Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » A misunderstanding

Author Topic: A misunderstanding
Tanglier
Member # 1313

- posted      Profile for Tanglier   Email Tanglier         Edit/Delete Post 
I was running through the Shakespeare plays in my mind, and I'm intrigued by the fact that so many of them are fueled by a misunderstanding: Othello, Hamlet, and Romeo and Julliet are three that jump out at me.

Simple miscommunications between two good agents which lead to tragic consequences is one of the staples of good fiction, and I'm starting to believe that the power of miscommunication is as integral to the human condition as the fear of death.

Miscommunication abounds in the Internet, for no other reason than the nature of the medium.

*rubs his hands together*

I think there is something there. When the reader knows the benevolent intentions of both agents, his/her heart aches at the tension created by the miscommunication.

I'm surprised that this device isn't used more because that way you don't need a monolithic evil to fight against, only an all too communication foible which extrapolates with dire consequences.

I don't think a miscommuncation can play well to support an entire novel, like a single quest can, but I do believe that it cultivates tension.

[This message has been edited by Tanglier (edited December 19, 2002).]

Posts: 193 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
DragynGide
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for DragynGide   Email DragynGide         Edit/Delete Post 
Misscommunication is actually quite common in modern fiction... specifically, in movies. Watch five romantic comedies, and I guarantee at least three will revolve around miscommunication. In fact, a great deal of the comedy genre in general does.

The real trick, then, would of course be to make it work for drama as well... which is a bit harder.

Shasta

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanglier
Member # 1313

Yes, it works for "Three's Company," but for a drama, I think I would be harder.

The Usual Suspects had a miscommunication where all of the agents were dead, except for the bad guy.

I think the deal with Drama is that competent people really have to commit to the compelling deeds based on a miscommunication, showcasing the fragility of communcation in general and of our human condition and reliance upon each other to communicate effectively. There have to be real consequences. Othello has to be ready to kill Desdemona.

I'm still running this around my brain, and I'll tell you what I think of.

[This message has been edited by Tanglier (edited December 20, 2002).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to be very careful to make sure that the reason people don't just talk to each other makes sense.

If you don't, you run the risk of having a variation on the dreaded "idiot plot" (where there would be no story if the idiot would just use a little common sense, etc).

All too often, or so it seems to me, romantic comedies (or just plain romances) are based on this variation. It can be very frustrating to watch two people running around hurting each other under such a miscommunication when all they have to do is just talk to each other. Drives me crazy.

So make sure that whatever is sustaining the miscommunication is strong enough to keep people from just talking and straightening things out.

(Of course, you could have them get together and talk at some point, and in their talking discover that the real problem is a lot worse than either party had thought it was....)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanglier
Member # 1313

I was thinking about Novinha burying the evidence and refusing to marry Pipo in speaker for the dead. Her one deception caused a myriad or problems, and I never understood why they just didn't talk about it. Especially since they saw each other every day.

That's why I'm thinking about the Internet as an effective means of miscommunication. One party can legitimately not have access. One party can legitimately have poor written communication skills, confusing irony with the truth, or saying the truth in a manner which is not taken seriously.

There has to be a way to make this work and not have it be hokey- a structual problem which makes pertinent and effective communication just beyond grasp.

In old fantasy tales, it's easy. George R.R. Martin can have Arya ten miles away from from all of the other Starks, but it's just flat impossible to communicate over that distance without a pigeon or smoke signals.

*thinks* I know there are ways, but I'll be careful.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Novinha is a classic example of the tragically flawed hero. She is so willing to take on herself the guilt for everything that goes wrong, so willing to be the one that suffers, that it becomes an overweening pride. She really believes that Pipo died because of the genetic anomalies that she showed him, so certain that Libo will die if she allows him to see the same information, that she destroys her own life to prevent it.

If people don't communicate because they can't communicate, then that lacks the human element of people not communicating because they have some motive for keeping a secret. Like a single mother that never admits to her daughter that she made serious mistakes in choosing a mate, because she fears lest her daughter follow her example rather than learn from it. And so the daughter is pushed to make the exact same mistake by a mother who cannot admit to her daughter the true reasons that she "just knows" a certain man is a bad prospect.

When our most intimate feelings are involved, it can be treacherous indeed to express the truth. I try to err on the other side, which means that I constantly offend. This doesn't bother me much, I don't mind a little pain, after all. But most humans learn early and well to keep secret those feelings that are deepest and most true.

