Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Utopia and Social Engineering (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Utopia and Social Engineering
MrPopodopalus
Member # 1532

- posted      Profile for MrPopodopalus   Email MrPopodopalus         Edit/Delete Post 
I do recall a particular case study, that being the discovery and study of "Genie" in 1970. Interesting, I guess.

Do you so object to the nurture over nature school because it would throw quite a cog in your silly little Nietzschean idea of the 'Ubermensch'? (of which you've quite proudly alluded to several times here)? I suppose if I found out I was a horrible, disagreeable little person by choice rather than by design I would object as well.

I can't wait for the response.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Veiled insults are insults still, and yours wear a thin veil indeed, MrP.

I don't object to the nurture over nature school at all, as it so happens and as anyone that has actually read my posts will attest. I do reject the idea that human nature is infinitely malleable, that there is no such thing as nature at all. It is a patentely silly idea. No amount of time raising a human child among chickens will ever teach it to lay eggs.

I more particularly object to intellectual dishonesty, which is what this is mostly about now. You make ad hominem arguments, play with the straw man, cite irrelevant sources, use red herrings, and so forth with a sort of practiced ease that makes me wary indeed of believing anything you have to say. Nonetheless, I have actually read everything that you have posted here.

By the way, I don't embrace the Nietzschean ideal of "Der Ubermensch" at all, as you would know if you actually read my posts (I rather suspect that you do know, and simply hope to persuade those that have not read my posts on the subject--but that's a dark thing to suspect, isn't it?).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, now. let's play nice.

Why are you two antagonizing each other? And please don't claim "he did it first!" or "he did it worst!" Neither one of you is making a good argument.

This argument sounds very familiar. It is exactly the type of argument that computer scientists and philosophers have been fighting for years. The question of whether or not humans have "instincts" is very much like the qiestion of whether of not computers can "know" anything.

The problem, made evident by the last six or seven posts, is that "instinct" is a poorly defined concept. It belongs on the list with know, intelligence, idea, think, meaning, and understand. We use these words to describe what's going on inside our brains (and the brains of animals). We have only vague ideas (whatever that means) of what they mean. We don't really know what we're doing when we know something (whatever that means).

Once we understand (whatever that means) the workings of the brain, we'll be able to come up with new words that will better describe our mental processes. Then the question of whether humans have instincts or computers understand meanings will be irrelevant.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Anyway, to get back to the topic of feral children (which is actually a very interesting topic), Jeannie (or Genie or whatever) was a very interesting but not the most interesting case. Although horrifically abused for years by an insane parent, she did have some contact with humans. I'm more fond of the cases of wolf children (which actually does happen) because they're so...interesting.

It really does demonstrate how limited instinct really is.

Survivor
Member # 213

Well, as for how this progressed...

He said, "FYI, human beings have absolutely no instincts. That is to say, no single behavioral pattern that we cannot control. Often people confuse...."

I said, "If you define instinct as meaning only a "behavioral pattern that we cannot control" and then define all involuntary reactions as "physiological response"...."

He said, "I do so love to debate ...Perhaps one of the 10 smartest people I've ever met was a professor of humanities I once had. He taught..hmm...entry level World Civilizations, a generic freshman course. But, he also had earned his j.d. from Harvard and a PhD in neurophysiology -- to say he was brilliant would probably be an understatement. Anyway, one of the things he did...."

I said, "As I said before, the reason that his "challenge" is unbeatable is because he has defined instinct as something else."

He said, "...Dr. Werrant, my ex-professor (though I do consider him my still friend) has been awarded the Gellhorn prize in Neurophysiology, an American....In fact, may I ask your background? I highly doubt you've had anything remotely close as those awards, or the training in the particular field."

I said, "MrP, your Dr. Werrant is just being intellectually dishonest to gratify his own ego. You have noticed that he has one, haven't you?"

He said, "I've at least researched -somewhat- the topic, and, have talked to someone who's recognized in the field as an expert. You, on the other hand, are as narcissistic a person as I've never met."

I said, "Intellectual dishonesty can afflict anyone (even me) which is why thinking persons must analyze the internal logical consistency of statements rather than 'taking them on authority.'"

