Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Greetings to you all...and a question.

Author Topic: Greetings to you all...and a question.
AMMOND
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for AMMOND   Email AMMOND         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I'm new here so I thought I would introduce myself. I'm 21 and an aspiring sci/fi writer. I've watched many many books. I say watched because I see them more like a movie in my mind then words on paper. Does that happen to you? I just started reading the boards last week so I have alot of catching up to do.

I would like to pose a question, I hope it hasent't been covered yet: When does it become plagerism when you use others ideas to create your own environment?

Let me clarify. I like Peter Hamilton, in his books he constantly refers to neural nanonics, and Bitek. If you need clarifcation I suggest you read the novels they are very good IMHO. Or you can ask me too Anyway, as a natural extension of both technologies I thought of attoites. Extreamly small biological entities that function like nanonics. A bilogical computer for your brain. Is that plagerism?

I would like to write about this and other technologies that I have adapted from other writers I admire but I don't want to be a copy cat.

Please help.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by AMMOND (edited February 26, 2003).]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
SCWebber
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for SCWebber   Email SCWebber         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's plagerism, but some people will shun the idea if they think it's already been done. Not everyone will. You have a lot of Fantasies that some people consider to be Tolkien rip offs, while others enjoy that type of story and don't mind going through the formula again.

Finding original ideas is hard to do. But if you take something that was a key item and unique in one story and make it a key item in your own, you will probably receive some criticism from some people.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Apr 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
AMMOND
Member # 1601

Good point Webber. I shouldn't make it the most key point but it would play a signifigant role.
SCWebber
Member # 91

Card used the ansible which I think was a Le Guin idea, and he was easily forgiven by readers (as far as I know) so I think you may be all right. If by nanonics you mean nanomachines, then I think you'll be safe exploiting it since it's made its way into quite a few stories now-a-days.
SCWebber
Member # 91

Also, I think the more realistic or tangible the idea may seem, the more easily accepted it may end up.
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
A good way to avoid any hint of plagarism would be to do some research in the field outside of Halmilton's books. Find out what you can on how nanonics and attoites would really work. Pick up the jargon that is used today to describe it. Perhaps create some new jargon yourself. That will help distance your work from Peter's, and also might help you find a new direction or tone that would make your work completely unique.

But as long as you stick to the grand ideas, and don't use too many of the specific jargon or history that Peter created, I would think that you should be fine.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
As OSC pointed out, so many science fiction stories have used hyperspace and hyperdrive that if someone invents it, Hyperdrive is almost certainly what they'll call it.

He's right, of course. There comes a point when a fictional idea is so commonplace that when the real thing is invented it gets that name. Robots and Virtual Reality come to mind immediately. Nanotechnology probably qualifies, too.

Use one of these and you are safe. Give your characters a matter teleportation device called a "transporter" and readers will think you haven't got an imaginative bone in your body.

Your case lies somewhere in between. You (or your publisher or agent) will need to make a judgement call based on the popularity and pervasiveness of Hamilton's works at the time you are published.

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited February 27, 2003).]

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a side note, attometer scale technology couldn't reasonably be based on biological entities. Even a very simple biological organism like a virus is more nano-scale than atto-scale.

Card not only used the "philotic parallex" communicator, he actually said that the name "ansible" was dug out of an old book.

And everyone is right. You don't want to use the made up science of other writers for your story ideas. Use real science, then make up your own twist on it.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
AMMOND
Member # 1601

I agree that it would be very hard for life to exist at 10^-28 of a meter but certaintly something intellegent could exist at that level. Beside atto is much nicer sounding then femto!

All of your posts have been very helpful thanks for your advise. But I would like to create some technology that is mellinia(sp?) beyond what is even theory at present. I know that would be hard because our ideas are shaped by our environment but our imigination has no timescale or limits.

If I take a fictional technology (someone eles' idea) that has a basis in current science and try to think of where that technology might evolve to would it not then become my idea? I could be compleatly turned around on this and if so I apologize.

I look foward to your thoughts!

Thanks

[This message has been edited by AMMOND (edited February 27, 2003).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Yes, but...

Current science is always a good bit ahead of current science fiction. After all, during the time it takes for a writer to get an idea from the actual science, absorb some of the implications, turn it into a story, and publish (plus the time it takes you as a reader to become aware of that book, buy it, read it, develop your own implications, and finally look up enough of the science to write your own story without being derivative), science will have advanced a few steps in several different directions. Curse of the modern age, man. Even I don't stay current with everything.

If you don't appraise yourself of the actual science that underlies someone else's fictional technology before extending that technology, then your work will be recognizably derivative. I cite here the parable of the cartographer and the map seller. A cartographer tries to make a very accurate map, so accurate that the cartographer himself does not have any claim on the information contained in the map. A map seller tries to make his map accurate enough to sell, but always includes elements that do not reflect reality so that if someone copies his map (instead of using the services of the cartographer), he can claim copyright infringement.