Remember, unless the withholding of information is intentional, it doesn't affect the story one way or the other, only the tactical picture.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
DragynGide
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for DragynGide   Email DragynGide         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw a wonderful rendering of misunderstanding in Disney's The Three Musketeers. Years ago, the character of Sabine was for some reason wrongfully marked with the brand of the fleur de lis (sp?), which identified her as a murderer marked for execution. Somehow Sabine had managed to escape her fate, and had gone on to fall in love with the character of Athos and marry him. She did not tell him about her past, out of fear of what he might do. She kept the brand hidden, but one day after a horseriding accident, Athos discovered it while tending to her. Because she had never told him about it, he believed that she really had been guilty of the crime she'd been branded for. He sent her away to be executed. Athos never fell in love again, and when they next met, Sabine actually was a murderer. Both of their lives had been destroyed in a way by that misunderstanding.

Shasta

[This message has been edited by DragynGide (edited December 22, 2002).]

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanglier
Member # 1313

Thanks, DragynGide. That's a miscommunication which singularly resulted in the agony of two esrtwhile benevolent agents.

You even have a moral-- though it happens to be the same moral you have in SFTD: trust the people you love, and don't hide things from them, or it's going to 1) Put an oppressive amount of guilt in every moment of your life, isolating you from the whole of society, or 2) bite you in the ass when the secret comes out.

I have my own reasons for thinking that one is the more important moral.

In Sabine's case, we have a conscious decision to obscure the truth. The situation could have been avoided if she had been upfront with Athos. *thinks* to give the story more punch, they could have had an prior instance, maybe in Sabine's childhood, where Sabine had told someone she loved a secret and it resulted in hurt, causing her not to want to repeat the mistake.

I haven't read the original, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case, and Disney truncated the prior story. If I thought of it in ten seconds, I'm sure Dumas thought of it.
_______

Once again, you have a personal breakdown which leads to a miscommunication. I'm trying to think of a situation where you have a structural breakdown.

The moral:

business does not constitute a society, just as territory does not make a nation, and size does not make granduer. So I'm looking for a story where two people's reliance on economic or business relations leads to a miscommunication. Yet, I have to make it deeply personal, yadda yadda.

[This message has been edited by Tanglier (edited December 26, 2002).]

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Ah. Miscommunication is the mainstay of farce - which in itself is a detestable plot device.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yes, when there is no reason that a miscommunication would occur, then it becomes a farcical plot device. As a matter of fact, any plot device that seems unlikely or contrived is farcical, that's practically the definition of farce.

That's why there must be a motive for the deceit (on a side note, that's what made the whole Lewinsky affair so farcical--no one could figure out why Clinton would even try to lie about it).

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, there are exceptions to everything. I can imagine a plot where a miscommunication occurs for no reason other than simple error, and it propels an entire story for good or ill, wholly devoid of any farcical humor.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Ah, well, a simple error is a reason, albeit a rather simplistic one

Of course, then you have to have a reason that this sort of simple error would be allowed to propagate a significant error...for instance, there is a demolitions team that has rigged a critical bridge to explode, and are waiting for the command to blow it. The fellow in charge, realizing that there are still units on the other side of the river, yells out, "Don't blow the bridge now!" The fellow with the detonator, because they are under fire, misses the first word, thus hearing, "Blow the bridge now!"

And so the bridge gets blown at precisely the wrong time, and all the rehashing in the world can't straigten out the fact that the bridge is well and truly blown at the wrong time...

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 
You can always tell when a comedy series has run out of ideas - they revert to farce. It's hideous stuff.

Also remember that Shakespeare was writing for his own contemporary markets.

Straws
Member # 1559

- posted      Profile for Straws           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but Shakespeare is still considered one of the greatest writers of all time, even today. I happen to have found that basic setup to be the foundation for all of my antagonists. I don't ever call them villains, even when they're ruthless murderers, because I gave them a very good reason for being so. For instance, in one of my self-proclaimed greatest science fiction stories, the antagonit is something I call a cryosoldier (NOTE: I'm about to go off on an explanation binge, for those that don't care, well, don't worry about it). A cryosoldier was a human that was placed in a cryogenic suspension unit that increased their muscle mass and strength, as well as filling in the space in their minds caused by the cryogenics with endless nightmares, to keep them aggressive. They were outlawed after the single war they were created for, because a few of them went insane and caused massive destruction. The antagonist had witnessed them hunt down all of his comrades, and was hunted down for years before he went into a cryogenic exile to escape them. When he woke up, he'd forgotten all about compassion and virtue by his long stay, and only remembered one thing- he wanted the humans to pay. He's obviously evil, but he has a reason. No criminal in the history of mankind that wasn't insane just killed for the sake of killing. And insane killers really aren't that memorable.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

quote:
Yes, but Shakespeare is still considered one of the greatest writers of all time, even today.

