Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Calling all ambivalent writers

Author Topic: Calling all ambivalent writers
scarletfalls
Member # 1538

- posted      Profile for scarletfalls   Email scarletfalls         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey folks. I've been lurking for about a week now, and I have been impressed and amazed by the collective knowledge and insight you guys possess. I've already learned so much from following threads and reading archives that my head is spinning with ideas for improving my own writing. Unfortunately, applying the ideas, at least for me, is easier daydreamed than done.

Have any of you read the book The Forest for the Trees by Betsy Lerner? In her first chapter she describes The Ambivalent Writer, the writer who has a brand new cool idea for a story every day but never gets any real writing done, the writer who wants desperately to express herself but doesn't know how to go about it. When I first read that chapter the hairs on the back of my arms pricked up, because it described me -perfectly-. For a brief solipsistic moment I wondered if Lerner had been stalking me for months, secretly studying my behaviors in order to write the first chapter of her book. But my egotism gave way to relief as I realized that I'm not alone. I'm not alone! I'm a type! That means there are others like me!

Ahem.

So I'm posting this on the off-chance I might find some of those others here on this forum. We can commiserate, perhaps. Or if you -were- an undisciplined, ambivalent writer and somehow managed to find success (and success to me means finishing a manuscript, not just publishing one), then I'd love to hear how you overcame your ambivalence.

If you don't know what the heck I'm talking about, you can look up Lerner's book on amazon.com. Much of the first chapter is excerpted there for your reading pleasure.

Back to lurk mode,

Jen

Posts: 8 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
You just have to find stuff that motivates you to get of your ass. It was hard for me, the longest thing I ever wrote was 30,000 words. I completed it, but I still haven't done the massive revisions several years later. I'm now finishing up the first draft of my manuscript (over 104,000 words) and it's different for everybody, but my two biggest motivations were 1.) unrequited love 2.) misappropriation of company property. You just have to find your niche.

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
i get that way sometimes, but it's usually a passing phase. it happens when my ability to judge crap is greater than my ability to avoid writing it (i think there is a topic that addresses that somewhere...). usually a few good books will get me out of my slump, though. i have too many ideas that would waste away if left in my head. can't bear* to see them die.

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

*by the way, is that "bear" or "bare"? i think i got it right, but somehow i always seem to get them mixed up.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
HopeSprings
Member # 1533

- posted      Profile for HopeSprings   Email HopeSprings         Edit/Delete Post 
Cosmi - think of "bear" as in growl and "bare" as in mooning someone and you'll keep 'em straight.

Undisciplined? Ambivalent?

Never.Yeah - right . . .

I seem to go in and out of concentrated effort. I get to a certain point of just getting the ideas out after mulling them over for a while, and then I get caught in the revision deal. Sigh.

This tactic works well for - well, work - since most things I put together for work are research intensive, stringing together research, presenting crisp analysis, and fighting the upward battle on being allowed to use active - rather than passive - voice.

For writing fiction, essays, poetry, short stories - this technique does not seem to work so well. Plus, I seem to get stuck in the land of "I haven't finished this story yet - how can I move on?" Gasp.

Almost schizophrenic, one might say.

Does anyone else struggle with the great divide between expected writing style for work and preferred style?

Posts: 70 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Trist
Member # 1535

- posted      Profile for Trist   Email Trist         Edit/Delete Post 
Twelve years ago I was published in a few magazines (non-fiction) and so I realzied I must jump to the pinnacle of writing. My own novel.

Almost a year later, 75,000 words and a destroyed my marriage I finished the beast. It was crap. As a newbie writer, I paid Scott Meredith Agency $250 to also conclude that my book lacked literary means (they agreed, I think sheep shite was the term one of them used.). But the exercise taught me a number of valuable lessons.

When push came to shove I wrote. And, by golly I finished it. I accomplished a beginning, a middle and an end that made some sort of sense. Writing equals butt in chair. Yet I still struggle with this concept. I wrestle with an internal editor disposes my characters, ideas or plot as bland. Somehow I must learn to lock up this demon in the dark recesses of my mind until the first draft has been finished.

In the years since, I've learned that I must write my first draft blind. Never looking back, never looking forward, but continue in the moment and let the characters tell me the story. Much harder to do than say.

