Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » "Taken"

Author Topic: "Taken"
Pen
Member # 1526

- posted      Profile for Pen   Email Pen         Edit/Delete Post 
Recently, a Steven Spielberg production aired on the Sci Fi channel. The epic story spanning over three generations, and over 40 years of American history, known as "Taken" left me awestruck, and inspired. I have to say that it's the best twenty hours of film I have said on TV to date. It's simply brilliant. The plot is heavily character driven, which is the sort of story I love. The plot is designed so intricately, and with such complexity, that it keeps you turning your TV on every night, to see what happens to the interesting and compelling characters. Does anyone here agree that it was definitely one of Spielberg's more profound, and masterfully told stories in his career?
Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen Taken, but I'd be happy to call it one of Spielberg's most profound works, provided the hero drives a stainless steel sportscar with gullwing doors.
Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Doc, you wouldn't be getting a certian trilogy for christmas would you?
Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadow-x
Member # 1536

- posted      Profile for Shadow-x   Email Shadow-x         Edit/Delete Post 
I only watched one episode (that was all I had time for) so I don't really know how "profound" or "masterfully" it was. the sci-fi chan, being what it is--I'm sure they'll broadcast reruns, and even have a marathon for it. Maybe I'll check it out then.
Posts: 47 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I was a little dissapointed with was the ending. It was a little anti-climactic. I just thought, I watched this every night for two weeks for this?

Ni!

Posts: 177 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trapped in merry little England, so I can't actually watch it easily. I've a wait ahead of me, but it sounds pretty interesting.
Shawn, don't diss Doc. His obsession is well-placed *grin*
Oh, and shame on all of you for letting them cancel Firefly.
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Grrrr. Wasn't ME that let them cancel firefly. Farscape either. I watch both religiously. If they cancel Dead Zone I'm throwing the tv out the window.

Ni!

Posts: 177 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Straws
Member # 1559

- posted      Profile for Straws           Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't hear? Final episode forever is airing a month from now.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
kwsni, remember that throwing the tv out the window will accomplish no good for the tv or the window.

(I have to tell myself that every time I am tempted to throw the computer out the window....)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Straws
Member # 1559

Well, it might. What if by some chance you happen to throw the TV in such a perfect trajectory that it forms a gap in the space time continuum, thusly forever altering history into a world where they don't cancel good shows and you have a TV with a screen larger than your house. Unlikely, but strangely conceivable, maybe.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Err, maybe not...

Besides, it wouldn't really be good for that TV or for that window, but rather for an alternate possible TV and window that would exist instead of the TV and window involved in your...experiment.

Really, it would only be you (or an alternate you) that would benefit, and since KDW wisely said nothing about such an experiment not benefitting you, there is no contradiction.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Straws
Member # 1559

Well, unless, you swap places with your alternate self, or your alternate self becomes YOU. Or maybe, the rift changes and both dimensions collide, and the two you's are forced into a single body in a collaborative world.

..... .....

Dude, I should write that down! Imagine the possibilities!

Survivor
Member # 213

Uh, you just did write it down....

Wouldn't that mean that both your windows and both TVs would also be forced to share...eh, bodies, as well? So your window would be both a busted single pane and a double paned picture (or bay) window...perhaps a larger intact window with the smaller, broken window inset. And the same for your TVs, it would be the larger full wall unit with a smaller auxillery CRT that was broken from having been thrown out the window....

At some point, this stopped making much sense, didn't it?

Straws
Member # 1559

That's the beauty of it! I can make up rules as I go along! Yay!
Survivor
Member # 213

...and there was much rejoicing. yeah!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.