Ah, yes, but his farces are regarded primarily for their poetry, not for their plot structure!

Straws
Member # 1559

Quite true, and maybe it's just me, but I find his plot set up to be decently intruiging. I've seen better, but countless worse.
Tanglier
Member # 1313

I like the plots in his drama. I don't have that great of an ear or appreciation for poetry.
Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
the plots? were any truly his? i mean, he played an important role in popularizing old plotlines for his generation, but can you really give him credit for them?

but i guess that's what most writers do: give tired plotlines the rebirth they need and a new audience to appreciate them. although most of the time, alas, the writer never gets their version of the market because it's "been done."

ah! metaphor idea! Plots are like phoenixes, both can be born anew and leave a writer burned. {sigh}

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Straws
Member # 1559

Heheh, I'm guilty of digging up fossilized stories and reconstructing strange new versions of them. I once did a science fiction version of Antigone. Now THAT was a hard one.
Survivor
Member # 213

Hmmm, I would think that would be easier, actually. That entire plot was pretty far out.
Cosmi
Member # 1252

hmm, haven't heard "far out" for quite a while... Survivor, far out by today's standards or ancient Greece's? the whole proper burial thing didn't sound that far out to me for the culture she belonged to. or were you refering to Oedipus's situation?

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Straws
Member # 1559

The Oedipus situation was a fun read, but Antigone bored the hell out of me. My quest was to spice it up, and in the end I had a tragic tale involving a military base, a corrupt general, and an interesting action scene, not present in the original at all. What's important is that I found my own, upbeat version to be a better read than the original, which to me, even if no one else agrees, is an accomplishment.
Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
my my...can we spell 'hubris'? Personally, I find the greek tragedies quite exciting, spicy, whatever you are looking for in a thrilling story. They contain lots of violence, political intrigue and most of all human honesty. And if you think Shakespeare is old fashioned or hard to follow then find a Shakespeare festival near you and go to a play. I have been attending Ashland Oregon Shakespeare Festival for years and I never get tired of it. Ask yourself if there is some reason why people still read or attend Shakespeare's plays now, hundreds of years after they were written. Or, for that matter, the greek plays for thousands of years after they were written. I think there is a reason why these works are considered the foundation of today's literature. And now I have forgotten what started me on this...alas, methinks the lady doth protest too much...
Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I don't think it impossible that Straws could have come up with a better read than the play...for some audiences, at least. It may be hubris to actually say so, though

Of course, I'm always suspicious when I hear about a "rewrite" of a Greek tragedy...

Straws
Member # 1559

Don't get me wrong, I like tradgedies, especially ones that involve making you love a character, torturing them, and then leaving them worse than dead. Even better if they can do it to many, many characters. But Antigone, it just didn't cut it. I didn't care about Antigone enough to feel sorry for her. I felt a little bit sad for Haemon, but barely a tingle. Creon, he deserved that fate, no real tradgedy.
Survivor
Member # 213

You're not supposed to feel sorry for Antigone, she's totally a hero. And of course Creon deserves it, he's a screwup.

Sopholes' Antigone is totally righteous. 'Tis my favorite of all his works. How can you dare to attempt to rewrite it if you don't love it?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Survivor, trying to redo something so that you do love it is a valid approach to fiction.

It's a variation on the "I could do better than that!" cry that has motivated hundreds of writers.

You don't have to love everything about a work to want to redo it. If you loved everything about it, why bother redoing?

Only loving some things about a work and having ideas about what to do to make the rest better could very well be the itch that demands the most scratching for some people.

Straws
Member # 1559

If we didn't, why try writing at all? We'd only create second-rate work, and the only truly original work would be non-fiction. Just imagine how boring THAT would be.
Survivor
Member # 213

Hey! We're talking about a classic here. If you don't love it, then you don't understand it.

Yes, the "I could do better than that!" cry is perfectly legitimate as a motivation...when you aren't talking about a work that you almost certainly can't better (and I mean that "almost", since it is possible that you could do better).

And what is the matter with non-fiction? True stories are inherently more interesting than fictions. Just because a thing actually happened, that doesn't mean that it isn't an interesting story. The only problem with non-fiction is that 'tis so deucedly hard to get it right.

Anyway, I'm not making a general rule here. I'm saying that Antigone is such a great story that you have to love it or you demonstrably don't understand it well enough to do it justice.

