Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » what makes 'em so damned great? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: what makes 'em so damned great?
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently seen Finding Forrester, and though it was a pretty good movie, it also made me think. If you haven't seen it, it's about a young man who befriends an older man (Sean Connery) who, he finds later, wrote one of the greatest novels of the twentieth century...on his first try.

This made me think: what exactly makes a great american novel? I've heard novels like The Great Gatsby and Old Man and the Sea refferred to as great, and I don't know why. Not only great, however, but Great American Novels. Why? What makes them so great?

If I remember correctly from Junior English, The Great Gatsby was little more than a 1920's soap opera: A sleeps with B but is married to C, who's sleeping with D. E is the main character, who barely understands any of it.

Old Man and the Sea was about a man in a boat following and catching a big fish.

Am I blind to literature? Is this some sort of lapse in memory, where the greatest passages in the novels are lost to me, or is it just "the older the better"?

Some one fill me in, because I'm going out of my mind.

Confused, frantic, and many things but sane,

Chris

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
What makes a novel, or any work of art, "Great" (with the capital and the quotes and all) is very simple.

The audience.

Cynically, I would say that if the people that run the "literary community"--meaning arrogant professors that had to go to school for ten years to figure out that they can't create anything themselves and the like --decide they everyone ought to experience some work of art, regardless of whether it has any aesthetic appeal to people that actually care about such things, then they stamp it "Great" and proclaim that everyone that cannot see the greatness of it is an imbecile (sort of a take off on the Emperor's New Clothes, only they really believe it themselves half the time).

Once stamped "Great", the work is assigned a "Meaning"--which is to say, they attach some wildly far fetched 'deeply significant' moral to the art work, usually something rather suspect having much more to do with supporting the delusions of the members of their community rather than being based on any real interest in questions of right and wrong. It is then ready to be flogged about as a sort of tool for social change, a shovel for the glorious conceptual fertilizer that is so important to the development of the sort of society they envision.

On the other hand...

The Great Gatsby really is a marvalous morality tale. It's about the depravity and moral emptyness of the elegent society of the roaring twenties, an utterly compelling and believable narrative of hypocrasy, deceit, and animalistic passions dressed up in fashionable clothes and expensive possessions. It's about an idealistic boy that sells his soul for the affection of the woman he loves, only to have her spit on his grave. It's a beautiful work of fiction, for it is utterly believable, but it is also a great work of art, because it teaches us a truth beyond the particulars of time and place.

Likewise, the Old Man and the Sea is a testament to genuine, unvarnished human courage. It isn't about causes, or morality, or even survival. The only thing we are asked to contemplate is simple heroism, with everything else stripped away. The value of heroism isn't dependent on whether or not it accomplishes some particular goal. It is intrinsically valuable and worthwhile in its own right.

So perhaps if I don't want to be cynical, I could say differently. To be "Great", art must tranform the way the audience percieves the world, either reaffirming deeply cherished beliefs and giving them new meaning, or challenging the audience with new beliefs that are too powerful to resist.

Art is not a product of an algorithm. Further, it is not "repeatable", just as you will never have a second first epiphany. You cannot study past examples of great art to learn how to create great art. Instead you must study the audience to whom you will offer it. When you know them in such intimate detail that you know an insight that will profoundly invigorate and increase the meaning of their lives, and further understand them well enough to know how to put that into a form they can understand, then you can create great art, art that takes the audience and transforms it.

But is your goal to create great art or is it to make a living as an artist? Because humans need ordinary art too, and they'll consume a lot more of it, generally speaking.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
It takes many things for a novel to be labeled "great" by the literary community. I'm sure the marks of greatness vary from novel to novel. I haven't formally studied much American literature, or any literature, so I can only guess at what those marks of greatness are.

I can tell you this: the greatness of a novel has nothing whatsoever to do with its subject matter. A soap opera can be great. A man catching a fish (or not catching it) can be great. A college student struggling with an image of catching children running through a field or rye can be great.

If someone tells you that a novel is great and you ask "What's it about?" then you don't get the point. There are many great novels. There are no great subjects.

I'm a big fan of The Great Gatsby, but I'm not sure why. It helped me to understand the 1920s, and it helped me to understand great storytelling (especially POV and exposition), but those qualities alone don't make it great.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

- posted      Profile for PaganQuaker   Email PaganQuaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd consider "great" just a label that some people slap on books when they start feeling like everyone can or should experience the book, but I'd suggest it's strictly labelling and opinion. Light In August, for instance, is praised up and down (I believe I recall OSC making mention of it as an of-course-this-is-an-amazing-novel), yet my wife and I both read deeply into it, and neither of us got much enjoyment or anything else from it, so we both dropped it. Maybe a great novel for a lot of people, but not worth much for us.