I have about three dozen stories I've started and abandoned because of my ambivalance to my own work. Yet my friends encourage me to continue to write because they see something I don't in my work. I confess I'm still wallowing in the sheep shite remarks.

Kick yourself in the ass and write. Do you want to wake up one day when you are seventy years old, sitting in your favorite rocking chair, and sipping tart lemonade only to sigh and think, what if?

Your what if time is now! My what if time is now! Don't worry about failure or success write your heart out if it pleases you and then let others determine if it is good or not.

*puts his pom-poms back in the chest*

writing=work

Trist
(looks for a glass of sweet lemonade!)

Posts: 7 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadow-x
Member # 1536

- posted      Profile for Shadow-x   Email Shadow-x         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not an ambivalent writer. Just wanted to say hello and welcome
Posts: 47 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, well I think everyone suffers form the my stuff is crap and the "writers avoidance" at one time or another.

Luckly I have never fallen for the money flowing away from the writer idea. Though I once had an editor tell me that I should take up one handed kniting becasue I would be more useful. (The non-fic article was later published by a different magazine).

You just sit and you write.

You just sit and you write.

You can't think about the reception it will get. Just do it and once you have the first complete novel, put it in the closet and go one to the next. Belive me when you have done two or three novels and go back and read that first one you will laugh your butt off.

Join a crit group--deadlines often help. And the opinion of others will teach you much. Criting others work will also teach you much.

all you can do is do it and see where it goes.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I am now less of an ambivalent writer and more of an ambivalent marketer. That is, I am paralyzed by the entire submission process. So paralyzed, that despite a hefty backlog of short stories, one novel, and new shorties written all the time, I've made exactly five half-assed attempts to get work looked at by agents. Naturally, being new and having zip-squat to point to as a portfolio, they politely form-lettered responses to my query letters. Since then, I've stopped trying. Again. And I cannot motivate myself to start over.

Pathetic? Absolutely. But I'll bet I'm not the only one. After all, you can't be rejected if you don't submit. And for someone like me, whose entire identity is so tied to the belief that I am a good writer, finding out the opposite is one bite of reality I cannot swallow.

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
You want pathetic? A NY agent had quickly browsed my first three chapters at a writer's conference I attended and wants my first 50 pages and longer synopsis, and a book doctor/editor/consultant there critiqued the first 20 pages and said he'd take another look if I made one plot change.

I'm working on the change as well as on some of the other comments they and a couple Hatrack critiquers have made, but am terrified about sending the requested material. At least now I have this amazing but oh so fragile hope and I don't want to let it go. I want to savor this one bite before I find out I might have to spit it out. "Pathetic? Absolutely."

(The agent said not to apologize for taking extra time to make something better, but I don't want to overdo it, either. I did send a note to explain the delay -- leaving out the hope part, of course. )

I do remind myself that I went to the conference with the intent of getting an agent to ask for more of my story, and that that's exactly what happened. Now I just have to get him to ask for still more. No sweat, right? I'm . ( )

Do published writers continue with this sort of stupid ambivalence?

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited December 04, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited December 04, 2002).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
MeldarthX
Member # 1540

- posted      Profile for MeldarthX   Email MeldarthX         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I understand your problem; because at times I suffer the same thing. There is only one person and cure for this. You have to get off your butt and just write.

My biggest problem is I am my own worst enemy when it comes to my writings. It doesn't matter if its my poetry or stories. I have to learn that I do have a gift and start using it more.

Another problem I have is shift in tenses; but in time I think I can even fix that...

MeldarthX

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
scarletfalls
Member # 1538

- posted      Profile for scarletfalls   Email scarletfalls         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I've always known that I just need to sit down and WRITE, but I've always felt like there's something else I need to do first. Like choose the right story, or do the right research, or have my final brilliant revelation. But you guys are right -- it's just procrastination, and even if I write completely shoddy crap, I need to write that shoddy crap before I can move on to anything decent.

I think deadlines are helpful, too. What kinds of deadlines do you guys give yourselves?

Jen

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't impose deadlines on yourself.

If someone else wants to say "give it to me by MM/DD or forget about it" then that's fine, but you shouldn't let a story or character die because it "takes too long."

