Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Beating the Bad Guy

Author Topic: Beating the Bad Guy
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
As I progress through my novel, I spend more time soul-searching, comparing my work to books I've liked and books I've disliked. I now find myself flirting with something I might not like, and I'd appreciate your learned opinions.

I liked Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, but was a bit disappointed by the end. Yes, the good guys won and the bad guys lost, but the main good guy didn't kill the main bad guy. For some reason I really wanted to see him do that. Instead, just as the bad guy was escaping, another character zoomed in out of nowhere and . . . kaboom!

Have you ever seen that happen? Did it bother you?

Or what about when some of the bad guys are punished, but some of them get away? I'm thinking of the original Star Wars, where the Death Star blows up but Darth Vader escapes.

In my story, I've created four or five nasty villains. They all do disgusting things, in addition to opposing the hero every chance they get, and reader should hate them all. But my main story arc is a mystery, and in the end only one of them will be guilty of the main crime. The reader should assume that the other villains are still out there making trouble for future stories.

I'd hate to write a really good story with an unsatisfying ending. Must I punish all the villains for the reader to feel satisfied?

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
teddyrux
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for teddyrux           Edit/Delete Post 
The reason Darth Vader got away in Star Wars is so there would be a sequal. If you have 5 really bad guys and only 1 gets it in the end, why have 5 really bad guys? You could have 5 bad guys with some redeeming qualities. If you're thinking, even remotely, of doing a series or a sequal, then you may want the other 4 to get off.

I recently read a novel where the long assumed-dead mage appeared at the end of the story to save the day. The hero would have been dead. That's a disappointing ending.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Marianne
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for Marianne   Email Marianne         Edit/Delete Post 
sounds like Lord of the Rings, Teddy.
Posts: 173 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
another character zoomed in out of nowhere and . . . kaboom!

If it was truly "out of nowhere" then it would probably be a wholly unsatisfying ending, smacking of contrivance. But if the reader was already familiar with the character, even if said character was a late-comer to the story, it would be plausible and maybe even play as a final plot twist.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
A "satisfying ending" is entirely subjective. What one reader will find satisfying another may find contrived. So it only matters is if, in the context of the story, you find it satisfying or not. In other words, is the main conflict resolved?

Whether villains getting away is "satisfying," well, life certainly is not satisfying in that respect. (Of course, to the villain, he would find that extremely satisfying! )

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
srhowen
Member # 462

- posted      Profile for srhowen   Email srhowen         Edit/Delete Post 
Writer's Digest just had an article on BAD GUYS. If you don't get the magazine then go to the libary and give it a raed--good advice.
Posts: 1019 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if at least one bad guy gets it, especially if it’s the main villain, I personally would be satisfied. Or satisfied enough that I didn’t through the book across the room in disgust when I finished it. The reader has got some closure that way, and that’s the important thing with endings.

Not to derail the topic, but I read that article on villains in April’s Writer’s Digest and I didn’t ring right to me. The part about knowing your villain’s background, and making him a worthy adversary for the hero – that’s all good stuff. The problem I had was that the author pretty much seemed to be saying that the villain had to be ‘bad to the bone’ for him to work at all, which seemed much too limiting and flat. Not that that sort of archfiend character doesn’t have his place, but what about adding a bit of texture to the character in the way of redeeming qualities or having a villain be someone simply on the opposite side of an argument (A villain of perspective, if you will). There is more than just one variety of villain out there.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that you have to ask yourself is whether the protagonist has come to a resolution of sorts. At the end of Star Wars: A New Hope Luke and Han and the gang are all satisfied. Sure, the Empire hasn't been destroyed, nor did they "get" Darth Vader, but they're alive and the Death Star is no longer a threat. In Empire Strikes Back everything goes wrong and they barely get away (without Han) but at the end they are able to stop running and settle down to work again. And of course, at the end of Return of the Jedi the Empire is destroyed and everyone is happy...for now.

Once the hero is no longer driven to action, the story has a resolution of sorts. Your hero can still be active, for instance if he makes a vow to hunt down all the remaining villians, but because the internal crisis that motivated the story has been resolved (i.e. he now knows that he is the one that must hunt down the remaining villians).