Short version: I don't believe there's any objective "greatness" to a novel -- but if a large number of people consider it great, that will do very well as a substitute for objective greatness.

Luc

Posts: 380 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 1512

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy   Email Jon Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been a fan of the "classics." I've always had a dislike of assigned reading, but that dislike grew stronger when we had to read The Scarlet Letter in eleventh grade. I thought the book was pure crap. And you want to know what's ironic? I'm an English major! (Though I should add that I will be changing my major to the brand-new English language major next year. Grammar, linguistics, and editing! Now, that's what I live for!)
Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, no, no... Arrrrrgh, please tell me he didn't just say that! Hawthorne is God!!!!!! How can you not like the Scarlet Letter????? Demi Moore should be burned at the stake for that God awful movie of the same name!!!!

"Art is subjective...art is subjective...art is subjective...."

Ok, I'm better now.

The Scarlet Letter isn't my favorite either, but how about his short stoires? Young Goodman Brown? The Minister's Black Veil? Earth's Holocaust? Have you checked any of those out? Well, if you don't like those either, I'll just have to go back to my new mantra.

"Art is subjective...art is subjective...art is subjective...."

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited November 19, 2002).]

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy, thank you! I've been on an anti-Hawthorne crusade for years. What a dolt. I mean, seriously. Pearl (sp) the three year old spoke with the same diction and language as the adults! That was just the beginning of my objections.

Ewwww.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

It's getting worse!!!!

I haven't read Scarlet Letter in a long time, but don't throw Hawethorne away----there other good stuff out there.

Is there anyone out there that agrees wiht me???

JOHN!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited November 19, 2002).]

Survivor
Member # 213

The Scarlet Letter certainly was a great work back when it was written. In his own day, Hawthorne dealt extensively with themes of man against nature (both natural, divine, and diabolical) against man, and against the self. To modern readers, the themes may seem passe, but that is largely because we live in a world that has been extensively shaped by Hawthorne's works.

Just by way of a side note, anyone here read his story, The Artist of the Beautiful? Now that was a story that was way ahead of it's time, and yet perfectly symbolizes the relationship of Hawthorne to his own world (of course, viewed that way, it becomes a little bit less, as though it were the standard "starving artist" story).

The point is that greatness in a work of art transcends issues of craftsmanship, like having a child speak like an adult (actually, this is supposed to symbolize Pearl's connection with Original Sin, because she is born of sexual impurity, she has the gift of unnatural knowledge), or more importantly, having a bunch of frontiersman pioneers speaking like ministers at a theological congress (this has no special literary significance--Hawthorne just thought people back then spoke like that because everyone literate wrote like that whenever they knew they were writing "for the ages").

It's not really implausible for a bright child of three or so to say things that mimic what the adults around them say (where do you think children learned to speak before the advent of Sesame Street?). But with Pearl, all her comments are laced with symbolism to show that she was not born innocent. Her name is actually rather ironic, being a biblical referance--most notably to the fact that she came at great cost to her mother, but also to her unique character, which cannot be appreciated by the uncouth common people around her.

Besides, the book is really about Dimmsdale and Chillingsworth, who play out the roles of secret sins, thus remaining unredeemed. Their pretense of moral purity is much more relevant to our modern world. We no longer even try to hide our acts, but instead pretend that they are not sin, that there is no "harm" in them. In a way our hypocrisy is both more subtle and more dangerous, even as the acts become more obvious and regulated.

But the fact is that few writers can be considered "Great" for all ages. "Great" art must transform the audience, which means that after the transformation is over, it is only "Great" in the historical sense (the same way that dead people are considered "Great", not because of anything they can do now, but because of what they once did). Only art that deals with universal themes of individuals lives, without comment or significant reference to the particular social/environmental milieu, can remain great for different generations, and even then only for a particular species (Dolphins might enjoy Shakespear, but I doubt they would consider him "Great", and the octopus neither enjoys nor appreciates human literature).

I probably don't actually agree with JOHN, but I'm not stupid enough to diss Hawthorne.

PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

- posted      Profile for PaganQuaker   Email PaganQuaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I don't know; did Hawthorne make Pearl speak the way she did because he wanted her to be a symbol of something? Maybe, I guess. Doesn't really work for me, or for a lot of other people in our time, but maybe it worked for some people at the time. It seems like there's a good chance, too, that Hawthorne made Pearl speak like an adult because he didn't have any serious experience of three-year-olds, or couldn't convincingly create three-year-old talk. Or maybe people weren't willing to put up with three-year-old talk in a novel for adults at the time.

I guess I don't think great literature is about themes, when it comes down to it. If you want to attribute themes to Shakespeare, they're pretty much stock ones. Romeo and Juliet redux is just: Boy and girl from feuding families meet, fall madly in love for no apparent reason (really! no justification is given for it), and then bad things happen to them until they die, except that they get to sleep together. The story is basically just a really excellent retelling of the ancient Greek tale of Pyramus and Thisbe, and yet _Romeo & Juliet_ still grabs people today (whereas nobody's doing new movie versions of Pyramus and Thisbe that I know of). I think Shakespeare just did such an excellent job of telling his stories that people can enjoy them despite the disparity of language and culture.

I'd definitely agree, though, that a story can kick butt in its own time and lose a lot of its punch in a different time and/or place.

Luc

Rahl22
Member # 1411

Survivor,

What you described it as was primarily the reason I did not like it. If I wanted to read propganda, I'd find a brochure. If I want to read a novel, I will--and I'll be sure it isn't Hawthorne.

And, <Mr.T>Who you callin' stupid, foo?</Mr.T>

JOHN
Member # 1343

I remember very little about it aside from major plot themes, but The Scarlet Letter was the first book I HAD to read in high school and actually liked. By far my favorite Hawthorne story is Young Goodman Brown. A lot of people believe the allegory was way to obvious, (“My Faith! My Faith is gone.”) but to me that’s what separates allegory from symbolism. Earth’s Holocaust was also a cool read. The new world order takes over and starts burning books. When was this written? . I could analyze The Minister’s Black Veil for years, and Rapacini’s Daughter was just entertaining reading.

Years before this thread popped up, I actually started my current novel with a quote from the story. (“Once upon a time—but whether in the time past or time to come is a matter of little or no moment...”) My female protagonist wears pink ribbons in her hair like Faith in Young Goodman Brown

I’m not trying to shove my opinion down your throats, but I’ve just always liked Hawthorne, and he’s an influence of mine. I have a collection of his short stories and I freely admit that a bit of his writing his mind numbingly dull, but when he’s on point, he’s on point. I’ve only read one of his novels, though and from what I can tell his short stories are far superior. IMNSHO.

JOHN!

Survivor
Member # 213

Rahl, "Great" literature is always propaganda. If it doesn't have the ability to change people's minds and hearts, then it just isn't great art. That's what "great art" means.

Of course, I recognize that you are trying to cheapen the concept of really powerful art by calling it "propaganda", and I agree that much of what people call "Great" art is in fact just propaganda that reflects their own agendas (which I mentioned before, if anyone ever bothered to read my posts). But if you've never read something (or heard a song, or seen a painting) and found that it really changed your perspective on something important, then why the heck do you care about whether art is "Great" or not?

As I mentioned before, I think that agonizing over "how can I create 'Great' art?" is pointless, since artists get paid for entertaining (or sometimes informative) art, not "Great" art (anyone that tries to make a living creating "Great" art is pretty much by definition a hack). Greatness in art is just something that happens when a work of art happens to communicate something profound to a lot of people. It's good that it happens, and it is definitly true that having a vibrant and active artistic community improves the quality of really great art, but the greatness itself is about what happens to the audiance, not the art itself.

P.S.--your comments dissing Hawthorne were stupid, though I didn't exactly say so. All I said was that I wasn't stupid enough to express those opinions myself. I apologize for any minsunderstanding caused by my overestimation of your intellectual capacity. In no way should you feel that I deprive you of the right to make idiotic comments whenever you please. If this apology does not please you, please inform me, so that I my make more extensive ammends, clarifying the pathetic state of mental incompetence I failed to notice in you when unguardedly making my earlier remarks, and raising everyone's awareness of the special needs that certain members of our community have

( means that I'm kidding, I am not going to attempt an extension of the above "apology")

Survivor
Member # 213

Serve me right for getting distracted. Great art is great because of what it does (or once did) to the community affected by it. But it is important to experience and study it because of what the community does to the art.

