Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The Writing Funk Blues

Author Topic: The Writing Funk Blues
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever gone a long time without writing because you immediately hate everything and anything you put down on paper?

It's been a few weeks since I've written anything I like, and I don't know how to get out of this self-imposed slump; the longer I put it off, the harder it became, and now...well, I'm writing, but I don't much like what I've written.

How do you get out of such a slump? I say slump because this isn't writer's block...I don't think. The ideas come as easily and as freely as they every have (which sounds a lot easier that it truly is, I'll admit) but any attempt to record said ideas ends in a disasterous tornado of crumpled paper shed tears. Okay, not so much the tears, but the other stuff is true.

Any advice?

Chris

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've got advice. You need to do more writing and less crumpling.

It sounds like you've got a crisis of confidence. It's natural to criticize your own work and revise it. But you're criticizing your work so heavily that you destroy it rather than revise it. You have become impatient.

If you are ever going to be a serious writer, you need to learn patience. It is easy to become a master of the English language. But to become a great writer you must become the master of your own mind. That task is much more difficult.

If you want some exercises to help you become more patient, just ask. I'm sure I can dream something up.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
tamalynn
Member # 1304

- posted      Profile for tamalynn   Email tamalynn         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel your pain. <grins> I still hate, or am dissatisfied, with most of what I write when I write.

If there's anything I picked up from my brief stint with NaNoWriMo, it's that I'll tend to write more, and better, if I just keep going, and don't look back. Focus on telling the story as clearly as you can, and don't worry if the first draft isn't pretty. Assuming that your original ideas are sound, you ought to be able to hit some flow of good writing eventually, and reach the point where things "click".

And boy, do I ever need to take my own advice. Hope that helps...

Posts: 35 | Registered: Dec 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. I went almost 10 years without writing at all, because I got to the point where I didn't like what I wrote.

I just read the toher day about someone - whose name absolutely escapes me - who would sit at his take every day for 8 hours, write about three lines, and erase three lines during the course of those 8 hours, however, in the end great books came from that author.

I currently have a handful of stories that I either started, or had done a scene for and then set aside, because I couldn't think of anything that sounded plausable to get them from where the characters were to where I wanted them to go.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, and everyone else, for that matter, what you have described is a VERY GOOD SIGN.

This "slump" (and that's really not a bad name for it--as good a name as any) is an important stage that writers go through as they improve and learn and grow.

What is happening is that as you improve and learn and grow, your critical abilities have outpaced your writing abilities. You just don't improve and learn and grow everything at the same speed.

The thing that is crucial about this time is that many potentially great writers are probably lost to the world because they let their hatred for their work stop them from continuing on. And they never get to the greatness that is in them.

While I've never been much of a runner, I understand that there is a point in a long race where something happens that runners call "hitting the wall." This is the point where they have run hard and long and they feel that they've used up everything that they have to give. It's the point when they think they just can't go any further. There seems to be a "wall" of fatique, pain, stress that they just can't get past.

Runners have found, however, that if they just keep going, if they just hang in there, they will break through that wall and be able to run as they had never believed they could.

This writer's "slump" is analoguous to the runner's "wall."

Right now, you hate what you write because you have learned to be more critical and discerning about what is good writing. You are also learning how to get closer to writing what is good, but you aren't learning that as fast as you are learning how to see what is good.

If you keep writing, keep improving (even though you can't see it), your writing abilities will catch up with your critical abilities, and you won't hate your work any more.

Just hang in there. It will get better if you do.

You will see that you are improving.

Just don't give up.

(One little warning about all of this: this kind of thing can happen more than once as a writer improves and grows and learns, so be prepared. It's part of the process, and it will be worth it if you keep at it.)

I really hope this helps.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Amen, Kathleen. If you are disgusted by everything you are writing, that only means you aren't writing to your own standards now, not that you never will be able to write something you think is good. Sometimes, a rigorous rewriting of something I care about but doesn't feel right can get me back on track. Or even editing someone else's stuff--it's easier when it's further away from my own. Sometimes (ashamed to admit this), a compliment from a reader can restore my confidence that not everything I write is terrible, even while I can improve. And sometimes it helps to just think, away from the writing itself, about exactly what it is that isn't working for you. Be objective: "All my characters feel like the same person," or "My descriptions are cliche and boring," etc. are good, constructive comments. And then practice writing vivid descriptions or unique characters. Do some research if you need to. Find out how, and pretty soon you'll find that weakness has become one of your greatest strengths.
Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, been there, done that-- numerous times. As frustrating as slumps are, they don't bother me that much anymore only because I know I'll get over it. Sometimes it just means I need a break from writing, and I spend the time (that I would've spent writing) reading. More often than not, this kicks me out of my slump... I'll be inspired by a turn of a phrase, an idea, a plot twist, a character, or even a theme and poof! I'm back in the game.

