Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Free Online Books

Author Topic: Free Online Books
Shadow-x
Member # 1536

- posted      Profile for Shadow-x   Email Shadow-x         Edit/Delete Post 
If any of you need a break from writing or life, I recommend a couple books from the Baen Library (I've read several others there too, but these two I liked the most) http://baen.com/library/titles.htm

"Wizard's Bane" The story takes place in a world of magic, except the hero is summoned from modern earth, an expert programmer, who revolutionizes the magic of this fantasy world with his skills. You won't find anything truly original here, and no deep humanization or philosophical stuff, and not too much technical details about computer languages. Yet it's enjoyable to read, very light reading.

"Sisters of Glass" Set in a futuristic earth, where the corporations like "Genesistems" rule the world, and rich people (some worth over a hundred trillions) have downloaded themselves. Genesistems has taken DNA extracts from women who standardize beauty, and enchanced, spliced, recoded, etc the new genes into the perfect women, called "sisters" who are deemed less than humans because a little bit of animal genes have been added to their chromosome make-up, so that these "sisters" can be used for gentlemanly services. When the "sisters" start to get murdered by two different forces, the hero gets hired to protect one for some sort of trial. Alot of social commentary issues are prevalent that don't detract but enrich the story. The hero is very sympathetic. Good story to read.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.