Communities naturally take powerful art, particularly narrative art (and a true story is the highest form of art, believe you me) and use it do define themselves. Yes, I know that Card has been through this a few thousand times (probably close to a hundred times in print, and he can't seem to talk for any length of time without touching on the subject), but this is a matter of neurophysiological fact. It may even be a matter of cybernetic fact (not general cybernetics, though, only sentient cybernetics).

Therefore, if you wish to understand a community (and most of the individuals in a community), then you have to experience and study the art that shapes the community's outlook. And that means, if you want to understand America, you have to study Hawthorne (along with a bunch of other jokers that no one has ever heard of). That's not the reason that they make you read The Scarlet Letter in school (the "education" establishment would rather use it to brainwash you), but it is a good reason for you to read it thoughtfully.

PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

I don't really go along with the idea that great art is propaganda. Propaganda is communication with an ulterior motive, designed to sway you to a different point of view by whatever means helps. Showing attractive, young, healthy people in cigarette ads is propaganda.

Great art is not propaganda because it doesn't have an ulterior motive. If it does have an ulterior motive, then it's by (my) definition, relative hack work. The difference is that propaganda stuffs its message down your throat whether you want it or not. Great art speaks its message (and don't take me to mean that it has one, specific literal message, but rather a whole underlying view of the world) as clearly and meaningfully as it can and hopes to take you along with it without trying to force itself on you.

The reason I go on about this is that it's important in writing: It's the distinction between carrying your reader on the story and manipulating your reader. For example, withholding something a reader should by rights know is manipulative (sez I).

Anyone want to continue this rant? I have some editing to do.

Luc

epiquette
Member # 1272

- posted      Profile for epiquette   Email epiquette         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if I am slightly changing the subject, but I have wanted to ask this for a long time.

What is so great about the short story 'Bears Discover Fire?' (Terry Bisson) IIRC, it is a Hugo award winner + year's best SF + included in OSC's Masterpieces + whatever else.

Sure, it seems a pleasant enough read, but standing back a bit, the whole thing is just silly: a story about bears on the highway median strip discovering fire. ??? What am I missing?

Erk

Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's the commentary that nothing startles people anymore, that even bears discovering fire is just another thing to 'go see.' I thought it was an important piece of science fiction because that's what sf is all about: wonder. Also, stepping into the world of the other, but that's something else entirely...
Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

*sigh*

Survivor,

You sound like a cynical, post middle-aged humanities professor.

I agree that it is futile to try to create great art. But not that all great art is propoganda. Both of these topics have been discussed already, however, and so I'm going to leave it at that.

Oh, and no matter how much you try to defend him, Hawthorne still sucks. Sorry.

DragynGide
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for DragynGide   Email DragynGide         Edit/Delete Post 
A great story is one that reflects some fascet of the human condition so truthfully and well that it resonates deeply with a wide audience.

Shasta

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
epiquette, why can't a story about bears discovering fire be great?

As I said before, there are many great sotries, but there are no great subjects.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 1512

Wow. Somehow, I'd completely forgotten about this thread.

What I didn't like about The Scarlet Letter was that it seemed to take the theme and club the reader over the head with it. It seemed like every page screamed, "Oh, the IRONY!" I wanted to shout, "Yes, I get it! Shut UP!"

However, it's the only thing by Hawthorne I've ever read. I'm not saying that Hawthorne sucks or anything like that. I just didn't care at all for The Scarlet Letter.

Survivor
Member # 213

Of course you don't like The Scarlet Letter, it was written over a hundred years ago for crying out loud.

The definition of "propaganda" is any systematic, widespread dissemination or promotion of particular ideas, doctrines, practices, etc. to further one's own cause or to damage an opposing one. If you are creating and disseminating art for a reason, then it is propaganda. If you have no reason for creating and disseminating it, then you will not create and disseminate it. If you do not create and disseminate it, then it cannot affect anyone, and therefore cannot be great art.

Therefore, all great art must first be propaganda.

The negative connotations of the word "propaganda" are well understood, which is why I usually choose to call important artwork "great art" rather than "propaganda", but the explicit meanings of the two terms are the same (or more specifically, the meaning of "propaganda" encompasses the meaning of "great art").

The only reason that I'm sounding like a "cynical, post middle-aged humanities professor" is because this is all stuff that they should have taught you in school (I know that they didn't, but that isn't my fault). I can't believe that a group of writers is even having this completely innane discussion (actually, I believe it, but that just makes me sad--perhaps I should say, "I can't both believe that a group of writers is even having this completely innane discussion and remain upbeat at the same time.")