Just don't do what Sagan did in his book Contact. In that book, three major tensions are raised to provide the dramatic tension for the story. Is there a God? Will she fall for this guy? Will anyone believe that they've really been contacted by aliens? At the end of the book none of these tensions are resolved! All the tensions that are resolved in the book are resolved well before the climax and termination of story (there is no "resolution" to the story as a whole).

Whatever driving tension moves the protagonist throughout the story must be resolved for the reader to feel that the story is actually over.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Thank you all for your excellent advice.

Kolona, in the story I mentioned the "out of nowhere" character had a brief scene earlier in the book. The ability to zoom into any scene at any time and do tremendous damage was mentioned, but not demonstrated at that time. The "goodness" of this character was never established, even in the final scene. This character didn't even know the bad guy. His function in the story was to zoom into the climactic scene from hundreds of miles away, kill the bad guy, and disappear. It turned out that all the hero's efforts to beat the bad guy weren't important, since this character was going to come in and kill him anyway.

Survivor, here's my problem: the protagoinist's main motivation is to solve a mystery. As he does this he confronts several suspects, and all of the suspects do nasty things to him. In order to have a satisfying plot twist, the real "killer" is not the most evil of the suspects.

Here's an example:

Imagine a Batman trying to solve a murder. During his investigation, The Joker tries to unmask Bruce Wayne, the Riddler tries to steal the Batmobile, and Catwoman tries to seduce Batman to embark on a life of crime. All of these tension-building distractions cause Batman (and the reader) to suspect that one of the supervillains must be the killer. But in the end it turns out that the killer was Bobby, the victim's jealous and insecure boyfriend. To make matters worse, Bobby is a friend of Alfred the Butler, and Bobby was also the one who saved Bruce Wayne's secret identity in an earlier scene. Yet Bobby goes to prison while Joker, Riddler, and Catwoman remain free.

After the murder is solved, Batman (and the reader) will still be pissed off at Joker, Riddler, and Catwoman. But the supervillains are also pissed off at him, setting up great potential for a series.

In my book, the reader will have some sympathy for the person who gets punished. But the characters that the reader hates the most will get only mild punishment, and some won't get punished at all. Though I expect to give them their comeuppance in a later book . . .

AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
The story you outlined sounds fine to me.

Did you ever see the Woody Allen movie "Crimes and Misdemeanors"?

[**SPOILER**] Martin Landau's character has his wife murdered, but he is never caught, and his life actually improves. Meanwhile, Woody Allen tries to do the right thing and is punished because of it.
[**END SPOILER**]

Sometimes, the person who is the least guilty gets punished. That's just how life is. Make a point of it, how the hero is upset that the nicest guy gets the worst punishment, and you will have a good ending. Perhaps not the most popular one, but you can't bend every story to a popular ending. (If you can, get to Hollywood right away. You'll have a great career there. )

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Doc, from what you describe, I'm wondering if the author couldn't come up with a good ending and went back and wrote the out-of-nowhere character into the story--and maybe not too well if your reaction as a reader is any indication--for the express purpose of showing up at the end to kill the bad guy. Kind of a lazy way out?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Kolona, I don't think that's what Neal Stephenson did. I think he knew the reader wanted the bad guy to die, but he didn't want the hero to get his hands that dirty. The hero did defeat quite a few minions, including the villain's main "muscle," but he never killed anyone.

It did come as a surprise to the reader, but IMO it was not a good surprise. Like the "out-of-nowhere" character, the hero was described as powerful and dangerous (though the hero did not have the ability to appear out of nowhere). The hero was physically capable of killing, but he was just too much of a nice guy to follow through with it. So just as the main villain was making his final escape, the "out of nowhere" character appeared and did the dirty work for him.

JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
My problem is bringing some sort of characterization to the bad guy. Especially in a fantasy setting told solely through the protagonist’s POV. If your heroes are on a quest and the bad guy is off doing bad things far away, every so often setting up roadblocks for the good guys—you really never get to KNOW the antagonist. Will his death have any meaning?????

As far as the original question; personally, that’s my new beef with mainstream film. The bad guy ALWAYS dies. It’s rather annoying and altogether banal at this point. Shit, let the bad guy win. Screw satisfying—at least it would be a change.

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I'm with AndrewR, that sounds like a potentially brilliant Batman episode (in a dark, edgy sort of way ).

