Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Religion & Fanaticism

Author Topic: Religion & Fanaticism
Fahrion Kryptov
Member # 1544

- posted      Profile for Fahrion Kryptov   Email Fahrion Kryptov         Edit/Delete Post 
Not being an excessively religious or radical person, I find it difficult to relate and understand the driving force of a radical or a fanatic. However, in my story there are these people behind the antagonist (merely because of religion) that have the ability to sway the general public in their favor. What would be their thought processes that would drive them to do the whim of their hideous leader? I have been assured of the feasibility of this, and may even point to, say, Charles Manson and the psychotics who would gather around him at his release. I cannot completely understand why though. I am not asking for much, but any help would be appreciated.
Posts: 101 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought
Member # 111

- posted      Profile for Thought   Email Thought         Edit/Delete Post 
First you must understand that no human ever does something that they believe to be "bad" or evil. That is, even if they know this before or after the incident, at the time they justify it. As such to make it belivable you must at least know how those fanatics can view their actions as being good. How do they justify it morally, or example? It isn't enough to just say that "our religion says so." You need to provide the reasoning and the conditions that make that reasoning acceptable to the people.

I hope that helps at least a little

Just a random

Thought

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
JP Carney
Member # 894

- posted      Profile for JP Carney   Email JP Carney         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for one, they don't see their leader as hideous, or at the least they feel that his actions are justified and validated within their religious beliefs. If they follow the guy because of their religion, then he, or his goals/actions need to be tied to it somehow. There needs to be a connection. And if this is a sect of a larger religion in your world, then one conflict twist could be that they are twisting the meanings of passages to suit their beliefs and actions, which sets them off from all of the other believers in the "main stream" religion.

Just some thoughts.

As for their mindset...hmmm...I'll say this. The thing to remember is you're talking about religion - faith. For some that can be very "factual" - point to the passage in their holy writings and say "that proves what I mean". For others it can be very emotional, personal, saying that the writings give guidance, but I "know" things because they are in my heart, not because they can be proven.

Or something like that. Maybe this will give you some food for thought.

JP

Posts: 151 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
For storytelling purposes, it can be handy if part of the hideous leader's message is something the followers want to believe. For example, Hitler told the German people that they were better than everyone else. Jim Jones told his followers that they were special. L. Ron Hubbard told his followers they would get to be involved in a cool space battle (or something like that).

Figure out something the followers want to believe about themselves (e.g. they want to be superior, immortal, popular with chicks, whatever). Have the hideous leader tell them that following him will give them exactly what they want. You might even slip into the POV of one of the followers briefly, showing how seductive the beliefs are to him/her.

This is not the only way such fanaticism has worked in the real world, but it is a good way to build a story.

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited March 18, 2003).]

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 1597

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Since you used the example of Charles Manson, I'll tell you a little bit about how he worked. Maybe that will help you.

Charlie is a con man, and like most con men, he knows just who to target. His specialty, when he was out and running around, was to target young women who were not particularly attractive and/or who were estranged from their family and shower them with compliments and affection. Basically, he flattered them into trusting him. This worked really well with adolescent and post-adolescent girls who were starved for male attention but didn't have much of it because they weren't "pretty" enough. He also used drugs, once he got them to trust him, and a semi-religious rap about how he was both God and the Devil.

This worked quite well for him, as was evidenced by what happened to one of my best friends. The Spahn Ranch, where he and his followers lived while they were going out and killing people, was just a few miles from where I lived at the time. I was in junior high then, and one of my best friends started hanging out up there to go horseback riding (his followers ran a horesback riding business at Sphan). This friend of mine was an exceptionally bright girl, but he had her believing his rap. She never joined up with them, but when Charlie and the rest were arrested for the Tate-LaBianca murders, the first words out of her mouth were that "Charlie would never have anything to do with anything like that." And she really believed that. I don't know how she feels about it now, as we lost touch during high school, but she fell for his line, just swallowed it whole, because he made her feel special.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not being an excessively religious or radical person, I find it difficult to relate and understand the driving force of a radical or a fanatic.

This is exactly the attitude that drives fanaticism. They think that they are normal, that they could never be completely out of touch with reality.

You are human, and that means that you are capable of terrible evil. The fact that you do not know that is an indicator that you are quite vulnerable. When we imagine that we are not capable of doing something truly evil, at that moment we are probably involved in or at least condoning atrocities.

Remember that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. It is not because there is any lack of bad ones, but because when we imagine that we can do no wrong, we do it without thinking.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
JP Carney
Member # 894

Survivor, I can't tell if you are sincerely trying to asnwer the question or are making personal characterizations of Fahrion. I hope it's the former though I don't really see it.

[edited]

The points raised by the other posters all hit right on elements - justification of their actions, being told things they want to hear, praying on the weak. Keep in mind they are all possible pieces, possible approaches to creating your fanatics. You could take one angle, or all of them.

There is also the element of faith - believing without proof. Believing in your heart while not really knowing in your mind. Or knowing something in your heart even when it doesn't make sense in your mind, because of your faith in something higher, more important, more mysterious than you.