Of course, DragynGide managed to come up with the textbook answer, so either the schools are doing better than I thought or she's just smarter than the rest of you

Okay, enough of that. This thread is making me act bitter and cynical. If there's anything better calculated to make an aspiring artist bitter and cynical than a bunch of other artists that evince no concept of the meaning of "great art"--a concept central to the community of all artists and particularlly central to narrative artists, for crying out loud--well, then I don't want to know what it is (I already do, in fact, know a few things that make me more bitter and cynical than this, but I'm not happy about knowing them).

Survivor
Member # 213

Note that I wasn't smiling when I mentioned how bitter and cynical I am about artists that don't know what the term "great art" means. I also wasn't smiling when I mentioned that there are things that make me even more bitter and cynical than this.
Jon Boy
Member # 1512

I don't think its age has anything to do with me liking or disliking it. Wasn't it actually written about three hundred years ago? Anyway, I like some things that are older than The Scarlet Letter.

If you're feeling too bitter and cynical, check out www.despair.com. It'll make everything brighter.

[This message has been edited by Jon Boy (edited November 21, 2002).]

Rahl22
Member # 1411

Survivor,

While you were so busy attempting to talk about peoples' heads on your soapbox, you managed to contradict yourself.

DragynGide's definition in no way incorporates your idea of propoganda. You can simply illustrate a facet of humanity, and cause that to resonate within people, without having a 'secret' motive.

I just don't understand your obsession with defining 'great art' so closely. If anything, the 20th century--the encounter with 'nothingness' as Barret calls it--was the birth of meaningful meaninglessness. When the 'dadaists' said that anything, even an old tire, was art and that 'great art' could be anything that means something to you.

So don't be sad that we 'evince no concept of the meaning of "great art"', instead be glad that we are still artists enough to have envisioned different meanings of it.

*prepares for the backlash*

Survivor
Member # 213

Do you even know what the definition of propaganda is? If you define it as involving a "secret motive", then how does anything that I've said about great art come under such a definition? This is not my defined art as "propaganda", it is you that called effective art "propaganda" in the first place. I merely pointed out that insofar as your use of the term was correct, it wasn't derogatory, and insofar as it was derogatory, it wasn't correct.

Even existentialist, surrealist, dadaist art is still about touching the audience and changing (or affirming) the way they percieve the world. "When the 'dadaists' said that anything, even an old tire, was art and that 'great art' could be anything that means something to you" is a perfect expression of what I'm talking about (actually, it is a very silly illustration of what I'm talking about, confusing epiphany with art, but still).

The very fact that you can't see the difference between a powerfully honest and truthful portrayal of reality that reshapes how an audience percieves it and a conscious effort to decieve makes me so bitter and cynical that I think you're merely amusing yourself at my expense by pretending to put on such a ridiculous display of non-sentient behavior.

Baiter's beware! That is a vile sin, and it be answered on your head at the last day. Nothing comes to nothing, and they that sow deceit shall reap the fruit of the east wind.

Rahl22
Member # 1411

On the contrary, I DO know what the definition of propaganda is. My use of the phrase 'secret motive' was merely an exaggeration of existing connotations, in order to make a point.

I can see the difference between a *clears throat*, "powefully honest and truthful portrayal of reality that reshapes how an audience percieves it and a conscious effort to decieve." And I'm saying that, for this particular interest, an old tire is more powerful, honest, and truthful than Nathaniel Hawthorne proved to be in "The Scarlet Letter".

By the way, my non-sentient behavior was not engineered to piss you off, but it IS a lovely side effect. I am positively amused.

Survivor
Member # 213

Brillient. He's amused by his own nonsentience. I'm so pleased.
Survivor
Member # 213

By the way, I checked out that despair.com site, and while it didn't make everything brighter, it certainly was as funny as hell...well, nearly as funny.

Nothing's as cynically amusing as the damned writhing in eternal agony as just punishment for their sins in life...if you enjoy cynical amusment, that is. And if you don't, well, too bad for you, cause hell isn't really funny on any other level

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
This'll probably date me, but does anyone remember a cartoon called Halto's Hell? I think that was the name. It was a one-panel cartoon that depicted what hell might be like for certain types of people. One I remember was for people who were chronically late; it showed people swinging by their hair as pendulums from giant clocks. (Strange what the memory dredges up from time to time.)
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ever think that writing is simply writing? I have sat through classes where we analyzed literature and writing and tried to decipher a writers "deeper" meaning.