Doc, the way you describe what happened, it was indeed a stupid ending. John has a point that it would have been better to let the bad guy get away as a result of the protagonists unwillingness to get his hands dirty. If the villian really had to die, you could always use the trick where the hero has him dead to rights and the villian attempts something truly desperate and risky in his bid to escape, thus killing himself.

I'm curious if you can think of any literary reason that Stephenson would use his "surprise" ending rather than a less contrived device. Perhaps he used his Jack in the Box character to make a philosophical statement about the essential pointlessness of heroism or to provoke a transitional epiphany in the hero that served as the true climax of the book. I rather doubt it (I imagine that if he had been doing any such thing he would have signaled the audience that this was the real meaning of Jack in the Box). But go ahead and think about it (you're trying to figure out ways to resolve your own story, neh?).

chad_parish
Member # 1155

- posted      Profile for chad_parish   Email chad_parish         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it when the bad guys win...... but I can't make a sale to save my life; no doubt there's a correlation in there somewhere.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jun 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

I don't want to criticize Snow Crash too much. It really is an excellent book. I think my description doesn't do it justice. Let me clarify:

The bad guys were really bad. They were murderers and thieves, torturing innocent people and sexually molesting little girls. The good guy was a genius whose main skill was in uncovering their plot for world domination. The fact that he was trained and equipped to kill was secondary. He defeated enough minions that we knew he was capable of getting the bad guy. But the writer went out of his way to make sure the hero never got the chance to kill the villain.

I honestly think that Stephenson's reason for this ending was a moral one: he didn't want his hero to be a killer, but he also didn't want his hero to be a coward. So Stephenson put the villain just far enough ahead of the hero that the hero never had to make the moral choice of whether or not to kill.

The "out of nowhere" character was not particularly good or evil. He came out of nowhere and killed the villain because the villain had done something evil earlier in the book. So the bad guy did die because he had been bad.

Again, I like Snow Crash very much. It's the best book I've read in years. I recommend it highly, especially if you want exposure to a fresh and exciting sci-fi writing style.

GZ
Member # 1374

quote:
My problem is bringing some sort of characterization to the bad guy. Especially in a fantasy setting told solely through the protagonist’s POV. If your heroes are on a quest and the bad guy is off doing bad things far away, every so often setting up roadblocks for the good guys—you really never get to KNOW the antagonist. Will his death have any meaning?????

How do you characterize any character not the POV character? You may not get to know the antagonist internally, but you’re going to have all the other character’s reacting to him, and the POV’s impressions and observations, etc of the antagonist creating a persona for the reader.

As for whether he death has any meaning, that hinges strongly on what the antagonist has come to mean to the protagonist. If it means something to the protagonist, and the reader cares about the protagonist (which we hope he does by the end of the story), then the defeat of the antagonist is going to have meaning.

quote:
I think he knew the reader wanted the bad guy to die, but he didn't want the hero to get his hands that dirty. The hero did defeat quite a few minions, including the villain's main "muscle," but he never killed anyone.

I haven’t read the book, but doesn’t that sound like the writer was being a bit too easy on his character? I see this whole other aspect developing where the hero has to face the consequences of winning (which maybe he did anyway, but this would raise the stakes a notch, I would think). Skirting around him getting his hands dirty seems like that might be cheating the story out of a layer of depth, especially if it was replaced with a bit of a “out-of-the-blue” ending.

Hmm… Now I want to pick up that book to see if that whole line of story-telling logic actually makes sense.

Survivor
Member # 213

I'm seconding GZ on this one...or actually two

The audience experiences the story through the POV character for a reason. It is actually easier to get the audience to care about whether or not a villian dies by giving them the POV of a person with whom they can comfortably identify, then giving that character reasons to care one way or the other about the villian. If you try to put them in the villian's POV, they will probably not relate easily to that point of view (and if they do they won't regard the character as a villian) and you'll lose them.

Wanting to keep your hero's hands "clean" in a story that demands the death of the villian is a cheap trick. Even most Disney movies allow the hero to kill the true villian, if necessary. It would be more interesting if the villian was set up to be redeemable (at least in the hero's eyes), and the hero is trying to avoid the villian's death, but then the villian dies (horribly) as an indirect result of the hero's actions. Or on the other hand, if the hero is all set to kill the villian, but then that is snatched by someone else. In one case, the hero doesn't intend to kill, but does so, and in the other, the hero intends to kill but does not.