The same thing inevitably happens in science fiction. A writer simply makes up parts of the science he wants for a story. Those made up elements become a distinctive "artifact" of that writers work. When you copy another writer's 'science' without reviewing the actual science it is based on, you will also copy those "artifacts", and anyone reading your work will recognize it as being derived from that other writer's stories.

Although this is not a matter of copyright infringement or anything like that, it does peg your work as derivative. Only firmly extablished "conventions" are free of this limitation, and only to the extent that the actual words "hyperdrive", "ansible", "sub-space", "nanobot" etc. have essentially entered the English language. The particular 'scientific' explanations you use to describe such things ought to be your own (ex. OSC makes up his own justification for the 'ansible' that is unlike anything suggested by LeGuin and integrates with the rest of his science).

Not all artifacts are bad. Eventually, many of them actually do become conventions. But only when the idea itself is taken in isolation from the fictional science that underlies it. Which means that you have to make up your own science anyway.

Being derivative isn't bad either, if you write within a...what do you call it? You know, Star Wars and Star Trek novels and suchlike. But if you are trying to pass of your ideas as your own--inspired by actual science--and instead they are clearly taken from another writer, it will not sell very well. Or at least, it shouldn't

Enders Star
Member # 1578

- posted      Profile for Enders Star   Email Enders Star         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read many many books that include either a resembling design of some sort of spaceship, or some sort of viral book after viral that says one thing it kills everyone. I don't shun them for the different plots. I'm not bothered by it either. if I had read the book you are talking about then took on your story you are writing I wouldn't mind. A difference in topic is always great. I am writing a story about someone in a futuristic military and uses the same techno suit almost as it is in Starship Troopers. now the only thing weird is mine is about someone who leaves when he graduates like ST (starship troopers) and joins the military. That is the only similarity in plot. Everything is completly different, now someone tell me if you would shun on just that one little borrowed mirror?
Posts: 59 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
sorry guys, but what the heck is "atto-scale"??

As far as the nanotechnology, there are more and more articles and books coming out what seems like daily on the subject. The other day I was reading something about having virus' that can be assembled out of misc. parts in a chemical solution. they don't need to start with live stuff to build virus' and they can build them in a lab now.

- check out some of the science mag's and the web for infomation on this. Adding it to the ideas that you already have about what you want to use Hamilton's base ideas for and adding with what is current in science will take your reading farther.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the rest of you---but if an idea is borrowed, I do not respect that author. Think of it this way, what if you opened a book and saw your idea "borrowed"? Would you be happy?

Shawn

[This message has been edited by srhowen (edited February 28, 2003).]

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

When you say "barrowed", are you talking about what happens to pigs?

Atto-scale refers to things about a billionth of the scale of things that are nano-scale. I think that small neutronium machines and other objects that are about the same size as a large atomic nucleus fall into this catagory. Femto-scale is individual atoms (the whole thing, not just the nucleus) and pico-scale is simple organic compounds (like a single amino acid).

I don't think that atto-scale machines could be reasonably expected to do anything but help you make other atto-scale devices, they would just be to small to do much else. Well, they could assist nuclear fusion (or fission), but the technology for nuclear fusion is far less complex than creating atto-scale machines. Well, they would also be capable of transforming one element into any other element by directly engineering the nuclear structure of the atom...so you could turn lead into gold...or synthesize Elerium-115 I suppose that they would also be capable of...no...that wouldn't work...not saying that any of the rest of this would.

Anyway, don't borrow someone else's inventions. Look to what you can find in the real world, then supplement it with your own imaginings.

AMMOND
Member # 1601

Agreed, I will research cutting edge technology and then attempt to create a much more advanced version of that technology.

Now, back to this atto debate. If I may be the devil's advocate, attometer scale machines would be extreamly useful. In a shapeshifting applicaiton the machines could create the new cells at a subatomic level. They would also be useful for engeneering amazingly tough substances, new metals, new composits. They would be able to rearrange the building blocks of matter.
In a neural enhancement application they would be able to create a hardrive in your brain and be small enough to be ignored by your body.

Besides, and I maintain that, atto still sounds much better then femto. LOL.

Survivor
Member # 213

AMMOND, I don't think that you're paying enough attention to just how small an atto-scale machine would be. We're not just talking about something smaller than an atom, we're talking about things that are smaller than the nucleus of the atom. They cannot reasonably interact with normal matter in anything like conventional ways.

Yes, they could be in your brain or anywhere else in your body and pretty much be ignored, because they are to small to do anything to normal matter except transmutation of elements. But by the same token they would be pretty useless for a neurocybernetic interface or any kind of medical application.

By the way, how do you feel about pico-scale, just as a euphonious alternative?