Happy horse poopoo is what I say now. I think those writers, most writers, simply wrote the story they had to tell and nothing more. I don't set out to say well, I want to tell society this and that, and oh by the way I am going to use a black horse because it will symbolize and mean--- crapola--- those writers would probably laugh themselves silly at the analysis of their beliefs based on their fiction.

Great books are simply the ones people most identify with at the time they are written. And by reading a hundred year old work we get a look into how people thought and believed at that time.

Oh and BTW my daughter at 3 sounded like an adult. And I liked the scarlet letter.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

If you liked The Scarlet Letter, you might be safe from Survivor, Shawn.

Although, with all that 'writing is just writing' business, who knows.

p.s. It goes beyond 'sounding' like an adult. Perl reminded me of the girl from exorcist.

DragynGide
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for DragynGide   Email DragynGide         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... *blinks* Hrm. I certainly wasn't aware that what I was stating was a textbook definition. I hold a special loathing for english literary textbooks in general. Since everything I've learned about writing that I value has been from the fiction I've read, I don't find much use for them. What I said about great writing was simply what I feel that it is.

Though the part about being smarter than the rest of you... *chuckles* I really don't know about that.

Shasta

Kolona
Member # 1438

Some writers do plan to tell society certain things in allegorical form. Pilgrim's Progress comes to mind, and Vanity Fair, if I remember correctly, among others. I'm guessing a heavy-handed allegorical approach is just not too popular with some of us.

I can't recall which writer, but relatively recently I read of one who actually was laughing at what people read into his books. Still, allegory is one of a writer's tools. A mystery is always better with a thunderstorm.

(Hmmm. Maybe it was a local Cleveland cartoon.)

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited November 22, 2002).]

Survivor
Member # 213

That's why you should never use a work of literature to analyze the artist.

You analyze the work to find out why it appeals to the audience. Like the symbolism of Pearl reminding someone of a scene from The Exorcist (not a fan of The Excorcist myself, anymore than a fan of The Scarlet Letter). Perhaps Hawthorne simply didn't know how to do a realistic three year old (though I doubt it, he didn't live in an ivory tower or anything). But the fact is that Pearl is memorable on a number of different levels because she is a bit creepy, a bit too wickedly wise.

By the way, I'm not a particular fan of The Scarlet Letter either. I just don't have the unmitigated gall to question its place as a great work of art. The greatness of The Scarlet Letter is a historical fact, like the greatness of the Roman Empire (another thing I'm not fanatical about). To claim, "I don't see what was so great about the Roman Empire" would be a frank admission of stupidity, no matter how glad you personally are that Rome fell. The same is true of artwork that has shaped the course of history. I might not even like the way that The Scarlet Letter affected the world, but the fact of the matter is that it did.

Sorry that I didn't make this clear enough for some people to get on the first try. If you would all read my posts...well, you don't and that's not something I can change by posting about it (I might change it by sneaking into your rooms at night and rewiring your brains, though--don't think I'm never tempted, but I manfully resist that temptation).

Kolona
Member # 1438

I would wonder if this is not similar to an Emperor's New Clothes sort of thing, or a literary political correctness. Surely an individual can acknowledge the general appeal of a particular artwork while personally disagreeing with the conclusion of the audience. If we brand dissenters as stupid, we risk squelching independent thought.

An individual is part of the continuing audience, after all, and should be entitled to his opinion even if at odds with the popular thought stream. I know I risk the ire of many by not agreeing that Hemingway was a great writer, but to me he was a reporter first and foremost and wrote in bald reporter facts. I know the popular wisdom is that less was more in his case, but I say nothing was nothing. Other than The Old Man and the Sea, I am wholly unimpressed with his works, although I have to -- grudgingly -- acknowledge that he ranks among the greats.

It seems wise to me to ever entertain the thought that the group may be wrong and that sometimes we need the naive among us to state the obvious to wake up the rest of us. Or at least a challenging voice to get us to re-evaluate, to "analyze the work to find out why it appeals to the audience," and thereby better appreciate by proving to ourselves the greatness of time-tested literature--or not.

Rahl22
Member # 1411

Call it an outburst of unmitigated gall, but am I the only one that thinks the sentence "The greatness of The Scarlet Letter is a historical fact" is a mite silly? How can something like 'greatness' be a fact anyway?