But having it be morally necessary that the villian die, then having the scruples of the hero spared by a Deus Ex killing the villian, is just rank cowardice on the part of the writer--unless you then explore the moral dilemna of the hero benefitting from an action he wouldn't willingly do or condone.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

This whole conversation is trashing a really great book. I'm sorry if I've ruined Snow Crash for anyone here. If you want to discuss the philosophy of its ending then please read on, but there are bound to be spoilers ahead.

Snow Crash takes place in two worlds: the real world and a Virtual Reality world generated by computers on the Internet. One of the main dangers of the book is that the bad guy has created a Super Weapon that can damage your brain if you are exposed to it in the Virtual Reality world. Thus, there is real danger in the VR world.

There are also virtual weapons in the VR world. They work just like weapons in the real world, except that when you "die" you are simply ejected from the VR world. The book's hero is the world's greatest swordsman, capable of killing in either world.

During the course of the book, the hero wins many sword fights in both worlds. In the real world he always fights in self defense and never actually kills anyone. In the VR world he "kills" many times.

The hero did kill the villain, and he did it many times. Usually the hero was in mortal danger while the villain was in virtual danger, so these well-written scenes were packed with tension. At the climax of the book, the hero "killed" the villain, dispatched his minions, and destroyed the Super Weapon in the virtual world. In the real world the villain was defeated, but was making his escape. Then the other character swooped in out of nowhere and killed the villain in the real world.

To better grasp the situation, imagine this alternate ending to Star Wars: A New Hope . . .

Luke Skywalker has blown up the Death Star. The Rebellion is saved, although Darth Vader survived in his TIE fighter. But just before the ending credits roll, a chunk of the planet Alderaan (destroyed by the Evil Empire earlier in the movie) suddenly smashes Darth Vader's TIE fighter to oblivion.

What would you think of that ending?

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited March 25, 2003).]

Survivor
Member # 213

I don't get it. Is there an actual reason for the villain to die or not?
Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be a very lame ending for Star Wars.

And, true, why kill the antagonist?

Forget what "the reader wants" - give them what the story demands. Your exploration of characters and their relationship should determine that.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

It's a legitimate question, Survivor. Would audiences have been disapointed if Darth Vader died in the end of Star Wars: A New Hope? Was there a reason for him to die?

In Snow Crash it was a very similar situation. The villain was just as evil as Darth Vader, and the reader hated him just as much as viewers hated Vader.

Survivor
Member # 213

I know it's a legitimate question, that's why I asked it.

Vader isn't the major tension. None of the characters hate Vader personally. They just want to save the Rebel base from being blown up along with any planets sympathetic to the rebellion. The destruction of the Death Star is the major tension, Vader is just one of the bad guys. His being cast into outer space in his little one man fighter seem symbolically appropriate (of course, at the time we all thought that was a short range fighter like the TIE fighters). But even if he weren't cast into outer space, he isn't the one that made the Death Star. He doesn't have the power to go around blowing up planets on his own hook. So his escape doesn't negate or diminish the victory over the Death Star.

As I understand your description of Snow Crash, the villian created the superweapon, and could create another one unless he is actively prevented from so doing. So I would think that catching him is necessary and is known by the protagonist to be necessary. Therefore, it is necessary that the hero have a plan for either killing or imprisoning the villain so that he can't resume his evil plot. It is also necessary that the villian be captured or killed for the story to be resolved.

If imprisonment is not a viable option (say in the future access to the virtual world is a basic right, even for convicted murderers...or better yet, they can't convict this guy because legally it was a VRinterface malfunction that killed the users, and this guy has a legal codicil that gets him off the hook), then killing or incapacitating him is the only option. In that case, the hero must have a plan for that. And the villian must be killed or incapacitated for the story to resolve.

Unlike Vader, this villian isn't merely tangentially connected to the main tension of the story. He created it, could create it again, and will do so unless prevented from doing so. Of course, this post hasn't addressed the idea that the hero believes he can redeem the villian (either the villain has been warped to evil by some external agent or the villian doesn't realize how evil he's being--he just thought the super-weapon would give his enemies a nasty enough shock that they wouldn't hassle him in VR anymore, he doesn't know that it's killing people). If the hero is trying to redeem the villain, then the story doesn't require the villain's death (though artistic considerations still may).

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Survivor, you have some excellent points.