Fehrion, try thinking about unconditional faith in other ways than religious. For example, my faith in my wife. I have no doubt she is faithful to me, and my love is unconditional. But she's human, so she could cheat on me, right? My brain says so, my intellect says it's possible, but my heart, my faith says it'll never happen. Not exactly the same, as I don't go around praising my wife to the world and doing unspeakable acts on her behalf as the fanatics you are talking about might; but it's an example of unquestioned faith that might trigger other ideas for you to help you understand a bit about the fanaticism you're trying to create and write about.

I think the blind faith element is key in any of it - somehow the people in your story believe without question something that might not intellectually make sense to them (or us, hence why we call them fanatics).

Does that help at all?

JP

[This message has been edited by JP Carney (edited March 18, 2003).]

AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely keep in mind the idea of "secret knowledge." Some ideas or concepts which are dazzlingly brilliant to the fanatic, but which most people do not buy. The fanatic believes that, if only the world understood what he knew, they would also achieve some sort of enlightenment and agree with everything that the fanatic believes. Either that, or they are evil and will try to hide or destroy the truth to prevent the wonderful enlightenment from occurring to the world. The only reason not to accept the truth is to destroy it, and only for evil purposes.

So the world becomes divided into two camps. Those who know and believe like the fanatic, and who try to make the world into a better place (if not paradise). And those who refuse to accept the knowledge, and therefore try to destroy that knowledge and keep the world in the horrible state that it is in (if not make it into an actual Hell). There is no middle ground.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Come on, JP. I'm pointing out that fanaticism is normal for humans. Is there any believe less logically consistent than moral relativism? Taken to its logical conclusion, it denies the value of logic itself. Yet many people, especially those that claim not to be fanatical, are irrationally devoted to it. That is just the way humans are.

I don't know Fahrion from Adam, but the driving force behind fanticism is the inability to percieve one's own fanaticism. If a person is able to step back and realize that they are a fanatic, then they are able to evaluate their "unquestioned" assumptions.

We all have beliefs that we accept as unquestioned assumptions (at least, I assume that I have such assumptions as well, and I know that all normal humans have them). I would point to all the other posts to show that the point is common, but of course I feel that my presentation is punchier

Anyway, as a practical means of examining how fanatics feel, find some religion or culture that you find truly fanatical and evil. Then imagine that they are the dominant culture all of the sudden, and how you would feel about that. Viola! You know what how it feels to be a "fanatic". You think that you are normal, and everyone else is deluded.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Moral Relativism denies the value of logic? Where did you get that, Survivor?

How can any belief deny the value of logic?

Oh, now I get it. You must've dated the same girl I dated many years ago.

I'd say all beliefs transcend logic. Belief implies a conclusion beyond available evidence. A conclusion within available evidence is mere information. If beliefs were nothing more than information, we wouldn't need the word "belief."

Is any of this helping you, Fahrion?

HopeSprings
Member # 1533

- posted      Profile for HopeSprings   Email HopeSprings         Edit/Delete Post 
For a classic demonstration of fanaticism at work, you could visit the various religious threads occurring on the other side of the forum.

(Tongue-in-cheek people)

Posts: 70 | Registered: Nov 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I dated the same girl as you? That's quite a coincidence.

Taken to its logical conclusions, moral relativism indeed does deny the value of logic. As a matter of fact, many cultural relativists already embrace this point, particularly with regards to rigorous mathmatical and scientific logic.

Nihilism also denies the value of logic...but does so in the only logically consistent manner it is possible to deny the value of logic--that is, as an a priori postulate

The belief in logic can be said to transcend logic, since it has to be accepted without logical proof (besides, what would be the point of a logical proof of something if you didn't yet accept the value of logic?). To an extent, so can belief in a lot of things connected with the idea of logic...but not all beliefs can be said to transend logic, just as most reasonable beliefs cannot be said to "transcend" evidence. Usually if a belief has to be held in the face of a contrary body of evidence and logic, then we call it unreasonable (as long as it is someone else's belief, that is).

Such beliefs cannot be said to "transcend" logic and evidence, because logic and evidence can dissuade reasonable people (that is, those that believe in using logic and evidence already) from holding them.

I would say that most beliefs fall into this catagory. I believe that I am sitting in front of a computer. I base this on information such as my sense data, my memory of sitting down in front of a computer, my knowledge about what a computer is and so on and so forth.

Because the conclusion that I am sitting in front of a computer can only be drawn from available evidence if I accept logic and evidence (both of which I ultimately have to take on faith), it is not simply information. If I reject logic and evidence, then I will not necessarily come to the conclusion that I am sitting in front of a computer. In the final analysis, I have to believe that I am sitting in front of a computer.

JP Carney
Member # 894

We're talking about religion, religious faith, religious beliefs and religious fanaticism. The religious element in the discussion, for me, means that "logic" and "facts" and "proof" and "evidence" don't really hold sway, because religion is the realm of "beliefs" and "the unknown" and "mystery" and "faith". Simply having the religious beliefs doesn't make one a fanatic. It's what one does with those religious beliefs that make them fanatics in other people's eyes.

