet.

3) I need to know about the procedures used by both of the above, chains of command, and various mundane details.

4) The book is set in Santa Rosa, California; for those who don't know, it's a smallish city between San Francisco and Sacramento that has two gangs that are more likely to carry knives than guns.

Oh, by the way, I grew up there but I live 2,000 miles away now.

Shasta

Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
actually, my dad is a cop for a town about the size you are describing. tell me what you need to know, and i'll see what i can do.

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
DragynGide
Member # 1448

WOW. Thank you very very very much for volunteering. Prepare to be deluged...

Just one big question to start with, actually, and I'll get on to others later.

Can you describe the general titles/positions/duties/divisions of policemen and their departments?

This one thing will help immensely.

Shasta

DragynGide
Member # 1448

Cosmi? Please? Still there? *pokepoke*

Shasta

Survivor
Member # 213

I think maybe Cosmi meant to continue the discussion by Email.
Cosmi
Member # 1252

sorry about that. i haven't checked this thread in a while.... i'll email my dad and get back to you soon.

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Cosmi
Member # 1252

i know it's been a while and i'm sorry.

my dad sent this to me. if you want more specific detail about a particular area, let me know.

http://www.geocities.com/lightbulb137/policechart.html

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.