I did leave out an important tidbit about how the hero destroyed the Super Weapon. He essentially found a cure. The Super Weapon was malevolent software, sort of like a virus, and the hero wrote his own software the could detect and destroy the Super Weapon any time, any place. The book could have implied the possibility the the villain could make a stronger Super Weapon, but it didn't. Destruction of the Super Weapon seemed final.

In Snow Crash, the escape of the villain would not have negated or diminished the hero's victory. Imprisonment was not an option, since the story takes place in a sort of libertarian utopia in which all governments are very weak.

Frankly, I remember the villain's main muscle more vividly than the villain himself. The main muscle was VR "killed" by the hero a couple of times. In the end the muscle was physically killed by a mafia boss instead of the hero. That was slightly disappointing, although I forgive it because the method of his defeat involved an ingenious plot twist. I remember that I wanted the main villain to die, both because he had done such awful things and because he was a threat to the world. I also remember that I wanted the hero to kill him. I'm not sure why I wanted that. It's probably because the hero had demonstrated the skills required to kill that I wanted him to actually do it.

[This message has been edited by Doc Brown (edited March 27, 2003).]

Survivor
Member # 213

I think that your instincts on this are right.

Point one, if a software based entity can cause a hardware malfunction that kills the user, then any software patch that would disable that software entity could be bypassed by a new software based entity, because the defect it exploits is in the actual hardware not solely the software.

Therefore, it is implicit that a new weapon could be created. The fact that this is regarded as improbable only demonstrates that the villian is likely the only one that has both the ability and motive to make a new weapon. The ineffectual state of government authority in this situation would render imprisonment a nonviable option, which means that the villian's death is indeed necessary.

Therefore, your feeling that the Deus Ex ending was solely to keep the hero's hands "clean" is probably correct. More importantly, even if Stephenson had a more compelling literary reason for the ending, he failed to make it apparent to you. Thus your sense that there was no good reason for the ending is borne out by your actual experience reading the book.

Avoid this in your work. The protagonist has to come to grips with the resolution of the story. If you ever kill a character that must be killed while keeping the protagonists hands "clean", then you are cheating the protagonist of the chance to come to grips with the story's resolution. It is okay if another character actually kills the villain, but in that case the protagonist has to approve or else grapple with the fact that he has benefited from this act, whether or not he approves of it. Otherwise the protagonist suffers from moral myopia, if he is not an outright moral imbecile.

Of course, moral myopia isn't fatal to a protagonist, but if a reader doesn't quite share that condition, the effect will be to undermine the resolution of the story.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Ultimate spoiler ahead:

One key to the book was that the human brain has an underlying "machine language" which was the original human language before the Tower of Babel. At that time, someone learned to write "code" in that language that could trigger madness. The message sisn't make sense, bur anyone who saw or heard it would instantly go mad.

The hero wrote a program that could detect this message and erase it.

If Stephensen wanted to write a sequal, I suppose he could have had the bad guy write a different "machine language" program . . . perhaps causing enslavement or violence instead of madness. But the hero had definitely disabled the madness Super Weapon.

In retrospect, my desire to have the hero kill the villain is very selfish. The story could not have ended at that point, because the hero was a nice guy. Even though he was an excellent swordsman, he would have been traumatized by the act of drawing blood, let alone killing someone.

Based on this conversation, my current plan is for the hero solve the mystery and the criminal be punished. But the supervillains who try to thwart him at every corner will remain free to antagonize him another day.

Survivor
Member # 213

What the...?!?

Okay, granting the rather...completely insane premise, I'm wondering how the hero was able to write a program that could detect the code if it was something that was picked up by the human brain directly. I mean, it could be sent in any kind of multi-packet encryption as a raw data file like a picture or audio format and just waft right through the filters unless the hero actually assembled a program capable of intercepting not just a particular sequence but also of anything that could be reassembled into a representation of that sequence, and to do that wouldn't he have to know what the message was? In fact, how did the villian figure out the message...or is that how he became the villian?

Okay, now you're saying that the hero was an excellent swordsman in both the virtual world and the real world, and he would have been traumatized by the act of drawing blood? That is a different issue, but a good swordsman cannot be traumatized by the act of drawing blood, you just can't be any good with a sword unless you have the ability to set that aside.