He said, "Here's a definition for anyone that still cares, though. I hope it's up to Survivor's amazing standards.
http://28.1911encyclopedia.org/I/IN/INSTINCT.htm

I said, "Sheesh, MrP, did you actually read this?"

He said, "I found it rather clear, actually."

I said, "Did you read the part where...." (to paraphrase, I pointed out that the "scientific" definition he dug up doesn't support the postion his precious Dr. Warrent takes)

He said "Whereas I've gone out and researched the topic and cited my sources and attempted to be civil, you've done exactly the opposite....Do you so object to the nurture over nature school because it would throw quite a cog in your silly little Nietzschean idea of the 'Ubermensch'?"

I said, "Veiled insults are insults still, and yours wear a thin veil indeed, MrP."

And that should bring us up to the current moment (for anyone that wants the substantive arguments rather than the insults, you'll just have to read the previous page [by the way, humans do have instincts]).

You're right Doc, though I would say the problem is that the definition Dr. Warrent uses is ridiculous on the face of it. I think that your wrong to say it belongs in the catagory of "know, intelligence, idea, think, meaning, and understand." All of those are abstract concepts that cannot be defined in a non-self-referencial way. Philosophers tend to imagine that you can understand an instinct without having that instinct (though if language and logic itself are the result of instinct rather than cognition, I guess it does belong in the same catagory with those concepts).

Survivor
Member # 213

By the way, I didn't insult him personally until well after he had begun to insult me. I was just saying that, "because 'Dr. Warrent' said so" isn't a valid argument (outside of Dr. Warrent's...I mean Werrant's--I swear I wasn't doing that on purpose--classroom).

By the way, if cognitive science is to make any headway at all, we're going to have to assume that there are "hardwired" tendancies for our brains to develop in certain ways. Otherwise, we're stuck with "emergence theory"--the idea that if something gets complex enough, it spontaineously makes the leap to cognition. This may well be true (though I haven't noticed anyone communicating with thunderstorms and the like ), but it doesn't help us further our understanding of the fundamentals of cognition to throw up our hands and say "there aren't any fundamentals!"

Heck Doc, I've insulted you (and vice versa--actually I feel that you've been more insulting ) more than I've insulted MrP.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Survivor, how dare you say that!

Now I feel insulted! And I feel it so very much more than you do!

See my point?

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited December 11, 2002).]

Shadow-x
Member # 1536

- posted      Profile for Shadow-x   Email Shadow-x         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor and MrPopodopalus--both of you are very proud and have very strong opinions, no doubt about that. Originally, both your arguments were valid. In the later arguments, I got lost in the insults you two threw at each other, and failed to see what points you made.

I've lurked over a year, and I've read your posts. While you may not know me at all, I know you both a little bit, and from what I know I respect.
Seeing all this "flaming" causes negative emotions in you two, hurts the forum, and detracts from the purpose people come here for (to become better writers). And I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with feeling anger, or other feelings, but there's a place and time for it.

I'm not going to recommend anything, except to just let it go. If you two want to apologize to each other and "kiss and make up" that's up to you.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I'm not really big on kissing men (I've never even kissed Doc--Mr. Jane Austin fan club).

I actually don't mind having a discussion about human instincts, and what counts as an instinct and what doesn't, and in fact I don't even mind a discussion of whether humans have instincts (though I think it's a silly question, on the order of "do humans have neural tissue"). I only seriously objected to the idea that we must bow down to Dr. Werrant's superior intellect which we dare not question (right now I'm really hoping that MrP isn't secretly Dr. Werrant, because in that case I have gotten pretty personal with him...but I swear I didn't know--actually, I don't see any reason that he would secretly be Dr. Werrant...).

Anyway...:furious racking of brain for way to get back to original topic:

I guess that this whole little contretempts illustrates one of the basic tensions in establishing a Utopia. How do you preserve the right of the individual to question authority without inciting the overthrow of society?

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Great segue, Survivor. Good thought.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
HopeSprings
Member # 1533

- posted      Profile for HopeSprings   Email HopeSprings         Edit/Delete Post 
Frontal lobotomies spring to mind as ways in which to ensure the purity of one's utopia.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
DeviantOperant
Member # 1548

- posted      Profile for DeviantOperant   Email DeviantOperant         Edit/Delete Post 
Utopia is hell.