A Zen Buddhist holds certain religious beliefs, despite any "evidence" you might show to "disprove them". This doesn't make him a fanatic. Now, if he has some distorted view that makes him slip mickeys into everyone's drink to "put them in the supreme meditative state to reach enlightenment" then we might think he's a fanatic.

Another thing to think about, Fahrion, is that fanatics are likely to be a minority. If the majority of your world acts like fanatics (because you veiw what they do as bizarre, fanatical, from your perspective), it probably holds that THEY view the minority in the story as the fanatics, the people that aren't conforming. You'll need to keep the perspective of your world in mind when writing about them.

Perhaps thinking about perspective, what the majority believes and why, how it differs from the minority, what the fanatics do that make others in your story describe them as fanatical (it's not just their belifes, but their action on those beliefs) - maybe that will help you get into the motivations of the fanatic. The 'why they do what they do' of it all.

JP

Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, that's the point I was trying to make. Fanaticism is a matter of your point of view.
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Fanatics do tend to have undesirable qualities, but to me I think it has to be rooted in faith. Most people have the need to believe in something greater than themselves. And if you look at most of the followers of cult groups (which generally run towards fanatisism) they are usually social outcasts. People who have little to no friends, very young and idealistic but impressionable, people just getting out of a tramatic experience, and many more.

If your story is going to be based around religion, maybe you might go to different religious services and observe what works. If you were to go to a catholic mass then you will see ritual symbolism everywhere. When they walk through the door the use of holy water, and the word/phrase responses. Watch the people as well as the priest. Whether you believe what is said or not isn't as important as what the other people believe. Some churches tend to be more energetic with thier message, and others are out right scarry to me.

What I'm trying to say is that if you can see the somewhat normal people in their religious environment that will give you a brief glimps at where religious fanatasim tends to start. If someone is a fanatic based on God, they will be looking for followers that already have part of the belief system they are using.

Also a lot of how a leader of a religious cult acts would be based on his belief in what he is saying. Most of his followers will want desperatly to believe everything he says.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Survivor, if you are saying that fanaticism is common, then I'd agree. If you are saying that fanaticism is automatic, then I disagree.

But it seems that your position is that any information contained in a human brain is a "belief." By that definition, belief that the ocean contains water is not really different from beilef that God loves you or belief that the Tower of London is haunted by the ghost of Anne Boleyn.

If this really is your point, then I strongly disagree that this position is common to all people, whether they are fanatics or not.

Fahrion, I recommend that you concentrate your religious fanaticism on a belief in the supernatural. As long as the hideous leader preaches a dogma that can never be refuted by the laws of nature (e.g. everything happens because Zeus wills it, or bad things happen when The Great Cat in the Hat is displeased with you) you will have a good fanaticism going. If you start using logic and reason, then your fanaticism might be really cool, but it will be much harder for readers to grasp.

Fahrion Kryptov
Member # 1544

- posted      Profile for Fahrion Kryptov   Email Fahrion Kryptov         Edit/Delete Post 
This has indeed helped me with my writing... I think that my fanatics are logical reasoning persons that do not think of themselves as fanatics but as angry people. This hideous leader controls the press, using it as propoganda to move his people against Kryptov, especially since he makes irrefutable points such as "These men are opposed to me with every fibre of their being and plot to destroy me." and with Quante being a very emotion-reality linked area, the opponents of the hideous leader are warped by their hatred into even more hideous 'monsters' thus making the populus prefer the humanoid figure than the monstrous bloodthirsty band. As time is too short in my hectic life, I now must wrap this reply up, but thanks to all who replied.
Puretext
Member # 1611

- posted      Profile for Puretext   Email Puretext         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, you can be fanatical about anything. Just take a single tenet and make it inviolable.

"The sky is blue" for instance:
The sky is absolutely, undenyably, incontrovertably blue. God make the sky blue, and blue it will always stay.

People who say that sometimes the sky isn't blue, for instance, when the sky is overcast or it's nighttime, are hypocrites and liars. Can't they see that even then the blueness of the sky is merely hidden? What is with these people? Can't they see the inherent dangers in multi-colorism? What if they come up with a way to obfuscate the colors of traffic signals? "The light isn't red when it's overcast." That's the kind of thinking that causes a public menace. Color relativism! California stops! Rolling through the intersection instead of stopping. People can get killed that way.

Next thing you know, there's a sniper at the intersection watching for people running red lights.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, killing red-light runners is extreme, but also quite logical, since the kind of person willing to run a red light when they know they could be shot for doing so is probably going to kill innocent, law-abiding people sooner or later.

What you need is for that same mentality to apply to people saying things like "red sky at morning, sailor take warning, red sky at night, sailor's delight." And then forbidding scientists from using spetroscopic measurments of the sky, and eventually outlawing astronomy, meteorology, and even just looking at the sky. The sky is blue, and that's that, so why does anyone need to look at it anyway unless they're the sort of heretic that doesn't believe the sky is really blue?