Chronicles_of_Empire
Member # 1431

- posted      Profile for Chronicles_of_Empire   Email Chronicles_of_Empire         Edit/Delete Post 
The point about Darth Vader dying was that it was only after achieving redemption. It was a character plot line.
Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Narvi
Member # 1376

- posted      Profile for Narvi   Email Narvi         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have Snow Crash in fron of me, but,
quote:

A couple of tough guys came over to Hiro, "Hey, are you a nigger or a kook or what?"

"Isn't there a New South African embassy up the street? Why don't you go hang out there in racial purity?"

"Yeah, it's a real nice place up there, only one problem -- no one to beat up!"

"Thank you for making your intentions clear"

"What good does it do you?"

"It justifies my doing this."

He cut the mans head off. What else was he going to do?

I've probably botched that, and I apologize if anyones offended by the language, but Hiro does kill people. I think he kills some more guarding the small raft.

I thought the ending worked. The book isn't about the adventures of Hiro Protagonist, it's about the effects of the massively interconnected world, with so much power hanging around. Having the final attack come from out of (almost) nowhere is appropriate.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

You know, I'm pretty sure you got it right, Narvi. But I still don't understand why I wanted Hiro to kill the bad guy.
Survivor
Member # 213

Just perfect. Well, you can all now officially ignore most of my comments specific to this story.

Doc, you wanted Hiro to kill the bad guy because the bad guy is bad and deserves to be killed, and Hiro has committed himself to opposing the bad guy and it just naturally seems that he ought to be the one that kills him. By the way, I think my sister read this book and described it to me in such a way as to persuade me I wouldn't like it much (she thought it was a penetrating commentary on the modern world).

JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He[Vader] doesn't have the power to go around blowing up planets on his own hook.
Ah, but the power to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Lol, I'm such a nerd.

I'm afraid my question resurrects a point made earlier that wasn't exactly central to Doc's original post (sorry about that). Characterising the villian when he/she isn't POV character was raised earlier, but how do you characterise him/her if they're manipulating events from afar? Is that even possible?

JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Hildy9595
Member # 1489

- posted      Profile for Hildy9595   Email Hildy9595         Edit/Delete Post 
JK, in answer to your question, here's what I've done in my book, which also involves a villain that works from a distance, behind the scenes:

I characterized him partially through the reactions of those around him, his "minions," for lack of a better word. As the hero gathers more and more information in his attempts to find out who the Big Bad is and what he's got planned, he learns about the villain through the descriptions provided by the minions. This way, the hero (and the reader) get a physical description, personality assessments, motives, etc., all before the Big Bad takes the stage.

I also have the villain make an appearance within the first couple chapters. He is not identified at that time as the Big Bad, but clues are dropped for the reader that lead to an "ah-ha, that's him!" as they continue on in the story.

For the record, I also set up a situation in which the Big Bad is not destroyed by the hero, but by another main character. However, the hero enables the killing to take place, so even though it isn't his hands around the villain's neck, he's still the reason it gets done.

Of course, this is just one way to handle the whole thing. I'm sure other folks here have their own ideas!

Posts: 338 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
uberslacker2
Member # 1397

- posted      Profile for uberslacker2   Email uberslacker2         Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably way off topic, but what about villians that aren't people. The main villian in my story is something inside humans, that desire to create something so we can kill better. In the end (at least in my world) it's impossible to destroy that urge which obviously means that the villian can't be destroyed. But the story comes out of the two main characters and what they begin to believe during the story. It's basically just a psychological journey. So how do I deal with antagonists being killed if most of them aren't really significant? I'm rambling and I don't really see the point of this question. Nevermind

Uberslacker

Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Uber, it's perfectly acceptable to have the main conflict be an internal one. While it's probably more common external conflict to be central in novels, with internal conflicts on the side, it ought to make an interesting story.

Typically, this involves an identy crisis. The protagonist can only defeat an internal antagonist by changing his/her own personality. After this happens the character is no longer the same person he/she was before. In your story, your character want to change the personality of the entire human race. If they succeed, it would re-define the meaning of the word "human." The human race would become something new. Cool idea!

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

JK: I can think of three excellent examples from movies. LOTR: TT gave us Saruman and Sauron, both of whom manipulate things from afar. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back gave us the Evil Emperor (Palpatine).

Based on these examples, I think you need to reveal the following:

Motivation: What makes this villain do what he/she does? What is his/her goal?