Think about it, Utopia is the place where you get the greatest feeling of enjoyment and tranquility while receiving the least amount of stress.

Humanity is slowly spiraling towards Utopia. Every generation is finding ways to make life as easy as possible for the next. Utopia may not be reached for a long time but, it is an impending shadow waiting at the end of the tunnel.

So, you want to know what Utopia is...?

Utopia is your birthbed and deathbed. Utopia is you in a pitch black room, feeling no stimulation at all other than the orgy of pleasures coupled with the overtones of a neverending cycle of selfishness; not selfishness born not out of some sort of spite...selfishness because it is also selflessness when you are no longer needed in any way.

Utopia is all you ever wanted...and absolutely nothing standing in the way of it.

Utopia is our fate. Humanity's desire for knowledge will rocket us towards this nondescript cage of ecstacy. Once we know everything (which will happen at some point) and have found the way to cage ourselves in, we will.

Humanity's virus is cureable. I have stated the cure right here in fact! But to make it as easy as possible for you (which is what you really want, isn't it), the cure is to not make things easier! Put sown your books and look for no more answers, no higher knowledge.

...But you won't do that
...will you?

[This message has been edited by DeviantOperant (edited December 13, 2002).]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I'm not sure I get exactly what you're saying with that last bit, "Humanity's virus is cureable. I have stated the cure right here in fact!"

Are you saying that 'humanity, the virus, is curable," that, "the virus afflicting humanity is curable," or are you saying that something else entirely is curable?

I think that the phenomenon that DevOp is referring to in the first part of his message is the accelerating development of information-industrial capacity in our world taken as a whole, which will result in technological progress becoming effectively "instantaneous" sometime within the next century. This means that--for some group of individuals--any practical effect that can be desired can be realized by developing technology as quickly as it can be "imagined" (here implying a computer aided form of the design/development cycle).

This is termed a "singularity" event by some researchers into the history of technology, in that it causes a mathmatical discontinuity in the curves denoting technological development, material wealth, information processing capabilities, and all related social phenomena (from home schooling rates to marriages to quality of life to international politics). Because of the fact that all our previous models of these trends become mathmatically invalid at the singularity point, it is impossible for conventional models to predict what will happen to society, except that the changes will be radical and far reaching. If so then "DeviantOperant" might be a clever referance to the mathmatical aspects of the phenomenon.

I don't believe that we'll reach the singularity point. Technological advances are increasing the stress factors for war, terrorism, and other more fundamental forms of social collapse even as they move us towards the singularity point. I predict a general collapse in the world economy brought on by a combination of war, terrorism, revolutions, and national failures (What's happening in Venezuela right now is a good example of a mild social collapse, if you're wondering), probably within the next thirty years. This will severely curtail technological development, even leading to a loss of basic advanced research capability as well as the most infrastructure intensive advanced technologies as more resources need to be devoted either to feeding or fighting the hoards of humanity cut off from advancement by progressive failure of social order worldwide.

However, this is admittedly only a theory. One way or another, most of us will live to see the issue decided for ourselves.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

DeviantOperative said:

quote:
Utopia is all you ever wanted...and absolutely nothing standing in the way of it.

I think this is a bad definition. As was discussed in the "creating a sport" thread, people want to have goals. People want to strive for those goals.

Would golf be more fun if the balls hit themselves into the holes perfectly every time, and the human golfer need not show up at all? Would chess be more fun if a supercomputer made all the moves for both players as quickly as possible, never making a mistake, and bringing every game to a draw in a fraction of a second?

Of course not.

As far as I'm concerned, Utopia has to be a fun place. And I can't have fun unless I've got some challenges. I might not want to go to an office for eight hours every day, but I would like to have something challenging and interesting to occupy my mind.

Survivor said:

quote:
This is termed a "singularity" event by some researchers into the history of technology, in that it causes a mathmatical discontinuity in the curves denoting technological development, material wealth, information processing capabilities, and all related social phenomena (from home schooling rates to marriages to quality of life to international politics).