Straws
Member # 1559

I understand it well enough, or so I think. The motivations, the detailed three dimensional characters, the implications towards society and their inner dillemas. I guess what it all comes down to is that I either wanted some form of action or a more shocking ending. I mean, honestly, who couldn't see that coming? It could just be me, since it's hailed as a great play, but something about it just made me despise it. Another possibility is that in my mind those interesting characters deserved a more interesting story. There was a great setup for possible political intrigue, but that was ignored. Also, any and all passion was wiped away, despite the implications. These characters DESERVED something that better showed off their structure.
Survivor
Member # 213

Despise? Despise!!?

I can't bear it anymore! No more!

Despise?

Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 

Someone forgot to take their anti-histrionic pills this morning.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Okay, let's calm down here, please.

People are entitled to their own reactions to things, but let's not get carried away.

For the sake of everyone's sensibilities, I declare the discussion of Antigone closed.

Let's find something else to talk about here.

Understand?

Cosmi
Member # 1252

Kathleen~

i don't understand what's wrong about trading constructive (though the potential lack of that adjective may in fact be why you closed the discussion) reactions (though maybe they should have their own thread) to literary works, especially those on pieces dubbed "classics". please explain.

TTFN & thanks

Cosmi

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I have no problem with well-thought-out, reasoned discussion of what works and what doesn't work for someone in any published material.

What I have a problem with is when the reasoning gives way to emotion that looks like it's going to get out of control.

Such things can lead to unpleasantness at best and flame wars and other such offenses at worst.

If we can't agree to disagree here, then things can get ugly, and I will step in to steer the discussion away from all of that.

As I said, well-thought-out, reasoned discussion is great. If someone wants to list, item-by-item, what doesn't work in a published piece, and then list, item-by-item, what that person considers to be solutions to what doesn't work, then fine.

Blanket statements are more troublesome, and just saying you despise something doesn't add much in the way of light to any discussion. In fact, without support for such a statement, all it really generates is heat.

I'm just asking for more light than heat around here.

Cosmi
Member # 1252

thanks for clearing things up, Kathleen.

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

You're welcome, Cosmi.

I hope it helps.

Straws
Member # 1559

Heh, I seem to attract trouble even when I try not to. Sorry 'bout that.
mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
To reply to what this thread started off as, most of Shakespeares commedies and tragedies dealt with misunderstandings.

However, in movies, I have also seen them in such classics as Dark Star, the man with the one read shoe, the man who knew too little, and milk money. I think that some of Hichcocks movies stemmed from type of theme also - Rear Window, The Lady Vanishes. -- even Diabolique can fall under that, since after all, by the end you realize that everyone misunderstood what was going on.

Also, having people misunderstand each other is very common. Just look at a married couple who actually talk (as opposed to those who pretty much know each other well enough that they don't) and you will see miscommunications left and right.

Someone says "the computer isn't working" and what they meant is that it isn't working the way they want it to, which might have no bearing on reality. This could lead to great conversations that get worse and worse.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Or the classic "Explain why..." question followed by the ever popular "Why do you always lecture me?"
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't followed this thread at all but I remember the heading and thought of a plot device that I hate that could fall under the "misunderstanding" label.

I'm imploring all writers to please avoid this like the plague. I've seen it done recently in an otherwise outstanding movie, and also in a fantasy book I recently finished reading that was one of many things contributing to the books horibleness.

It goes like this:

"I don't know what you're talking about," the butler pleaded. "I've never saw Mr. Timm on his last day alive and I never seen him wear a red bow tie."

The detective spun around, rasing his eyebrow skeptically. "What did you say?"

"Mr. Timm never wore a red bow tie."

The detective smiled. "I never told you that Vick Timm was wearing a red bow tie at the time he was murdered."

"I---I---I have no idea what you're talking about," the butler stammered.

"The only way you could know that Timm was wearing a red bow tie at the time of his death is if you are in fact the murderer. I'm placing you under arrest you the murder of Vick Timm. You have the right..."

Now, this is a really bad example but I think you get my point. Was this even original or clever the firs ttime it was done??? Why do writers still use this? Please let's band together and stop it here and now!!!!

It's even worse when you can see it a mile away. The book I was speaking of was told solely from the protagonist POV and she kept thinking about the information she was holding back from her companion. Worst yet, you knew from the start that her companion was one of the bad guys, so you knew this information would come into play.

WHY????? WHY???? STOP THE LAMENESS!!!!!

JOHN!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited January 31, 2003).]

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yes, this is almost as much a cliche as having a murder solved by finding the person whose fingerprints match those found on the murder weapon.

In fact, 'tis an older and more common cliche, because it is an actual detective technique that has been used for thousands of years.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.