The fact is, you agree with the majority in as far as calling it great. I don't think it was. I admit that it changed plenty of persepctives, and affected the world--but that doesn't make it great literature. Hell, "Green Eggs and Ham" changed peoples lives, but that certainly wasn't great either. "Mein Kampf" began a damned-near religion. But that was just propagandistic flummery as well.

PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

Hey, since when is Green Eggs and Ham not great literature? Bite your tongue!
JOHN
Member # 1343

I like the Scarlet Letter, and Hawethorne and I've said several times on this thread. But you're correct Rahl. Very little about art can be called fact. Art is subjective. I just think that Scarlet Letter was agood book, just like I think Enchantment (OSC) was a good book, or Pagan Babies (Elmore Leonard) was a good book, etc. The only thing that sets Scarelt Letter apart from the other two I mentioned was it's age. Who cares? I respect that it's held up for a long time, but I think English teachers are more to blame for that than Hawethorne himself.

So, even when talking about classic literature, the tem great is still subjective. The only reason I was so adamant about Hawthorne was because I truly like his work, and also I'm no narrow-minded enough to disregard other's pople's POV just because it conflicts with mine. I found I learn a lot more from those who disagree with me opposed to those who do even if I never come to agree with their opinion.

JOHN!

srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL

A person never learns from those who agree with them--no need to learn or change becasue they agree with you. I also learn a great deal from those who do not like my work, or do not agree with me---many times I learn that I do not want to be like that person or that I do not want to share their veiws, but it is learning none the less.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I've been lurking and watching this conversation for awhile. It's been interesting to say the least. Now I'm gonna throw my two cents in, for the two cents it is worth:

I think some folks are getting hung up between what they like and what is literature. I have no problem recognizing Henry James' or Hemingway's works as literature that has affected and inspired readers' world views. At the same time, I'd rather poke my eyes out with hot irons than read them again. This is a matter of personal preference...not a statement of the meaning, depth, or relevance of the works.

To say categorically that no writer intends the nuances or meanings read into them by students and instructors of English/American literature confounds me. How can you read Poe, or Melville, or Harriet Beecher Stowe and not recognize the deliberate use of symbolism, the metaphoric imagery? I have to assume that such a blanket statement was made for shock value, much as someone standing in the middle of the Guggenheim who wants to sound cooler than cool sniffs, "All modern art is crap that people pretend is art." Even when writing pure entertainment, as I assume most of us do, surely we incorporate layers of meaning as part of the writing process. Otherwise, the resulting story is all surface...fun to read, but not worth a re-read or even remembering.

That is not to say that some works that are today considered "great" were not simply intended to tell a story or entertain. Shakespeare is a good example. For the most part, he remade existing stories into then-modern plays to be performed, not with the goal of creating great literature, but to make money and achieve fame for his acting troupe. The language is beautiful and the stories richer in most cases than the source materials (i.e., the original King Lier vs. King Lear). But Shakespeare was the Stephen King...no, better...the John Woo of his day, focused on putting out bang-up entertainment with plenty of killing and love scenes and other sure-fire audience draws. This doesn't lessen the impact of his works, or the worthiness of studying them, but were they intentionally developed to be powerful, society affecting literature? No.

My point is, each work and its author's intentions should be evaluated on its own merits. All-encompassing statements like, "What is commonly recognized as literature was all deliberately written to be great" or "Literature is just another name for stories that people read depth into that wasn't intended" should be avoided.

So, disagree and discuss away. Certainly if a bunch of writers can't argue and counter-argue literature in intelligent, thought-provoking ways, we are in the wrong field!

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I'm going back to my first post on this subject.

None of you should be trying to write "Great" literature. For one thing, you're sure to fail miserably, whereas you might actually write something worthwhile or even great if you concentrate on being a writer first. Real writers use all the tools that "Great" writers use, but they use them for real, not for the sake of being "Great".

For another thing, at least half of you don't even know what "Great" writing is, and don't seem likely to ever learn, which would seem to make attempting to write "Great" literature even more futile than it already is. Since deliberately setting out to write "Great" literature is already nearly totally pointless, I can only assume that it would take a miracle of the first order for someone that doesn't have a concept of what "Great" literature is to succeed in deliberately writing something "Great".

It is more important to learn to be a good writer than a "Great" one.

