Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Holding information

Author Topic: Holding information
MrPopodopalus
Member # 1532

- posted      Profile for MrPopodopalus   Email MrPopodopalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I've been trying to write screenplay's for quite some time now, so please forgive this question.

I know for film, secrets are your best friend. The 'who, what, why, and how' questions keep an audience enthralled as you pull them from one scene to the next, but..
From the responses to my excerpt in 'Fragments and Feedback,' I gather that this is not exactly the case with material not indended for a visual medium?

So, how much do you really 'hold back' from the reader (assuming I'm not writing a detective novel)?

Posts: 23 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadow-x
Member # 1536

- posted      Profile for Shadow-x   Email Shadow-x         Edit/Delete Post 
That depends on a variety of reasons, such as what do you want the audience to know at at that point in the story? How clearly do you want the story to read, to flow? What kind of background to you want to offer? etc.
My advice would be: go with what feels right.
As for your story, the dream could work as the beginning if it were a prologue. Don't tell us it's a dream, just describe it. Then for your first chapter, use the opening paragraph of what you've already written.
Example: Prologue

"He drifted into the massive show floor of the furniture store..."

Chapter 1

"This was the third time in as many days Abraham Cohen could remember having the dream."

Posts: 47 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing you should understand about the strength of written work as opposed to visual material (like film) is that written work can provide inner thoughts and motivations without seeming hokey.

Visual work can't do this. Everything has to be implied or said or shown, and the viewer must guess at it all.

If you are going to write something to be read, capitalize on the strength of written material and make motivations clear.

You can be secret about anything else if you really need to be.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
PaganQuaker
Member # 1205

- posted      Profile for PaganQuaker   Email PaganQuaker         Edit/Delete Post 
There is one problem with secrets that I can think of that is most common in written work, and one that seems to me common to written and filmed work.

The one that's specific to written work (although it can occasionally be applied to film) is the problem of the reader feeling cheated. If you have a viewpoint character who tells the reader all about the embarassing thing that happened when they were nine and the texture of his shoelaces, it seems manipulative for that same character not to reveal his master plan for exposing the counterfeit beanie baby ring just for the author to drum up some suspense. In film this usually isn't the problem because (OK, Kathleen already pointed this out) you don't normally know the character's thoughts.

There is an analogue of this in film, though: An example of it is when a character whose perspective you've been sharing through much of the film sees something that is purposely hidden from the viewer. For instance, the character sees the murderer through a door, and gasps, "You!" The viewer can't see through the door because of the camera angle. Again, the danger is of making the viewer feel like information is being withheld that they would expect to have had if the writer weren't trying to force suspense.

The other danger, which seems as applicable to film as to writing, is that withholding information prevents the (screen)writer from being able to give all the interesting stuff to the viewer, so that the viewer loses interest. For instance, you could have a movie or story where an important (human) character is really an alien (granted, the idea is a little unoriginal in the first place), and gleefully write the whole thing, anticipating the reader/viewer's shock when the secret is revealed. But in the mean time the reader/viewer has no reason to care about the story unless the story is about the mystery of why Mr. Hooper, who otherwise seems so normal, eats borax with a spoon when nobody's looking.

The shorter version of the second paragraph is this: beware the story that's dependent on a plot twist at the end, because by the time you get to the exciting twist, you may have lost your audience. Not that this can't be pulled off occasionally.

Hope some of that was of some interest.

Luc

Posts: 380 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Luc is right. Simply put, if you want to keep the audience in suspense, then you must also keep the POV character in suspense as well. If the POV character does not share the readers' suspense, then they will cease to care about him.

I cannot stress how much more important it is that the readers identify with the POV character than any degree of suspense you could possibly force. Likewise (although the rule is less hard and fast with film), a character that the audience is expected to sympathize with should remain in suspense whenever the audience is in suspense. Of course, the suspense does not have to come from having an identical point of view. For instance, if the character is acting according to some plan, the audience doesn't have to know the exact plan as long as there is enough danger or uncertainty for the character to share the sense of suspense.

Even in writing a detective novel, it is cheating for the POV character to know anything that is not revealed to the audience. This is one reason that all the Sherlock Holmes stories are written from Dr. Watson's perspective (the other main reason is so that Holmes can be portrayed by an admirer other than himself). One reason that the classic denouement/confrontation scene works is because the detective still has to confront the suspects with the evidence that he has collected before he can be certain of the guilty party, so that the reader is able to discover the information at the same moment that the POV character learns it. Another device is the trap to catch the villain red handed, which accomplishes the same purpose (although this scene, unlike the former, can be used plausibly for other dramatic purposes).

Anyway, sympathy over suspense--rah rah rah!

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
MrPopodopalus, here's a little addendum to Survivor's excellent advice: the main problem you can run into here is if you are writing in first person. First person stories ought to be about discovery. That's why so many detective novels are set in first person. If a first person hero knows something important, such as his own secret plan for defeating the villain, the identity of the murderer, the location of the hidden treasure, etc. then you must tell your reader.

You can avoid this trap in third person. A moment before your hero make an important discovery or formulates his secret plan, you can jump into the POV of another character. This could be the hero's love interest, the villain, the best friend, the judge, emperor of the Galaxy, whatever. Thus you get to build suspense by holding back information, the reader doesn't feel cheated, and everyone is happy.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not happy...well, at least I try not to act like it.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.