Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » For hunters

Author Topic: For hunters
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Have any of you ever been bow hunting? Do animals (deer specifically) scream when shot? What do they do? You have to drain out the blood if you want to eat the meat, right? How is that done? Thanks for any info you have--I want to make this scene as believeable as possible, and I don't have a way to get out and hunting right now.
Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Deer don't have the correct equipment to "scream" as such, and they lack the instincts for it too. At a clean kill shot they'll startle and run for a bit, then collapse.

To drain the blood, you should cut the throat and use a simple tackle to elevate the hind legs. This also simplifies gutting the carcass, which should be done immediately as well. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WIHTOUT SOME TRAINING OR EXPERT GUIDANCE.

If you've really never done this, or at least seen it done (I've never done it to a deer, myself), then read a couple of different accounts by people that have. There's more to it than whether the prey screams and how you drain the blood.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Survivor. Don't worry; I won't go try anything stupid. I know some people who hunt, but I thought I'd start here.
Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.