Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Using another font issue

Author Topic: Using another font issue
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 

Hi all -

I'm rewriting a manuscript in new courier - but there's a feature of a the story that *demands* a different font. Bold or italics will not do.

I've read that agents don't like seeing lots of different fonts, so I'm looking on feedback regarding the issue.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
In your cover you can make a note of it--explain why you used a different font. I wonder why you need one though. If you are thinking of what the book will look like published as in some sections that look handwritten but not italics--that's often something worked out before the book goes to print.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Shawn. I'm using a completely alien species in SF, and the form of communication utlised strongly intimates that I must use a different font to create the required emphasis. I'll look to make a note in the synopsis.
reid
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for reid           Edit/Delete Post 
Chronicles-

As I recall, OSC would set apart the hive queen's mind speak like this:

<Hello Ender.>

I thought it worked well for him; however, you might try first to convey the strangeness of your alien form of communication through the language you use and the way human characters react to it.

Regards,

Brian

Posts: 63 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the best way to indicate that you want a different font for certain parts of the text is to do it the same way that editors tell typesetters they want to have italics in the text.

What you do for italics is underline the text to be italicized and then in the margin write "ital" (without the quote marks).

In the case of your story, you should include what is called a "style sheet" and in that explain that you want a different font for the aliens and that you have indicated where the font is to be used by underlining and writing something like "alien font" in the margin.

Style sheets are something every writer should use whenever there is going to be something special or different or unusual in the text.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

reid -

A most excellent suggestion. It would make the MSS look much neater. Now I can worry about using an actual different font when I have an agent and a publishing contract!

mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
Something to keep in mind is how you are going to submit your manuscript.

I was reading one a publishers website that they take electronic formats, however it has to be in Times (though I think Courier is actually another option), and the only variation in can be italics. Their reasoning is that many computers won't read something exactly the same way even with the same software (and of course their is the fact that not everyone has the same fonts).

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.