I find this very interesting! Can you point me to a book or website where I might learn more about this concept?

Survivor said:

quote:
Technological advances are increasing the stress factors for war, terrorism, and other more fundamental forms of social collapse even as they move us towards the singularity point.

That's one point of view. My point of view does not place responsibility for these stress factors on technological advancement. Rather, these stress factors are caused by the inability / unwillingness of First World nations to abandon the Dark Ages view of personal responsibility and embrace the more realistic view of causality.

Humans are nothing more than complex machines. We will get out of a human what we put into it. Unless every human on the face of the Earth is provided a high quality education, we will continue to have war, terrorism, and social collapse. Sadly, Americans are more a part of the problem than the solution, so the world will have to look to another nation to save us all.

Survivor
Member # 213

Ah, yes, the B.F. Skinner idea of moving "Beyond Human Dignity" and all that.

The problem is that if you regard humans as nothing more than complex machines, there is ultimately no reason to care about Utopia at all. After all, if humans actually don't have free will, then slavery is indistinguishable from liberty. If our sense of personal individuality is an illusion, than so are happiness or misery.

Let me do a search for singularity sites, there should be a few...here we are SingularityWatch.com (these goobers don't have a links page )
Extropy.com (who thought up their domain name, I wonder)
Some joke page about Vernerean Singularities and so forth
Singularity.org (I think this is the scariest web page design ever--almost as scary as the Tagament commercial where the Earth is destroyed by some kind of supernova or something).

I don't really think that the field is worth doing that much research in. After all, even if we accept your (and Skinner's) thesis that humans are ultimately programmable machines, there still remains the fact that we have no programmers (except for a small minority of the programmed machines that think their own programming is sufficiently advanced to allow them to program all the other machines successfully--and as you point out, the majority of the other machines [particularly those now in control of the resources needed for programming all the machines] are currently programmed to actively resist any attempt to implement a coherent strategy of programming all the machines). Combined with the fact that there is no compelling reason to reprogram the machines if they are really just machines (whereas on the other hand, if they are not just machines then reprogramming them all would be an atrocity of the first magnitude), I don't see how you can get from here to there without Divine intervention.

Survivor
Member # 213

I have to defend my statement that technological progress is the root stressor. After all, why would it matter that "Enlightenment" cultural attitudes are oppossed to behavioralism if they weren't the very ones that have developed most of the technology? How could overpopulation, war, terrorism, polution, et al ever become global threats without technology? Make no mistake, "to err is human, to screw up bigtime requires a computer!" is more than a funny caption to paste to the side of your desktop. 'Tis a fundamental insight into the basic character of the crisis that faces us.

In times past, human mistakes were limited by the power of an individual human. Now, they are becoming less and less bounded. One of the greatest problems of the modern world, the vast inequities in material wealth that many claim drive most domestic and international strife, are an inevitable result of technology, and would be impossible without it. The most powerful nation on Earth a hundred years ago depended more on the number and quality of its soldiers than on the superiority of its weapons. Today, our situation is entirely the opposite. Our soldiers depend entirely on technological superiority to win without expenditure of life. Even their relatively high quality is very dependent on technologies that allow them to be trained to a superior level.

At the same time, technology cannot be controlled. We cannot 'abolish' the Bomb, or the computer virus, or lethal engineered viruses, or any of the other perils that threaten to destroy us...because the technology has gotten free, and is begining to replicate and evolve independently of its creators.

The lady or the tiger? We can't know until we walk through the door...and then it is too late.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

quote:
After all, if humans actually don't have free will, then slavery is indistinguishable from liberty. If our sense of personal individuality is an illusion, than so are happiness or misery.

First, Skinner and I agree on almost nothing.

Second, I never said that humans don't have free will, only that we have a very poor understand of free will. I do believe in free will, however I disbelieve the Catholic interpretation of "causeless volition." We live in a cause-and-effect clockwork universe. The human brain is not an exception to causality. This does not mean that I am a determinist. The human brain will never be predictable, any more than the weather will be predictable. I can live with the concept of stochastic universe.

quote:
In times past, human mistakes were limited by the power of an individual human. Now, they are becoming less and less bounded.