Another thing that I do is what I affectionally call "writing crap." Not that the writing is bad, but I'll just craft a scene that is completely detached from EVERYTHING that I'm working on or have on the back burner. Sometimes the freedom of just creating-- without the burden of it having to flow into something else, ie story or novel-- "frees" me from my slump.

Hope that helps. If nothing else, know that we've all been in the same boat at one time or another.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
DragynGide
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for DragynGide   Email DragynGide         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I read this.

Shasta

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm in a slump, but for very different reasons, it seems (forget recently buying a house and all...). Lately, for me, it's just been even wanting to devote ANY time to my writing. I've done some thinking on this, and I think I know why, but it's not making breaking out of my slump any easier.

The first is I just don't feel like I have anything worthwhile to write about. I've got so much on my brain lately, weighty stuff, like politi-social issues in the US and the world. I'm very interested, very concerned, and I spend a lot of time reading, thinking, talking, and generally feeling helpless and frustrated because I want to do something that makes a difference. So when I try to write about little Isabele Marrie Pinkerton (my latest character) and her lucky pennies, it just doesn't really seem all that significant and important. It's not going to "make a difference", so why should I put energy into it? Or something like that.

The other is that I like to compose long hand, writing with pen in my notebook. Then going to computer. At least that's how I've done it in the past. Thing is, though, that right now the length of the process, the pace at which I'm getting anything done (or not done) is frustrating me. I think I need to try to start composing directly on the computer, to just get things down and the ideas out. What I fear, though, is two things: One, that I'll start editing as I write, which is easier to do on the PC and was why I liked composing longhand - it slowed me down, but also made the first draft more "permanant" and would save the editing for the second round. Two, that without that leap from the notebook (draft one) to the PC (draft two and three and final), I'll just feel like I'm rewriting and editing all the time. Not sure, but that's how it seems sometimes.

So, they say the first step towards resolution is knowing you have a problem. Well, I think I know what my problems are, I just need to set out to tackle them.

JP

[This message has been edited by JP Carney (edited February 07, 2003).]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

JP, first off-- HI!! It's been far too long since we've talked. We have to catch up...

Now on to your post. You said, "The first is I just don't feel like I have anything worthwhile to write about. I've got so much on my brain lately, weighty stuff, like politi-social issues in the US and the world. I'm very interested, very concerned, and I spend a lot of time reading, thinking, talking, and generally feeling helpless and frustrated because I want to do something that makes a difference. So when I try to write about little Isabele Marrie Pinkerton (my latest character) and her lucky pennies, it just doesn't really seem all that significant and important. It's not going to "make a difference", so why should I put energy into it? Or something like that."

I have 2 comments. The easiest being who cares if a piece of writing isn't all that significant and important? Just because the world may be facing serious times right now doesn't mean that people don't want something lighter... We still need to laugh, to reach out to something that perhaps speaks of better times, regardless of what may be going on around us. There is ALWAYS a place for something less than the great American novel or maximum opus. For myself, that's pretty much why I only read fantasy. I want a complete break from anything that smacks of reality.

Secondly, perhaps if you're so focused on what's going on in the world-- you mention that you're reading a lot about it, talking about it, thinking about it-- why not turn that into something to write about? For example, one of the stories that I have on the back burner is basically an alternate history novel that sets Nazi Germany and the Holocaust into a fantasy setting (Turtledove did something similar with the Civil War, I think it's called Sentry's Peak or something like that). We had been watching several WW2 movies and documentaries (gotta love the Discovery CHannel) that made me really stop to think about the Holocaust and how it ever could have happened (how could anyone do such heinous things to another person?), and I started thinking that perhaps I could write a book that explored those questions for me. Maybe I'd find answers in the process, and maybe others who read it would find new questions and answers for themselves.

Anyway, hope that helps some...

PS: On behalf of my fellow military personnel, if you wanted to do something that made a difference, then support your military! I can't speak for the other branches so much as the USAF, but I would assume that all have agencies designed to help families deal with deployment. Thousands of us are being given deployment orders, and facing not only leaving family behind, but also living in a harsh environment. As to the homefront, there are agencies that can help. For the USAF, for instance, you could contact your nearest base's Air Force Aid Society. I guarantee you that they'll find something that you could do-- be it volunteer or donate-- that will help families. As to helping deploying troops, they are leaving a world of comforts behind, not the least of which is reading. You could contact your nearest base's public affairs office for help in starting a donations drive-- I've heard of people donating books (surely there's something in your library you could donate?), foot powder, deoderant, etc to help make deployment easier.