Kolona
Member # 1438

Absolutely. I don't know of any of the "greats" who decided they were going to write "the great one" and then went and did it. Audience and time defined their efforts as great. All we can do, like them, is write.
Rahl22
Member # 1411

Survivor,

I don't know what spurned you in a past life--but you have no right to be such a judgemental pompous asshole.

quote:
at least half of you don't even know what "Great" writing is, and don't seem likely to ever learn

Can you even see through that slimy layer of filth you call a personality to read what you're writing? Who the hell are you to say what we do and do not know?

Of course no one should set out to write great literature, but no one here has said that that is what they were doing. Instead, we were having a discussion about what great literature is. However, I'd be willing to bet that there are several people who wouldn't agree with your definition of great literature, and have still managed to climb the ranks of the great.

For someone who is quite obviously not published, you shouldn't be giving such definitive advice and trying to belittle the half of us who 'have no idea what great literature is, and probably won't ever learn.'

p.s. Kathleen, I'm sorry about this. Delete this post, lock the thread, ban me, warn me. Do whatever you like. I'm finding very little holding me to this particular writing forum anyway.

Kolona
Member # 1438

I think if Survivor simply used "we" and "us" instead of "you" it would go over better. Since none of us have written the Great American (or whatever country we're in) Novel, we're all in the same boat.

We'd hate to lose you, Rahl.

DragynGide
Member # 1448

You know, it's kind of funny how two people can be in near perfect agreement and still be arguing like cats and dogs.

As I understand it, Survivor's point was that a well-written work incorporates its author's thoughts and opinions such that, when published, the book becomes propaganda whether the author intended it to be or not. A writer who writes truthfully and with his whole heart can't help but infuse his writing with those thoughts and opinions-- after all, they are part of himself, aren't they? I don't know about the rest of you, but I would certainly like for my writing, when published, to affect people such that they stop and think about what I've said. At its core, that really is propaganda. And it's one of the big reasons why I write. I've got something to say, and I'm hoping other people will listen and maybe even agree with me. And yet, everything I write is truthful and wholehearted. There is no secret motive. There doesn't need to be.

So, erm, if Survivor could find the courage to stop insulting people at every turn, and if Rahl could smoothe his feathers some, perhaps we could discuss this like civilized adults?

Shasta

[This message has been edited by DragynGide (edited November 25, 2002).]

Jon Boy
Member # 1512

Discuss something like civilized adults? Are you mad?!
DragynGide
Member # 1448

Of course, but that's beside the point. :P

Shasta

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.

I've been missing out on all of this because of a disagreement between my ISP and the Hatrack webserver, so I am just now chiming in on this discussion. (I think we've solved the disagreement problem, by the way.)

I'm not going to close the topic or shut anyone out because I think some valuable discussion is going on here.

I would like to ask people to remember that not everyone has the same sense of humor, and what one person considers witty and clever can be downright insulting to someone else.

You can make your point without passing judgments on and being snide about other participants in this and other Hatrack discussions. In fact, subtle little jabs at people, as well as not-so-subtle sneers, tend to detract from the impact of important points.

The points alone are enough to show the intelligence of the point maker.

That said, I have found all of the insightful points intelligent and useful in this topic. I would hate to see any of you stop posting here, because I have learned from what you all share.

Rahl, please continue to give us the benefit of your experience and understanding.

The same goes for Survivor.

And this goes for everyone: please also try not to be inflammatory.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
HopeSprings
Member # 1533

- posted      Profile for HopeSprings   Email HopeSprings         Edit/Delete Post 
I have greatly enjoyed this discussion - there is much to be learned from all and I appreciate your willingness (individually and collectively) to share your thoughts and ideas.

So, I thought I might take a chance and share one or two of mine.

I think that artists (in any medium) are expressing their beliefs, thoughts, feelings, opinions, needs, wants, desires, dislikes . . . you get the gist - and this is one of the important offerings artists make to their communities. Frequently, they are able to say, show, perform something that the community is otherwise unable or unwilling to face, express, look at -

Art can frequently shock the senses into a different way of perceiving the world - which is a critical problem solving tool. There is never one right answer to anything.

I think "great" art is art (written, painted, sculpted, sung, played - whatever medium you like) that continues to offer people new ways of seeing their world, therefore potential new ways of answering the questions the world poses - new tools. Art that continues to do this, could - I think - be termed "great".

That being said, we all perceive our world differently. And no one way is necessarily the right way - it's just a different way.

Thanks!

Posts: 70 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.