Doc, humans instinctively seek to answer questions they lack the information to draw informed conclusions about. An informed conclusion is one that is supported by "information" (sense data, logic, memory, etc.). But it is not itself raw information. It is a conclusion, and you have to either believe it or not. Uninformed conclusions are also beliefs.

We both agree that uninformed conclusions are "beliefs", but you don't agree that an informed conclusion is a "belief". But if we say that only uninformed conclusions are "beliefs", then we make "belief" a simple pejorative. To say you "believe" anything is simply to admit that you are completely uninformed about it.

I believe that the sky (right at this moment) is black with white bits, or really dark grey. I base that on the fact that looking out the window, it is dark outside, and my experience that when it is dark outside the sky is usually either black with white bits or really dark grey. It is an informed conclusion, but still only a belief. I don't have current sense data telling me the actual color I will see if I look at the sky, and I don't have any proof that it would be impossible for the sky to be...say, pink right now.

It is an informed conclusion, but not knowledge, nor information, but only belief.

I believe that the ocean contains water because experience and science tell me that water flows downslope and will end up in the ocean. Also, whenever I've gone to an ocean (having gone to several), I experienced that it was full of water. And of course, logically, if it didn't have water, it wouldn't make much sense to call it an ocean. I believe that God loves me because logically, the only alternative it that He doesn't love me, and that leads irrefutably to nihilism, which would mean that the ocean doesn't exist either. I also have experiences and so forth that support the idea that God loves me (though I will not share them here). I do not believe that the Tower of London is haunted by the ghost of Anne Boleyn, nor do I disbelieve it, I simply do not have enough information on the subject to know. Where I to believe it without having at least some evidence that it is probable, it would indeed be a different kind of belief, but it would still be a belief, just as my other two beliefs are.

But holding beliefs is necessary for a human being to function (if you don't have any beliefs, you cannot learn to talk, interact socially, or make decisions). Humans therefore hold beliefs whether or not they have evidence sufficient to back up a belief, since they cannot function without a belief system. It is a simple fact (a medical fact--in fact ).

kwsni
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
OT-
It's nice to see Thought around again.
/OT.

Ni!

Posts: 177 | Registered: Mar 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
It is an interesting thought that humans cannot function without a belief. What about animals such as dogs(domestic) wolves, lions, apes. There are certain animals that have a definite social structure that enables them to function as a whole...do they have beliefs; do they reason about the meaning of their beliefs? Or is it all instinctual?

Is there a difference between belief and faith? Do we believe something because we have some sort of evidence to back it up and is faith accepting something wholeheartedly without any shred of proof?

Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, none of the animals that you mention have language at the same level that humans have language. I would argue that when you teach a gorrila language, that it then becomes possible for it to have beliefs. Evidence of this is found in the fact that Koko and other apes that have been taught to use symbolic language are capable of lying, and they aren't any good at it. They know when they are saying something that isn't true, and that means that even when they don't say what they believe, they do believe it. I can't speak to whether this is innate in any primates other than humans, since they don't have a language per se of their own.

I would tend to believe that dolphins have language at a high enough level. Their language may well be even more advanced than human language. But it is not clear whether their language serves the same symbolic role in consciousness that human language serves. So far, all evidence of complex language native to dolphins has been of a concrete nature, and while dolphins can easily learn to understand simple English, there has been no work with abstract concepts. Their natural language may well be limited entirely to communication of sense data and memory, without referance to abstract concepts at all (what I understand about dolphin psychology would tend to suppor that idea).

Of course, I would say that the difference between belief and faith is that you're willing to act on your beliefs if you have faith. I believe that the ocean is full of salt water, and I believe that drinking salt water will cause death by dehydration. This is merely intellectual belief unless I'm in a situation where the issue of trying to drink seawater comes up...say if I'm at sea on a life raft and have run out of potable water. If I have faith in my belief that seawater will kill me rather than slake my thirst, I will not drink. If I don't have faith in that belief, then I will attempt to slake my thirst despite intellectual belief that doing so will kill me.

Any faith that accepts a belief without any shred of proof is likely to be a short lived faith, if only because the person holding it is in danger of being short lived. But some things have to be accepted on faith, since short of acting on the belief, it cannot be proved. For instance, all mathmatics and logic is an act of faith. You cannot "prove" that logic or mathmatics are true. You simply have to start acting as if they are, and then you get proofs. But you still have to accept those proofs on faith in the system itself, which can never be proven true. The same is true of sense data. You cannot appeal to sense data to demonstrate that sense data is valid, you just have to accept that it is, and then see where that takes you. You get evidences that sense data is real, but there is no ultimate "proof".

I'm aware that this is a specific theological definition of faith rather than the popular idea that faith is a belief for which there is absolutely no adducive evidence. I'm not fond of that definition because it is only used by those that wish to deny any value to faith. I can claim that socialism means people that want to eat babies, but since this is not a definition that would be accepted by anyone that didn't merely want to decry socialism, it isn't very useful. It is more appropriate to define socialism as the idea that a society is more important than an individual, and therefore where there is conflict between the individual and the society, the society's interests should prevail.