And I get the title of devil's advocate, since I'm the one arguing against the advanced proposal

Enders Star
Member # 1578

- posted      Profile for Enders Star   Email Enders Star         Edit/Delete Post 
Shawn you may not like my answer. I wouldn't mind as long as their plot was not a rip off of mine. borrowing technologies I create in my mind or things I find off the web with help that I write on paper won't bother me.
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had it happen to me---seen one of my characters (and their "tech") in someone else's story. It was not fun. I don't think you can really know how it is going ot feel until it happens.

Shawn

Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends what "borrowed idea" means. The way I understand it, ideas cannot be copyrighted, only the precise way they are written. Consequently, we can legitimately write about a man stranded on a desert island, and even have him make friends with a native or two. Now if we start calling him Crusoe and his pal Friday.... And yet, maybe the guy recognizes his plight as Crusoe-esque and playfully calls himself.... You get the picture.

Like Shawn, I wouldn't like to see my specific characters or creations stolen, yet how many of us read a particular genre or subgenre because we see the same basic characters, from the brave hero/heroine, the dark foe, the superhero, the anti-hero, to the more specific Indiana Jones type, the suave James Bond type, the sidekick--comical or otherwise, the Darth Vader type, the rags-to-riches type. I personally love "borrowings" of The Prince and the Pauper type and don't in the least not respect the authors.

Like King Solomon wrote, "The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us."

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
mags
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for mags   Email mags         Edit/Delete Post 
[quote=srhowen]
I don't know about the rest of you---but if an idea is borrowed, I do not respect that author. Think of it this way, what if you opened a book and saw your idea "borrowed"? Would you be happy?

I've had it happen to me---seen one of my characters (and their "tech") in someone else's story. It was not fun. I don't think you can really know how it is going ot feel until it happens.[/quote]

Stealing characters is a bad thing. As a matter of fact the idea of stealing characters and ideas while not staying true to the story is such a crime that the person who wrote the script and the director for Starship Troopers (the movie, we aren’t talking Heinlein here) really should be brought up on charges – public hanging would work.

Taking technology isn’t. If someone took an idea that I have for technology and used that or even expanded on that, then to me it isn’t a problem. - which is my impression of what the person who started this meant.

If you go with the idea that taking ideas from someone elses story (ideas, not characters) should never be allowed, then we have a pretty long list of what people cannot ever write about
– trips to the moon (Verne wrote about that)
– Robots (a guy in Romania (I think) first wrote about this, and even coined the phrase)
– Genetics (Huxley wrote about that.. though I think someone else might have before him)
– Satellites (Clarke wrote about those back in the 50’s)
– … and on and on

The important thing is that you don’t just lift someone’s idea for a machine; you need to add to it. You need to make a contribution with your writing, so that when someone takes your idea, they stand taller on your shoulders than the guy you plagiarized from. ^_^

In the world of Science Fiction there are many many ideas that came from those authors which have made their way into our daily lives. – atomic submarines (Verne), waterbeds (Heinlein), satellites (Clarke), handcranked lanterns (Verne), …. Bova has a list of items that he predicted the discovery of through his books, including virtual reality. Many of those haven't made their ways into our lives yet, but the ideas live on.

One nice thing about using the ideas of technology that others have come up with, and expanding on it… is that the government and/or companies aren’t spending millions of dollars coming up with these ideas, because the sci-fi writers have already looked at an idea – like the battle armor – and have through their stories helped to figure out what could be plausible and what wouldn’t work – what the limitations are, etc. Which is why the battle armor that Heinlein used was large and bulky because it was based on Survo-Mechanical, as opposed to the nanotechology that is being postulated about currently. One thing to keep in mind is that Starship Troopers and Heinleins body armor came out in like 1959 – not recent – and although we aren’t using armor of that type in combat, we do use something extremely close in deep sea diving in order to allow a diver to work at extreme depths and still remain in an one atmosphere environment.

Another thing… the positronic brain that Asimov used in his robot stories is the same that Data uses in Star Trek… so there the idea was used, but the characters weren’t.

As a side note: Arthur C. Clarkes story “Searchlight” got him investigated by the American or British (I’m not sure which) military, because techniques described there were very close to research that was being done at the time.

Last item - ideas' aren't copyrightable, but they are patentable. Though I'm not sure that most writers have through through their ideas well enough and feel it is important enough to file for a patent.

[This message has been edited by mags (edited March 01, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by mags (edited March 01, 2003).]

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
AMMOND
Member # 1601

I stand corrected.

Re: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/5118/metric.htm

Enders Star
Member # 1578

Shawn I expect to get published, maybe one day, if I'm lucky. Anyways I don't even expect to become popular. But when you say characters I must say that I would be angry, I was directing toward techs not characters. If somone copied mine I would feel annoyed and angry.
Survivor
Member # 213

Yotta! Now that's a lotta...something

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.