I absolutely agree. The human race is becoming less and less fault tolerant. We already live in a time when even minor misbehavior (e.g. driving while intoxicated) can have terrible consequences.

This is a part of my Utopia. Imagine a world in which the poorest homeless person has personal control over to a thousand thermonuclear missiles. Personal responsibility is a very serious thing, and people cannot make mistakes, period.

If you have that picture in mind, stretch it out three generations later. At the time of my story, personal responsibility is much, much more serious than that.

I have great faith in the human race. I think it's possible to reach a time when no one will ever make a serious mistake every again. I'm certainly not claiming that my story will actually come to pass, only that it's an interesting story worth telling.

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited December 27, 2002).]

Shadow-x
Member # 1536

- posted      Profile for Shadow-x   Email Shadow-x         Edit/Delete Post 
I checked out one of the links about "singularity"

I learned, a while ago, how information and technology are expected to accelerate at an exponential curve, if they haven't already yet. Is that what the singularity is talking about? What else is the theory trying to explain? What's it primary thesis?

Posts: 47 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

quote:
I have great faith in the human race. I think it's possible to reach a time when no one will ever make a serious mistake every[sic] again.

Human nature and history prove such a thing isn't possible without the Divine intervention of which Survivor spoke. The sort of people this scenario demands is an unemotional Spock-like breed--true human machines. But to say people "are nothing more than complex machines" is to deny the soul, and now we're definitely into faith and God.

The word "serious" is interesting here. That means they're making lesser mistakes, yet enough lesser mistakes in the right pattern can easily lead to immense repercussions. Also, the adage that he who is not honorable in the smallest transactions will be dishorable in larger ones would make this unrealistic. And who decides what is serious?

quote:
Imagine a world in which the poorest homeless person has personal control over to a thousand thermonuclear missiles....If you have that picture in mind, stretch it out three generations later.

Wow. And there are those who don't even trust the people with regular guns. The world wouldn't last those three generations, I dare say. How could anyone feel secure in such an environment? Each person individually armed for personal/family safety is one thing; everyone with the capacity to annihilate the world is another.

(Although why there are poor homeless people in a utopia eludes me, but I haven't been closely following this thread and you've probably explained it.)

quote:
We will get out of a human what we put into it.["it"?] Unless every human on the face of the Earth is provided a high quality education, we will continue to have war, terrorism, and social collapse. Sadly, Americans are more a part of the problem than the solution, so the world will have to look to another nation to save us all.

I don't care how much education the people get, the often great gulf between common sense and higher education would certainly enter in here. The disparity of natural talents, too, could spark envy and all its attendant evils even among the highly educated, not to mention passion.

America is not a panacea, but it's the best thing this Earth has seen--though the farther it strays from its founding principles the less likely it is continue so. And, although it eludes me where the United States has been commissioned to do it, can you really even imagine one of the present other nations "saving" anyone? This is the type of thinking that causes people to look to ET for deliverance and to ignore a God who demands personal responsibility and accountability.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited December 17, 2002).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Doc, I think that you're confusing the idea of predictability with determinism.

Basically, if I "know" you well enough, then I can predict what you will likely do in any given situation (hence the term, "man, I don't even know you anymore" for a friend that begins to behave in an unfriendly manner). This does not imply that you do not have free will, only that your free will is not a completely random process.

On the other hand, when I throw a single die, I cannot predict what the result will be. This does not mean that the die has "free will", the outcome is simply a result of complex but deterministic physics.

The essential difference is that if I understand physics well enough, then I can determine the outcome of a die roll--not merely predict it--by controlling all the physical factors that lead to the outcome. Whereas I cannot determine (meaning cause) you to choose a certain course by controlling all your physical factors. Even if I force your body (and even your mind) to obey me, your will may resist--such that the moment I relax my physical control over you, you begin to rebel against me. As you say, if humans have no such volitional element in them, they are just machines--simulacra--and it doesn't matter whether they are happy or sad, slave or free, because all of that is just an illusion.

As for your last statement:

quote:
I have great faith in the human race. I think it's possible to reach a time when no one will ever make a serious mistake every again.
I can't see how this jibes with the idea that you have the heroine falling in love with the wrong man. That's a pretty egregious mistake.