In this context, belief remains as I have defined it. Most things that humans believe are suppositions based on no significant evidence whatsoever. That doesn't make those beliefs "faith". Only being willing to act on the basis of belief can be called faith (this is why it is referred to as a "leap of faith").

Most of us try not to stake a great deal on beliefs for which we know we have no evidence. But many times we don't know that our deepest beliefs are held without much in the way of evidence. We have unquestioning faith in those beliefs, because it has never occurred to us that those beliefs can be questioned. I think it was Carl Sagen who said that he would require extraordinary evidence for such an extraordinary claim in referance to the body of evidence that aliens may have visited the Earth. His implicit--and quite untrue--assumption was that aliens visiting Earth was very unlikely. All currently accepted science suggests that advanced extraterrestrial civilizations are almost certain to exist, and that they are likely to have visited Earth.

While I have a strong intellectual belief in this, I have no opportunity to demonstrate any faith in the proposition.

Marianne
Member # 1546

I don't think that a spoken language is a prerequisite to having a belief. Nor is spoken language the only means of communication. All the animals in my example have a form of communication. I think that my dog believes that if she whines enough at the back door I will let her out. She believes that when I go out the front door, I will eventually return...these beliefs come from experience. Just as a child learns if they touch a hot stove they will get burned. Then they believe that the stove can harm them.

Faith is a form of belief. It is a belief that has no tangible explanation. We accept the existence of a God on faith. We look at the magnificent world around us as say "This proves there is a God who created us." The next person, who doesn't have that faith, can look at the same world and say "This proves that there is no God...it is all chaos."
Belief is born of experience. Faith is a belief that comes for no experience, it is a choice to believe is something we have not experienced as true.

This is all supposition, of course. I don't know if I 'believe' it.

Survivor
Member # 213

Well, obviously it cannot be the case that having beliefs is a prerequisite for language and language is a prerequisite for beliefs. In that case neither would ever come to exist, and since that would be hard on the forum, we'll just throw that idea out

quote:
Belief is born of experience. Faith is a belief that comes for no experience, it is a choice to believe is something we have not experienced as true.

I'm not sure that this makes sense though. For instance, just because every time I've hit my brother in the head with a spit wad tonight he's simply shaken it off, that doesn't mean I'm more likely to believe that he'll just shake it off next time I do it. Every time he just shakes it off, I'm believe more strongly that the next time I hit him with a spit wad, he'll blow up. (this situation is hypothetical--no actually hitting with spit wads was used in the making of this hypothetical example)

Why shouldn't your dog believe that next time she whines, you'll be sick and tired of letting her out? The explaination for the countervailing belief is just as plausible as the explaination for the belief.

Besides, I'm generally incapable of having "faith" in something of which I don't have direct evidence. If I want to walk across a board between two buildings, I check to make sure that it is strong enough to hold me first. If I couldn't check it first for one reason or another, I would jump rather than put my faith in the untested hypothesis that the board will support me. So in the sense that you want to define faith, it has no meaning as far as I'm concerned. I don't have any such thing, nor do I want to have it.

Marianne
Member # 1546

Like I said...it is a choice.
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

So Survivor, you are saying that any information contained in a human brain is a belief, with the possible exception of immediate sensory observations. If I am seeing a blue sky then it is not a belief, it is mere information. But if I am assuming the sky is blue today then that is a belief. Have I got that right?

I don't think that this is the standard definition of belief, but I suppose for the purposes of developing Fahrion's ficticious religion it's good enough. If you look up the word belief, you're likely to see phrases like "without proof" or "without personal experience" etc. In typical conversation, there is a difference between and axiom, a fact, and a belief.

Fahrion's hideous leader might get some great ideas from this conversation.

Puretext
Member # 1611

- posted      Profile for Puretext   Email Puretext         Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked on Dictionary.com. No reference to a lack of evidence or support under the definition of "belief." The definition of Faith, however does have the definition
quote:
Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

In this sense, faith is much more closely alligned with trust than with belief. For instance, if I assert that I am a male, you have no material evidence or logical proof that I am so. But I can assure you I am.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

No offense, Puretext, but what browser are you using? You mean you didn't find the following?

quote:
\Be*lief"\, n. [OE. bileafe, bileve; cf. AS. gele['a]fa. See Believe.] 1. Assent to a proposition or affirmation, or the acceptance of a fact, opinion, or assertion as real or true, without immediate personal knowledge; reliance upon word or testimony; partial or full assurance without positive knowledge or absolute certainty; persuasion; conviction; confidence; as, belief of a witness; the belief of our senses.

I use the word believe all the time, usually in the context of a personal opinion. For example I believe Characters and Viewpoint is an excellent book for writers, and I believe the new Nissan 350Z is an attractive sportscar. I use the word believe because the quality of the book and beauty of the car are not facts, they are opinions.