You can set goals, as long as you actually have a plan for achieving them, but don't set them in stone or feel like you've failed if you don't reach them. With a goal, you've only failed if you really didn't try (okay, so I'm a wuss when it comes to goal-setting philosophy). The point is to let your best hopes motivate you, not your worst fears. Fear may work for drudgery, but it is entirely inimicable to the creative process.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

If you went through a school system--then you know how a deadline works. You have a date that the thing has to be done and you manage to get it done. Once I started writing for a magazine that needed things by a certain date regularly--a deadline---my writing speed improved and so did my writing overall.

They can work simply because during all your years of school you trained your brain to work with a deadline.

As to the submission process---5 rejections is nothing. They mean nothing. Form letters can mean it was not for them, not for them at this time, they were overloaded with subs that week, or didn't get pickles with lunch and it pissed them off. They ARE NOT REJECTING YOU THE PERSON!!!!!

They are only seeing the paper in front of them--that is what they are rejecting. And even good writers get rejections. You and the agent, or editor, have to be a match. That match takes time to make.

Shawn

Kolona
Member # 1438

quote:
even if I write completely shoddy crap, I need to write that shoddy crap before I can move on to anything decent.

So true. It's not "If something's worth doing, it's worth doing well" so much as "If something's worth doing, it's worth doing badly" because no one writes outstanding prose right out of the gate. Even with a natural aptitude (and I think there's a thread about that), raw talent must be trained, guided, nurtured. Without exercise, talent has no expression and consequently no hope of being developed and done well.

Trist
Member # 1535

quote:
Even with a natural aptitude (and I think there's a thread about that), raw talent must be trained, guided, nurtured. Without exercise, talent has no expression and consequently no hope of being developed and done well.

Athlete...

I'm a firm believer everyone has a talent to do something, it is those who work hard to refine their abilities that make them good/great. I always use the story of Michael Jordan as an example.

In high school, baseball was his natural sport, but he wanted to excel at basketball. When he missed the cut as a sophomore in high school, he had the passion to work harder to play at a higher level.

After his first retirement from basketball, he tried to play professional baseball, but lacked the polish in the sport because he was winning NBA championships. While playing in the minor leagues, his natural talent flashed on occasion. Without the dedication and hard work there was no consistancy in his game.

I believe this is true for everything in life. I've seen people who have a great gift for writing let it fall by the wayside because they weren't happy doing it.

Passion. How hard are you willing to work to accomplish something, be it basketball, baseball or writing. Like the old saying goes, what you put into something is what you get out of it.

-Trist

Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
I must answer the call. I am the most ambivalent of writers. I have started many projects but havent as yet completed anything. I have to agree that putting the butt into the chair is the first and biggest obstacle(no, not the butt! :0 ) So I put my name on the list for a writer's group. I think the imposed deadlines will inspire more discipline on my part.

I spent almost a year researching for a book on women's roles in WWII. Then got cold feet about my use of family history. I was too self conscious about what my Father would think...

Anyhow, I am brand new to the list and I have started working on a story in the fantasy genre(my fav) and I hope this will help my dedication.

Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmi
Member # 1252

welcome Marianne!

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. My name is Chris, and I'm an ambivalent writer. ("Hi, Chris!")

I've always wanted to do that.

Anyway, it's true. I always have ideas about the next great story, and I sometimes get pretty far into it, by my standards, anyway. But when it comes to going for the big one, I think I'm much like the cheetah is at running: fast, short bursts. I wrote around 10,000 words...-ish, in about five days, and that was a week ago. I've barely wrote anything since. fast, but short-lived bursts. My short stories (correction: short storY, as in one; singular, unless you count the stuff I did in Creative Writing Freshman and Sophomore year in High School, and I'm not sure I do) are, IMHO, pretty not-too-bad, and the poems I sometimes write make me laugh out loud when I reread them.

So: why can't I finish a novel? Why can't I stick with it. Why do all my ideas run out before I get a quarter of the way through the story?

Well, I might never know, but what I DO know is that you people are right. The only way to find out if I'm any good is to get butt in chair and write. Not easy to do in a house of thirteen, but I'll find a way.