Now of course, you might say that this is not a world threatening mistake, but ultimately it is. If women in your Utopia tend to reward "cheating" behavior (and what this guy does is essentially cheating, because he seeks an outcome without regard to the rules of the system) then very quickly you have a situation where cheating behavior predominates. That sort of "ends justify the means" thinking inevitably leads to open conflict when enough people embrace it, and no system (except one in which all the cheaters are kept in virtual bondage) can survive it.

Shadow-x, go ahead and check out all of them. Singularity researchers are disproportionately represented on the web, and by the by also tend to be fairly intelligent. I may think that they're missing the bigger picture (namely that the singularity probably won't happen) but the reasoning they use is largely valid, merely incomplete because they fail to account for the fact that advanced technology in human hands is unspeakably dangerous.

By the way Kolona, remember that the Vulcans are the survivors of the galactic civil war that destroyed the rest of their civilization Even for them, it would be impossible. Doc didn't really mean literal homeless people (in his Utopia if you fall below the "poverty" line [which is set pretty high] then the machines take over your personal finances and such), and he didn't mean literal nukes, only that every citizen has access to that level of power.

Oh, and God happens to be an Extraterrestrial

Kolona
Member # 1438

Ah. So a bag lady would live out of a suitcase in the best hotels.
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Yes, Kolona. Something like that, anyway.

quote:
But to say people "are nothing more than complex machines" is to deny the soul, and now we're definitely into faith and God.

Ah yes, we are. The biggest question in my book is about the existence of God. The second biggest question in my book is about the nature of free will. I need to create my hypothetyical "Utopia" to ask these questions.

FWIW my characters never refer to it as Utopia. From their perspective their world is far from perfect, even though from our perspective here in 2002 their world will seem like a very appealing place. Or I should say it will seem very appealing if I do a good job writing it. That's far from a certainty!

Survivor said:

quote:
As you say, if humans have no such volitional element in them, they are just machines--simulacra--and it doesn't matter whether they are happy or sad, slave or free, because all of that is just an illusion.

This touches on the 64 dollar question: does the human brain obey the laws of physics, or is our free will controlled by what the Catholics call "causeless volition?"

Is it possible to build a machine, like HAL 9000, or C-3PO, or Data, that is capable of acting like a human? Once you can no longer distinguish the machine's behavior from a human, how do we know it doesn't have free will?

In my story, there are characters in both camps.

Kolona
Member # 1438

Do you already have the answers to all these questions?
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Kolona, in the real world these questions are still open for discussion, although many people do believe that it is possible, given sufficiently advanced technology, to build a HAL 9000 type AI. So the first question sometimes generates considerable argument.

I have included such machines in my story, which I believe to be set sufficiently far into the furture. So my fictional answer to the first question is "yes, it is possible to build a machine that behaves like a human."

However, in my story the question of whether machine free will is equal to human free will is not settled. So my fictional answer to the second question is "no, we don't know whether or not such a machine has free will."

Kolona
Member # 1438

I was wondering if you were starting with a set premise which the characters will "discover" during the course of the story or if you were using the story as a personal quest for answers--particularly in regard to the biggest question you pose, regarding the existence of God.

quote:
from our perspective here in 2002 their world will seem like a very appealing place.

That's a toughie. Just quickly scanning this thread, I see several very different ideas of utopia, which suggests one person's utopia is another's society ripe for change. And if the people think their society is imperfect, are there avenues for change or is the society static?

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Yes, Kolona. In my story changing is very easy. Because living space is always being generated faster than the population is growing, there are always several "New Worlds" available where the dissatisfied can set up a new society.

But that's not really important. The main reason I expect readers to view my world as Utopia is that it's a fun place. No one has to work unless they want to work. Everyone's job is to enjoy their life as much as possible. Everyone is physically attractive and well educated. Life spans are very long.

In a nutshell, if you are the poorest person in my milieu you can live the life of James Bond (without bad guys trying to kill you). You can ride in luxurious cars and airplanes, and stay at luxurious hotels while being pampered in opulent decadence.