I suppose I could use the word in reference to any information held in my brain. I might say I believe that I live in Cleveland or I believe I teach engineering. These statements would not be false, they would simply be silly. It would be unnecessarily confusing. My belief or disbelief of facts has no impact on their truth.

Although this could be a pretty cool idea to put in a story. Imagine an alien culture that expressed all information in terms of beliefs. Why would they do that? How would they view the Universe? I think this could lead to something . . .

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited March 26, 2003).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Doc, I think that we are all at a bit of cross purposes again. The phrase "immediate personal knowledge" means immediate sense data. Likewise, "without positive knowledge or absolute certainty" refers to all beliefs that are based only on a preponderance of evidence rather than absolute proof.

You only say that you know you live in Cleveland and you know you teach engineering because you regard it as silly to question those beliefs. This doesn't change the fact that you, a human, don't have an internal "GPS" sense that feeds your brain direct information (right or wrong) about your exact location on the Earth. You infer that you live in Cleveland because of information that you infer implies a location in Cleveland. You can't think of any logical alternative explanation for the data set other than your life being in a location called "Cleveland". The same is true for your "knowledge" that you teach engineering.

I believe in the value of sense data, because the preponderance of the evidence suggests to me that sense data is generally consistent and coherent. But I cannot prove it. I know that sense data comes into my consciousness, there is no need for belief there, but I don't know where it comes from, the theory that it comes from a physical body in a physical world that exists whether or not I percieve it is only one possible explaination (and not even the most likely...just the only one I think matters).

Of course, granting my acceptance of sense data, I say things like "the sky is blue (or not, as the case may be)" because I accept sense data as being a source of knowledge. Likewise, accepting the logical validity of math as a given, I say that I know 2+2=4 and so forth. Knowledge of this fact is dependent on belief in something I cannot prove.

An axiom is only an assertion on which you will base other assertions. If you require that the axiom be accepted on "faith" then it is an axiom, if you say it results from other accepted assertions, then it is a theorem. A fact is a statement about the physical world that cannot be successfully refuted or contradicted. A belief covers the entire range of things that people do, in point of fact, believe.

Anything that could--even in theory--be refuted by later evidence is a belief. Sense data is irrefutable. It might not be reliable, but if you saw something, then seeing that what you saw never happened doesn't change the fact that you saw it. But your assumption that sense data has any validity could easily be challenged if, for instance, you awoke after being "killed" in a VR sensory manipulation tank and were told that your entire life was just a video game. The same is true of logic. We simply feel that some things are logical and some are not. But we cannot prove that logic is valid. I'm not easily able to imagine a scenario where I encountered "proof" that logic is meaningless, just because that would fly in the face of logic itself, and would seem illogical to all of us. But that doesn't mean that it isn't possible.

Aliens aren't necessary. Human philosophers have long understood that almost all the truths we cling to are merely beliefs, based on other beliefs, in the end depending on the two great beliefs that logic and sense data are valid. We use different words to indicate the "lineage" of these beliefs--we call beliefs based on the belief in logic and the acceptance of the arithmetic axioms "theorems" and those derived from acceptance of sense data and memory "facts" and so on and so forth. But it is all based on nuanced beliefs.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Survivor said:

quote:
Human philosophers have long understood that almost all the truths we cling to are merely beliefs, based on other beliefs, in the end depending on the two great beliefs that logic and sense data are valid.

I very much doubt that all human philosophers agree on this point, but no matter.

If you believe your statement above, do you also believe that Schroedinger's cat is neither alive nor dead until the box is opened and the cat is observed? If the human race became extinct tomorrow, would all data in the Universe (e.g. the number of hydrogen atoms in a water molecule, the mass of the sun) cease to be factual?

If your answer is "yes, because no one would understand the words water and sun or units of mass like kilograms" then you're putting yourself in a strange situation. I'd expect you to prove that electrons didn't exist until Sir Joseph John Thompson discovered them and gave a name to them.

Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
All of you epistemological sages out there, read Jacques Maritain's THE DEGREES OF KNOWLEDGE before you write another word. What has any of this to do with writing?

Back to the original point—what causes religious fanaticism?

I think there are two things we need to consider.

(1) We must make a distinction between a person who is devout or pious and a fanatic, and the distinction does not rest on how strongly they believe in their religion. Take me, for example. I am a Catholic, and in saying that, I believe the Catholic Church possesses the fullness of religious truth. Yes, that seems like a very arrogant statement. But what if I said, “I am a Catholic but I don’t believe the Catholic Church possesses the fullness of religious truth.” Why, then, am I a Catholic? Why not become an searching agnostic? Or if I am a Mormon but don’t believe in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, why do I remain a Mormon? I submit, therefore, that anyone who is devoted to their religion MUST believe that their religion is more correct than all other religions for them to remain intellectually consistent. That is not fanaticism.

So, then, what does cause religious fanaticism or religious fundamentalism? Here’s the difference. Even though I believe the Catholic Church as whole possess the fullness of truth, I don’t believe that I possess the fullness of truth. From the fundamentalists I have spoken to, they believe that they have the only correct world-view and no one can offer them any insight unless, of course, that one belongs to the same inner religious ring as they.