Just having a book to read, a good pair of Gor-Tex socks, or fleece lined gloves can make all the difference to our deployed troops' morale.

[This message has been edited by SiliGurl (edited February 07, 2003).]

JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
Could be worse---at least you have the writing funk blues and not the everything in my life sucks funk blues.

JOHN!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited February 07, 2003).]

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to address something that Siligurl said and I know this is not the forum for it...so just quickly...I heard that military personel shipping out in San Diego were having trouble finding a place for their pets...vets and kennels were full, so if you live near a base and can babysit a dog or cat...call the base maybe and look in to it.
Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
JP, I agree with what Siligurl said about not writing what isn't important to you right now. I'd go on to add that you don't need to try to figure out how to turn your concerns into fiction, if that doesn't appeal to you. Go ahead and write articles on the things you've been talking about and send them to places that take op-ed stuff.

Sharing your thoughts in this way is another way you can make a difference about the things that matter to you. And who knows? Other great careers have started that way, and you may be moving in that direction, too.

SiliGurl
Member # 922

Marianne, that's a great suggestion! As a pet owner myself, I don't know what I would do for my animals if I weren't married. Good idea! Also, many bases have a vet clinic on base and you could try there as well.

Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Go ahead and write articles on the things you've been talking about and send them to places that take op-ed stuff.

Are there op-ed places that actually pay for op-eds? Or do only celebrities qualify for payment? Or do they even get paid for them? My experience is newpapers want freebies, and from what I understand, you can't use unpaid work as writing samples with queries.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Unpaid work doesn't count for fiction, but I think it might be different with nonfiction.

At the very least, if you write and publish enough, you may develop a readership, and it could lead to things like columns, and speaking engagements, and who knows what else.

srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Gadds, whatever you do don't dump your pet!!!! The area around Ft Hood is flooded with abandon animals. We have 5 cats already, 4 rescues--can't take anymore.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
mags
Member # 1570

stupid question time... what is an "op ed"?
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Op-ed = opinion editorial, found on the editorial page(s) of a newspaper. That's where you'll find the syndicated columnists, but also pieces from the general population (as opposed to a shorter "letter to the editor.")
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The term can also be constructed as "opposed editorial", either because it generally represents opinions divergent from those of the editor or because it is often placed on the page opposite the editorial.

And note the spelling that Kolona used. "Op ed" doesn't have an alternate meaning, but "op-ed" is generally considered more (if not exclusively) correct.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
mags
Member # 1570

thanks guys, that clears that one up.
cvgurau
Member # 1345

Wow. Just...wow.

Who would've thought that this funk i've been in lately (correction: WAS. I've been writing, and I'm kinda proud to say it doesn't suck ) was normal! 'Cause I certainly didn't. It's good to know that my paranoid delusions about this being the end of my writing...hobby, because it's not really a career, were just that: delusions.

Thanks, guys. You've all really helped, and I've once again been reminded of why I'm priveleged to know the lot of you.

Cheers to you all (Don't know why I said that...I'm neither British nor Austrailian),

Chris.

PS: Siligurl, you're in the USAF? (A stupid question, perhaps.) If it isn't too big of a bother, could you tell me some of the qualifications in joining? I realize I could search online, but this is the first time I've been online in weeks, and have been mulling it over AFTER losing my connection. Also, this is the first site I went to, and I'm taking an opportunity.

Thanks again,

Chris

SiliGurl
Member # 922

Chris, I couldn't really speak for the qualifications for enlisted troops and would hate to give you misinformation. Your best resource is www.af.mil; that'll give you a lot of general information about current USAF news, and there's a link for people interested in joining.

As for officers, it's highly competitive. You have to have a college degree (the more technical, the better, ie computers, math, science). You have to be of an age that you would be commissioned before the age of 33 (I think). You have to exemplify our core values of integrity, service before self, and excellence in all you do, and you'll need to be able to demonstrate this through your interview, application, and letters of recommendation.

If you want any more info-- such as what Officer Training School is like, USAF specialities, more info about the application process, or about military life-- email me and I'll be happy to share. I love being in the Air Force and am grateful to be able to serve. I'm happy to share what insights I have!

Jennifer

cvgurau
Member # 1345

Okay, we know that the Writing Funk Blues is normal, expected, even. It's a part of being a writer, it's nothing to worry about...yeah, uh huh. Good. Now, how do you beat the blues?

Chris

Cosmi
Member # 1252

- posted      Profile for Cosmi   Email Cosmi         Edit/Delete Post 
to quote Kathleen: "write on!"

TTFN & lol

Cosmi

Posts: 160 | Registered: Aug 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while, and I am sure glad I opened this topic. Thanks, Kathleen, for the Feb 6 post; very insightful and inspiring.
Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.