Chris

PS. Looking back, I notice that I haven't posed a single question, other than those in the middle...somewhere. But those are mostly rhetorical, I think. I WANTED to ask a question, and say other stuff, but it slipped my mind. Don't you just LOVE it when that happens? (Another rhetorical question, folks. I'm full of them...among other things )

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

Looking back over this thread is one of the reasons that publishers want finished books from first time novelists. So many good ideas fall by the wayside. My spouse’s brother once asked me, "How do you finish anything?" He added, "I get stuck on one chapter or maybe two and keep going back over them and never get anywhere"

It's a good question. I don't know if I have the answer, but I will giveit a shot. One: I don't write short. In High School and beyond I had a dang hard time writing a short story. I finally learned to fake it by writing a chapter out of a longer work that had a beginning, middle, and end. That worked and it taught me something, how to compose an effective chapter.

When you sit down to do a longer work you have to stop thinking about word count, don’t think about chapter breaks, don’t worry about chapter order or even story order. You have to write the story as it comes to you. Start some where in the story that interests you. Start with a scene that has a big bang and work both directions form there. That’s one way to do it.

Outline, ugh. I have never been very good at outline stories. They peter out for me. But maybe for you they might work. Decide what you want to happen in chapter one. John meets Girl. (Scene one): Chapter one John finds out girl is alien (scene Two): Chapter one Girl kidnaps John to take him to her world (scene three big bang cliff hanger) Then chapter two and so on making sure you have two or three scenes to every chapter and a big bang ending one to draw the reader into the next. If you hit the brick wall you can refer to your outline to prod you into what you should be writing.

Next is groan factor—forget it. I call that look back at what you just wrote and the flush of embarrassment you get when you say to yourself, “ugh I just wrote that crap?” the groan factor. Ignore it and go on. Many times it’s not as bad as you think, and even if it is the object at this point is to get a complete story down and then go back and fix what needs to be. This seems to be a universal truth among those who do not ever finish----they get stuck fixing what they have already wrote and get so caught up in it that the world and characters abandon them and they lose the story momentum.

You have to set a goal for yourself, a time goal is ok, but really a word count goal is better. Say I will write 250 words per day. It’s an easy one to do. Do not leave your seat until you have written 250 words—I don’t care if they are awful—you need to do this for 6 weeks (the time it takes to establish a habit)(train your brain as it where) You are teaching your brain that it will produce written words at this time of day and it will do this many of them. Once you have done this then up the ante and go for 300 words and so on until you reach a place you are comfortable with. Think 250 is too hard—think again I am at over 500 just right here. You can do it.

Nothing to write about—describe something, check out Writer’s Digests daily writing prompts, join a crit group that uses daily writing exercises---- write and write----but do it regularly.

A writer writes—everyday no matter what like the postman rain or shine----write no matter what you feel like, no matter what is going on find 15 min and sit down and pound out something even if it’s a rant about the neighbors dog peeing on your bushes. You have to teach your brain to write productively.

And that, folks, is what I think productive writers have discovered.

They have trained their brains to switch on the productivity when they sit down and open their word processor program.

You too can do this.

Shawn

FuzzyBunny
Member # 1543

- posted      Profile for FuzzyBunny   Email FuzzyBunny         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I am also new to this board, this being my first post. Yeah for me! I'll have to say I have also learned a lot from these boards as well. I have always known that I was a procrastanator... so I'm working on it. I was doing really well this summer... writing pages of total crap everyday and a few peices of good stuff, but hey I was writing. Then the move to Vermont and finding out I was pregnant kinda put a dent in my schedule. BUT! now I workin an art gallery which means I have about 6.5 of my 7 hour workday free to do whatever and I'm trying to make a few hours of that writing. I had a week or so of obsesive printing of information from the web... but I think I'm back on track now. I realized it was avoidance. At least now I have a huge stack of all available information on worldbuilding and char building.*grin*
Anyways I wanted to just pop my head out of my shell for a moment and say Hi and I hear ya scarlet.

Breanna

Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

Is it my imagination or are there an inordinate number of lurkers popping up on this site? For each of them, that alone is a small triumph over procrastination and ambivalence.

We should all remember the immortal words of Miguel de Cervantes: "By the street of By-and-By, one arrives at the house of Never."

BTW, Welcome!

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited December 11, 2002).]

Shadow-x
Member # 1536

Welcome all new to the forum, and hello to the veterans Would you all be interested in participating in a writing event? We could set goals, something like "write 20,000 words this week" or "100,000 words" this month. And to keep us accountable and motivated, we would have to post for others to read, no critique involve.
Reasons for doing this: 1) we'll be compelled to write 2) we learn best by doing this 3) we get to exhaust our supply of "crap" 4)it'll be fun.
This will be similar to that "NaNoWriMo" thing except there'll be no charge.
What do you think?

Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an off-the-wall suggestion for keeping yourself writing something, anything, on a regular basis. Try writing fan fiction.

Now, now, children, stop rolling around laughing, it's rude!

Seriously, if there is a show or movie or series of books you love and know inside-out, write some stories of your own on the subject. You can decide to post them or not at sites like fanfiction.net...it's up to you. Yes, you'll probably generate reams of crapola, but so what? You'll be working with characters in a universe that you love and you'll be motivated by your own enjoyment of the subject.

Obviously, this won't be right for everyone. But it works for a lot of very fine writers I know, who use pseudonyms to protect their reputations. And some actually turn out impressive stories, because they are being stimulated by subject matter that stirs their passions. Just another suggestion to keep those computer keys clacking!

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrPopodopalus
Member # 1532

- posted      Profile for MrPopodopalus   Email MrPopodopalus         Edit/Delete Post 
I went out and bought an 'old' typewriter. Seriously. The 'world at your fingertips' can be a bit distracting ("well, I'm not quite sure what this is, so I'll do some research," and that research turns into 3 hours of web surfing...) when you're trying to stay 'in the zone.' At least that's the case for me. But a typewriter, a laptop disconnected from the web (take it someplace 'creative' or soothing) or even a pen and paper often works wonders for getting me jump-started.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Grunt
Member # 1547

- posted      Profile for Grunt   Email Grunt         Edit/Delete Post 
Well in my humble opinion I have been writing for almost two years now, one of my books still doesn't have a title. I have had it close to being published yet it still remains un published... I used a combination of Type Writer,Computer,Internet sources,and Pen with Paper... I found that using many things for writing comes in handy... I take paper where ever I go and I write down ideas at any moment that may help my creative proccess. I found also that if you can multi task like a computer also helps alot. But this is only my opinion and as you can tell I'm only a junior member so take my advice for what it's worth to you

Vincent De Layfeyete (assumed Identity)

[This message has been edited by Grunt (edited December 11, 2002).]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadow-x
Member # 1536

Any interests with what I posted earlier?
Marianne
Member # 1546

I might be interested...but 20,000 words a week might be a bit steep for me right now...holidays and all. I am trying the 200-300 words per day right now just to get into the habit of writing daily. I signed up to be put in a group but that could take a few weeks. I am willing to give it a try though
Shadow-x
Member # 1536

I didn't mean exactly 20,000. It was an example.

For most of us, to attempt that many words and fail would be discouraging.

I think 10,000 words per week is do-able and still challenging. Also, before we start we could give or assign each other story ideas.

I hope many will participate. And I'm open to suggestions or methods. Other goals (reasons) aside from what I've already stated, are: 1)we learn to stop being so meticulous with our word choice and our style, instead focusing on telling the story 2)increase writing rate and productivity 3)and giving the members of this forum nice holiday gifts (our stories posted for all to read).

[This message has been edited by Shadow-x (edited December 11, 2002).]

Kolona
Member # 1438

quote:
And to keep us accountable and motivated, we would have to post for others to read, no critique involve.

You might want to check out the 13-line posting consideration regarding electronic rights. It's mentioned somewhere on this site. Maybe Kathleen can zero in on it for you.

Kolona
Member # 1438

oops double posting

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited December 11, 2002).]

HopeSprings
Member # 1533

- posted      Profile for HopeSprings   Email HopeSprings         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a 13 line limit - check out Kathleen's comments on Fragments and Feedback -

but, we could e-mail to a group - I think that would be okay.

It seems to take an assignment to get me going - whether that is related to work or past college experience, I don't know.

But I would be willing to try to meet an assignment/deadline to get the creative juices flowing again. On the "Writing Decision Stories" thread, something similar is about to begin.

Check it out.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmi
Member # 1252

QUOTE: "Here's an off-the-wall suggestion for keeping yourself writing something, anything, on a regular basis. Try writing fan fiction."

actually, i do something similar to this when i begin a lot of my projects. i put the pre-fleshed out characters others have already created into my scenarios and go from there. it helps take me out of that prep-work/backstory phase and makes me start really thinking about the story i want to tell. usually, by the time i'm done i can replace the names (and a few descriptions) of the characters and no one can tell who they began as. doesn't always work, but sometimes i can get some great stuff.