Because I have a firm grip on my own finiteness and limited intellectual powers, I am obliged to listen to and learn for all—Catholic or Protestant or Muslim, Hindu or Buddhist, Atheist or Agnostic. Each has something to teach me about life and God and the religious experience. And though I must examine and think about all things in light of the Catholic faith, I do believe each has something to teach me (so long as he or she is an honest and introspective person; superficial religious chatter doesn’t help anyone). And just from reading Pope John Paul II’s CROSSING THE THRESHOLD OF HOPE, I think that the thinks that, too.

Again, the fundamentalists would not, I think, be open to such a magnanimous view of other religions. Hence, that why they usually have one book they hold on to. To have two books means that you might have two points of view you have to deal with, and at least in my experience with fundamentalists, they certainly don’t want to think very hard about God and human existence.

Thus, when you think of a religious fundamentalist, you must think of extreme religious myopia. A religious fanatic is, of course, a fundamentalists, but with a key difference: they are socially oriented and take a cause upon themselves. Thus, pro-life fanatics who murder abortion doctors; Islamic fanatics who desire to rid the world of infidels not through conversion but by flying airplanes into buildings; Southern Baptists fanatics who have made it their goal to convert the Jews; Manson's family who was committed to bringing about the apocalyptic social revolution by teaching the blacks what they were supposed to do; the Nazis who were committed to ridding the world of the Jews.

(2) Most people want life to have meaning, and when they become disenchanted with fame and money and power and sex they turn either to drugs or religion. Fundamentalism then becomes very appealing because it presents itself as the great panacea. And people like that—not just because it is easy and doesn’t require them to think too much, but because it’s a quick fix and that’s what our society is all about. As you write your story, you will need to determine why people are following this leader.

Moreover, if you’re going to write a story with a fanatical religious leader, then you have a serious question to answer—what is his circle of influence. Charles Manson, for example, had a very small circle of influence; thus, he attracted disillusioned youth. Conversely, Hitler had a very, very wide circle of influence. So here’s a question, Could someone like Manson ever achieve Hitler’s status?

Thus, once you determine the kind of fanatical leader you have in your story, you have to determine what his circle of influence is and the kinds of people he attracts. The more well-educated his followers, the more intelligent and charismatic the leader.

I hope this helps.

PS - And no, I don’t plan on answer any questions about my religious views. What has that to do with writing?

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited March 27, 2003).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yes, well...now I have to go back to my original post.
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not being an excessively religious or radical person, I find it difficult to relate and understand the driving force of a radical or a fanatic.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is exactly the attitude that drives fanaticism. They think that they are normal, that they could never be completely out of touch with reality.

You are human, and that means that you are capable of terrible evil. The fact that you do not know that is an indicator that you are quite vulnerable. When we imagine that we are not capable of doing something truly evil, at that moment we are probably involved in or at least condoning atrocities.

Remember that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. It is not because there is any lack of bad ones, but because when we imagine that we can do no wrong, we do it without thinking.

If you want to know what fanatical people are like inside their own heads, look inside your own head. Perhaps I put it more clearly in another post.

quote:
Anyway, as a practical means of examining how fanatics feel, find some religion or culture that you find truly fanatical and evil. Then imagine that they are the dominant culture all of the sudden, and how you would feel about that. Viola! You know what how it feels to be a "fanatic". You think that you are normal, and everyone else is deluded.

I consider Schroedinger's cat to be a brilliant demonstration of why some of the assumptions underlying some current models of quantum indeterminacy are rationally incoherent, not least because they are saying that something magical happens that it is impossible for us to observe happening. This makes them very interesting theories, but it also means that such theories are not science. Quantum physics can do very well sticking to what can actually be observed, thank you very much.

If the human race became extinct tomorrow, then no humans would have beliefs. This should be obvious. The fact that humans have beliefs doesn't mean that their beliefs define reality, and I've never suggested such a thing. I'm rather shocked that you could so profoundly misunderstand me as to suggest that I ever implied such a thing, that I would ever imply such a thing.

To get back on point, if you lived back before Sir Joseph John Thompson demonstrated the existence of electrons, and you believed in them and went around trying to convince everyone else that such thing existed, you would be right...but you would also be a crackpot or a fanatic. Whether or not someone is a fanatic has nothing whatsoever to do with whether they are right. It has to do with the relation they stand in with respect to the larger society.

Consider for a moment a small group of people who know that a global thermonuclear war will occur if a certain computer science researcher continues his work. They will do whatever is necessary to stop his research, including killing him and destroying his lab. The fate of the world is at stake. These people are fanatics. The fact that they are able to persuade the scientist to join them in destroying his lab and all his research doesn't change the fact that they are fanatics, it only means that he is now one of them. Whether or not they are right, they are still fanatics.

Anyone that really believes that something can be really true is a potential fanatic if they believe something different from the rest of society and care enough about it to actually act on that belief.

