Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The search for an agent---

Author Topic: The search for an agent---
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Today, I got a letter from the agent considering my novel for representation.

I now officially have an agent!

Just had to share.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Right on! Congrats!
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
too cool! I'll be praying for success!
Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
slickaway
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for slickaway   Email slickaway         Edit/Delete Post 
A more pragmatic response to you: How did you go about finding an agent who was not only reputable but interested in an unknown writer of Sci-Fi/Fantasy?

If you dont mind the asking, that is...

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

wow, it feels cool to be asked that question.

First off, I finished the book, and made sure it was the best possible example of my work. This wasn’t easy. I had to swallow ideas that I had about my writing and writing in general. Basically, I had to hate the work enough to be willing to see its flaws. A good crit group helped as well.

I started out with buying a copy of The Guide to Literary Agents. It's by Writers Digest Books. I also subscribed to their web site so I was aware of changes and new openings. I used Google search for literary agents, and I paid for a subscription to a couple of different publishing industry news letters and web sites.

I crafted a careful query. I followed industry guidelines and then refined by looking at agent web sites and writing for guidelines before I subbed. Some say they are open to new authors.

In truth, it’s hit and miss. I sent out 67 queries on this novel. About 40 were straight up rejections---some form letters and a lot of personal comments, both good and bad. The other 27 were requests for further material. At first I sent the partials and synops-----

Sadly, I learned quickly that even reputable publishers like WD have agents listed that are scam artists. We loved your book but it could be better if you paid us to edit it for you----blah blah. We charge a reading fee of------ Due to the number of submissions we receive we need xxx to hire a new agent to read subs----- ON and on they went.

Pretty soon I figured out that I needed to research each agent that asked for a partial. I used Google and put in each agents names. I was surprised at the number of complaints I found. I ended up turning down some base don what I found out.

Then I humbled and did the research before I sent anything. I looked over client lists. If they were not willing to share a client list—I ran the other way. I contacted a client or two and asked what the agency was like.

The agent I now have I found in Publishers Market Place. They rep some big name authors, Leonard Nimoy and John DeLanci are two of them. I found an author among them who writes in a similar genre that I do and I looked over their query page carefully and made my letter as close to possible to their guidelines.

Ask questions, do you get a report regularly? Are they a member of the AAR? And check them out. I did contact a client and we e-mailed a few times.

Above all be professional and persistent. It took 12 rewrites, and 67 queries to find this one.

There are some basic things not to do in a query and some to do’s. The agent book I mentioned can help you with those.

Good luck with your search.

Shawn

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done!
Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
That's fantastic, Shawn! Congrats!
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Shawn!!!
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
slickaway
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for slickaway   Email slickaway         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks...as you can imagine I expected a curt answer the likes of: "Hard work."

Again, much appreciated...

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

Well, hard work about sums it up-----LOL

Shawn

Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Shawn, for sharing a real world success story. You are a living, breathing example of stick-to-it-tiveness paying off in the end.

Of course, the fact that you are an excellent writer also helped, I'm sure. Congratulations!

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
That's wonderful news, Shawn!

Go get 'em. And let me know when you'll be in Cleveland for a book signing.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.