Power: This supervillain must be very powerful. Show your readers some examples of this power. Make them tremble with fear.

Determination: Your villain will not give up the fight. Make it clear to your readers (and at some point to your hero) that this villain is bound and determined to win at all costs.

That's about it. When a villain is manipulating things from afar, you don't need to give much background information on this character, or go into his/her personal habits. In fact, it's better if you don't give humanizing details about them. That makes them scarier. If you knew that Saruman had a puppy named Rex, or Emperor Palpatine liked Vanilla Coke, you wouldn't fear them so much. But having events manipulated from afar by a mysterious villain . . . that's terrifying.

Survivor
Member # 213

For the same reason, you don't have to make a positive analysis of the motivations of the villian. Just establish that he doesn't have any motives that would justify what he's doing.

For instance, we don't really know why Palpatine really wants to rule the galaxy, but we do know that he isn't doing to secure harmony between various races, or to help the Jedi keep the peace, or to keep the peace. And that makes him more frightening than Vader, who really got into this whole thing because he wants to end slavery and impose peace and avenge the death of his mother and so forth.

Penboy_np
Member # 1615

- posted      Profile for Penboy_np   Email Penboy_np         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to get back to the main question, do _you_ feel satisfied with your ending? Do the other 4 getting away make you feel satisfied that the book ended 'right'? If so, then send it to a few people, see if they feel the same way. If they do, shoot it at the publishers.

Side note: I think any story, about anything with any ending can be both amazing and satisfying. It all depends on how it's written.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, to clarify my first post, the main dramatic tension of the story must be resolved in order for the story to be complete. Since your main dramatic tension is catching and punishing the actual perpetrator of a particular crime, once that happens the story is complete.

We got a bit sidetracked on a related issue, which is whether it is necessary for the protagonist to be the one that acts to resolve the tension. I'll just go ahead and say that this is the definition of a protagonist--the character that acts to resolve the main dramatic tension of the story. I don't think that the protagonist has to do everything that leads towards a resolution, but he should play the most significant role.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Thanks, everybody.

Penboy, I do feel satisfied with my ending. In fact, during the course of this discussion I have resolved to make the ending a bit more uncomfortable for one or two of my side villains, and I find myself even more satisfied. But I'm still wary about leaving the most evil (but least guilty) villains running free at the end of my story.

Survivor, I appreaciate your help in understanding my protagonist's role in the final resolution. That is what allowed me to discover extra ways for my hero to punish the side villains. But the original question was more about whether it's okay to leave some villains unpunished. I realize that it's possible, but does it weaken the story?

If I only punish half the villains, does it weaken my story by 50%? What if I only punish 10% of the villains?

It's still a valid topic for discussion.

GZ
Member # 1374

You know, if you don’t punish all the villains, you’ve left a door open for a convenient sequel.

I just finished Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier (Fantasy). While several of the conflicts were more internal in nature, there were a couple of clear-cut bad guys. One of them bit it in punishment, off screen – but it was okay. He’d already failed to thwart the heroine and was effectively neutralized anyway. The other, main villain, which put the heroine in her the difficult position in the first place, rather disappeared without a trace for some reason. She too, was thwarted, but not exactly in a confrontational way. Her only punishment was that she didn’t win; nothing bad happened to her at all.

None of this bothered me when I was reading it nor did it weaken the ending for me. (I’m a bit bothered now about the disappearing thing though not the punishment part, now that I’ve started really thinking about it, but at the time it didn’t, which was the first impression. This is also the first book in a trilogy, so villain carry over may be being used here. It also is, I believe, a first book though, so it wasn’t probably planned as a trilogy from the get-go, and was for argument sake, completely contained otherwise.) I was much more disturbed by the behavior of some of the other “good” characters, which had gotten priggish and a hair ungrateful by the end. This irritated me much more that the villain aspects.

So, what I was trying to illustrate with all that is that it is the balance of aspects within you ending that makes it strong. There might well be an equation, but its more complex than “if I punish x number of villain, my ending will be y much stronger” (to over simplify). It’s okay not to punish everybody, so long as the other aspects of the ending are resolved in a satisfying manner for the story arc. It think that especially works if the hero has overcome the obstacles the villain put up. Now if not punishing flies in the face of everything else that happened and it is critical for story arc resolution, then you might have a problem. But from what you’ve said that doesn’t sound like the situation in your story; the main problem is resolved.

Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah...well, that works better for a series than a novel with a sequel. I'll reiterate my first post. The main dramatic tension that moves the story must be resolved for the story to be complete.

The main dramatic tension that begins the protagonist's journey in Doc's story is the pursuit of the actual perpetrator of a particular crime, therefore the story is complete once the perpetrator of that crime is brought to justice. Other, secondary tensions are raised with respect to other antagonists, but these do not demand resolution since a major aspect of those tensions--suspicion that one of the other antagonists might be the perpetrator--is resolved by the resolution of the main tension--catching the actual perpetrator.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Well put, Survivor. But that makes me question what readers find to be a satisfying "resolution." My hero is tracking the guilty party while various "supervillains" are putting obstacles in his way. He overcomes all the obstacles and identifies the guilty party for punishment. These are the resolutons I have planned.

But is it enough to have the hero overcome the obstacles? Will readers consider triumph over obstacles sufficuent resolution to those obstacles? Will it be stronger if the hero also defeats each villain who created the obstacles?

My intention in allowing some villains to remain unpunished is to leave room for sequel(s). But I don't want this book to suffer for it. I want this book to be as strong as possible, standing on its own merit. Each resolution should bhe satisfying.

Survivor
Member # 213

Well, you can never have the hero utterly destroy everyone that hinders him. Ender only used ultimate force against three of his enemies...but there were many other characters that hindered him or placed obstacles in his way.

I think that if the action naturally allows your hero to deal with a villian, then he shouldn't refrain from doing so...but there are a lot of things that can plausibly stand in the way, including the simple morality (or legality) of it. Ender never kills Bernard, for example, because there is never a compelling justification for it.

Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Good point.

Bernard wasn't as cruel and disgusting as the characters I'm throwing at my hero, at least to readers who are Americans in 2003.

I wonder if that makes a difference? Perhaps the reason I wanted the villain in Snow Crash to die was because he was cruel. If a villain commits evil acts like greed or vanity I'm satisfied to see the hero simply overcome the evil acts. But if the villain is cruel, I want the villain to be punished in proportion to the cruelty.

This is very interesting. It may lead me to make a significant change in my book. I've got a character with a mild cruel streak (a new type of cruelty I invented as sci-fi dressing for my world) to whom I intended to give mild punishment. He or she would be an ongoing thorn in the hero's side.

In the sequel, I planned to explore this new form of cruelty with a totally different character. This character would take the cruelty to great extremes, necessitating a severe punishment. The problem is that the sequel will really wring this cruelty gimmic for all its worth. If I wrote a third or later book, the mildly cruel character would seem trite.

But I could turn my mildly cruel ongoing character into the main villain for the second book. If he/she is not punished in the first book, he/she might sink into indulgent depths of terrible cruelty for the second. Thus the second book could resolve itself with this character being punished for his/her cruelty in both books.

This could be a great idea. I've just got to figure out a way to leave the cruel character unpunished in book one, yet still give it a powerful ending.

Thanks, all!

Survivor
Member # 213

One way to justify a degree of restraint is for the hero to successfully redeem some of the minor villians. Bernard was cruel, the kind of kid that "tortured kittens for fun" in the words of Alai. Alai was one of his followers at first, but then Ender befriends him. That may not hold out much hope for Bernard, but it does justify Ender in not fighting over it.
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

Oh yes, Bernard was cruel. But I think my character will be worse. Plus he/she is pretty disgusting, too, at least to an audience of 2003 Americans.

Thanks.

Survivor
Member # 213

Then why don't you aim for a larger audience?

Sorry, I couldn't resist

Fahrion Kryptov
Member # 1544

- posted      Profile for Fahrion Kryptov   Email Fahrion Kryptov         Edit/Delete Post 
Who's he going to aim at then, 1536 Tajikistanis?

I think that perhaps if you [temporarily] removed your villain from causing any immediate danger to your hero (like say, Darth Vader after A New Hope), you can leave space for both a powerful ending and a strong sequel, like if he seems to reform and goes away. (Kind of a lame example, but I hope you know what I mean). Or, if you are completely certain that a sequel will be written, the minor villains may be dealt with while the greater remains elusive. Some ideas...

-Fahrion Kryptov

Posts: 101 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.