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Marianne
Member # 1546

So we can do this thru e-mail...we can set up a group of people who are interested and at the end of the week we send our piece out to each other for perusal...no critique unless asked for Just slam the words out...we can discuss the process in a new thread... I would be happy to collect names and e-mails of those interested and send the group list out. If anyone is interested send me an e-mail.
Grunt
Member # 1547

- posted      Profile for Grunt   Email Grunt         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I'm interested in this, I say actually I'm intersted because I don't normally like sharing my works but I like this idea. My only concern is will we write our own stories or on a group voted story?? My adress is SoulDeciever@rock.com for anyone who really wants to know but I really check the boards more than me email so yeah...

Just call me,
Vincent de Lafeyete

Posts: 12 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Trist
Member # 1535

I'm interested in this as well. I assume we are speaking of typical first drafts here? One question/concern I have is that we will slip into edit mode because we will be sending it to others to read. I know I won't want to send my free-handed prose off to a group of people (even strangers) without at least doing some rewriting.

I would suggest we assign word counts. This would have to be on the honor system, but we should try to make this as encouraging as possible so people don't feel defeated.

Someone (I could) could set up a web page that lists the word count we wrote each week and this way we are accountable to each other. I would rather try to find tools and motivation to keep us writing then stifle anyone from producing anything. IF we want the group to read something then we could send it to the others with an explaination of what type of feedback we are looking for.

Trist

email: Trist_on@hotmail.com

FuzzyBunny
Member # 1543

- posted      Profile for FuzzyBunny   Email FuzzyBunny         Edit/Delete Post 
I am intrested in this as well though... I don't think I could really commit to it the first of the new year... plus that way I can squeeze it in as my new years res. So if you would accept a late starter I am up for it.

Breanna
bk0@email.com (that is a zero not an o)

scarletfalls
Member # 1538

I'm in! And I like the web site idea.

As far as what to write, I like the idea of giving each other story ideas if we need a jumpstart. If we're already working on an idea of our own, maybe we could have the option to keep plowing ahead on it instead. Any thoughts on that?

I'm also with Marianne on the word count issue; the holidays are a pretty hectic time of year. I want to write, though, so if we just keep the weekly goal relatively small for now, that might work.

I for one would welcome the opportunity to just slam out the words and not worry so much about the evil editor in my head. I need to hush my ambivalence and work on my productivity. :-) Great idea, Shadow-x!

Jen
jen_hayward@hotmail.com

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Being ambivalent is perhaps more about exploring different ideas. Writing to be published perhaps is more about having finally acheived a focus on something you really want to write.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzyBunny
Member # 1543

On topic ideas I have this link to the instant muse story starter

http://www.webcom.com/wordings/artofwrite/storystarter.html

It gives you the following...

Main Character's Sex
Main Character's Job or Profession
An Archetype: Story Starter archetypes may be universal or not, ranging from Robin Hood to the Pope.
A Key Object or Symbol
Setting: A time and/or place in which the story occurs.
Theme: The psychological/spiritual/moral issue at hand for the protagonist. >From empowerment to evil.

Sometimes that helps me get started on something. And it makes me stretch my imagination a little to try to include as many of the things as possiable.

Breanna

[This message has been edited by FuzzyBunny (edited December 12, 2002).]

Trist
Member # 1535

I think we should write about whatever we want too and if you need story helpers or such then by all means help each other out. I think we should keep the "rules" as loose as possible from the serious to the not so serious works we want to create. All this is about is to get us to focus on getting into a daily routine of writing.

I mocked up a web page of what I was thinking go to http://www.twizzlesticks.50megs.com/writing_word_count.html I added green and red colors to the columns to give everyone something to 'shoot' for each week/month

Let me know what you think. I would like to keep this as basic as possible (to reduce coding time) and if someone else would rather do it, be my guest

-Trist

[This message has been edited by Trist (edited December 12, 2002).]

Marianne
Member # 1546

I started a new topic for this project under Writing Writing Writing....I think this will be easier than maintaining a web page. It is a nice offer, but think of the time you can spend on writing rather than maintaining a web site.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.