Thanks to technology, education is very efficient and easy. Want a Masters Degree in Quantum Mechanics? No problem, it just takes a month or two of part time study. Hint: The "rapid education" aspect of my world is one secret to its success, but also its greatest moral conundrum. Is it possible to teach anything to anyone without engaging in questionable morality?

Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
Doc,
What about conflict? If everything is so perfect in your world what do the chracters struggle with and how do they grow?

Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Marianne, haven't you been following the discussion?

I like the psychotronic ethical dilemna that Doc raises. When does the ability to persuade by means of technology become the power to coerce outright? How can there be individual worth in a society that can remake the individual into anything desired?

What is a "soul" when your behavior is ultimately determined by flat out programming?

I've mentioned elsewhere (don't know where, exactly) that we're much closer to integrating a computer into a human brain than reaching human level AI. I believe that it is inherently unlikely that AI's (as such) would ever need to be developed, given that it is easier to immortalize a human and give them a mind/machine interface. If you wanted to simulate the function of an actual brain...let's see.

About a hundred billion neurons, right? Then there are approximately a couple of hundred synapses for each...though individual neurons can have on the order of 10.000. That takes us up to probably 20 trillion gates, with a couple of hundred bits per second along each snyapse...say 4,000,000,000,000,000 bps, carrying the equvalent of several trillion instructions per second, many of them analog functions that would require floating point representation...to heck with it. I say leave intelligence where it lies, and just accessorize

Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
QUOTE: "I believe that it is inherently unlikely that AI's (as such) would ever need to be developed, given that _it is easier to immortalize a human_ and give them a mind/machine interface." (emphasis mine)

whatever gave you that idea?!

TTFN & ?

Cosmi

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Survivor, I've gotta call you on the same point that Cosmi did. Your belief seems illogical to me, but that may merely be because I don't understand your perspective. As it is relevant to my book, I'd be interested in hearing about your perspective.

My perspective, from years of experience in Business Process Reengineering, is that we are getting closer and closer to a world where machines do all the non-cognitive work, leaving humans to do the cognitive work. We see it in factories, hospitals, even fast food joints.

The economic pressure to develop machine cognition is very strong. Machines that could recognize faces, hold meaningful conversations, care for the elderly and infirm, drive automobiles, and fly airplanes would be very valuable. It may indeed be possible to somehow "immortalize" humans, but I don't see how that reduces the economic pressure for robotic truck drivers.

Survivor
Member # 213

Okay, basic cellular biology time...naw, just kidding Take it on faith, unless you want to wade through the research (if you do, look for information on telomeres, telomerase, and so forth). At any rate, it is certianly more plausible that we will develop drugs that indefinately extend human life than that we'll ever figure out how consciousness actually works.

To answer the other side of the question, we are already medically able to augment or replace both lost sight and hearing by direct stimulation of the neurons in the brain, and we have decoded the signals that precede conscious gross motor function (translation, we can hook you up to a sensor that can tell you are about to lift your arm or extend your toes before you actually do so). We have devised a number of electronic implants that can be used to identify or track particular animals (including humans) and know that they are safe and reliable.

Machines don't need cognition to handle face and voice recognition with greater accuracy than is possible for normal humans. And they don't need advanced cognition for anything else, once humans are equiped the devices to allow direct control via neural implants.

I stress that we already have working technologies that allow direct interface between a machine and a human brain. We already have machine technologies that allow accurate face and voice recognition (as well as machines that can drive, fly, and moniter [but not "care for"] the elderly and infirm).

We also have experimental confirmation that it is possible to immortalize human cells, such that they continue to repair and replicate themselves indefinitely. And there is active research on developing immortality drugs.

Trust me on this, we are closer to neuro-cybernetic implants and immortality drugs than we are to self aware computers. I don't believe that we are going to reach either, as I have mentioned before, but that is an opinion, not a scientific fact (I do happen to believe that it will become a historical fact, but I have no proof...yet).