Take fundamentalists again. They believe that their eternal salvation depends on strict adherence to some principle of religion. It might be proselyting to Jews, it might be blowing them to hell. The point is that if everyone else agrees with them, they are not fanatics at all. It doesn't matter if they are right or wrong. Back when everyone believed that the Earth was flat (which hasn't been the case for at least three thousand years, but oh well) it wasn't possible to have a fanatical belief in the flatness of the Earth. Today anyone that believes such a thing is clearly a loony.

To use another example, imagine that you lived in Nazi Germany, and you have figured out that the worst rumours about what they are doing to the Jews are true. What do you do? If you're a halfway decent person, you break the law and begin supporting insurgent groups to the limit of your ability. Lots of Germans actually did this (well, a few thousand anyway, which isn't really a lot out of millions of Germans), and a lot of them died for it. They were fanatics...but if you have even a spark of decency you'll at least hope that you would be one of them.

Often society at large is wrong, often dreadfully wrong, and reasonable people will become fanatics. Often it is the fanatics who are dreadfully wrong. But when you say of yourself, "I could never be so mistaken," you are setting yourself up to blindly believe in error.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Survivor, how can society at large be dreadfully wrong, unless "wrong" is being judged by an even larger society?

I'd say that if you disagree with most of the human race you aren't necessarily a fanatic, but you certainly could be.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

To Balthasar:

I agree that our personal religious views have little or nothing to do with writing. However, discussions about the meaning and interpretation of words have a lot to do with writing, and the particular words we are discissing are absolutely essential to the subject of Farhion's inquiry.

Survivor
Member # 213

Well, it could be wrong as judged by a later society.

It isn't the semantics of the words that we're trying to nail down here. We're talking about how do you portray a fanatic, and some of you are talking as though fanatics are somehow fundamentally different from normal people, and I'm saying they generally aren't. That's what it comes down to in the end. A fanatic is just an ordinary person that believes something--rightly or wrongly--both personally important and incompatable with what everyone else believes.

AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you need to have beliefs that are "incompatible with what everyone else believes" to be a fanatic.

Many people believe that believing in Christ will save a person. But most won't go and kill someone over that belief.

Just about everyone believes that keeping a house clean is important. But a "cleaning fanatic" will keep it spotless to the point that no one can enter.

A sports fanatic...well, we all know.

I would say that it is the extremism that makes a fanatic. When a belief becomes more important than anything else--than common morality, than one's own health, than one's own family, than our most important laws--that is when the belief has moved into the fanatical.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Narvi
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Narvi   Email Narvi         Edit/Delete Post 
An entire society certainly can be wrong -- they can be wrong with respect to the physical world. A society could believe that the planets orbit the earth, or that AIDS causes HIV. (Granted, we can't be absolutely 100% certain that these are wrong, but if we've somehow messed up here, there are still other facts in the world).

Consider a more modern example, with relevance to fanaticism. There is an outstanding question of whether or not human activity has a statistically significant effect on the earth's ecology. (If you feal I've phrased the question ambigously, rephrase with proper statistical jargon.) This is a factual question, with an answer of either yes or no, and the opposite answer is wrong. The current dominant belief in American society is no.

Some people believe yes. Some people believe yes so strongly that they (for example) chain themselves to trees. Are they fanatics? They may well be right. If they are right, are they still fanatics?

Before we get too far into definitional matters, I would propose that they see themselves the same way that fanatics see themselves: this is the future of the world... mainstream approaches have failed... there's no time for alternatives....

Of course, the law of reversability holds. See Larry Niven's Fallen Angels for the opposing fanaticism.

Use whichever side you're more inclined to agree with as a psychological model.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Thanks Narvi. I was beginning to feel a bit beseiged
Fahrion Kryptov
Member # 1544

I find all these things helpful. Not meaning to desparage anyone, (Balthasar), but everything typed thus far on this thread seems revelent. I did have a question, though, on why people need so desperately (no pun intended) to have something that they can accept. Since the beginning of civilization there have been religions that explain why things are as they are. What makes us need to grasp something as being reality when indeed it may only be a figment of our imagination(s)....
Survivor
Member # 213

Because we have to make decisions, and if we want to have language and society, we have to be able to express our reasons for doing things in terms a bit more sophisticated than "because I felt like it."

There are basically two ways that people believe things. The first way (which we all admit to) is that we believe something, therefore we act to take advantage of a benefit or avoid an injury implied by the thing we believe.

The other way we "believe" things is to desire to do something, then make up a story that will justify what we want to do. Usually, both of these processes are involved. If you ask most children why they stole a cookie there will be the actual belief that cookies are tasty and they could steal one without being caught--which they will not generally admit--and the "belief" that it isn't fair for them not to get a cookie.

But to function as social langauge users, we need to have those beliefs...and we need both kinds if we are to be successful. If we lack "motive" beliefs, then we have no ability to consciously plan our actions...everything would have to be based on raw instinct. Without "nominative" beliefs, we could never explain or justify our actions to the community to which we belong.

Of course, there is the idea that an honest person--one with complete personal integrity--will use the same set of beliefs for both roles. I think that most of use at least approach this...in some relationships.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.