Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I DID IT!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE I DID IT!!!!!!

Author Topic: I DID IT!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE I DID IT!!!!!!
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
I had to share this with you all. After a year of my life, countless man hours, and 139,015 words, I finally did it.

I FINISHED WRITING MY NOVEL!!!!!!!! Yes, the story you all endured me rambling about is finally complete. I have no idea what I'm going to do at work now, but it feels good to have it done.

Well, I hAve some massive editing to do, as I just finished and need to start cleaning it up. Thanks guys---you all have been a big help whether you know it or not, and if by an act of God I get published you all have a place on my ackowledgements page.

JOHN!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! Isn't it a great feeling to finish something?? Especially something so big and something that consumed so much of your life. Enjoy!!
Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
A hearty pat on the back, John! You've set yourself apart from that immense group of people who say they're going to write a novel "someday" and from those who start but never finish one. It is a worthwhile accomplishment.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
reid
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for reid           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I wish you the best of luck in getting it published. Keep us posted.

Brian

Posts: 63 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on your accomplishment! May you have happy editing for the Queen and the Soldier in the days to come! (But celebrate first )
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Straws
Member # 1559

- posted      Profile for Straws           Edit/Delete Post 
Very, very nice. So, since I've yet to hear much in the ways of ramblings, do you have some specs you'd wish to share?
Posts: 58 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 1262

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! Now the painful part starts.
Posts: 119 | Registered: Sep 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
No words can express enough how monumental an accomplishment this is for you. Many congratulations and best wishes for an eventual publication. The BIG hurdle is behind you... polishing is far easier than writing.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Harold Godwinson
Member # 1560

- posted      Profile for Harold Godwinson           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulatons. Make sure you take a little time to enjoy this monumental moment.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! Now once the empty feeling passes the hard part starts.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats John, that's truly fantastic.

I hope to join you amongst the ranks of novel-completers sometime soon!

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

Thanks guys, the congratulations mean a lot. You can tell your friends and family that you’ve finished your manuscript and while they’re happy for you, they really don’t understand what it’s like to put a piece of yourself on paper, (well 632 pieces of paper to be exact)

I did some fine tuning as I went, so editing won’t be too bad, but it is a fantasy story, and I just need to make sure my world in functional, and I didn’t contradict myself along the way. I also have a writer friend to help me out, and lives for an opportunity to point out my shortcomings.

For those who haven’t heard my ramblings (to those that have I apologize) The story opens with the male protagonist who seems to be nothing more than a drunk. Through dream sequences and drunken hallucinations we find out that he was once the Queen’s Champion, war hero, knight, and the Queen’s love. We also find out the Queen was assassinated and that’s the reason he’s been a drunk vagabond the last two years. I know the dream sequences are lame, but there is a rhyme and reason to them and they flow pretty naturally. Anyway, as serious of events leads him back to his home, and on a journey with a foreign princess. That’s where the prophecies and all the other archetypes of fantasy writing start to come to play. I know that’s vague, but it’s more of a character driven thing.

The way I think of it is this…the knight would rather drink himself into oblivion then slay dragons, the blonde haired, blue eyed fairy tale queen is dead, and from the description of the true female protagonist, she can only be imagined as a African-American woman. Again it’s more complicated than that, but basically, I want people to read my book, expecting they’re going to get the status quo and then somewhere in the middle be like, “What the f**k?” and then get to the end and be like, “Dear Christ that was a good book. I can’t believe it all came together.”

I think it’s marketable because people who I work with and have no real relationship with are enthralled. I just hope it has the same effect on submission editors. Got work on that synopsis though.

Thanks again guys!!!!!!!!!!! I haven’t been this excited since I lost my virginity---sadly, this is much more gratifying.

JOHN!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited January 21, 2003).]

Marianne
Member # 1546

John,
I am glad we are able to share at least one milestone in your life
Again, good work!

Marianne

Harold Godwinson
Member # 1560

- posted      Profile for Harold Godwinson           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it’s marketable because people who I work with and have no real relationship with are enthralled. I just hope it has the same effect on submission editors. Got work on that synopsis though.

I wonder if you have to worry. From your description of the novel, it sounds like something I would like to read.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 1512

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy   Email Jon Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so cool, John. One of these days, I'll get around to starting a novel. I need to stop procrastinating. Best of luck to you.
Posts: 83 | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanglier
Member # 1313

- posted      Profile for Tanglier   Email Tanglier         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh!! I am so JEALOUS!!!

Chris.

PS. Thumbs up, man. I hear the first one is the hardest...don't remember where, though.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I haven’t been this excited since I lost my virginity---sadly, this is much more gratifying.
That is sad. Makes me wonder if I'm really all that keen on losing my own virginity....

Seriously, though, rock on...er, write on, I mean.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
DragynGide
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for DragynGide   Email DragynGide         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd make an evil comment, but, well, it'd be evil.

On another note, I hear that the second novel is actually the hardest. I'm inclined to believe this: you've poured your heart and soul out into the first book, and now you're going to do it... again???

Shasta

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

The second is not as hard as the first---unless it's a second in a series. I've done 5 complete novels and each one has gotten easier--the last done in 32 days.

Congrats again----good luck on the synop, they are pure hell.

Shawn

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
So that's where your soul went, you heartless wench (spelled Mruh hah hah hah)
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
JOHN! Big congratulations! Do yourself a favor and treat yourself to a few days, or even a week or so, before diving into the editing process. The results will be much better than if you immediately open page one and start editing if you give yourself a little space.

Edited to add: Just read your kind thank you in the other thread and wanted to say, "my pleasure!"

[This message has been edited by Hildy9595 (edited January 29, 2003).]

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

This actually is my second, although the first was just about 40,000 words. I don't know if it's a realllllllly long short story or a really short novella. I never got around to editing that one all the way through.

I'm working on this one and it's just the gglaring mistakes that bother me. I talk about how the queen wraps her arms around her champion's waist, and buries her head in his chest sobbing. He can feel her heart beat against his chest and the softness of her skin. Well, she would've knocked herself out, and he wouldn't have been able to feel a thing since he had his full armor on at teh time. D'oh! Man, sometimes I really suck.

JOHN!

Marianne
Member # 1546

Shawn,
You wrote a novel in 32 days? I think Faulkner wrote as I Lay Dying in about 2 weeks, albeit it is short.

Have you submitted and of your novels to a publisher?

srhowen
Member # 462

73,000 words in 32 days, and not as bad as I thought on the rewriting I am doing. It is book 2 in a series. Book one is with an agent. No word yet on a possible sale, but I hope soon.

I have submitted two others, but they were of the high fantasy sort. This series is alternate history with time travel. It was my formula book--I followed all the "rules" about first novels, word length, chapter length, plot, sub-plots ect. I learned a lot in doing it that way and my writing has improved a lot because of it.

Can't type today, was carrying wood in the house last night and twisted my wrist. Hmm, they should have writers insurance I can only type one handed so should get compensation. LOL

On a side note, I do make money from writing. I help writers with their query letters and submission packages. And do some freelance editing for publishers and agents (haven’t for a bit while I concentrate on my own stuff).

The biggest thing I have learned—no matter what your work can always be improved. Accept the advice of those who have already been on the place in the path you have and don’t be afraid to try a new method.

Shawn

Enders Star
Member # 1578

- posted      Profile for Enders Star   Email Enders Star         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm the feeling of finishing something. This novel I work on at times (even at 16) keeps me busy and I haven't finished anything I've ever started writing, well there was this one time. I am happy for you John. Maybe one day I'll know what it feels like to finish a rough drafted novel.
Posts: 59 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.