Cosmi
Member # 1252

Survivor, check out this article dated May of 2002: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa004&articleID=0004F171-FE1E-1CDF-B4A8809EC588EEDF

from the article:
"Telomeres, the repeated sequence found at the ends of chromosomes, shorten in many normal human cells with increased cell divisions. Statistically, older people have shorter telomeres in their skin and blood cells than do younger people.53,54 In the animal kingdom, though, long-lived species often have shorter telomeres than do short-lived species, indicating that telomere length probably does not determine life span.55,56,57 Solid scientific evidence has shown that telomere length plays a role in determining cellular life span in normal human fibroblasts and some other normal cell types.58 Increasing the number of times a cell can divide, however, may predispose cells to tumor formation.59,60 Thus, although telomere shortening may play a role in limiting cellular life span, there is no evidence that telomere shortening plays a role in the determination of human longevity."

TTFN &

Cosmi

Cosmi
Member # 1252

oh, and about the collaborators on the project:

"The purpose of this document is to warn the public against the use of ineffective and potentially harmful antiaging interventions and to provide a brief but authoritative consensus statement from 51 internationally recognized scientists in the field about what we know and do not know about intervening in human aging. What follows is a list of issues related to aging that are prominent in both the lay and scientific literature, along with the consensus statements about these issues that grew out of debates and discussions among the 51 scientists associated with this paper."

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Well, Survivor, I'm afraid we've reached anpother point where we need to agree to disagree. Cognition is another word to which you see to assign some "sacred" meaning.

You previous post seems to say: "Even if Artificial Cognition were possible, no one would build it because human immortality would make it useless." The two are so unrelated that it's like saying no one would bother to build houses after we've invented the telephone. It's such a silly argument that I'm going to assume I misunderstood you.

The practicality or value of human immortality is irrelevant to this discussion. I have not made any claims about that subject either way. I'll eagerly grant that the market for products that granted immortality would be enormous. They would surely be the most sought-after products in the world.

If you have some evidence which describes the nature of self-awareness and explains why we are so far from achieving it in a machine, I'd like to see it.

But more importantly, if you have some evidence that there would be no market for robotic trucks and wheelchairs and airplanes and cashiers and waiters I'd like to see that, too.

Survivor
Member # 213

No no no! I'm not saying that there would be no market for robots, just that once most humans in that market group have neuro-cybernetic interfaces, there is no reason to make the robots self-aware (and there is certainly no reason to give a robot [as such] free will--though this is not relavent since you don't believe in free will anyway...).

The other reason to make a computer capable of simulating human level intelligence is as a means to immortality by copying the human brain into a computer...which is where biological immortality therapies come in.

By the way, Cosmi is very right to point out that right now, we do not understand how telomeres work well enough to activate the telomerase reaction safely (or rather, we don't know how telomerase works all that well, we actually know a lot about telomere decay). I wouldn't take to much account of the fact that a longer lived species tends to actually have a shorter telomeres, mortality mechanisms aren't limited to telomere decay, but it is the insuperable obstacle to indefinite extension of human life. Hormone treatments, on the other hand, particularly the novel therapies now being offered, actually shorten life span by accellerating the division of cells in persons that are...this is all irrelevant.

We do not now have a viable therapy to actually reverse aging at the somatic level. I do not believe that we will reach one before our society hits the crisis point.

Just remember, don't take any hormones....

Survivor
Member # 213

Whoa, wait a second!
quote:
Thus, although telomere shortening may play a role in limiting cellular life span, there is no evidence that telomere shortening plays a role in the determination of human longevity.
That is not true. There is evidence that telomere shortening is the cause of almost all age related tumors (and it appears to play a role in many carcinogen related tumors) as well as that [genetically] older cells are less active in repairing tissue damage and efficient in carrying out needed functions. These are definately related to determination of human longevity.

I understand and applaud the reasons that this was written, but looking though some of the entries, there is some bad science and outright deception here. This is not good. I know that some people believe that anyone that is not a card carrying "scientist" cannot be trusted to make intelligent decisions with complete information (in fact, I agree that it is unlikely that non-scientists will make intelligent decisions in any given situation, but I extend the same opinion to "scientists" as well), but deliberate falsehoods are not good.

Sigh, I guess that's another factor of Utopian society that we have to examine now...how important is honesty to maintaining society? I don't have the energy for this one, though....

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.